Pedestrian Accident Lawyer Des Peres, MO
Serving All Missouri Personal Injury VictimsView Full Service Area
Pedestrian Accident Lawyer Des Peres, MO. As a pedestrian, you should not have to be concerned for your safety doing something as simple as walking on the sidewalk or roadside. In Des Peres, MO, there are laws in place to protect you, designed to allow pedestrians and motor vehicles to share the same space. Somehow though, several times a day, Des Peres, MO accidents between motorists and pedestrians still happen.
If you or a loved one has been injured in a Des Peres, MO pedestrian accident, call the Missouri Injury Law Firm immediately at 636-333-1717 or contact us for a no-cost, no-risk consultation. Our Des Peres, MO pedestrian accident lawyer will meet with you as soon as possible near Des Peres, MO to discuss your case and protect your interests. If you have sustained injuries and have lost work and wages due to the Des Peres, MO accident, you need an expert pedestrian accident lawyer from Missouri Injury Law standing by your side.
What Are My Rights After a Des Peres, MO Pedestrian Accident?
If you have been injured in a Des Peres, MO pedestrian accident, you may have a right to recover damages under state law. In Missouri, accident victims have five years from the date of the incident to file a personal injury suit against the at-fault party. In Illinois, you have two years to file a claim. Following your accident, don’t wait to call our Des Peres, MO skilled pedestrian accident lawyer at 636-333-1717 or reach out to us to assist in understanding your rights and helping you fight for the compensation you are entitled to.
Damages may include, but are not limited to:
- Medical costs — Severe Des Peres, MO injuries can incur thousands of dollars in medical costs. Covered costs vary from case to case but often include:
- Doctor visits
- Medical devices
- Follow-up care
- Pain and suffering — Des Peres, MO pedestrian accidents can create serious physical and emotional pain. When an injury or accident near Des Peres, MO, brings about physical and emotional stress, the law permits you to claim these as damages. Some examples are:
- Loss of enjoyment
- Lost wages — If you sustain a serious injury in Des Peres, MO, you might not be able to return to work as soon as you might like. In the event you can’t get back to work, your Des Peres, MO pedestrian accident lawyer may request future wages.
- Wrongful death — Sadly and unfortunately, some Des Peres, MO pedestrian accidents may be too severe for the survival of a loved one. In this case, you or a family member near Des Peres, MO, may have a wrongful death case. This kind of claim may include:
- Pain and suffering
- Medical costs
- Lost wages
- Loss of guidance
- Loss of consortium
- Outstanding medical costs
How Common Are Des Peres, MO Pedestrian Accidents?
According to a recent report from the Governors Highway Safety Association, there were an estimated 7,485 pedestrian deaths in 2021, an increase of 11.5 percent from the previous year. This is the largest number of pedestrian fatalities in four decades. From 2010-2020, pedestrian deaths increased by 54 percent while other traffic deaths combined for an increase of 13 percent.
Along with the GHSA data, the report also analyzed the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's (NHTSA) Fatality Analysis Reporting System to further explore safety trends. The analysis revealed a staggering statistic: The percentage of speeding-related pedestrian deaths among children younger than 15 in has more than doubled since 2018, from 5.8% to 11.9%.
There were 1,341 reported pedestrian accidents in 2021 in Missouri alone, injuring 1,118 and 132 deaths, via the Missouri State Highway Patrol.
Because of these staggering and unsettling numbers, the NHTSA and the Federal Highway Administration launched “Everyone is a Pedestrian” to curb accidents. The organization offers resources, including these safety tips for Des Peres, MO pedestrian and drivers:
8 Safety Tips for Des Peres, MO Drivers
- Look out for Des Peres, MO pedestrians everywhere, at all times.
- Use extreme caution when driving in hard-to-see conditions, like nighttime or bad weather in Des Peres, MO.
- Slow down and be prepared to stop when turning or otherwise entering a Des Peres, MO crosswalk.
- Yield to pedestrians in crosswalks and stop well back from the crosswalk to give other Des Peres, MO vehicles an opportunity to see the crossing pedestrians so they can stop, too.
- Never pass vehicles stopped at a Des Peres, MO crosswalk. There might be individuals crossing where you can’t see.
- Never drive under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs in Des Peres, MO.
- Follow the speed limit, especially around people on the street, in school zones, and in Des Peres, MO neighborhoods where children are present.
- Be extra cautious when backing up and be on the look out for Des Peres, MO pedestrians.
8 Safety Tips for Des Peres, MO Pedestrians
- Follow the rules of the road and obey all of the signs and signals in Des Peres, MO.
- Walk on Des Peres, MO sidewalks whenever they are available.
- If there is no sidewalk, walk facing traffic and as far from traffic as possible.
- Cross streets at crosswalks or intersections in Des Peres, MO. Look for cars in all directions, including those turning left or right.
- If a crosswalk or intersection is not available, find an illuminated area where you have the best view of Des Peres, MO traffic. Wait for a gap in traffic allowing sufficient time to cross safely; continue looking for traffic as you cross.
- Watch for Des Peres, MO cars entering or exiting driveways, or backing up in parking lots.
- Avoid alcohol and drugs when walking in Des Peres, MO; they impair your abilities and your judgment.
- Welcome walking as a healthy form of transportation in Des Peres, MO — get up, get out, and get moving.
What Are the Common Causes of Des Peres, MO Pedestrian Accidents?
There is no sugarcoating it, Des Peres, MO pedestrian accidents are scary. In addition to the GHSA and NHTSA reports of increasing annual pedestrian accidents, our Des Peres, MO pedestrian accident attorneys have noticed a rise in the severity of the injuries. The Missouri Injury legal team can help you or your loved one in Des Peres, MO receive the compensation you are due under the law. Common causes of Des Peres, MO pedestrian accidents are:
Speeding is dangerous. Yet, it is one of the most common reckless behaviors drivers participate in on the road in and around Des Peres, MO. On average, speeding contributes to nearly 30 percent of annual U.S. traffic fatalities. A collision with a pedestrian can be catastrophic under normal speeds. When a Des Peres, MO motor vehicle is speeding, the results can be deadly. Not only does speeding increase the risk of injury or death in Des Peres, MO, it increases the chance of an accident happening at all. A speeding vehicle takes longer to stop. The Des Peres, MO driver also has less time to react. By the time a Des Peres, MO pedestrian notices a speeding driver is approaching, they essentially have little time to react.
We all have heard the warnings about texting and driving in and around Des Peres, MO. Sending or receiving a text takes a Des Peres, MO driver’s attention off the road for around 5 seconds. During that time, which, at 55 mph, equates to driving the length of a football field with your eyes closed, a pedestrian could be crossing the street; a light could turn red… so many things could happen. In addition to texting, other causes of Des Peres, MO distracted driving are:
- Adjusting the radio
- Talking to passengers
- Talking on the phone (even with a hands-free device)
- Navigation systems
Driving Under the Influence
Driving under the influence is careless. Approximately 32 people die every day in the U.S. because of a drunk driver, according to the NHTSA. Worse still, these deaths were all preventable. Driving under the influence in Des Peres, MO impedes a person’s decision-making skills and can affect motor reflexes. Other dangers in Des Peres, MO include:
- Difficulty concentrating
- Blurry vision
- Delayed reaction time
- Reduced ability to track moving objects
- Decreased alertness
- Inability to multitask
Failure to Yield the Right of Way
Des Peres, MO pedestrians depend on Des Peres, MO drivers to follow right of way laws. When a driver fails to yield the right of way, a Des Peres, MO pedestrian has little time to react. Failure to yield the right of way commonly causes accidents at intersections, when a driver runs through a traffic device or when they fail to look for pedestrians before making a turn.
Bad weather, darkness, sunlight, or structural obstructions in Des Peres, MO can cause poor visibility for drivers. During these kinds of situations, drivers need to exercise extra caution. Things a Des Peres, MO driver can do to limit the risk of an accident include:
- Reduce driving speed
- Limit distractions
- Make sure safety devices, including headlights, are in working order
- Pay extra attention to hazards and pedestrians
- Allow extra following distance
- Brake at intersections
What is My Des Peres, MO Pedestrian Accident Worth?
While the only way to correctly assess the types of damages in any injury claim is through a careful investigation of the case, our Des Peres, MO pedestrian accident lawyer can assist you in understanding what your case may be worth by gauging:
- The specific circumstances of your Des Peres, MO pedestrian accident
- Who was at fault and if you shared any blame
- The type of injuries sustained and their severity
- Whether you suffered permanent impairment, disability, or disfigurement
- How your injuries affect your quality of life moving forward
- The strength of your negligence case
- The amount of insurance coverage available
What Are Common Des Peres, MO Pedestrian Accident Injuries?
A Des Peres, MO pedestrian is no match for any sort of motor vehicle, no matter the size or scenario. If you have been struck by a car or a truck, or even a golf cart, your well-being is the number one concern. At Missouri Injury Law, our staff of Des Peres, MO pedestrian accident attorneys can help direct you to the care you need and fight for the compensation you and your family are entitled to. Several of these injuries may or may not be obvious at the time of the Des Peres, MO accident. If you notice any symptoms of a serious condition, seek medical attention as soon as possible. And then call a pedestrian accident lawyer at Missouri Injury Law as soon as possible at 636-333-1717 or contact us. Common injuries after a Des Peres, MO pedestrian accident include:
- Brain Injuries
- Difficulty concentrating
- Mood changes
- Changes in sleep patterns
- Spinal Cord Injuries
- Severe neck or back pain
- Numbness or tingling
- Difficulty walking
- Difficulty breathing
- Loss of bowel or bladder control
- Severe neck or back distortion
- Broken Bones
- Cuts, Bruises, and Skin Abrasions
- Mental Health Injuries
Motor vehicle accidents are one of the leading causes of traumatic brain injuries. If you have been in a Des Peres, MO pedestrian accident where you hit your head, you need to look out for any of the following symptoms of TBI, as they can escalate quickly in Des Peres, MO, and turn life-threatening:
Motor vehicle accidents are the number one cause of spinal cord injuries in the U.S. The force of the impact of a Des Peres, MO pedestrian accident can cause severe swelling that could ultimately result in permanent paralysis. Symptoms of a spinal cord injury in Des Peres, MO are:
The human body is not made to sustain the force of a 2,000-plus-pound vehicle. For this reason alone, broken bones are commonplace in Des Peres, MO pedestrian accidents.
Cuts and bruises may seem like minor injuries after a Des Peres, MO pedestrian accident, but they can lead to major complications, including infections.
There is no way to completely know how someone feels in the aftermath of a traumatic Des Peres, MO pedestrian accident. We all deal with feelings and emotions differently. Following a Des Peres, MO pedestrian accident, it is routine to feel rage, sadness, and confusion. If you are having difficulty after a pedestrian accident in Des Peres, MO, do not hesitate to reach out for help. Our pedestrian accident lawyer can put you in touch with the right people. Call us today at 636-333-1717 or contact us in confidence.
How Do I Prove Who Is Liable for My Injuries In a Des Peres, MO Pedestrian Accident?
To prove that a driver was at fault for causing your Des Peres, MO pedestrian accident injuries, your pedestrian accident lawyer near Des Peres, MO, must prove the following:
- The at-fault driver owed you a duty of care to drive their vehicle safely and legally.
- The driver breached their duty of care when they took an action that violated the duty of care.
- This breach of duty resulted in a pedestrian accident that injured you, and your injury caused economic and noneconomic damages.
Your Des Peres, MO Pedestrian Accident Lawyer | Missouri Injury Law Firm
The pedestrian accident lawyers at Missouri Injury Law have dedicated their livelihoods to fighting for Des Peres, MO residents who have been injured as a result of a driver’s carelessness. We are passionate about making sure that you and your family have little to worry about while we fight for complete compensation for your Des Peres, MO injuries and damages. Read what our Des Peres, MO clients feel about our legal representation.