Pedestrian Accident Lawyer Affton, MO
Serving All Missouri Personal Injury VictimsView Full Service Area
Pedestrian Accident Lawyer Affton, MO. As a pedestrian, you should not have to fear for your safety doing something as simple as strolling down the sidewalk or roadside. In Affton, MO, there are laws in place to protect you, designed to allow pedestrians and motor vehicles to share the same space. Somehow though, day after day, Affton, MO accidents between motorists and pedestrians continue to happen.
If you or a loved one has been injured in a Affton, MO pedestrian accident, call the Missouri Injury Law Firm immediately at 636-333-1717 or reach out to us for a complimentary, confidential consultation. Our Affton, MO pedestrian accident lawyer will meet with you as soon as possible near Affton, MO to discuss your case and protect your interests. If you have sustained injuries and have lost work and wages because of the Affton, MO accident, you need an expert pedestrian accident lawyer from Missouri Injury Law standing by your side.
What Are My Rights After a Affton, MO Pedestrian Accident?
If you’ve been injured in a Affton, MO pedestrian accident, you may be able to recover damages under state law. In Missouri, accident victims have five years from the date of the accident to file a personal injury suit against the at-fault party. In Illinois, you have two years to file a claim. After your accident, don’t wait to call our Affton, MO skilled pedestrian accident attorney at 636-333-1717 or reach out to us to help you understand your rights and assist you in fighting for the compensation you are entitled to.
Damages may include, but are not limited to:
- Medical costs — Serious Affton, MO injuries can run up thousands of dollars in medical costs. Covered costs vary from case to case but frequently include:
- Doctor visits
- Medical devices
- Follow-up care
- Pain and suffering — Affton, MO pedestrian accidents can create dire physical and emotional pain. When an injury or accident near Affton, MO, generates physical and emotional stress, the law allows you to claim these as damages. Some examples include:
- Loss of enjoyment
- Lost wages — If you sustain a serious injury in Affton, MO, you may not be able to return to work immediately. In the event you can’t get back to work, your Affton, MO pedestrian accident lawyer may ask for future wages.
- Wrongful death — Sadly and unfortunately, some Affton, MO pedestrian accidents may be too severe for your loved one. In such a case, you or a family member near Affton, MO, may have a wrongful death claim. This kind of claim may include:
- Pain and suffering
- Medical costs
- Lost wages
- Loss of guidance
- Loss of consortium
- Outstanding medical costs
How Common Are Affton, MO Pedestrian Accidents?
According to a recent report from the Governors Highway Safety Association, there were an estimated 7,485 pedestrian deaths in 2021, an increase of 11.5 percent from the previous year. This is the largest number of pedestrian fatalities in four decades. From 2010-2020, pedestrian deaths increased by 54 percent while other traffic deaths combined for an increase of 13 percent.
In addition to the GHSA data, the report also analyzed the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's (NHTSA) Fatality Analysis Reporting System to further review safety trends. The research showed a staggering statistic: The percentage of speeding-related pedestrian deaths among children younger than 15 in has more than doubled since 2018, from 5.8% to 11.9%.
There were 1,341 reported pedestrian accidents in 2021 in Missouri alone, with 1,118 injuries and 132 deaths, via the Missouri State Highway Patrol.
Because of these staggering and unsettling numbers, the NHTSA and the Federal Highway Administration started “Everyone is a Pedestrian” to curb accidents. The initiative offers resources, including the following safety tips for Affton, MO pedestrian and drivers:
8 Safety Tips for Affton, MO Drivers
- Look out for Affton, MO pedestrians everywhere, at all times.
- Use extreme caution when driving in hard-to-see situations, like nighttime or bad weather in Affton, MO.
- Slow down and be ready to stop when turning or otherwise entering a Affton, MO crosswalk.
- Yield to pedestrians in crosswalks and stop well back from the crosswalk to give other Affton, MO vehicles an opportunity to see the crossing pedestrians so they can stop, too.
- Never pass vehicles stopped at a Affton, MO crosswalk. There may be individuals crossing where you can’t see.
- Never drive under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs in Affton, MO.
- Follow the speed limit, especially around people on the street, in school zones, and in Affton, MO neighborhoods where children are present.
- Be extremely cautious when backing up and be on the look out for Affton, MO pedestrians.
8 Safety Tips for Affton, MO Pedestrians
- Follow the rules of the road and obey all signs and signals in Affton, MO.
- Walk on Affton, MO sidewalks whenever they are available.
- If there is no sidewalk, walk facing traffic and as far from traffic as possible.
- Cross streets at crosswalks or intersections in Affton, MO. Look for cars in all directions, including those turning left or right.
- If there is no crosswalk or intersection, find an illuminated area where you have the optimal view of Affton, MO traffic. Wait for a gap in traffic allowing sufficient time to cross safely; keep looking for traffic as you cross.
- Look out for Affton, MO cars entering or exiting driveways, or backing up in parking lots.
- Stay away from alcohol and drugs when walking in Affton, MO; they impair your abilities and your judgment.
- Welcome walking as a healthy form of transportation in Affton, MO — get up, get out, and get moving.
Call our Affton, MO pedestrian accident lawyer today at 636-333-1717 or contact us for a complimentary, confidential consultation.
What Are the Common Causes of Affton, MO Pedestrian Accidents?
There is no sugarcoating it, Affton, MO pedestrian accidents are scary. In addition to the GHSA and NHTSA reports of increasing annual pedestrian accidents, our Affton, MO pedestrian accident lawyers have seen a rise in the severity of the injuries. The Missouri Injury legal team can help you or your loved one in Affton, MO receive the compensation you are entitled to under the law. Common causes of Affton, MO pedestrian accidents include:
Speeding is dangerous. Yet, it is one of the most common reckless behaviors drivers participate in on the road in and around Affton, MO. On average, speeding contributes to approximately 30 percent of annual U.S. traffic fatalities. A collision with a pedestrian can be catastrophic under normal speeds. When a Affton, MO driver is speeding, the results can be deadly. Not only does speeding increase the risk of injury or death in Affton, MO, it increases the chance of an accident occurring at all. A speeding vehicle needs more time to stop. The Affton, MO driver also has less time to react. By the time a Affton, MO pedestrian notices a speeding driver is approaching, they essentially have little time to react.
We all have seen the warnings about texting and driving in and around Affton, MO. Sending or receiving a text takes a Affton, MO driver’s attention off the road for at least 5 seconds. In that amount of time, which, at 55 mph, equates to driving the length of a football field with your eyes closed, a pedestrian could be crossing the street; a light could turn red… so many things could happen. Along with texting, other causes of Affton, MO distracted driving include:
- Adjusting the radio
- Talking to passengers
- Talking on the phone (even with a hands-free device)
- Navigation systems
Driving Under the Influence
Driving under the influence is careless. Approximately 32 people die each day in the U.S. because of a drunk driver, according to the NHTSA. Worst of all, these deaths were all preventable. Driving under the influence in Affton, MO hinders an individual’s decision-making skills and can affect motor reflexes. Other dangers in Affton, MO include:
- Difficulty concentrating
- Blurry vision
- Delayed reaction time
- Reduced ability to track moving objects
- Decreased alertness
- Inability to multitask
Failure to Yield the Right of Way
Affton, MO pedestrians depend on Affton, MO drivers to follow right of way laws. When a driver fails to yield the right of way, a Affton, MO pedestrian has little time to act. Accidents at intersections, when a driver runs through a traffic device or when they fail to look for pedestrians before making a turn, are commonplace failures to yield the right of way.
Bad weather, darkness, sunlight, or structural obstructions in Affton, MO can create poor visibility for drivers. During these kinds of conditions, drivers need to exercise extreme caution. Things a Affton, MO driver can do to limit the risk of an accident include:
- Reduce driving speed
- Limit distractions
- Ensure safety devices, including headlights, are in working order
- Pay extra attention to hazards and pedestrians
- Allow extra following distance
- Yield at intersections
Call our Affton, MO pedestrian accident lawyer now at 636-333-1717 or contact us for a no-cost, no-risk case review.
What is My Affton, MO Pedestrian Accident Worth?
While the only way to correctly evaluate the types of damages in any injury claim is through an intricate investigation of the case, our Affton, MO pedestrian accident lawyer can help you understand what your case may be worth by gauging:
- The specific circumstances of your Affton, MO pedestrian accident
- Who was at fault and if you shared any blame
- The kind of injuries sustained and their severity
- Whether you suffered permanent impairment, disability, or disfigurement
- How your injuries affect your quality of life moving forward
- The strength of your negligence case
- The amount of insurance coverage available
What Are Common Affton, MO Pedestrian Accident Injuries?
A Affton, MO pedestrian is no match for any type of motor vehicle, no matter the size or scenario. If you have been hit by a car or a truck, or even a golf cart, your well-being is the main priority. At Missouri Injury Law, our staff of Affton, MO pedestrian accident attorneys can help direct you to the care you need and fight for the compensation you and your family deserve. Several of these injuries may or may not be obvious at the time of the Affton, MO accident. If you show any symptoms of a significant condition, seek medical attention right away. And then phone a pedestrian accident lawyer at Missouri Injury Law immediately at 636-333-1717 or contact us. Common injuries after a Affton, MO pedestrian accident are:
- Brain Injuries
- Difficulty concentrating
- Mood changes
- Changes in sleep patterns
- Spinal Cord Injuries
- Extreme neck or back pain
- Numbness or tingling
- Difficulty walking
- Difficulty breathing
- Loss of bowel or bladder control
- Extreme neck or back distortion
- Broken Bones
- Cuts, Bruises, and Skin Abrasions
- Mental Health Injuries
Motor vehicle accidents are one of the leading causes of traumatic brain injuries. If you have been in a Affton, MO pedestrian accident where you bumped your head, you need to watch for any of the following symptoms of TBI, as they can quickly ramp up in Affton, MO, and turn life-threatening:
Motor vehicle accidents are the number one cause of spinal cord injuries in the U.S. The severity of the impact of a Affton, MO pedestrian accident can cause serious swelling that could eventually result in permanent paralysis. Symptoms of a spinal cord injury in Affton, MO are:
The human body is not designed to sustain the force of a 2,000-plus-pound vehicle. For this reason alone, broken bones are commonplace in Affton, MO pedestrian accidents.
Cuts and bruises might seem like minor injuries after a Affton, MO pedestrian accident, but they can lead to severe complications, including infections.
There is no way to completely understand how someone feels after a traumatic Affton, MO pedestrian accident. We all experience feelings and emotions differently. After a Affton, MO pedestrian accident, it is normal to feel intense anger, sadness, and confusion. If you are having difficulty after a pedestrian accident in Affton, MO, do not hesitate reaching out for help. Our pedestrian accident lawyer can put you in touch with the right professionals. Call us today at 636-333-1717 or contact us in confidence.
How Do I Prove Who Is Liable for My Injuries In a Affton, MO Pedestrian Accident?
To prove that a driver was at fault for causing your Affton, MO pedestrian accident injuries, your pedestrian accident lawyer near Affton, MO, must prove the following:
- The at-fault driver owed you a duty of care to drive their vehicle safely and legally.
- The driver breached their duty of care when they took an action that violated the duty of care.
- This breach of duty resulted in a pedestrian accident that injured you, and your injury caused economic and noneconomic damages.
Your Affton, MO Pedestrian Accident Lawyer | Missouri Injury Law Firm
The pedestrian accident lawyers at Missouri Injury Law have dedicated their careers to fighting for Affton, MO residents who have been injured due to a driver’s carelessness. We are passionate about making sure that you and your family are stress free while we fight for maximum compensation for your Affton, MO injuries and damages. See what our Affton, MO clients feel about our legal representation.
Phone one of our Affton, MO pedestrian accident lawyers at Missouri Injury Law today at 636-333-1717 or reach out to us online for a free and confidential case review near Affton, MO.