Pedestrian Accident Lawyer Cape Girardeau, MO
Serving All Missouri Personal Injury VictimsView Full Service Area
Pedestrian Accident Lawyer Cape Girardeau, MO. As a pedestrian, you should not have to be concerned for your safety doing something as simple as walking on the sidewalk or roadside. In Cape Girardeau, MO, there are laws in place to protect you, designed to allow pedestrians and motor vehicles to share the same space. Somehow though, several times a day, Cape Girardeau, MO accidents between motorists and pedestrians continue to happen.
If you or someone you love has been injured in a Cape Girardeau, MO pedestrian accident, call the Missouri Injury Law Firm immediately at 636-333-1717 or reach out to us for a complimentary, confidential consultation. Our Cape Girardeau, MO pedestrian accident lawyer will meet with you as soon as possible near Cape Girardeau, MO to discuss your case and protect your interests. If you have suffered injuries and have lost work and wages because of the Cape Girardeau, MO accident, you need an expert pedestrian accident lawyer from Missouri Injury Law fighting in your corner.
What Are My Rights After a Cape Girardeau, MO Pedestrian Accident?
If you have been injured in a Cape Girardeau, MO pedestrian accident, you may have a right to recover damages under state law. In Missouri, accident victims have five years from the date of the incident to file a personal injury claim against the at-fault party. In Illinois, you have two years to file a claim. After your accident, don’t wait to call our Cape Girardeau, MO skilled pedestrian accident lawyer at 636-333-1717 or reach out to us to assist in understanding your rights and helping you fight for the compensation you are entitled to.
Damages may include, but are not limited to:
- Medical costs — Severe Cape Girardeau, MO injuries can incur thousands of dollars in medical costs. Covered costs differ from case to case but frequently include:
- Doctor visits
- Medical devices
- Follow-up care
- Pain and suffering — Cape Girardeau, MO pedestrian accidents can cause severe physical and emotional pain. When an injury or accident near Cape Girardeau, MO, generates physical and emotional stress, the law permits you to claim these as damages. Some examples include:
- Loss of enjoyment
- Lost wages — If you sustain a serious injury in Cape Girardeau, MO, you might not be able to return to work right away. In the event you can’t get back to work, your Cape Girardeau, MO pedestrian accident lawyer may ask for future wages.
- Wrongful death — Sadly and unfortunately, some Cape Girardeau, MO pedestrian accidents may be too severe for your loved one. In such a case, you or a family member near Cape Girardeau, MO, may have a wrongful death case. This type of claim may include:
- Pain and suffering
- Medical costs
- Lost wages
- Loss of guidance
- Loss of consortium
- Outstanding medical costs
How Common Are Cape Girardeau, MO Pedestrian Accidents?
According to a recent report from the Governors Highway Safety Association, there were an estimated 7,485 pedestrian deaths in 2021, an increase of 11.5 percent from the previous year. This is the largest number of pedestrian fatalities in four decades. From 2010-2020, pedestrian deaths increased by 54 percent while other traffic deaths combined for an increase of 13 percent.
Alongside the GHSA data, the report also analyzed the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's (NHTSA) Fatality Analysis Reporting System to further explore safety trends. The analysis revealed a staggering statistic: The percentage of speeding-related pedestrian deaths among children younger than 15 in has more than doubled since 2018, from 5.8% to 11.9%.
There were 1,341 reported pedestrian accidents in 2021 in Missouri alone, injuring 1,118 and 132 deaths, according to the Missouri State Highway Patrol.
Because of these staggering and unsettling numbers, the NHTSA and the Federal Highway Administration started “Everyone is a Pedestrian” to curb accidents. The initiative provides resources, including these safety tips for Cape Girardeau, MO pedestrian and drivers:
8 Safety Tips for Cape Girardeau, MO Drivers
- Look out for Cape Girardeau, MO pedestrians everywhere, at all times.
- Use extreme caution when driving in hard-to-see situations, such as nighttime or bad weather in Cape Girardeau, MO.
- Slow down and be prepared to stop when turning or otherwise entering a Cape Girardeau, MO crosswalk.
- Yield to pedestrians in crosswalks and stop well back from the crosswalk to give other Cape Girardeau, MO vehicles an opportunity to see the crossing pedestrians so they can stop, too.
- Never pass vehicles stopped at a Cape Girardeau, MO crosswalk. There might be people crossing where you can’t see.
- Never drive under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs in Cape Girardeau, MO.
- Follow the speed limit, particularly around people on the street, in school zones, and in Cape Girardeau, MO neighborhoods where children are present.
- Be extra cautious when backing up and be on the look out for Cape Girardeau, MO pedestrians.
8 Safety Tips for Cape Girardeau, MO Pedestrians
- Follow the rules of the road and obey all signs and signals in Cape Girardeau, MO.
- Walk on Cape Girardeau, MO sidewalks whenever they are available.
- If there is no sidewalk, walk facing traffic and as far from traffic as possible.
- Cross streets at crosswalks or intersections in Cape Girardeau, MO. Look for cars in all directions, including those turning left or right.
- If a crosswalk or intersection is not available, locate an illuminated area where you have the best view of Cape Girardeau, MO traffic. Wait for a gap in traffic that allows enough time to cross safely; keep watching for traffic as you cross.
- Watch for Cape Girardeau, MO cars entering or exiting driveways, or reversing in parking lots.
- Avoid alcohol and drugs when walking in Cape Girardeau, MO; they impair your abilities and your judgment.
- Welcome walking as a healthy form of transportation in Cape Girardeau, MO — get up, get out, and get moving.
Call our Cape Girardeau, MO pedestrian accident lawyer today at 636-333-1717 or reach out to us for a complimentary, confidential consultation.
What Are the Common Causes of Cape Girardeau, MO Pedestrian Accidents?
There is no sugarcoating it, Cape Girardeau, MO pedestrian accidents are frightening. In addition to the GHSA and NHTSA reports of increased annual pedestrian accidents, our Cape Girardeau, MO pedestrian accident attorneys have seen the injuries becoming more and more severe. The Missouri Injury legal team can help you or your loved one in Cape Girardeau, MO receive the compensation you are due under the law. Common causes of Cape Girardeau, MO pedestrian accidents are:
Speeding is dangerous. But, it is one of the most common reckless behaviors drivers participate in on the road in and around Cape Girardeau, MO. On average, speeding contributes to approximately 30 percent of annual U.S. traffic fatalities. Under normal speeds, a collision with a pedestrian can be catastrophic. When a Cape Girardeau, MO driver is speeding, the results can be deadly. Not only does speeding increase the risk of injury or death in Cape Girardeau, MO, it increases the chance of an accident happening at all. A speeding vehicle takes longer to stop. The Cape Girardeau, MO driver also has less time to act. By the time a Cape Girardeau, MO pedestrian notices a speeding driver is getting close, they essentially have little time to react.
We all have heard the warnings about texting and driving in and around Cape Girardeau, MO. Sending or receiving a text takes a Cape Girardeau, MO driver’s attention off the road for at least 5 seconds. In that amount of time, which, at 55 mph, equates to driving the length of a football field with your eyes closed, a pedestrian could be crossing the street; a light could turn red… so many things could happen. Along with texting, other causes of Cape Girardeau, MO distracted driving include:
- Adjusting the radio
- Talking to passengers
- Talking on the phone (even with a hands-free device)
- Navigation systems
Driving Under the Influence
Driving under the influence is careless. Approximately 32 people die every day in the U.S. because of a drunk driver, according to the NHTSA. Worse still, these deaths were all preventable. Driving under the influence in Cape Girardeau, MO impedes a person’s decision-making skills and can affect motor reflexes. Other dangers in Cape Girardeau, MO include:
- Difficulty concentrating
- Blurry vision
- Delayed reaction time
- Reduced ability to track moving objects
- Decreased alertness
- Inability to multitask
Failure to Yield the Right of Way
Cape Girardeau, MO pedestrians depend on Cape Girardeau, MO drivers to obey right of way laws. When a driver fails to yield the right of way, a Cape Girardeau, MO pedestrian has little time to react. Failure to yield the right of way commonly causes accidents at intersections, when a driver runs through a traffic device or when they fail to look for pedestrians before making a turn.
Bad weather, darkness, sunlight, or structural obstructions in Cape Girardeau, MO can create poor visibility for drivers. During these types of situations, drivers need to use extra caution. Things a Cape Girardeau, MO driver can do to lessen the risk of an accident include:
- Reduce driving speed
- Limit distractions
- Make sure safety devices, including headlights, are in working order
- Pay extra attention to hazards and pedestrians
- Allow extra following distance
- Slow at intersections
Call our Cape Girardeau, MO pedestrian accident lawyer today at 636-333-1717 or contact us for a no-cost, no-risk case review.
What is My Cape Girardeau, MO Pedestrian Accident Worth?
While the only way to correctly evaluate the kinds of damages in any injury claim is through a careful investigation of the case, our Cape Girardeau, MO pedestrian accident lawyer can assist you in understanding what your case might be worth by assessing:
- The particular circumstances of your Cape Girardeau, MO pedestrian accident
- Who was at fault and if you shared any blame
- The type of injuries sustained and their severity
- Whether you suffered permanent impairment, disability, or disfigurement
- How your injuries affect your quality of life moving forward
- The strength of your negligence case
- The amount of insurance coverage available
What Are Common Cape Girardeau, MO Pedestrian Accident Injuries?
A Cape Girardeau, MO pedestrian is no match for any sort of motor vehicle, no matter the size or situation. If you have been struck by a car or a truck, or even a golf cart, your safety is the main priority. At Missouri Injury Law, our staff of Cape Girardeau, MO pedestrian accident attorneys can help introduce you to the care you need and fight for the compensation you and your family are entitled to. Some of these injuries may or may not be apparent at the time of the Cape Girardeau, MO accident. If you experience any symptoms of a serious condition, seek medical attention right away. And then phone a pedestrian accident lawyer at Missouri Injury Law as soon as possible at 636-333-1717 or contact us. Common injuries after a Cape Girardeau, MO pedestrian accident include:
- Brain Injuries
- Difficulty concentrating
- Mood changes
- Changes in sleep patterns
- Spinal Cord Injuries
- Extreme neck or back pain
- Numbness or tingling
- Difficulty walking
- Difficulty breathing
- Loss of bowel or bladder control
- Extreme neck or back distortion
- Broken Bones
- Cuts, Bruises, and Skin Abrasions
- Mental Health Injuries
Motor vehicle accidents are one of the leading causes of traumatic brain injuries. If you have been in a Cape Girardeau, MO pedestrian accident where you hit your head, you need to look out for any of the following symptoms of TBI, as they can escalate quickly in Cape Girardeau, MO, and become life-threatening:
Motor vehicle accidents are the number one cause of spinal cord injuries in the U.S. The severity of the impact of a Cape Girardeau, MO pedestrian accident can cause severe swelling that can eventually result in permanent paralysis. Symptoms of a spinal cord injury in Cape Girardeau, MO include:
The human body is not designed to withstand the force of a 2,000-plus-pound vehicle. For this reason alone, broken bones are commonplace in Cape Girardeau, MO pedestrian accidents.
Cuts and bruises might seem like minor injuries after a Cape Girardeau, MO pedestrian accident, but they can lead to severe complications, including infections.
There is no way to completely understand how someone feels in the aftermath of a traumatic Cape Girardeau, MO pedestrian accident. We all work through feelings and emotions differently. After a Cape Girardeau, MO pedestrian accident, it is normal to feel intense anger, sadness, and confusion. If you are having difficulty after a pedestrian accident in Cape Girardeau, MO, do not hesitate reaching out for help. Our pedestrian accident lawyer can put you in touch with the right people. Give us a call today at 636-333-1717 or contact us in confidence.
How Do I Prove Who Is Liable for My Injuries In a Cape Girardeau, MO Pedestrian Accident?
To prove that a driver was at fault for causing your Cape Girardeau, MO pedestrian accident injuries, your pedestrian accident lawyer near Cape Girardeau, MO, must prove the following:
- The at-fault driver owed you a duty of care to drive their vehicle safely and legally.
- The driver breached their duty of care when they took an action that violated the duty of care.
- This breach of duty resulted in a pedestrian accident that injured you, and your injury caused economic and noneconomic damages.
Your Cape Girardeau, MO Pedestrian Accident Lawyer | Missouri Injury Law Firm
The pedestrian accident lawyers at Missouri Injury Law have dedicated their livelihoods to fighting for Cape Girardeau, MO residents who have been injured due to a driver’s recklessness. We care about guaranteeing that you and your family are stress free while we fight for maximum compensation for your Cape Girardeau, MO injuries and damages. Read what our Cape Girardeau, MO clients have to say about our legal representation.
Phone one of our Cape Girardeau, MO pedestrian accident attorneys at Missouri Injury Law now at 636-333-1717 or reach out to us online for a no-cost and no-risk case review near Cape Girardeau, MO.