Pedestrian Accident Lawyer Cole County, MO
Serving All Missouri Personal Injury VictimsView Full Service Area
Pedestrian Accident Lawyer Cole County, MO. As a pedestrian, you should never have to fear for your safety simply walking on the sidewalk or roadside. In Cole County, MO, there are laws in place to protect you, designed to allow pedestrians and motor vehicles to share the same space. Somehow though, several times a day, Cole County, MO accidents between motorists and pedestrians still happen.
If you or a loved one has been injured in a Cole County, MO pedestrian accident, call the Missouri Injury Law Firm immediately at 636-333-1717 or contact us for a no-cost, no-risk consultation. Our Cole County, MO pedestrian accident lawyer will meet with you as soon as possible near Cole County, MO to discuss your case and protect your interests. If you have sustained injuries and have lost work and wages because of the Cole County, MO accident, you deserve an expert pedestrian accident lawyer from Missouri Injury Law fighting in your corner.
What Are My Rights After a Cole County, MO Pedestrian Accident?
If you have been injured in a Cole County, MO pedestrian accident, you may have a right to recover damages under state law. In Missouri, accident victims have five years from the date of the accident to file a personal injury claim against the at-fault party. In Illinois, you have two years to file a claim. After your accident, don’t hesitate to call our Cole County, MO professional pedestrian accident lawyer at 636-333-1717 or contact us to assist in understanding your rights and helping you fight for the compensation you are entitled to.
Damages may include, but are not limited to:
- Medical costs — Serious Cole County, MO injuries can incur thousands of dollars in medical costs. Covered costs differ from case to case but often include:
- Doctor visits
- Medical devices
- Follow-up care
- Pain and suffering — Cole County, MO pedestrian accidents can cause serious physical and emotional pain. When an injury or accident near Cole County, MO, causes you physical and emotional stress, the law permits you to claim these as damages. Some examples are:
- Loss of enjoyment
- Lost wages — If you sustain a serious injury in Cole County, MO, you might not be able to return to your job immediately. In the event you can’t get back to work, your Cole County, MO pedestrian accident lawyer may request future wages.
- Wrongful death — Sadly and unfortunately, some Cole County, MO pedestrian accidents may be too severe for your loved one. In this case, you or a family member near Cole County, MO, may have a wrongful death claim. This type of claim may include:
- Pain and suffering
- Medical costs
- Lost wages
- Loss of guidance
- Loss of consortium
- Outstanding medical costs
How Common Are Cole County, MO Pedestrian Accidents?
According to a recent report from the Governors Highway Safety Association, there were an estimated 7,485 pedestrian deaths in 2021, an increase of 11.5 percent from the previous year. This is the largest number of pedestrian fatalities in four decades. From 2010-2020, pedestrian deaths increased by 54 percent while other traffic deaths combined for an increase of 13 percent.
Along with the GHSA data, the report also analyzed the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's (NHTSA) Fatality Analysis Reporting System to further explore safety trends. The research revealed a troubling statistic: The percentage of speeding-related pedestrian deaths among children younger than 15 in has more than doubled since 2018, from 5.8% to 11.9%.
There were 1,341 reported pedestrian accidents in 2021 in Missouri alone, with 1,118 injuries and 132 deaths, via the Missouri State Highway Patrol.
Because of these staggering and unsettling statistics, the NHTSA and the Federal Highway Administration launched “Everyone is a Pedestrian” to curb accidents. The organization offers resources, including these safety tips for Cole County, MO pedestrian and drivers:
8 Safety Tips for Cole County, MO Drivers
- Look out for Cole County, MO pedestrians everywhere, at all times.
- Use extra caution when driving in hard-to-see conditions, like nighttime or bad weather in Cole County, MO.
- Slow down and be prepared to stop when turning or otherwise entering a Cole County, MO crosswalk.
- Yield to pedestrians in crosswalks and stop well back from the crosswalk to give other Cole County, MO vehicles an opportunity to see the crossing pedestrians so they can stop, too.
- Never pass vehicles stopped at a Cole County, MO crosswalk. There may be individuals crossing where you can’t see.
- Never drive under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs in Cole County, MO.
- Follow the speed limit, especially around people on the street, in school zones, and in Cole County, MO neighborhoods where children are present.
- Be extremely cautious when backing up and look for Cole County, MO pedestrians.
8 Safety Tips for Cole County, MO Pedestrians
- Follow the rules of the road and obey all of the signs and signals in Cole County, MO.
- Walk on Cole County, MO sidewalks whenever they are available.
- If there is no sidewalk, walk facing traffic and as far from traffic as possible.
- Cross streets at crosswalks or intersections in Cole County, MO. Look for cars in all directions, including those turning left or right.
- If there is no crosswalk or intersection, locate a well-lit area where you have the optimal view of Cole County, MO traffic. Wait for a gap in traffic that allows sufficient time to cross safely; continue watching for traffic as you cross.
- Watch for Cole County, MO cars entering or exiting driveways, or backing up in parking lots.
- Stay away from alcohol and drugs when walking in Cole County, MO; they impair your abilities and your judgment.
- Welcome walking as a healthy form of transportation in Cole County, MO — get up, get out, and get moving.
What Are the Common Causes of Cole County, MO Pedestrian Accidents?
There is no sugarcoating it, Cole County, MO pedestrian accidents are frightening. In addition to the GHSA and NHTSA reports of increased pedestrian accidents year-to-year, our Cole County, MO pedestrian accident attorneys have seen the injuries becoming more and more severe. The Missouri Injury legal team can help you or your loved one in Cole County, MO receive the compensation you are entitled to under the law. Common causes of Cole County, MO pedestrian accidents include:
Speeding is dangerous. But, it is one of the most common reckless behaviors drivers participate in on the road in and around Cole County, MO. On average, speeding contributes to nearly 30 percent of annual U.S. traffic fatalities. A collision with a pedestrian can be catastrophic under normal speeds. When a Cole County, MO vehicle is speeding, the results can be deadly. Not only does speeding increase the risk of injury or death in Cole County, MO, it increases the chance of an accident happening at all. A speeding vehicle needs more time to stop. The Cole County, MO driver also has less time to act. By the time a Cole County, MO pedestrian realizes a speeding driver is approaching, they may have little time to react.
We all have heard the warnings about texting and driving in and around Cole County, MO. Sending or receiving a text takes a Cole County, MO driver’s attention off the road for approximately 5 seconds. In that amount of time, which, at 55 mph, equates to driving the length of a football field with your eyes closed, a pedestrian could be crossing the street; a light could turn red… so many things could happen. Along with texting, other causes of Cole County, MO distracted driving are:
- Adjusting the radio
- Talking to passengers
- Talking on the phone (even with a hands-free device)
- Navigation systems
Driving Under the Influence
Driving under the influence is reckless. Approximately 32 people die each day in the U.S. because of a drunk driver, according to the NHTSA. Worse still, these deaths were all preventable. Driving under the influence in Cole County, MO impairs a person’s decision-making skills and can affect motor reflexes. Other dangers in Cole County, MO include:
- Difficulty concentrating
- Blurry vision
- Delayed reaction time
- Reduced ability to track moving objects
- Decreased alertness
- Inability to multitask
Failure to Yield the Right of Way
Cole County, MO pedestrians depend on Cole County, MO drivers to obey right of way laws. When a driver fails to yield the right of way, a Cole County, MO pedestrian has little time to act. Accidents at intersections, when a driver runs through a traffic device or when they fail to look for pedestrians before making a turn, are commonplace failures to yield the right of way.
Bad weather, darkness, sunlight, or structural obstructions in Cole County, MO can cause poor visibility for drivers. During these types of conditions, drivers need to use extreme caution. Things a Cole County, MO driver can do to lessen the risk of an accident include:
- Reduce driving speed
- Limit distractions
- Make sure safety devices, including headlights, are in working order
- Pay extra attention to hazards and pedestrians
- Allow extra following distance
- Brake at intersections
What is My Cole County, MO Pedestrian Accident Worth?
While the only way to correctly assess the types of damages in any injury claim is through a careful investigation of the case, our Cole County, MO pedestrian accident lawyer can help you understand what your case might be worth by assessing:
- The particular circumstances of your Cole County, MO pedestrian accident
- Who was at fault and if you shared any blame
- The kind of injuries sustained and their severity
- Whether you suffered permanent impairment, disability, or disfigurement
- How your injuries affect your quality of life moving forward
- The strength of your negligence case
- The amount of insurance coverage available
What Are Common Cole County, MO Pedestrian Accident Injuries?
A Cole County, MO pedestrian is no match for any type of motor vehicle, no matter the size or situation. If you have been struck by a car or a truck, or even a golf cart, your safety is the main priority. At Missouri Injury Law, our staff of Cole County, MO pedestrian accident attorneys can help direct you to the care you need and fight for the compensation you and your loved ones deserve. Several of these injuries may or may not be obvious at the time of the Cole County, MO accident. If you experience any symptoms of a significant condition, seek medical attention as soon as possible. And then call a pedestrian accident lawyer at Missouri Injury Law immediately at 636-333-1717 or contact us. Common injuries after a Cole County, MO pedestrian accident are:
- Brain Injuries
- Difficulty concentrating
- Mood changes
- Changes in sleep patterns
- Spinal Cord Injuries
- Extreme neck or back pain
- Numbness or tingling
- Difficulty walking
- Difficulty breathing
- Loss of bowel or bladder control
- Severe neck or back distortion
- Broken Bones
- Cuts, Bruises, and Skin Abrasions
- Mental Health Injuries
Motor vehicle accidents are one of the leading causes of traumatic brain injuries. If you have been in a Cole County, MO pedestrian accident where you bumped your head, you need to look out for any of the following symptoms of TBI, as they can escalate quickly in Cole County, MO, and turn life-threatening:
Motor vehicle accidents are the number one cause of spinal cord injuries in the U.S. The force of a collision from a Cole County, MO pedestrian accident can cause serious swelling that could ultimately result in permanent paralysis. Symptoms of a spinal cord injury in Cole County, MO include:
The human body is not designed to withstand the force of a 2,000-plus-pound vehicle. For this reason alone, broken bones are commonplace in Cole County, MO pedestrian accidents.
Cuts and bruises may seem relatively minor after a Cole County, MO pedestrian accident, but they can lead to major complications, including infections.
There is no way to completely know how someone feels in the aftermath of a traumatic Cole County, MO pedestrian accident. We all work through feelings and emotions differently. After a Cole County, MO pedestrian accident, it is normal to feel rage, sadness, and confusion. If you are having a hard time after a pedestrian accident in Cole County, MO, don’t hesitate to reach out for help. Our pedestrian accident lawyer can put you in touch with the right people. Call us today at 636-333-1717 or contact us in confidence.
How Do I Prove Who Is Liable for My Injuries In a Cole County, MO Pedestrian Accident?
To prove that a driver was at fault for causing your Cole County, MO pedestrian accident injuries, your pedestrian accident lawyer near Cole County, MO, must prove the following:
- The at-fault driver owed you a duty of care to drive their vehicle safely and legally.
- The driver breached their duty of care when they took an action that violated the duty of care.
- This breach of duty resulted in a pedestrian accident that injured you, and your injury caused economic and noneconomic damages.
Your Cole County, MO Pedestrian Accident Lawyer | Missouri Injury Law Firm
The pedestrian accident lawyers at Missouri Injury Law have dedicated their careers to fighting for Cole County, MO residents who have been injured due to a driver’s recklessness. We are passionate about making sure that you and your family are stress free while we fight for complete compensation for your Cole County, MO injuries and damages. Read what our Cole County, MO clients have to say about our legal representation.