Pedestrian Accident Lawyer Alton, IL
Serving All Missouri Personal Injury VictimsView Full Service Area
Pedestrian Accident Lawyer Alton, IL. As a pedestrian, you should not have to fear for your safety simply walking on the sidewalk or roadside. In Alton, IL, there are laws in place to protect you, designed to allow pedestrians and motor vehicles to share the same space. Somehow though, day after day, Alton, IL accidents between motorists and pedestrians continue to occur.
If you or a loved one has been injured in a Alton, IL pedestrian accident, call the Missouri Injury Law Firm immediately at 636-333-1717 or contact us for a no-cost, no-risk consultation. Our Alton, IL pedestrian accident lawyer will meet with you as soon as possible near Alton, IL to discuss your case and protect your interests. If you have suffered injuries and have lost work and wages because of the Alton, IL accident, you deserve an expert pedestrian accident lawyer from Missouri Injury Law fighting in your corner.
What Are My Rights Following a Alton, IL Pedestrian Accident?
If you have been injured in a Alton, IL pedestrian accident, you may be able to recover damages under state law. In Missouri, accident victims have five years from the date of the incident to file a personal injury suit against the at-fault party. In Illinois, you have two years to file a claim. After your accident, don’t hesitate to call our Alton, IL professional pedestrian accident attorney at 636-333-1717 or contact us to assist in understanding your rights and helping you fight for the compensation you deserve.
Damages may include, but are not limited to:
- Medical costs — Severe Alton, IL injuries can run up thousands of dollars in medical costs. Covered costs vary from case to case but often include:
- Doctor visits
- Medical devices
- Follow-up care
- Pain and suffering — Alton, IL pedestrian accidents can create serious physical and emotional pain. When an injury or accident near Alton, IL, brings about physical and emotional stress, the law allows you to claim these as damages. Some examples include:
- Loss of enjoyment
- Lost wages — If you suffer a serious injury in Alton, IL, you might not be able to return to work as soon as you might like. In the event you can’t return to work, your Alton, IL pedestrian accident lawyer may ask for future wages.
- Wrongful death — Sadly and unfortunately, some Alton, IL pedestrian accidents may be too severe for the survival of a loved one. In this case, you or a family member near Alton, IL, may have a wrongful death claim. This kind of claim may include:
- Pain and suffering
- Medical costs
- Lost wages
- Loss of guidance
- Loss of consortium
- Outstanding medical costs
How Common Are Alton, IL Pedestrian Accidents?
According to a recent report from the Governors Highway Safety Association, there were an estimated 7,485 pedestrian deaths in 2021, an increase of 11.5 percent from the previous year. This is the largest number of pedestrian fatalities in four decades. From 2010-2020, pedestrian deaths increased by 54 percent while other traffic deaths combined for an increase of 13 percent.
Alongside the GHSA data, the report also analyzed the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's (NHTSA) Fatality Analysis Reporting System to further review safety trends. The research revealed a troubling statistic: The percentage of speeding-related pedestrian deaths among children younger than 15 in has more than doubled since 2018, from 5.8% to 11.9%.
There were 1,341 reported pedestrian accidents in 2021 in Missouri alone, with 1,118 injuries and killing 132 individuals, according to the Missouri State Highway Patrol.
Because of these staggering and unsettling numbers, the NHTSA and the Federal Highway Administration started “Everyone is a Pedestrian” to curb accidents. The initiative offers resources, including these safety tips for Alton, IL pedestrian and drivers:
8 Safety Tips for Alton, IL Drivers
- Look out for Alton, IL pedestrians everywhere, at all times.
- Use extra caution when driving in hard-to-see conditions, such as nighttime or bad weather in Alton, IL.
- Slow down and be prepared to stop when turning or otherwise entering a Alton, IL crosswalk.
- Yield to pedestrians in crosswalks and stop well back from the crosswalk to give other Alton, IL vehicles an opportunity to see the crossing pedestrians so they can stop, too.
- Never pass vehicles stopped at a Alton, IL crosswalk. There may be individuals crossing where you can’t see.
- Never drive under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs in Alton, IL.
- Follow the speed limit, particularly around people on the street, in school zones, and in Alton, IL neighborhoods where children are present.
- Be extremely cautious when backing up and be on the look out for Alton, IL pedestrians.
8 Safety Tips for Alton, IL Pedestrians
- Follow the rules of the road and obey all signs and signals in Alton, IL.
- Walk on Alton, IL sidewalks whenever they are available.
- If there is no sidewalk, walk facing traffic and as far from traffic as possible.
- Cross streets at crosswalks or intersections in Alton, IL. Look for cars in all directions, including those turning left or right.
- If there is no crosswalk or intersection, find an illuminated area where you have the best view of Alton, IL traffic. Wait for a lapse in traffic that allows sufficient time to cross safely; keep watching for traffic as you cross.
- Watch for Alton, IL cars entering or exiting driveways, or reversing in parking lots.
- Stay away from alcohol and drugs when walking in Alton, IL; they impair your abilities and your judgment.
- Embrace walking as a healthy form of transportation in Alton, IL — get up, get out, and get moving.
Call our Alton, IL pedestrian accident lawyer now at 636-333-1717 or contact us for a complimentary, confidential consultation.
What Are the Common Causes of Alton, IL Pedestrian Accidents?
There is no minimizing it, Alton, IL pedestrian accidents are scary. In addition to the GHSA and NHTSA reports of increased pedestrian accidents year-to-year, our Alton, IL pedestrian accident attorneys have seen the injuries becoming more and more severe. The Missouri Injury legal team can help you or your loved one in Alton, IL receive the compensation you are due under the law. Common causes of Alton, IL pedestrian accidents include:
Speeding is dangerous. However, it is one of the most common reckless behaviors drivers participate in on the road in and around Alton, IL. On average, speeding contributes to approximately 30 percent of U.S. traffic fatalities annually. A collision with a pedestrian can be catastrophic under normal speeds. When a Alton, IL vehicle is speeding, the results can be deadly. Not only does speeding increase the risk of injury or death in Alton, IL, it increases the chance of an accident occurring at all. A speeding vehicle needs more time to stop. The Alton, IL driver also has less time to act. By the time a Alton, IL pedestrian realizes a speeding driver is approaching, they may have little time to react.
We all have heard the warnings about texting and driving in and around Alton, IL. Sending or receiving a text takes a Alton, IL driver’s attention off the road for around 5 seconds. In that amount of time, which, at 55 mph, equates to driving the length of a football field with your eyes closed, a pedestrian could be crossing the street; a light could turn red… so many things could happen. In addition to texting, other causes of Alton, IL distracted driving include:
- Adjusting the radio
- Talking to passengers
- Talking on the phone (even with a hands-free device)
- Navigation systems
Driving Under the Influence
Driving under the influence is reckless. Approximately 32 people die each day in the U.S. because of a drunk driver, according to the NHTSA. Worse still, these deaths were all preventable. Driving under the influence in Alton, IL impairs a person’s decision-making skills and can affect motor reflexes. Other dangers in Alton, IL include:
- Difficulty concentrating
- Blurry vision
- Delayed reaction time
- Reduced ability to track moving objects
- Decreased alertness
- Inability to multitask
Failure to Yield the Right of Way
Alton, IL pedestrians depend on Alton, IL drivers to follow right of way laws. When a driver fails to yield the right of way, a Alton, IL pedestrian has little time to react. Failure to yield the right of way commonly causes accidents at intersections, when a driver runs through a traffic device or when they fail to look for pedestrians before making a turn.
Bad weather, darkness, sunlight, or structural obstructions in Alton, IL can create poor visibility for drivers. During these kinds of conditions, drivers need to use extreme caution. Things a Alton, IL driver can do to limit the risk of an accident include:
- Reduce driving speed
- Limit distractions
- Make sure safety devices, including headlights, are in working order
- Pay extra attention to hazards and pedestrians
- Allow extra following distance
- Brake at intersections
Call our Alton, IL pedestrian accident lawyer today at 636-333-1717 or contact us for a no-cost, no-risk case review.
What is My Alton, IL Pedestrian Accident Worth?
While the only way to correctly assess the kinds of damages in any injury claim is through a diligent investigation of the case, our Alton, IL pedestrian accident lawyer can help you understand what your case may be worth by assessing:
- The particular circumstances of your Alton, IL pedestrian accident
- Who was at fault and if you shared any blame
- The kind of injuries sustained and their severity
- Whether you suffered permanent impairment, disability, or disfigurement
- How your injuries affect your quality of life moving forward
- The strength of your negligence case
- The amount of insurance coverage available
What Are Common Alton, IL Pedestrian Accident Injuries?
A Alton, IL pedestrian is no match for any kind of motor vehicle, no matter the size or scenario. If you have been struck by a car or a truck, or even a golf cart, your well-being is the number one priority. At Missouri Injury Law, our team of Alton, IL pedestrian accident attorneys can help introduce you to the care you need and fight for the compensation you and your family deserve. Several of these injuries may or may not be apparent at the time of the Alton, IL accident. If you show any symptoms of a significant condition, seek medical attention as soon as possible. And then phone a pedestrian accident lawyer at Missouri Injury Law immediately at 636-333-1717 or contact us. Common injuries after a Alton, IL pedestrian accident are:
- Brain Injuries
- Difficulty concentrating
- Mood changes
- Changes in sleep patterns
- Spinal Cord Injuries
- Extreme neck or back pain
- Numbness or tingling
- Difficulty walking
- Difficulty breathing
- Loss of bowel or bladder control
- Extreme neck or back distortion
- Broken Bones
- Cuts, Bruises, and Skin Abrasions
- Mental Health Injuries
Motor vehicle accidents are one of the leading causes of traumatic brain injuries. If you have been in a Alton, IL pedestrian accident where you hit your head, you need to watch for any of the following symptoms of TBI, as they can quickly ramp up in Alton, IL, and turn life-threatening:
Motor vehicle accidents are the number one cause of spinal cord injuries in the U.S. The severity of a collision from a Alton, IL pedestrian accident can cause serious swelling that can ultimately result in permanent paralysis. Symptoms of a spinal cord injury in Alton, IL include:
The human body is not designed to sustain the force of a 2,000-plus-pound vehicle. For this reason alone, broken bones are commonplace in Alton, IL pedestrian accidents.
Cuts and bruises might seem like minor injuries after a Alton, IL pedestrian accident, but they can lead to major complications, including infections.
There is no way to truly know how someone feels after a traumatic Alton, IL pedestrian accident. We all experience feelings and emotions differently. Following a Alton, IL pedestrian accident, it is routine to feel rage, sadness, and confusion. If you are having a hard time after a pedestrian accident in Alton, IL, don’t hesitate reaching out for help. Our pedestrian accident lawyer can put you in contact with the right people. Give us a call today at 636-333-1717 or contact us in confidence.
How Do I Prove Who Is Liable for My Injuries In a Alton, IL Pedestrian Accident?
To prove that a driver was at fault for causing your Alton, IL pedestrian accident injuries, your pedestrian accident lawyer near Alton, IL, must prove the following:
- The at-fault driver owed you a duty of care to drive their vehicle safely and legally.
- The driver breached their duty of care when they took an action that violated the duty of care.
- This breach of duty resulted in a pedestrian accident that injured you, and your injury caused economic and noneconomic damages.
Your Alton, IL Pedestrian Accident Lawyer | Missouri Injury Law Firm
The pedestrian accident lawyers at Missouri Injury Law have dedicated their livelihoods to fighting for Alton, IL residents who have been injured as a result of a driver’s recklessness. We are passionate about guaranteeing that you and your family have little to worry about while we fight for complete compensation for your Alton, IL injuries and damages. See what our Alton, IL clients have to say about our legal representation.
Phone one of our Alton, IL pedestrian accident lawyers at Missouri Injury Law today at 636-333-1717 or contact us online for a no-cost and no-risk case review near Alton, IL.