Pedestrian Accident Lawyer De Soto, MO
Serving All Missouri Personal Injury VictimsView Full Service Area
Pedestrian Accident Lawyer De Soto, MO. As a pedestrian, you should never have to fear for your safety simply walking on the sidewalk or roadside. In De Soto, MO, there are laws in place to protect you, designed to allow pedestrians and motor vehicles to share the same space. Somehow though, several times a day, De Soto, MO accidents between motorists and pedestrians continue to happen.
If you or a loved one has been involved in a De Soto, MO pedestrian accident, call the Missouri Injury Law Firm immediately at 636-333-1717 or contact us for a complimentary, confidential consultation. Our De Soto, MO pedestrian accident lawyer will meet with you as soon as possible near De Soto, MO to discuss your case and protect your interests. If you have sustained injuries and have lost work and wages due to the De Soto, MO accident, you deserve an expert pedestrian accident lawyer from Missouri Injury Law standing by your side.
What Are My Rights Following a De Soto, MO Pedestrian Accident?
If you have been injured in a De Soto, MO pedestrian accident, you may have a right to recover damages under state law. In Missouri, accident victims have five years from the date of the accident to file a personal injury claim against the at-fault party. In Illinois, you have two years to file a claim. After your accident, don’t hesitate to call our De Soto, MO skilled pedestrian accident lawyer at 636-333-1717 or contact us to help you understand your rights and assist you in fighting for the compensation you deserve.
Damages may include, but are not limited to:
- Medical costs — Serious De Soto, MO injuries can run up thousands of dollars in medical costs. Covered costs differ from case to case but frequently include:
- Doctor visits
- Medical devices
- Follow-up care
- Pain and suffering — De Soto, MO pedestrian accidents can cause dire physical and emotional pain. When an injury or accident near De Soto, MO, brings about physical and emotional stress, the law allows you to claim these as damages. Some examples are:
- Loss of enjoyment
- Lost wages — If you suffer a serious injury in De Soto, MO, you may not be able to return to work immediately. In the event you can’t get back to work, your De Soto, MO pedestrian accident lawyer may request future wages.
- Wrongful death — Sadly and unfortunately, some De Soto, MO pedestrian accidents may be too severe for the survival of a loved one. In such a case, you or a family member near De Soto, MO, may have a wrongful death claim. This kind of claim may include:
- Pain and suffering
- Medical costs
- Lost wages
- Loss of guidance
- Loss of consortium
- Outstanding medical costs
How Common Are De Soto, MO Pedestrian Accidents?
According to a recent report from the Governors Highway Safety Association, there were an estimated 7,485 pedestrian deaths in 2021, an increase of 11.5 percent from the previous year. This is the largest number of pedestrian fatalities in four decades. From 2010-2020, pedestrian deaths increased by 54 percent while other traffic deaths combined for an increase of 13 percent.
In addition to the GHSA data, the report also studied the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's (NHTSA) Fatality Analysis Reporting System to further explore safety trends. The research showed a troubling statistic: The percentage of speeding-related pedestrian deaths among children younger than 15 in has more than doubled since 2018, from 5.8% to 11.9%.
There were 1,341 reported pedestrian accidents in 2021 in Missouri alone, injuring 1,118 and 132 deaths, according to the Missouri State Highway Patrol.
Because of these staggering and unsettling numbers, the NHTSA and the Federal Highway Administration launched “Everyone is a Pedestrian” to curb accidents. The initiative provides resources, including the following safety tips for De Soto, MO pedestrian and drivers:
8 Safety Tips for De Soto, MO Drivers
- Look out for De Soto, MO pedestrians everywhere, at all times.
- Use extra caution when driving in hard-to-see conditions, like nighttime or bad weather in De Soto, MO.
- Slow down and be prepared to stop when turning or otherwise entering a De Soto, MO crosswalk.
- Yield to pedestrians in crosswalks and stop well back from the crosswalk to give other De Soto, MO vehicles an opportunity to see the crossing pedestrians so they can stop, too.
- Never pass vehicles stopped at a De Soto, MO crosswalk. There might be individuals crossing where you can’t see.
- Never drive under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs in De Soto, MO.
- Follow the speed limit, particularly around people on the street, in school zones, and in De Soto, MO neighborhoods where children are present.
- Be extra cautious when backing up and be on the look out for De Soto, MO pedestrians.
8 Safety Tips for De Soto, MO Pedestrians
- Follow the rules of the road and obey all signs and signals in De Soto, MO.
- Walk on De Soto, MO sidewalks whenever they are available.
- If there is no sidewalk, walk facing traffic and as far from traffic as possible.
- Cross streets at crosswalks or intersections in De Soto, MO. Look for cars in all directions, including those turning left or right.
- If there is no crosswalk or intersection, find an illuminated area where you have the optimal view of De Soto, MO traffic. Wait for a gap in traffic that allows sufficient time to cross safely; keep looking for traffic as you cross.
- Watch for De Soto, MO cars entering or exiting driveways, or reversing in parking lots.
- Avoid alcohol and drugs when walking in De Soto, MO; they impair your abilities and your judgment.
- Welcome walking as a healthy form of transportation in De Soto, MO — get up, get out, and get moving.
What Are the Common Causes of De Soto, MO Pedestrian Accidents?
There is no sugarcoating it, De Soto, MO pedestrian accidents are scary. In addition to the GHSA and NHTSA reports of increased annual pedestrian accidents, our De Soto, MO pedestrian accident lawyers have noticed the injuries becoming more and more severe. The Missouri Injury legal team can help you or your loved one in De Soto, MO receive the compensation you are due under the law. Common causes of De Soto, MO pedestrian accidents include:
Speeding is dangerous. But, it is one of the most common reckless behaviors drivers participate in on the road in and around De Soto, MO. On average, speeding contributes to nearly 30 percent of U.S. traffic fatalities annually. Under normal speeds, a collision with a pedestrian can be catastrophic. When a De Soto, MO driver is speeding, the results can be deadly. Not only does speeding increase the risk of injury or death in De Soto, MO, it increases the chance of an accident happening at all. A speeding vehicle takes longer to stop. The De Soto, MO driver also has less time to act. By the time a De Soto, MO pedestrian notices a speeding driver is getting close, they may have little time to react.
We all have heard the warnings about texting and driving in and around De Soto, MO. Sending or receiving a text takes a De Soto, MO driver’s attention off the road for approximately 5 seconds. During that time, which, at 55 mph, equates to driving the length of a football field with your eyes closed, a pedestrian could be crossing the street; a light could turn red… so many things could happen. In addition to texting, other causes of De Soto, MO distracted driving include:
- Adjusting the radio
- Talking to passengers
- Talking on the phone (even with a hands-free device)
- Navigation systems
Driving Under the Influence
Driving under the influence is reckless. Approximately 32 people die each day in the U.S. because of a drunk driver, according to the NHTSA. Worst of all, these deaths were all preventable. Driving under the influence in De Soto, MO hinders an individual’s decision-making skills and can affect motor reflexes. Other dangers in De Soto, MO include:
- Difficulty concentrating
- Blurry vision
- Delayed reaction time
- Reduced ability to track moving objects
- Decreased alertness
- Inability to multitask
Failure to Yield the Right of Way
De Soto, MO pedestrians depend on De Soto, MO drivers to obey right of way laws. When a driver fails to yield the right of way, a De Soto, MO pedestrian has little time to act. Failure to yield the right of way commonly causes accidents at intersections, when a driver runs through a traffic device or when they fail to look for pedestrians before making a turn.
Bad weather, darkness, sunlight, or structural obstructions in De Soto, MO can cause poor visibility for drivers. During these types of situations, drivers need to exercise extra caution. Things a De Soto, MO driver can do to limit the risk of an accident include:
- Reduce driving speed
- Limit distractions
- Make sure safety devices, including headlights, are in working order
- Pay extra attention to hazards and pedestrians
- Allow extra following distance
- Yield at intersections
What is My De Soto, MO Pedestrian Accident Worth?
While the only way to correctly assess the types of damages in any injury claim is through an intricate investigation of the case, our De Soto, MO pedestrian accident lawyer can help you understand what your case may be worth by assessing:
- The particular circumstances of your De Soto, MO pedestrian accident
- Who was at fault and if you shared any blame
- The kind of injuries sustained and their severity
- Whether you suffered permanent impairment, disability, or disfigurement
- How your injuries affect your quality of life moving forward
- The strength of your negligence case
- The amount of insurance coverage available
What Are Common De Soto, MO Pedestrian Accident Injuries?
A De Soto, MO pedestrian is no match for any type of motor vehicle, no matter the size or scenario. If you have been struck by a car or a truck, or even a golf cart, your safety is the number one priority. At Missouri Injury Law, our team of De Soto, MO pedestrian accident attorneys can help introduce you to the care you need and fight for the compensation you and your loved ones are entitled to. Several of these injuries may or may not be apparent at the time of the De Soto, MO accident. If you notice any symptoms of a serious condition, seek medical attention right away. And then phone a pedestrian accident lawyer at Missouri Injury Law immediately at 636-333-1717 or contact us. Common injuries after a De Soto, MO pedestrian accident include:
- Brain Injuries
- Difficulty concentrating
- Mood changes
- Changes in sleep patterns
- Spinal Cord Injuries
- Severe neck or back pain
- Numbness or tingling
- Difficulty walking
- Difficulty breathing
- Loss of bowel or bladder control
- Extreme neck or back distortion
- Broken Bones
- Cuts, Bruises, and Skin Abrasions
- Mental Health Injuries
Motor vehicle accidents are one of the leading causes of traumatic brain injuries. If you have been in a De Soto, MO pedestrian accident where you bumped your head, you need to watch for any of the following symptoms of TBI, as they can quickly ramp up in De Soto, MO, and turn life-threatening:
Motor vehicle accidents are the number one cause of spinal cord injuries in the U.S. The severity of a collision from a De Soto, MO pedestrian accident can cause serious swelling that could eventually result in permanent paralysis. Symptoms of a spinal cord injury in De Soto, MO are:
The human body is not made to withstand the force of a 2,000-plus-pound vehicle. For this reason alone, broken bones are commonplace in De Soto, MO pedestrian accidents.
Cuts and bruises may seem relatively minor after a De Soto, MO pedestrian accident, but they can lead to serious complications, including infections.
There is no way to completely know how someone feels after a traumatic De Soto, MO pedestrian accident. We all experience feelings and emotions differently. Following a De Soto, MO pedestrian accident, it is routine to feel rage, sadness, and confusion. If you are having a hard time after a pedestrian accident in De Soto, MO, don’t hesitate to reach out for help. Our pedestrian accident lawyer can put you in touch with the right people. Call us today at 636-333-1717 or contact us in confidence.
How Do I Prove Who Is Liable for My Injuries In a De Soto, MO Pedestrian Accident?
To prove that a driver was at fault for causing your De Soto, MO pedestrian accident injuries, your pedestrian accident lawyer near De Soto, MO, must prove the following:
- The at-fault driver owed you a duty of care to drive their vehicle safely and legally.
- The driver breached their duty of care when they took an action that violated the duty of care.
- This breach of duty resulted in a pedestrian accident that injured you, and your injury caused economic and noneconomic damages.
Your De Soto, MO Pedestrian Accident Lawyer | Missouri Injury Law Firm
The pedestrian accident lawyers at Missouri Injury Law have devoted their livelihoods to fighting for De Soto, MO residents who have been injured as a result of a driver’s carelessness. We care about guaranteeing that you and your family are stress free while we fight for complete compensation for your De Soto, MO injuries and damages. See what our De Soto, MO clients feel about our legal representation.