Pedestrian Accident Lawyer Ballwin, MO
Serving All Missouri Personal Injury VictimsView Full Service Area
Pedestrian Accident Lawyer Ballwin, MO. As a pedestrian, you should not have to fear for your safety simply strolling down the sidewalk or roadside. In Ballwin, MO, there are laws in place to protect you, designed to allow pedestrians and motor vehicles to share the same space. Somehow though, day after day, Ballwin, MO accidents between motorists and pedestrians continue to occur.
If you or someone you love has been involved in a Ballwin, MO pedestrian accident, call the Missouri Injury Law Firm immediately at 636-333-1717 or contact us for a no-cost, no-risk consultation. Our Ballwin, MO pedestrian accident lawyer will meet with you as soon as possible near Ballwin, MO to discuss your case and protect your interests. If you have sustained injuries and have lost work and wages because of the Ballwin, MO accident, you deserve an expert pedestrian accident lawyer from Missouri Injury Law fighting in your corner.
What Are My Rights Following a Ballwin, MO Pedestrian Accident?
If you have been injured in a Ballwin, MO pedestrian accident, you may be able to recover damages under state law. In Missouri, accident victims have five years from the date of the accident to file a personal injury suit against the at-fault party. In Illinois, you have two years to file a claim. Following your accident, be sure to call our Ballwin, MO professional pedestrian accident attorney at 636-333-1717 or contact us to assist in understanding your rights and helping you fight for the compensation you are entitled to.
Damages may include, but are not limited to:
- Medical costs — Serious Ballwin, MO injuries can incur thousands of dollars in medical costs. Covered costs differ from case to case but often include:
- Doctor visits
- Medical devices
- Follow-up care
- Pain and suffering — Ballwin, MO pedestrian accidents can create dire physical and emotional pain. When an injury or accident near Ballwin, MO, brings about physical and emotional stress, the law allows you to claim these as damages. A few examples include:
- Loss of enjoyment
- Lost wages — If you sustain a serious injury in Ballwin, MO, you may not be able to return to work right away. In the event you can’t get back to work, your Ballwin, MO pedestrian accident lawyer may ask for future wages.
- Wrongful death — Sadly and unfortunately, some Ballwin, MO pedestrian accidents may be too severe for your loved one. In such a case, you or a family member near Ballwin, MO, may have a wrongful death case. This type of claim may include:
- Pain and suffering
- Medical costs
- Lost wages
- Loss of guidance
- Loss of consortium
- Outstanding medical costs
How Common Are Ballwin, MO Pedestrian Accidents?
According to a recent report from the Governors Highway Safety Association, there were an estimated 7,485 pedestrian deaths in 2021, an increase of 11.5 percent from the previous year. This is the largest number of pedestrian fatalities in four decades. From 2010-2020, pedestrian deaths increased by 54 percent while other traffic deaths combined for an increase of 13 percent.
Along with the GHSA data, the report also analyzed the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's (NHTSA) Fatality Analysis Reporting System to further review safety trends. The research showed a staggering statistic: The percentage of speeding-related pedestrian deaths among children younger than 15 in has more than doubled since 2018, from 5.8% to 11.9%.
There were 1,341 reported pedestrian accidents in 2021 in Missouri alone, with 1,118 injuries and 132 deaths, via the Missouri State Highway Patrol.
Due to these staggering and unsettling statistics, the NHTSA and the Federal Highway Administration started “Everyone is a Pedestrian” to curb accidents. The organization offers resources, including the following safety tips for Ballwin, MO pedestrian and drivers:
8 Safety Tips for Ballwin, MO Drivers
- Look out for Ballwin, MO pedestrians everywhere, at all times.
- Use extreme caution when driving in hard-to-see conditions, like nighttime or bad weather in Ballwin, MO.
- Slow down and be ready to stop when turning or otherwise entering a Ballwin, MO crosswalk.
- Yield to pedestrians in crosswalks and stop well back from the crosswalk to give other Ballwin, MO vehicles an opportunity to see the crossing pedestrians so they can stop, too.
- Never pass vehicles stopped at a Ballwin, MO crosswalk. There might be people crossing where you can’t see.
- Never drive under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs in Ballwin, MO.
- Follow the speed limit, especially around people on the street, in school zones, and in Ballwin, MO neighborhoods where children are present.
- Be extra cautious when backing up and be on the look out for Ballwin, MO pedestrians.
8 Safety Tips for Ballwin, MO Pedestrians
- Follow the rules of the road and obey all of the signs and signals in Ballwin, MO.
- Walk on Ballwin, MO sidewalks whenever they are available.
- If there is no sidewalk, walk facing traffic and as far from traffic as possible.
- Cross streets at crosswalks or intersections in Ballwin, MO. Look for cars in all directions, including those turning left or right.
- If there is no crosswalk or intersection, locate an illuminated area where you have the best view of Ballwin, MO traffic. Wait for a lapse in traffic allowing enough time to cross safely; continue watching for traffic as you cross.
- Watch for Ballwin, MO vehicles entering or exiting driveways, or reversing in parking lots.
- Avoid alcohol and drugs when walking in Ballwin, MO; they impair your abilities and your judgment.
- Welcome walking as a healthy form of transportation in Ballwin, MO — get up, get out, and get moving.
Call our Ballwin, MO pedestrian accident lawyer today at 636-333-1717 or reach out to us for a no-cost, no-risk consultation.
What Are the Common Causes of Ballwin, MO Pedestrian Accidents?
There is no minimizing it, Ballwin, MO pedestrian accidents are scary. In addition to the GHSA and NHTSA reports of increasing pedestrian accidents year-to-year, our Ballwin, MO pedestrian accident lawyers have noticed a rise in the severity of the injuries. The Missouri Injury legal team can help you or your loved one in Ballwin, MO receive the compensation you are entitled to under the law. Common causes of Ballwin, MO pedestrian accidents are:
Speeding is dangerous. But, it is one of the most common reckless behaviors drivers participate in on the road in and around Ballwin, MO. On average, speeding contributes to almost 30 percent of annual U.S. traffic fatalities. A collision with a pedestrian can be catastrophic under normal speeds. When a Ballwin, MO motor vehicle is speeding, the results can be deadly. Not only does speeding increase the risk of injury or death in Ballwin, MO, it increases the chance of an accident occurring at all. A speeding vehicle needs more time to stop. The Ballwin, MO driver also has less time to react. By the time a Ballwin, MO pedestrian recognizes a speeding driver is getting close, they essentially have little time to react.
We all have seen the warnings about texting and driving in and around Ballwin, MO. Sending or receiving a text takes a Ballwin, MO driver’s attention off the road for at least 5 seconds. In that amount of time, which, at 55 mph, equates to driving the length of a football field with your eyes closed, a pedestrian could be crossing the street; a light could turn red… so many things could happen. In addition to texting, other causes of Ballwin, MO distracted driving are:
- Adjusting the radio
- Talking to passengers
- Talking on the phone (even with a hands-free device)
- Navigation systems
Driving Under the Influence
Driving under the influence is careless. Approximately 32 people die each day in the U.S. because of a drunk driver, according to the NHTSA. Worse still, these deaths were all preventable. Driving under the influence in Ballwin, MO impedes an individual’s decision-making skills and can affect motor reflexes. Other dangers in Ballwin, MO are:
- Difficulty concentrating
- Blurry vision
- Delayed reaction time
- Reduced ability to track moving objects
- Decreased alertness
- Inability to multitask
Failure to Yield the Right of Way
Ballwin, MO pedestrians depend on Ballwin, MO drivers to obey right of way laws. When a driver fails to yield the right of way, a Ballwin, MO pedestrian has little time to act. Failure to yield the right of way commonly causes accidents at intersections, when a driver runs through a traffic device or when they fail to look for pedestrians before making a turn.
Bad weather, darkness, sunlight, or structural obstructions in Ballwin, MO can cause poor visibility for drivers. During these kinds of scenarios, drivers need to exercise extra caution. Things a Ballwin, MO driver can do to limit the risk of an accident include:
- Reduce driving speed
- Limit distractions
- Ensure safety devices, including headlights, are in working order
- Pay extra attention to hazards and pedestrians
- Allow extra following distance
- Brake at intersections
Call our Ballwin, MO pedestrian accident lawyer today at 636-333-1717 or contact us for a complimentary, confidential case review.
What is My Ballwin, MO Pedestrian Accident Worth?
While the only way to correctly evaluate the types of damages in any injury claim is through an intricate investigation of the case, our Ballwin, MO pedestrian accident lawyer can help you understand what your case might be worth by gauging:
- The specific circumstances of your Ballwin, MO pedestrian accident
- Who was at fault and if you shared any blame
- The kind of injuries sustained and their severity
- Whether you suffered permanent impairment, disability, or disfigurement
- How your injuries affect your quality of life moving forward
- The strength of your negligence case
- The amount of insurance coverage available
What Are Common Ballwin, MO Pedestrian Accident Injuries?
A Ballwin, MO pedestrian is no match for any type of motor vehicle, no matter the size or situation. If you have been hit by a car or a truck, or even a golf cart, your safety is the number one concern. At Missouri Injury Law, our team of Ballwin, MO pedestrian accident attorneys can help introduce you to the care you need and fight for the compensation you and your family are entitled to. Several of these injuries may or may not be obvious at the time of the Ballwin, MO accident. If you notice any symptoms of a significant condition, seek medical attention as soon as possible. And then call a pedestrian accident lawyer at Missouri Injury Law as soon as possible at 636-333-1717 or contact us. Common injuries after a Ballwin, MO pedestrian accident include:
- Brain Injuries
- Difficulty concentrating
- Mood changes
- Changes in sleep patterns
- Spinal Cord Injuries
- Extreme neck or back pain
- Numbness or tingling
- Difficulty walking
- Difficulty breathing
- Loss of bowel or bladder control
- Extreme neck or back distortion
- Broken Bones
- Cuts, Bruises, and Skin Abrasions
- Mental Health Injuries
Motor vehicle accidents are one of the leading causes of traumatic brain injuries. If you have been in a Ballwin, MO pedestrian accident where you hit your head, you need to watch for any of the following symptoms of TBI, as they can quickly ramp up in Ballwin, MO, and turn life-threatening:
Motor vehicle accidents are the number one cause of spinal cord injuries in the U.S. The severity of a collision from a Ballwin, MO pedestrian accident can cause serious swelling that could ultimately result in permanent paralysis. Symptoms of a spinal cord injury in Ballwin, MO are:
The human body is not made to withstand the force of a 2,000-plus-pound vehicle. For this reason alone, broken bones are commonplace in Ballwin, MO pedestrian accidents.
Cuts and bruises might seem relatively minor after a Ballwin, MO pedestrian accident, but they can lead to serious complications, including infections.
There is no way to truly know how someone feels after a traumatic Ballwin, MO pedestrian accident. We all experience feelings and emotions differently. Following a Ballwin, MO pedestrian accident, it is normal to feel intense anger, sadness, and confusion. If you are having difficulty after a pedestrian accident in Ballwin, MO, do not hesitate to reach out for help. Our pedestrian accident lawyer can put you in contact with the right professionals. Give us a call today at 636-333-1717 or contact us in confidence.
How Do I Prove Who Is Liable for My Injuries In a Ballwin, MO Pedestrian Accident?
To prove that a driver was at fault for causing your Ballwin, MO pedestrian accident injuries, your pedestrian accident lawyer near Ballwin, MO, must show the following:
- The at-fault driver owed you a duty of care to drive their vehicle safely and legally.
- The driver breached their duty of care when they took an action that violated the duty of care.
- This breach of duty resulted in a pedestrian accident that injured you, and your injury caused economic and noneconomic damages.
Your Ballwin, MO Pedestrian Accident Lawyer | Missouri Injury Law Firm
The pedestrian accident lawyers at Missouri Injury Law have dedicated their livelihoods to fighting for Ballwin, MO residents who have been injured as a result of a driver’s carelessness. We care about guaranteeing that you and your family are stress free while we fight for complete compensation for your Ballwin, MO injuries and damages. Read what our Ballwin, MO clients have to say about our legal representation.
Call one of our Ballwin, MO pedestrian accident lawyers at Missouri Injury Law today at 636-333-1717 or reach out to us online for a no-cost and confidential case review near Ballwin, MO.