Pedestrian Accident Lawyer Crestwood, MO
Serving All Missouri Personal Injury VictimsView Full Service Area
Pedestrian Accident Lawyer Crestwood, MO. As a pedestrian, you should never have to fear for your safety doing something as simple as strolling down the sidewalk or roadside. In Crestwood, MO, there are laws in place to protect you, designed to allow pedestrians and motor vehicles to share the same space. Somehow though, day after day, Crestwood, MO accidents between motorists and pedestrians still occur.
If you or someone you love has been involved in a Crestwood, MO pedestrian accident, call the Missouri Injury Law Firm immediately at 636-333-1717 or reach out to us for a no-cost, no-risk consultation. Our Crestwood, MO pedestrian accident lawyer will meet with you as soon as possible near Crestwood, MO to discuss your case and protect your interests. If you have sustained injuries and have lost work and wages due to the Crestwood, MO accident, you deserve an expert pedestrian accident lawyer from Missouri Injury Law fighting in your corner.
What Are My Rights Following a Crestwood, MO Pedestrian Accident?
If you’ve been injured in a Crestwood, MO pedestrian accident, you may have a right to recover damages under state law. In Missouri, accident victims have five years from the date of the incident to file a personal injury claim against the at-fault party. In Illinois, you have two years to file a claim. Following your accident, be sure to call our Crestwood, MO skilled pedestrian accident attorney at 636-333-1717 or contact us to help you understand your rights and assist you in fighting for the compensation you are entitled to.
Damages may include, but are not limited to:
- Medical costs — Serious Crestwood, MO injuries can incur thousands of dollars in medical costs. Covered costs vary from case to case but often include:
- Doctor visits
- Medical devices
- Follow-up care
- Pain and suffering — Crestwood, MO pedestrian accidents can cause dire physical and emotional pain. When an injury or accident near Crestwood, MO, generates physical and emotional stress, the law permits you to claim these as damages. A few examples include:
- Loss of enjoyment
- Lost wages — If you sustain a serious injury in Crestwood, MO, you might not be able to return to work immediately. In the event you can’t get back to work, your Crestwood, MO pedestrian accident lawyer may ask for future wages.
- Wrongful death — Sadly and unfortunately, some Crestwood, MO pedestrian accidents may be too severe for the survival of a loved one. In such a case, you or a family member near Crestwood, MO, may have a wrongful death claim. This kind of claim may include:
- Pain and suffering
- Medical costs
- Lost wages
- Loss of guidance
- Loss of consortium
- Outstanding medical costs
How Common Are Crestwood, MO Pedestrian Accidents?
According to a recent report from the Governors Highway Safety Association, there were an estimated 7,485 pedestrian deaths in 2021, an increase of 11.5 percent from the previous year. This is the largest number of pedestrian fatalities in four decades. From 2010-2020, pedestrian deaths increased by 54 percent while other traffic deaths combined for an increase of 13 percent.
Along with the GHSA data, the report also studied the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's (NHTSA) Fatality Analysis Reporting System to further review safety trends. The research revealed a troubling statistic: The percentage of speeding-related pedestrian deaths among children younger than 15 in has more than doubled since 2018, from 5.8% to 11.9%.
There were 1,341 reported pedestrian accidents in 2021 in Missouri alone, with 1,118 injuries and killing 132 individuals, via the Missouri State Highway Patrol.
Due to these staggering and unsettling statistics, the NHTSA and the Federal Highway Administration started “Everyone is a Pedestrian” to curb accidents. The initiative offers resources, including the following safety tips for Crestwood, MO pedestrian and drivers:
8 Safety Tips for Crestwood, MO Drivers
- Look out for Crestwood, MO pedestrians everywhere, at all times.
- Use extra caution when driving in hard-to-see situations, like nighttime or bad weather in Crestwood, MO.
- Slow down and be ready to stop when turning or otherwise entering a Crestwood, MO crosswalk.
- Yield to pedestrians in crosswalks and stop well back from the crosswalk to give other Crestwood, MO vehicles an opportunity to see the crossing pedestrians so they can stop, too.
- Never pass vehicles stopped at a Crestwood, MO crosswalk. There might be individuals crossing where you can’t see.
- Never drive under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs in Crestwood, MO.
- Follow the speed limit, especially around people on the street, in school zones, and in Crestwood, MO neighborhoods where children are present.
- Be extremely cautious when backing up and look for Crestwood, MO pedestrians.
8 Safety Tips for Crestwood, MO Pedestrians
- Follow the rules of the road and obey all signs and signals in Crestwood, MO.
- Walk on Crestwood, MO sidewalks whenever they are available.
- If there is no sidewalk, walk facing traffic and as far from traffic as possible.
- Cross streets at crosswalks or intersections in Crestwood, MO. Look for cars in all directions, including those turning left or right.
- If there is no crosswalk or intersection, locate a well-lit area where you have the best view of Crestwood, MO traffic. Wait for a gap in traffic allowing enough time to cross safely; continue looking for traffic as you cross.
- Look out for Crestwood, MO vehicles entering or exiting driveways, or backing up in parking lots.
- Stay away from alcohol and drugs when walking in Crestwood, MO; they impair your abilities and your judgment.
- Embrace walking as a healthy form of transportation in Crestwood, MO — get up, get out, and get moving.
What Are the Common Causes of Crestwood, MO Pedestrian Accidents?
There is no minimizing it, Crestwood, MO pedestrian accidents are scary. In addition to the GHSA and NHTSA reports of increasing pedestrian accidents year-to-year, our Crestwood, MO pedestrian accident lawyers have seen the injuries becoming more and more severe. The Missouri Injury legal team can help you or your loved one in Crestwood, MO receive the compensation you are due under the law. Common causes of Crestwood, MO pedestrian accidents include:
Speeding is dangerous. Yet, it is one of the most common reckless behaviors drivers participate in on the road in and around Crestwood, MO. On average, speeding contributes to approximately 30 percent of U.S. traffic fatalities annually. Under normal speeds, a collision with a pedestrian can be catastrophic. When a Crestwood, MO vehicle is speeding, the results can be deadly. Not only does speeding increase the risk of injury or death in Crestwood, MO, it increases the chance of an accident occurring at all. A speeding vehicle needs more time to stop. The Crestwood, MO driver also has less time to react. By the time a Crestwood, MO pedestrian notices a speeding driver is getting close, they essentially have little time to react.
We all have seen the warnings about texting and driving in and around Crestwood, MO. Sending or receiving a text takes a Crestwood, MO driver’s attention off the road for approximately 5 seconds. In that amount of time, which, at 55 mph, equates to driving the length of a football field with your eyes closed, a pedestrian could be crossing the street; a light could turn red… so many things could happen. Along with texting, other causes of Crestwood, MO distracted driving are:
- Adjusting the radio
- Talking to passengers
- Talking on the phone (even with a hands-free device)
- Navigation systems
Driving Under the Influence
Driving under the influence is reckless. Approximately 32 people die every day in the U.S. because of a drunk driver, according to the NHTSA. Worse still, these deaths were all preventable. Driving under the influence in Crestwood, MO impedes an individual’s decision-making skills and can affect motor reflexes. Other dangers in Crestwood, MO include:
- Difficulty concentrating
- Blurry vision
- Delayed reaction time
- Reduced ability to track moving objects
- Decreased alertness
- Inability to multitask
Failure to Yield the Right of Way
Crestwood, MO pedestrians depend on Crestwood, MO drivers to obey right of way laws. When a driver fails to yield the right of way, a Crestwood, MO pedestrian has little time to act. Accidents at intersections, when a driver runs through a traffic device or when they fail to look for pedestrians before making a turn, are commonplace failures to yield the right of way.
Bad weather, darkness, sunlight, or structural obstructions in Crestwood, MO can cause poor visibility for drivers. During these kinds of conditions, drivers need to use extreme caution. Things a Crestwood, MO driver can do to limit the risk of an accident include:
- Reduce driving speed
- Limit distractions
- Ensure safety devices, including headlights, are in working order
- Pay extra attention to hazards and pedestrians
- Allow extra following distance
- Slow at intersections
What is My Crestwood, MO Pedestrian Accident Worth?
While the only way to correctly evaluate the types of damages in any injury claim is through an intricate investigation of the case, our Crestwood, MO pedestrian accident lawyer can help you understand what your case may be worth by assessing:
- The specific circumstances of your Crestwood, MO pedestrian accident
- Who was at fault and if you shared any blame
- The kind of injuries sustained and their severity
- Whether you suffered permanent impairment, disability, or disfigurement
- How your injuries affect your quality of life moving forward
- The strength of your negligence case
- The amount of insurance coverage available
What Are Common Crestwood, MO Pedestrian Accident Injuries?
A Crestwood, MO pedestrian is no match for any sort of motor vehicle, no matter the size or scenario. If you have been hit by a car or a truck, or even a golf cart, your well-being is the number one concern. At Missouri Injury Law, our team of Crestwood, MO pedestrian accident attorneys can help introduce you to the care you need and fight for the compensation you and your family are entitled to. Some of these injuries may or may not be apparent at the time of the Crestwood, MO accident. If you notice any symptoms of a significant condition, seek medical attention as soon as possible. And then call a pedestrian accident lawyer at Missouri Injury Law immediately at 636-333-1717 or contact us. Common injuries after a Crestwood, MO pedestrian accident are:
- Brain Injuries
- Difficulty concentrating
- Mood changes
- Changes in sleep patterns
- Spinal Cord Injuries
- Extreme neck or back pain
- Numbness or tingling
- Difficulty walking
- Difficulty breathing
- Loss of bowel or bladder control
- Severe neck or back distortion
- Broken Bones
- Cuts, Bruises, and Skin Abrasions
- Mental Health Injuries
Motor vehicle accidents are one of the leading causes of traumatic brain injuries. If you have been in a Crestwood, MO pedestrian accident where you hit your head, you need to watch for any of the following symptoms of TBI, as they can escalate quickly in Crestwood, MO, and turn life-threatening:
Motor vehicle accidents are the number one cause of spinal cord injuries in the U.S. The severity of a collision from a Crestwood, MO pedestrian accident can cause severe swelling that can ultimately result in permanent paralysis. Symptoms of a spinal cord injury in Crestwood, MO include:
The human body is not designed to sustain the force of a 2,000-plus-pound vehicle. For this reason alone, broken bones are commonplace in Crestwood, MO pedestrian accidents.
Cuts and bruises might seem relatively minor after a Crestwood, MO pedestrian accident, but they can lead to serious complications, including infections.
There is no way to completely realize how someone feels in the aftermath of a traumatic Crestwood, MO pedestrian accident. We all work through feelings and emotions differently. Following a Crestwood, MO pedestrian accident, it is routine to feel intense anger, sadness, and confusion. If you are having a hard time after a pedestrian accident in Crestwood, MO, do not hesitate to reach out for help. Our pedestrian accident lawyer can put you in contact with the right professionals. Call us today at 636-333-1717 or contact us in confidence.
How Do I Prove Who Is Liable for My Injuries In a Crestwood, MO Pedestrian Accident?
To prove that a driver was at fault for causing your Crestwood, MO pedestrian accident injuries, your pedestrian accident lawyer near Crestwood, MO, must prove the following:
- The at-fault driver owed you a duty of care to drive their vehicle safely and legally.
- The driver breached their duty of care when they took an action that violated the duty of care.
- This breach of duty resulted in a pedestrian accident that injured you, and your injury caused economic and noneconomic damages.
Your Crestwood, MO Pedestrian Accident Lawyer | Missouri Injury Law Firm
The pedestrian accident lawyers at Missouri Injury Law have devoted their livelihoods to fighting for Crestwood, MO residents who have been injured due to a driver’s carelessness. We are passionate about guaranteeing that you and your family are stress free while we fight for complete compensation for your Crestwood, MO injuries and damages. See what our Crestwood, MO clients feel about our legal representation.