Pedestrian Accident Lawyer Chester, IL
Serving All Missouri Personal Injury VictimsView Full Service Area
Pedestrian Accident Lawyer Chester, IL. As a pedestrian, you should not have to fear for your safety simply walking on the sidewalk or roadside. In Chester, IL, there are laws in place to protect you, designed to allow pedestrians and motor vehicles to share the same space. Somehow though, several times a day, Chester, IL accidents between motorists and pedestrians continue to occur.
If you or a loved one has been involved in a Chester, IL pedestrian accident, call the Missouri Injury Law Firm immediately at 636-333-1717 or reach out to us for a complimentary, confidential consultation. Our Chester, IL pedestrian accident lawyer will meet with you as soon as possible near Chester, IL to discuss your case and protect your interests. If you have suffered injuries and have lost work and wages due to the Chester, IL accident, you deserve an expert pedestrian accident lawyer from Missouri Injury Law standing by your side.
What Are My Rights After a Chester, IL Pedestrian Accident?
If you have been injured in a Chester, IL pedestrian accident, you may be able to recover damages under state law. In Missouri, accident victims have five years from the date of the accident to file a personal injury suit against the at-fault party. In Illinois, you have two years to file a claim. After your accident, don’t wait to call our Chester, IL professional pedestrian accident lawyer at 636-333-1717 or reach out to us to assist in understanding your rights and helping you fight for the compensation you deserve.
Damages may include, but are not limited to:
- Medical costs — Severe Chester, IL injuries can run up thousands of dollars in medical costs. Covered costs vary from case to case but often include:
- Doctor visits
- Medical devices
- Follow-up care
- Pain and suffering — Chester, IL pedestrian accidents can create serious physical and emotional pain. When an injury or accident near Chester, IL, generates physical and emotional stress, the law permits you to claim these as damages. A few examples include:
- Loss of enjoyment
- Lost wages — If you sustain a serious injury in Chester, IL, you may not be able to return to work immediately. In the event you can’t get back to work, your Chester, IL pedestrian accident lawyer may request future wages.
- Wrongful death — Sadly and unfortunately, some Chester, IL pedestrian accidents may be too severe for your loved one. In this case, you or a family member near Chester, IL, may have a wrongful death case. This kind of claim may include:
- Pain and suffering
- Medical costs
- Lost wages
- Loss of guidance
- Loss of consortium
- Outstanding medical costs
How Common Are Chester, IL Pedestrian Accidents?
According to a recent report from the Governors Highway Safety Association, there were an estimated 7,485 pedestrian deaths in 2021, an increase of 11.5 percent from the previous year. This is the largest number of pedestrian fatalities in four decades. From 2010-2020, pedestrian deaths increased by 54 percent while other traffic deaths combined for an increase of 13 percent.
Along with the GHSA data, the report also studied the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's (NHTSA) Fatality Analysis Reporting System to further review safety trends. The research showed a staggering statistic: The percentage of speeding-related pedestrian deaths among children younger than 15 in has more than doubled since 2018, from 5.8% to 11.9%.
There were 1,341 reported pedestrian accidents in 2021 in Missouri alone, injuring 1,118 and 132 deaths, via the Missouri State Highway Patrol.
Because of these staggering and unsettling numbers, the NHTSA and the Federal Highway Administration launched “Everyone is a Pedestrian” to curb accidents. The initiative provides resources, including these safety tips for Chester, IL pedestrian and drivers:
8 Safety Tips for Chester, IL Drivers
- Look out for Chester, IL pedestrians everywhere, at all times.
- Use extreme caution when driving in hard-to-see conditions, such as nighttime or bad weather in Chester, IL.
- Slow down and be ready to stop when turning or otherwise entering a Chester, IL crosswalk.
- Yield to pedestrians in crosswalks and stop well back from the crosswalk to give other Chester, IL vehicles an opportunity to see the crossing pedestrians so they can stop, too.
- Never pass vehicles stopped at a Chester, IL crosswalk. There may be people crossing where you can’t see.
- Never drive under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs in Chester, IL.
- Follow the speed limit, especially around people on the street, in school zones, and in Chester, IL neighborhoods where children are present.
- Be extra cautious when backing up and be on the look out for Chester, IL pedestrians.
8 Safety Tips for Chester, IL Pedestrians
- Follow the rules of the road and obey all of the signs and signals in Chester, IL.
- Walk on Chester, IL sidewalks whenever they are available.
- If there is no sidewalk, walk facing traffic and as far from traffic as possible.
- Cross streets at crosswalks or intersections in Chester, IL. Look for cars in all directions, including those turning left or right.
- If a crosswalk or intersection is not available, find a well-lit area where you have the optimal view of Chester, IL traffic. Wait for a lapse in traffic allowing enough time to cross safely; continue watching for traffic as you cross.
- Watch for Chester, IL vehicles entering or exiting driveways, or reversing in parking lots.
- Stay away from alcohol and drugs when walking in Chester, IL; they impair your abilities and your judgment.
- Embrace walking as a healthy form of transportation in Chester, IL — get up, get out, and get moving.
What Are the Common Causes of Chester, IL Pedestrian Accidents?
There is no minimizing it, Chester, IL pedestrian accidents are scary. In addition to the GHSA and NHTSA reports of increased pedestrian accidents year-to-year, our Chester, IL pedestrian accident attorneys have seen a rise in the severity of the injuries. The Missouri Injury legal team can help you or your loved one in Chester, IL receive the compensation you are entitled to under the law. Common causes of Chester, IL pedestrian accidents include:
Speeding is dangerous. Yet, it is one of the most common reckless behaviors drivers participate in on the road in and around Chester, IL. On average, speeding contributes to approximately 30 percent of U.S. traffic fatalities annually. Under normal speeds, a collision with a pedestrian can be catastrophic. When a Chester, IL motor vehicle is speeding, the results can be deadly. Not only does speeding increase the risk of injury or death in Chester, IL, it increases the chance of an accident occurring at all. A speeding vehicle needs more time to stop. The Chester, IL driver also has less time to act. By the time a Chester, IL pedestrian recognizes a speeding driver is getting close, they essentially have little time to react.
We all have seen the warnings about texting and driving in and around Chester, IL. Sending or receiving a text takes a Chester, IL driver’s attention off the road for approximately 5 seconds. During that time, which, at 55 mph, equates to driving the length of a football field with your eyes closed, a pedestrian could be crossing the street; a light could turn red… so many things could happen. In addition to texting, other causes of Chester, IL distracted driving are:
- Adjusting the radio
- Talking to passengers
- Talking on the phone (even with a hands-free device)
- Navigation systems
Driving Under the Influence
Driving under the influence is careless. Approximately 32 people die each day in the U.S. because of a drunk driver, according to the NHTSA. Worse still, these deaths were all preventable. Driving under the influence in Chester, IL hinders an individual’s decision-making skills and can affect motor reflexes. Other dangers in Chester, IL include:
- Difficulty concentrating
- Blurry vision
- Delayed reaction time
- Reduced ability to track moving objects
- Decreased alertness
- Inability to multitask
Failure to Yield the Right of Way
Chester, IL pedestrians depend on Chester, IL drivers to follow right of way laws. When a driver fails to yield the right of way, a Chester, IL pedestrian has little time to react. Accidents at intersections, when a driver runs through a traffic device or when they fail to look for pedestrians before making a turn, are commonplace failures to yield the right of way.
Bad weather, darkness, sunlight, or structural obstructions in Chester, IL can create poor visibility for drivers. During these kinds of scenarios, drivers need to exercise extra caution. Things a Chester, IL driver can do to lessen the risk of an accident include:
- Reduce driving speed
- Limit distractions
- Make sure safety devices, including headlights, are in working order
- Pay extra attention to hazards and pedestrians
- Allow extra following distance
- Slow at intersections
What is My Chester, IL Pedestrian Accident Worth?
While the only way to correctly assess the kinds of damages in any injury claim is through a careful investigation of the case, our Chester, IL pedestrian accident lawyer can help you understand what your case might be worth by gauging:
- The specific circumstances of your Chester, IL pedestrian accident
- Who was at fault and if you shared any blame
- The type of injuries sustained and their severity
- Whether you suffered permanent impairment, disability, or disfigurement
- How your injuries affect your quality of life moving forward
- The strength of your negligence case
- The amount of insurance coverage available
What Are Common Chester, IL Pedestrian Accident Injuries?
A Chester, IL pedestrian is no match for any sort of motor vehicle, no matter the size or situation. If you have been struck by a car or a truck, or even a golf cart, your safety is the main priority. At Missouri Injury Law, our staff of Chester, IL pedestrian accident attorneys can help introduce you to the care you need and fight for the compensation you and your family are entitled to. Some of these injuries may or may not be obvious at the time of the Chester, IL accident. If you show any symptoms of a significant condition, seek medical attention right away. And then phone a pedestrian accident lawyer at Missouri Injury Law as soon as possible at 636-333-1717 or contact us. Common injuries after a Chester, IL pedestrian accident include:
- Brain Injuries
- Difficulty concentrating
- Mood changes
- Changes in sleep patterns
- Spinal Cord Injuries
- Severe neck or back pain
- Numbness or tingling
- Difficulty walking
- Difficulty breathing
- Loss of bowel or bladder control
- Severe neck or back distortion
- Broken Bones
- Cuts, Bruises, and Skin Abrasions
- Mental Health Injuries
Motor vehicle accidents are one of the leading causes of traumatic brain injuries. If you have been in a Chester, IL pedestrian accident where you bumped your head, you need to watch for any of the following symptoms of TBI, as they can escalate quickly in Chester, IL, and become life-threatening:
Motor vehicle accidents are the number one cause of spinal cord injuries in the U.S. The severity of the impact of a Chester, IL pedestrian accident can cause serious swelling that can eventually result in permanent paralysis. Symptoms of a spinal cord injury in Chester, IL are:
The human body is not designed to withstand the force of a 2,000-plus-pound vehicle. For this reason alone, broken bones are commonplace in Chester, IL pedestrian accidents.
Cuts and bruises may seem relatively minor after a Chester, IL pedestrian accident, but they can lead to major complications, including infections.
There is no way to truly realize how someone feels in the aftermath of a traumatic Chester, IL pedestrian accident. We all work through feelings and emotions differently. After a Chester, IL pedestrian accident, it is normal to feel intense anger, sadness, and confusion. If you are having difficulty after a pedestrian accident in Chester, IL, don’t hesitate to reach out for help. Our pedestrian accident lawyer can put you in touch with the right people. Call us today at 636-333-1717 or contact us in confidence.
How Do I Prove Who Is Liable for My Injuries In a Chester, IL Pedestrian Accident?
To prove that a driver was at fault for causing your Chester, IL pedestrian accident injuries, your pedestrian accident lawyer near Chester, IL, must prove the following:
- The at-fault driver owed you a duty of care to drive their vehicle safely and legally.
- The driver breached their duty of care when they took an action that violated the duty of care.
- This breach of duty resulted in a pedestrian accident that injured you, and your injury caused economic and noneconomic damages.
Your Chester, IL Pedestrian Accident Lawyer | Missouri Injury Law Firm
The pedestrian accident lawyers at Missouri Injury Law have devoted their livelihoods to fighting for Chester, IL residents who have been injured due to a driver’s recklessness. We care about guaranteeing that you and your family have little to worry about while we fight for maximum compensation for your Chester, IL injuries and damages. See what our Chester, IL clients have to say about our legal representation.