Pedestrian Accident Lawyer Belleville, IL
Serving All Missouri Personal Injury VictimsView Full Service Area
Pedestrian Accident Lawyer Belleville, IL. As a pedestrian, you should not have to fear for your safety doing something as simple as walking on the sidewalk or roadside. In Belleville, IL, there are laws in place to protect you, designed to allow pedestrians and motor vehicles to share the same space. Somehow though, day after day, Belleville, IL accidents between motorists and pedestrians still occur.
If you or a loved one has been involved in a Belleville, IL pedestrian accident, call the Missouri Injury Law Firm immediately at 636-333-1717 or contact us for a complimentary, confidential consultation. Our Belleville, IL pedestrian accident lawyer will meet with you as soon as possible near Belleville, IL to discuss your case and protect your interests. If you have suffered injuries and have lost work and wages because of the Belleville, IL accident, you deserve an expert pedestrian accident lawyer from Missouri Injury Law fighting in your corner.
What Are My Rights After a Belleville, IL Pedestrian Accident?
If you have been injured in a Belleville, IL pedestrian accident, you may be able to recover damages under state law. In Missouri, accident victims have five years from the date of the accident to file a personal injury claim against the at-fault party. In Illinois, you have two years to file a claim. Following your accident, don’t wait to call our Belleville, IL skilled pedestrian accident attorney at 636-333-1717 or reach out to us to assist in understanding your rights and helping you fight for the compensation you deserve.
Damages may include, but are not limited to:
- Medical costs — Serious Belleville, IL injuries can incur thousands of dollars in medical costs. Covered costs vary from case to case but often include:
- Doctor visits
- Medical devices
- Follow-up care
- Pain and suffering — Belleville, IL pedestrian accidents can cause severe physical and emotional pain. When an injury or accident near Belleville, IL, brings about physical and emotional stress, the law permits you to claim these as damages. Some examples are:
- Loss of enjoyment
- Lost wages — If you sustain a serious injury in Belleville, IL, you might not be able to return to your job as soon as you might like. In the event you can’t return to work, your Belleville, IL pedestrian accident lawyer may request future wages.
- Wrongful death — Sadly and unfortunately, some Belleville, IL pedestrian accidents may be too severe for your loved one. In such a case, you or a family member near Belleville, IL, may have a wrongful death case. This kind of claim may include:
- Pain and suffering
- Medical costs
- Lost wages
- Loss of guidance
- Loss of consortium
- Outstanding medical costs
How Common Are Belleville, IL Pedestrian Accidents?
According to a recent report from the Governors Highway Safety Association, there were an estimated 7,485 pedestrian deaths in 2021, an increase of 11.5 percent from the previous year. This is the largest number of pedestrian fatalities in four decades. From 2010-2020, pedestrian deaths increased by 54 percent while other traffic deaths combined for an increase of 13 percent.
Along with the GHSA data, the report also studied the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's (NHTSA) Fatality Analysis Reporting System to further explore safety trends. The analysis revealed a troubling statistic: The percentage of speeding-related pedestrian deaths among children younger than 15 in has more than doubled since 2018, from 5.8% to 11.9%.
There were 1,341 reported pedestrian accidents in 2021 in Missouri alone, with 1,118 injuries and 132 deaths, via the Missouri State Highway Patrol.
Because of these staggering and unsettling numbers, the NHTSA and the Federal Highway Administration started “Everyone is a Pedestrian” to curb accidents. The organization offers resources, including these safety tips for Belleville, IL pedestrian and drivers:
8 Safety Tips for Belleville, IL Drivers
- Look out for Belleville, IL pedestrians everywhere, at all times.
- Use extreme caution when driving in hard-to-see conditions, like nighttime or bad weather in Belleville, IL.
- Slow down and be prepared to stop when turning or otherwise entering a Belleville, IL crosswalk.
- Yield to pedestrians in crosswalks and stop well back from the crosswalk to give other Belleville, IL vehicles an opportunity to see the crossing pedestrians so they can stop, too.
- Never pass vehicles stopped at a Belleville, IL crosswalk. There could be people crossing where you can’t see.
- Never drive under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs in Belleville, IL.
- Follow the speed limit, particularly around people on the street, in school zones, and in Belleville, IL neighborhoods where children are present.
- Be extra cautious when backing up and be on the look out for Belleville, IL pedestrians.
8 Safety Tips for Belleville, IL Pedestrians
- Follow the rules of the road and obey all of the signs and signals in Belleville, IL.
- Walk on Belleville, IL sidewalks whenever they are available.
- If there is no sidewalk, walk facing traffic and as far from traffic as possible.
- Cross streets at crosswalks or intersections in Belleville, IL. Look for cars in all directions, including those turning left or right.
- If there is no crosswalk or intersection, find an illuminated area where you have the optimal view of Belleville, IL traffic. Wait for a gap in traffic allowing enough time to cross safely; continue looking for traffic as you cross.
- Watch for Belleville, IL cars entering or exiting driveways, or backing up in parking lots.
- Avoid alcohol and drugs when walking in Belleville, IL; they impair your abilities and your judgment.
- Embrace walking as a healthy form of transportation in Belleville, IL — get up, get out, and get moving.
What Are the Common Causes of Belleville, IL Pedestrian Accidents?
There is no minimizing it, Belleville, IL pedestrian accidents are scary. In addition to the GHSA and NHTSA reports of increased annual pedestrian accidents, our Belleville, IL pedestrian accident lawyers have seen the injuries becoming more and more severe. The Missouri Injury legal team can help you or your loved one in Belleville, IL receive the compensation you are due under the law. Common causes of Belleville, IL pedestrian accidents are:
Speeding is dangerous. Yet, it is one of the most common reckless behaviors drivers participate in on the road in and around Belleville, IL. On average, speeding contributes to approximately 30 percent of U.S. traffic fatalities annually. Under normal speeds, a collision with a pedestrian can be catastrophic. When a Belleville, IL vehicle is speeding, the results can be deadly. Not only does speeding increase the risk of injury or death in Belleville, IL, it increases the chance of an accident occurring at all. A speeding vehicle takes longer to stop. The Belleville, IL driver also has less time to react. By the time a Belleville, IL pedestrian realizes a speeding driver is approaching, they essentially have little time to react.
We all have seen the warnings about texting and driving in and around Belleville, IL. Sending or receiving a text takes a Belleville, IL driver’s attention off the road for approximately 5 seconds. In that amount of time, which, at 55 mph, equates to driving the length of a football field with your eyes closed, a pedestrian could be crossing the street; a light could turn red… so many things could happen. Along with texting, other causes of Belleville, IL distracted driving include:
- Adjusting the radio
- Talking to passengers
- Talking on the phone (even with a hands-free device)
- Navigation systems
Driving Under the Influence
Driving under the influence is reckless. Approximately 32 people die each day in the U.S. because of a drunk driver, according to the NHTSA. Worst of all, these deaths were all preventable. Driving under the influence in Belleville, IL impedes an individual’s decision-making skills and can affect motor reflexes. Other dangers in Belleville, IL include:
- Difficulty concentrating
- Blurry vision
- Delayed reaction time
- Reduced ability to track moving objects
- Decreased alertness
- Inability to multitask
Failure to Yield the Right of Way
Belleville, IL pedestrians depend on Belleville, IL drivers to follow right of way laws. When a driver fails to yield the right of way, a Belleville, IL pedestrian has little time to react. Accidents at intersections, when a driver runs through a traffic device or when they fail to look for pedestrians before making a turn, are commonplace failures to yield the right of way.
Bad weather, darkness, sunlight, or structural obstructions in Belleville, IL can create poor visibility for drivers. During these kinds of conditions, drivers need to exercise extra caution. Things a Belleville, IL driver can do to limit the risk of an accident include:
- Reduce driving speed
- Limit distractions
- Ensure safety devices, including headlights, are in working order
- Pay extra attention to hazards and pedestrians
- Allow extra following distance
- Slow at intersections
What is My Belleville, IL Pedestrian Accident Worth?
While the only way to correctly assess the types of damages in any injury claim is through a careful investigation of the case, our Belleville, IL pedestrian accident lawyer can assist you in understanding what your case might be worth by gauging:
- The specific circumstances of your Belleville, IL pedestrian accident
- Who was at fault and if you shared any blame
- The kind of injuries sustained and their severity
- Whether you suffered permanent impairment, disability, or disfigurement
- How your injuries affect your quality of life moving forward
- The strength of your negligence case
- The amount of insurance coverage available
What Are Common Belleville, IL Pedestrian Accident Injuries?
A Belleville, IL pedestrian is no match for any type of motor vehicle, no matter the size or situation. If you have been hit by a car or a truck, or even a golf cart, your well-being is the number one concern. At Missouri Injury Law, our team of Belleville, IL pedestrian accident attorneys can help introduce you to the care you need and fight for the compensation you and your loved ones deserve. Some of these injuries may or may not be obvious at the time of the Belleville, IL accident. If you experience any symptoms of a serious condition, seek medical attention right away. And then call a pedestrian accident lawyer at Missouri Injury Law immediately at 636-333-1717 or contact us. Common injuries after a Belleville, IL pedestrian accident are:
- Brain Injuries
- Difficulty concentrating
- Mood changes
- Changes in sleep patterns
- Spinal Cord Injuries
- Severe neck or back pain
- Numbness or tingling
- Difficulty walking
- Difficulty breathing
- Loss of bowel or bladder control
- Extreme neck or back distortion
- Broken Bones
- Cuts, Bruises, and Skin Abrasions
- Mental Health Injuries
Motor vehicle accidents are one of the leading causes of traumatic brain injuries. If you have been in a Belleville, IL pedestrian accident where you hit your head, you need to look out for any of the following symptoms of TBI, as they can quickly ramp up in Belleville, IL, and become life-threatening:
Motor vehicle accidents are the number one cause of spinal cord injuries in the U.S. The severity of a collision from a Belleville, IL pedestrian accident can cause severe swelling that could ultimately result in permanent paralysis. Symptoms of a spinal cord injury in Belleville, IL include:
The human body is not designed to withstand the force of a 2,000-plus-pound vehicle. For this reason alone, broken bones are commonplace in Belleville, IL pedestrian accidents.
Cuts and bruises might seem like minor injuries after a Belleville, IL pedestrian accident, but they can lead to severe complications, including infections.
There is no way to truly realize how someone feels in the aftermath of a traumatic Belleville, IL pedestrian accident. We all experience feelings and emotions differently. After a Belleville, IL pedestrian accident, it is normal to feel intense anger, sadness, and confusion. If you are having a hard time after a pedestrian accident in Belleville, IL, don’t hesitate reaching out for help. Our pedestrian accident lawyer can put you in touch with the right people. Call us today at 636-333-1717 or contact us in confidence.
How Do I Prove Who Is Liable for My Injuries In a Belleville, IL Pedestrian Accident?
To prove that a driver was at fault for causing your Belleville, IL pedestrian accident injuries, your pedestrian accident lawyer near Belleville, IL, must show the following:
- The at-fault driver owed you a duty of care to drive their vehicle safely and legally.
- The driver breached their duty of care when they took an action that violated the duty of care.
- This breach of duty resulted in a pedestrian accident that injured you, and your injury caused economic and noneconomic damages.
Your Belleville, IL Pedestrian Accident Lawyer | Missouri Injury Law Firm
The pedestrian accident lawyers at Missouri Injury Law have devoted their careers to fighting for Belleville, IL residents who have been injured as a result of a driver’s carelessness. We are passionate about guaranteeing that you and your family have little to worry about while we fight for maximum compensation for your Belleville, IL injuries and damages. Read what our Belleville, IL clients feel about our legal representation.