Pedestrian Accident Lawyer Columbia, MO
Serving All Missouri Personal Injury VictimsView Full Service Area
Pedestrian Accident Lawyer Columbia, MO. As a pedestrian, you should not have to be concerned for your safety simply walking on the sidewalk or roadside. In Columbia, MO, there are laws in place to protect you, designed to allow pedestrians and motor vehicles to share the same space. Somehow though, several times a day, Columbia, MO accidents between motorists and pedestrians continue to occur.
If you or someone you love has been injured in a Columbia, MO pedestrian accident, call the Missouri Injury Law Firm immediately at 636-333-1717 or reach out to us for a no-cost, no-risk consultation. Our Columbia, MO pedestrian accident lawyer will meet with you as soon as possible near Columbia, MO to discuss your case and protect your interests. If you have sustained injuries and have lost work and wages because of the Columbia, MO accident, you need an expert pedestrian accident lawyer from Missouri Injury Law fighting in your corner.
What Are My Rights Following a Columbia, MO Pedestrian Accident?
If you’ve been injured in a Columbia, MO pedestrian accident, you may have a right to recover damages under state law. In Missouri, accident victims have five years from the date of the incident to file a personal injury suit against the at-fault party. In Illinois, you have two years to file a claim. Following your accident, be sure to call our Columbia, MO skilled pedestrian accident attorney at 636-333-1717 or reach out to us to assist in understanding your rights and helping you fight for the compensation you are entitled to.
Damages may include, but are not limited to:
- Medical costs — Severe Columbia, MO injuries can run up thousands of dollars in medical costs. Covered costs differ from case to case but frequently include:
- Doctor visits
- Medical devices
- Follow-up care
- Pain and suffering — Columbia, MO pedestrian accidents can create severe physical and emotional pain. When an injury or accident near Columbia, MO, brings about physical and emotional stress, the law allows you to claim these as damages. Some examples include:
- Loss of enjoyment
- Lost wages — If you sustain a serious injury in Columbia, MO, you may not be able to return to your job as soon as you might like. In the event you can’t get back to work, your Columbia, MO pedestrian accident lawyer may ask for future wages.
- Wrongful death — Sadly and unfortunately, some Columbia, MO pedestrian accidents may be too severe for the survival of a loved one. In such a case, you or a family member near Columbia, MO, may have a wrongful death claim. This kind of claim may include:
- Pain and suffering
- Medical costs
- Lost wages
- Loss of guidance
- Loss of consortium
- Outstanding medical costs
How Common Are Columbia, MO Pedestrian Accidents?
According to a recent report from the Governors Highway Safety Association, there were an estimated 7,485 pedestrian deaths in 2021, an increase of 11.5 percent from the previous year. This is the largest number of pedestrian fatalities in four decades. From 2010-2020, pedestrian deaths increased by 54 percent while other traffic deaths combined for an increase of 13 percent.
Alongside the GHSA data, the report also analyzed the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's (NHTSA) Fatality Analysis Reporting System to further probe safety trends. The research revealed a staggering statistic: The percentage of speeding-related pedestrian deaths among children younger than 15 in has more than doubled since 2018, from 5.8% to 11.9%.
There were 1,341 reported pedestrian accidents in 2021 in Missouri alone, with 1,118 injuries and 132 deaths, according to the Missouri State Highway Patrol.
Because of these staggering and unsettling numbers, the NHTSA and the Federal Highway Administration launched “Everyone is a Pedestrian” to curb accidents. The initiative offers resources, including the following safety tips for Columbia, MO pedestrian and drivers:
8 Safety Tips for Columbia, MO Drivers
- Look out for Columbia, MO pedestrians everywhere, at all times.
- Use extra caution when driving in hard-to-see conditions, like nighttime or bad weather in Columbia, MO.
- Slow down and be ready to stop when turning or otherwise entering a Columbia, MO crosswalk.
- Yield to pedestrians in crosswalks and stop well back from the crosswalk to give other Columbia, MO vehicles an opportunity to see the crossing pedestrians so they can stop, too.
- Never pass vehicles stopped at a Columbia, MO crosswalk. There may be individuals crossing where you can’t see.
- Never drive under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs in Columbia, MO.
- Follow the speed limit, especially around people on the street, in school zones, and in Columbia, MO neighborhoods where children are present.
- Be extra cautious when backing up and look for Columbia, MO pedestrians.
8 Safety Tips for Columbia, MO Pedestrians
- Follow the rules of the road and obey all signs and signals in Columbia, MO.
- Walk on Columbia, MO sidewalks whenever they are available.
- If there is no sidewalk, walk facing traffic and as far from traffic as possible.
- Cross streets at crosswalks or intersections in Columbia, MO. Look for cars in all directions, including those turning left or right.
- If there is no crosswalk or intersection, find a well-lit area where you have the optimal view of Columbia, MO traffic. Wait for a gap in traffic allowing enough time to cross safely; keep watching for traffic as you cross.
- Watch for Columbia, MO cars entering or exiting driveways, or backing up in parking lots.
- Avoid alcohol and drugs when walking in Columbia, MO; they impair your abilities and your judgment.
- Welcome walking as a healthy form of transportation in Columbia, MO — get up, get out, and get moving.
Call our Columbia, MO pedestrian accident lawyer now at 636-333-1717 or reach out to us for a no-cost, no-risk consultation.
What Are the Common Causes of Columbia, MO Pedestrian Accidents?
There is no minimizing it, Columbia, MO pedestrian accidents are scary. In addition to the GHSA and NHTSA reports of increasing annual pedestrian accidents, our Columbia, MO pedestrian accident attorneys have noticed a rise in the severity of the injuries. The Missouri Injury legal team can help you or your loved one in Columbia, MO receive the compensation you are due under the law. Common causes of Columbia, MO pedestrian accidents are:
Speeding is dangerous. However, it is one of the most common reckless behaviors drivers participate in on the road in and around Columbia, MO. On average, speeding contributes to approximately 30 percent of U.S. traffic fatalities annually. Under normal speeds, a collision with a pedestrian can be catastrophic. When a Columbia, MO motor vehicle is speeding, the results can be deadly. Not only does speeding increase the risk of injury or death in Columbia, MO, it increases the chance of an accident happening at all. A speeding vehicle needs more time to stop. The Columbia, MO driver also has less time to act. By the time a Columbia, MO pedestrian realizes a speeding driver is approaching, they essentially have little time to react.
We all have heard the warnings about texting and driving in and around Columbia, MO. Sending or receiving a text takes a Columbia, MO driver’s attention off the road for around 5 seconds. In that amount of time, which, at 55 mph, equates to driving the length of a football field with your eyes closed, a pedestrian could be crossing the street; a light could turn red… so many things could happen. Along with texting, other causes of Columbia, MO distracted driving are:
- Adjusting the radio
- Talking to passengers
- Talking on the phone (even with a hands-free device)
- Navigation systems
Driving Under the Influence
Driving under the influence is careless. Approximately 32 people die each day in the U.S. because of a drunk driver, according to the NHTSA. Worst of all, these deaths were all preventable. Driving under the influence in Columbia, MO hinders an individual’s decision-making skills and can affect motor reflexes. Other dangers in Columbia, MO are:
- Difficulty concentrating
- Blurry vision
- Delayed reaction time
- Reduced ability to track moving objects
- Decreased alertness
- Inability to multitask
Failure to Yield the Right of Way
Columbia, MO pedestrians depend on Columbia, MO drivers to follow right of way laws. When a driver fails to yield the right of way, a Columbia, MO pedestrian has little time to act. Failure to yield the right of way commonly causes accidents at intersections, when a driver runs through a traffic device or when they fail to look for pedestrians before making a turn.
Bad weather, darkness, sunlight, or structural obstructions in Columbia, MO can create poor visibility for drivers. During these types of scenarios, drivers need to use extreme caution. Things a Columbia, MO driver can do to lessen the risk of an accident include:
- Reduce driving speed
- Limit distractions
- Make sure safety devices, including headlights, are in working order
- Pay extra attention to hazards and pedestrians
- Allow extra following distance
- Yield at intersections
Call our Columbia, MO pedestrian accident lawyer today at 636-333-1717 or reach out to us for a complimentary, confidential case review.
What is My Columbia, MO Pedestrian Accident Worth?
While the only way to correctly assess the kinds of damages in any injury claim is through a careful investigation of the case, our Columbia, MO pedestrian accident lawyer can help you understand what your case might be worth by gauging:
- The specific circumstances of your Columbia, MO pedestrian accident
- Who was at fault and if you shared any blame
- The type of injuries sustained and their severity
- Whether you suffered permanent impairment, disability, or disfigurement
- How your injuries affect your quality of life moving forward
- The strength of your negligence case
- The amount of insurance coverage available
What Are Common Columbia, MO Pedestrian Accident Injuries?
A Columbia, MO pedestrian is no match for any sort of motor vehicle, no matter the size or scenario. If you have been struck by a car or a truck, or even a golf cart, your safety is the number one priority. At Missouri Injury Law, our staff of Columbia, MO pedestrian accident attorneys can help direct you to the care you need and fight for the compensation you and your family are entitled to. Some of these injuries may or may not be apparent at the time of the Columbia, MO accident. If you notice any symptoms of a serious condition, seek medical attention immediately. And then phone a pedestrian accident lawyer at Missouri Injury Law as soon as possible at 636-333-1717 or contact us. Common injuries after a Columbia, MO pedestrian accident are:
- Brain Injuries
- Difficulty concentrating
- Mood changes
- Changes in sleep patterns
- Spinal Cord Injuries
- Severe neck or back pain
- Numbness or tingling
- Difficulty walking
- Difficulty breathing
- Loss of bowel or bladder control
- Extreme neck or back distortion
- Broken Bones
- Cuts, Bruises, and Skin Abrasions
- Mental Health Injuries
Motor vehicle accidents are one of the leading causes of traumatic brain injuries. If you have been in a Columbia, MO pedestrian accident where you hit your head, you need to look out for any of the following symptoms of TBI, as they can escalate quickly in Columbia, MO, and become life-threatening:
Motor vehicle accidents are the number one cause of spinal cord injuries in the U.S. The severity of a collision from a Columbia, MO pedestrian accident can cause severe swelling that can eventually result in permanent paralysis. Symptoms of a spinal cord injury in Columbia, MO include:
The human body is not designed to withstand the force of a 2,000-plus-pound vehicle. For this reason alone, broken bones are commonplace in Columbia, MO pedestrian accidents.
Cuts and bruises might seem like minor injuries after a Columbia, MO pedestrian accident, but they can lead to major complications, including infections.
There is no way to truly understand how someone feels in the aftermath of a traumatic Columbia, MO pedestrian accident. We all experience feelings and emotions differently. After a Columbia, MO pedestrian accident, it is normal to feel rage, sadness, and confusion. If you are having a hard time after a pedestrian accident in Columbia, MO, do not hesitate reaching out for help. Our pedestrian accident lawyer can put you in touch with the right people. Call us today at 636-333-1717 or contact us in confidence.
How Do I Prove Who Is Liable for My Injuries In a Columbia, MO Pedestrian Accident?
To prove that a driver was at fault for causing your Columbia, MO pedestrian accident injuries, your pedestrian accident lawyer near Columbia, MO, must prove the following:
- The at-fault driver owed you a duty of care to drive their vehicle safely and legally.
- The driver breached their duty of care when they took an action that violated the duty of care.
- This breach of duty resulted in a pedestrian accident that injured you, and your injury caused economic and noneconomic damages.
Your Columbia, MO Pedestrian Accident Lawyer | Missouri Injury Law Firm
The pedestrian accident lawyers at Missouri Injury Law have devoted their careers to fighting for Columbia, MO residents who have been injured due to a driver’s carelessness. We care about making sure that you and your family have little to worry about while we fight for maximum compensation for your Columbia, MO injuries and damages. Read what our Columbia, MO clients feel about our legal representation.
Call one of our Columbia, MO pedestrian accident lawyers at Missouri Injury Law today at 636-333-1717 or contact us online for a free and confidential consultation near Columbia, MO.