Pedestrian Accident Lawyer Carbondale, IL
Serving All Missouri Personal Injury VictimsView Full Service Area
Pedestrian Accident Lawyer Carbondale, IL. As a pedestrian, you should not have to be concerned for your safety simply strolling down the sidewalk or roadside. In Carbondale, IL, there are laws in place to protect you, designed to allow pedestrians and motor vehicles to share the same space. Somehow though, day after day, Carbondale, IL accidents between motorists and pedestrians still happen.
If you or a loved one has been involved in a Carbondale, IL pedestrian accident, call the Missouri Injury Law Firm immediately at 636-333-1717 or reach out to us for a complimentary, confidential consultation. Our Carbondale, IL pedestrian accident lawyer will meet with you as soon as possible near Carbondale, IL to discuss your case and protect your interests. If you have sustained injuries and have lost work and wages due to the Carbondale, IL accident, you deserve an expert pedestrian accident lawyer from Missouri Injury Law standing by your side.
What Are My Rights Following a Carbondale, IL Pedestrian Accident?
If you’ve been injured in a Carbondale, IL pedestrian accident, you may have a right to recover damages under state law. In Missouri, accident victims have five years from the date of the accident to file a personal injury suit against the at-fault party. In Illinois, you have two years to file a claim. After your accident, be sure to call our Carbondale, IL skilled pedestrian accident attorney at 636-333-1717 or reach out to us to assist in understanding your rights and helping you fight for the compensation you are entitled to.
Damages may include, but are not limited to:
- Medical costs — Serious Carbondale, IL injuries can incur thousands of dollars in medical costs. Covered costs differ from case to case but frequently include:
- Doctor visits
- Medical devices
- Follow-up care
- Pain and suffering — Carbondale, IL pedestrian accidents can create serious physical and emotional pain. When an injury or accident near Carbondale, IL, generates physical and emotional stress, the law allows you to claim these as damages. A few examples include:
- Loss of enjoyment
- Lost wages — If you suffer a serious injury in Carbondale, IL, you might not be able to return to work right away. In the event you can’t get back to work, your Carbondale, IL pedestrian accident lawyer may ask for future wages.
- Wrongful death — Sadly and unfortunately, some Carbondale, IL pedestrian accidents may be too severe for the survival of a loved one. In this case, you or a family member near Carbondale, IL, may have a wrongful death case. This type of claim may include:
- Pain and suffering
- Medical costs
- Lost wages
- Loss of guidance
- Loss of consortium
- Outstanding medical costs
How Common Are Carbondale, IL Pedestrian Accidents?
According to a recent report from the Governors Highway Safety Association, there were an estimated 7,485 pedestrian deaths in 2021, an increase of 11.5 percent from the previous year. This is the largest number of pedestrian fatalities in four decades. From 2010-2020, pedestrian deaths increased by 54 percent while other traffic deaths combined for an increase of 13 percent.
Alongside the GHSA data, the report also analyzed the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's (NHTSA) Fatality Analysis Reporting System to further explore safety trends. The research showed a staggering statistic: The percentage of speeding-related pedestrian deaths among children younger than 15 in has more than doubled since 2018, from 5.8% to 11.9%.
There were 1,341 reported pedestrian accidents in 2021 in Missouri alone, with 1,118 injuries and killing 132 individuals, according to the Missouri State Highway Patrol.
Due to these staggering and unsettling numbers, the NHTSA and the Federal Highway Administration started “Everyone is a Pedestrian” to curb accidents. The initiative provides resources, including the following safety tips for Carbondale, IL pedestrian and drivers:
8 Safety Tips for Carbondale, IL Drivers
- Look out for Carbondale, IL pedestrians everywhere, at all times.
- Use extreme caution when driving in hard-to-see conditions, such as nighttime or bad weather in Carbondale, IL.
- Slow down and be ready to stop when turning or otherwise entering a Carbondale, IL crosswalk.
- Yield to pedestrians in crosswalks and stop well back from the crosswalk to give other Carbondale, IL vehicles an opportunity to see the crossing pedestrians so they can stop, too.
- Never pass vehicles stopped at a Carbondale, IL crosswalk. There may be individuals crossing where you can’t see.
- Never drive under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs in Carbondale, IL.
- Follow the speed limit, particularly around people on the street, in school zones, and in Carbondale, IL neighborhoods where children are present.
- Be extra cautious when backing up and look for Carbondale, IL pedestrians.
8 Safety Tips for Carbondale, IL Pedestrians
- Follow the rules of the road and obey all of the signs and signals in Carbondale, IL.
- Walk on Carbondale, IL sidewalks whenever they are available.
- If there is no sidewalk, walk facing traffic and as far from traffic as possible.
- Cross streets at crosswalks or intersections in Carbondale, IL. Look for cars in all directions, including those turning left or right.
- If a crosswalk or intersection is not available, locate a well-lit area where you have the best view of Carbondale, IL traffic. Wait for a gap in traffic allowing sufficient time to cross safely; keep looking for traffic as you cross.
- Look out for Carbondale, IL cars entering or exiting driveways, or backing up in parking lots.
- Avoid alcohol and drugs when walking in Carbondale, IL; they impair your abilities and your judgment.
- Welcome walking as a healthy form of transportation in Carbondale, IL — get up, get out, and get moving.
What Are the Common Causes of Carbondale, IL Pedestrian Accidents?
There is no sugarcoating it, Carbondale, IL pedestrian accidents are frightening. In addition to the GHSA and NHTSA reports of increased annual pedestrian accidents, our Carbondale, IL pedestrian accident attorneys have noticed a rise in the severity of the injuries. The Missouri Injury legal team can help you or your loved one in Carbondale, IL receive the compensation you are entitled to under the law. Common causes of Carbondale, IL pedestrian accidents include:
Speeding is dangerous. However, it is one of the most common reckless behaviors drivers participate in on the road in and around Carbondale, IL. On average, speeding contributes to nearly 30 percent of U.S. traffic fatalities annually. Under normal speeds, a collision with a pedestrian can be catastrophic. When a Carbondale, IL vehicle is speeding, the results can be deadly. Not only does speeding increase the risk of injury or death in Carbondale, IL, it increases the chance of an accident happening at all. A speeding vehicle takes longer to stop. The Carbondale, IL driver also has less time to act. By the time a Carbondale, IL pedestrian notices a speeding driver is getting close, they may have little time to react.
We all have heard the warnings about texting and driving in and around Carbondale, IL. Sending or receiving a text takes a Carbondale, IL driver’s attention off the road for approximately 5 seconds. In that amount of time, which, at 55 mph, equates to driving the length of a football field with your eyes closed, a pedestrian could be crossing the street; a light could turn red… so many things could happen. In addition to texting, other causes of Carbondale, IL distracted driving include:
- Adjusting the radio
- Talking to passengers
- Talking on the phone (even with a hands-free device)
- Navigation systems
Driving Under the Influence
Driving under the influence is reckless. Approximately 32 people die each day in the U.S. because of a drunk driver, according to the NHTSA. Worst of all, these deaths were all preventable. Driving under the influence in Carbondale, IL hinders an individual’s decision-making skills and can affect motor reflexes. Other dangers in Carbondale, IL are:
- Difficulty concentrating
- Blurry vision
- Delayed reaction time
- Reduced ability to track moving objects
- Decreased alertness
- Inability to multitask
Failure to Yield the Right of Way
Carbondale, IL pedestrians depend on Carbondale, IL drivers to obey right of way laws. When a driver fails to yield the right of way, a Carbondale, IL pedestrian has little time to react. Accidents at intersections, when a driver runs through a traffic device or when they fail to look for pedestrians before making a turn, are commonplace failures to yield the right of way.
Bad weather, darkness, sunlight, or structural obstructions in Carbondale, IL can create poor visibility for drivers. During these types of conditions, drivers need to use extreme caution. Things a Carbondale, IL driver can do to limit the risk of an accident include:
- Reduce driving speed
- Limit distractions
- Make sure safety devices, including headlights, are in working order
- Pay extra attention to hazards and pedestrians
- Allow extra following distance
- Brake at intersections
What is My Carbondale, IL Pedestrian Accident Worth?
While the only way to correctly evaluate the types of damages in any injury claim is through a diligent investigation of the case, our Carbondale, IL pedestrian accident lawyer can help you understand what your case may be worth by assessing:
- The particular circumstances of your Carbondale, IL pedestrian accident
- Who was at fault and if you shared any blame
- The kind of injuries sustained and their severity
- Whether you suffered permanent impairment, disability, or disfigurement
- How your injuries affect your quality of life moving forward
- The strength of your negligence case
- The amount of insurance coverage available
What Are Common Carbondale, IL Pedestrian Accident Injuries?
A Carbondale, IL pedestrian is no match for any kind of motor vehicle, no matter the size or situation. If you have been struck by a car or a truck, or even a golf cart, your safety is the number one priority. At Missouri Injury Law, our team of Carbondale, IL pedestrian accident attorneys can help direct you to the care you need and fight for the compensation you and your family deserve. Some of these injuries may or may not be obvious at the time of the Carbondale, IL accident. If you show any symptoms of a significant condition, seek medical attention immediately. And then phone a pedestrian accident lawyer at Missouri Injury Law as soon as possible at 636-333-1717 or contact us. Common injuries after a Carbondale, IL pedestrian accident include:
- Brain Injuries
- Difficulty concentrating
- Mood changes
- Changes in sleep patterns
- Spinal Cord Injuries
- Severe neck or back pain
- Numbness or tingling
- Difficulty walking
- Difficulty breathing
- Loss of bowel or bladder control
- Extreme neck or back distortion
- Broken Bones
- Cuts, Bruises, and Skin Abrasions
- Mental Health Injuries
Motor vehicle accidents are one of the leading causes of traumatic brain injuries. If you have been in a Carbondale, IL pedestrian accident where you hit your head, you need to watch for any of the following symptoms of TBI, as they can quickly ramp up in Carbondale, IL, and turn life-threatening:
Motor vehicle accidents are the number one cause of spinal cord injuries in the U.S. The severity of a collision from a Carbondale, IL pedestrian accident can cause serious swelling that can eventually result in permanent paralysis. Symptoms of a spinal cord injury in Carbondale, IL include:
The human body is not designed to withstand the force of a 2,000-plus-pound vehicle. For this reason alone, broken bones are commonplace in Carbondale, IL pedestrian accidents.
Cuts and bruises might seem relatively minor after a Carbondale, IL pedestrian accident, but they can lead to major complications, including infections.
There is no way to completely realize how someone feels in the aftermath of a traumatic Carbondale, IL pedestrian accident. We all deal with feelings and emotions differently. After a Carbondale, IL pedestrian accident, it is routine to feel rage, sadness, and confusion. If you are having a hard time after a pedestrian accident in Carbondale, IL, do not hesitate reaching out for help. Our pedestrian accident lawyer can put you in touch with the right professionals. Call us today at 636-333-1717 or contact us in confidence.
How Do I Prove Who Is Liable for My Injuries In a Carbondale, IL Pedestrian Accident?
To prove that a driver was at fault for causing your Carbondale, IL pedestrian accident injuries, your pedestrian accident lawyer near Carbondale, IL, must prove the following:
- The at-fault driver owed you a duty of care to drive their vehicle safely and legally.
- The driver breached their duty of care when they took an action that violated the duty of care.
- This breach of duty resulted in a pedestrian accident that injured you, and your injury caused economic and noneconomic damages.
Your Carbondale, IL Pedestrian Accident Lawyer | Missouri Injury Law Firm
The pedestrian accident lawyers at Missouri Injury Law have dedicated their livelihoods to fighting for Carbondale, IL residents who have been injured due to a driver’s carelessness. We care about guaranteeing that you and your family have little to worry about while we fight for complete compensation for your Carbondale, IL injuries and damages. Read what our Carbondale, IL clients feel about our legal representation.