Pedestrian Accident Lawyer Edwardsville, IL
Serving All Missouri Personal Injury VictimsView Full Service Area
Pedestrian Accident Lawyer Edwardsville, IL. As a pedestrian, you should not have to be concerned for your safety doing something as simple as walking on the sidewalk or roadside. In Edwardsville, IL, there are laws in place to protect you, designed to allow pedestrians and motor vehicles to share the same space. Somehow though, several times a day, Edwardsville, IL accidents between motorists and pedestrians continue to happen.
If you or a loved one has been involved in a Edwardsville, IL pedestrian accident, call the Missouri Injury Law Firm immediately at 636-333-1717 or contact us for a no-cost, no-risk consultation. Our Edwardsville, IL pedestrian accident lawyer will meet with you as soon as possible near Edwardsville, IL to discuss your case and protect your interests. If you have suffered injuries and have lost work and wages due to the Edwardsville, IL accident, you deserve an expert pedestrian accident lawyer from Missouri Injury Law standing by your side.
What Are My Rights After a Edwardsville, IL Pedestrian Accident?
If you have been injured in a Edwardsville, IL pedestrian accident, you may have a right to recover damages under state law. In Missouri, accident victims have five years from the date of the incident to file a personal injury suit against the at-fault party. In Illinois, you have two years to file a claim. Following your accident, don’t hesitate to call our Edwardsville, IL professional pedestrian accident attorney at 636-333-1717 or contact us to assist in understanding your rights and helping you fight for the compensation you deserve.
Damages may include, but are not limited to:
- Medical costs — Severe Edwardsville, IL injuries can run up thousands of dollars in medical costs. Covered costs vary from case to case but often include:
- Doctor visits
- Medical devices
- Follow-up care
- Pain and suffering — Edwardsville, IL pedestrian accidents can cause dire physical and emotional pain. When an injury or accident near Edwardsville, IL, generates physical and emotional stress, the law allows you to claim these as damages. Some examples include:
- Loss of enjoyment
- Lost wages — If you sustain a serious injury in Edwardsville, IL, you might not be able to return to work immediately. In the event you can’t return to work, your Edwardsville, IL pedestrian accident lawyer may ask for future wages.
- Wrongful death — Sadly and unfortunately, some Edwardsville, IL pedestrian accidents may be too severe for the survival of a loved one. In this case, you or a family member near Edwardsville, IL, may have a wrongful death case. This kind of claim may include:
- Pain and suffering
- Medical costs
- Lost wages
- Loss of guidance
- Loss of consortium
- Outstanding medical costs
How Common Are Edwardsville, IL Pedestrian Accidents?
According to a recent report from the Governors Highway Safety Association, there were an estimated 7,485 pedestrian deaths in 2021, an increase of 11.5 percent from the previous year. This is the largest number of pedestrian fatalities in four decades. From 2010-2020, pedestrian deaths increased by 54 percent while other traffic deaths combined for an increase of 13 percent.
Along with the GHSA data, the report also studied the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's (NHTSA) Fatality Analysis Reporting System to further review safety trends. The research showed a troubling statistic: The percentage of speeding-related pedestrian deaths among children younger than 15 in has more than doubled since 2018, from 5.8% to 11.9%.
There were 1,341 reported pedestrian accidents in 2021 in Missouri alone, with 1,118 injuries and killing 132 individuals, according to the Missouri State Highway Patrol.
Because of these staggering and unsettling numbers, the NHTSA and the Federal Highway Administration started “Everyone is a Pedestrian” to curb accidents. The organization offers resources, including the following safety tips for Edwardsville, IL pedestrian and drivers:
8 Safety Tips for Edwardsville, IL Drivers
- Look out for Edwardsville, IL pedestrians everywhere, at all times.
- Use extreme caution when driving in hard-to-see situations, such as nighttime or bad weather in Edwardsville, IL.
- Slow down and be prepared to stop when turning or otherwise entering a Edwardsville, IL crosswalk.
- Yield to pedestrians in crosswalks and stop well back from the crosswalk to give other Edwardsville, IL vehicles an opportunity to see the crossing pedestrians so they can stop, too.
- Never pass vehicles stopped at a Edwardsville, IL crosswalk. There may be people crossing where you can’t see.
- Never drive under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs in Edwardsville, IL.
- Follow the speed limit, especially around people on the street, in school zones, and in Edwardsville, IL neighborhoods where children are present.
- Be extra cautious when backing up and look for Edwardsville, IL pedestrians.
8 Safety Tips for Edwardsville, IL Pedestrians
- Follow the rules of the road and obey all signs and signals in Edwardsville, IL.
- Walk on Edwardsville, IL sidewalks whenever they are available.
- If there is no sidewalk, walk facing traffic and as far from traffic as possible.
- Cross streets at crosswalks or intersections in Edwardsville, IL. Look for cars in all directions, including those turning left or right.
- If a crosswalk or intersection is not available, locate an illuminated area where you have the best view of Edwardsville, IL traffic. Wait for a lapse in traffic allowing enough time to cross safely; continue looking for traffic as you cross.
- Look out for Edwardsville, IL vehicles entering or exiting driveways, or reversing in parking lots.
- Stay away from alcohol and drugs when walking in Edwardsville, IL; they impair your abilities and your judgment.
- Embrace walking as a healthy form of transportation in Edwardsville, IL — get up, get out, and get moving.
Call our Edwardsville, IL pedestrian accident lawyer now at 636-333-1717 or contact us for a complimentary, confidential consultation.
What Are the Common Causes of Edwardsville, IL Pedestrian Accidents?
There is no minimizing it, Edwardsville, IL pedestrian accidents are frightening. In addition to the GHSA and NHTSA reports of increasing pedestrian accidents year-to-year, our Edwardsville, IL pedestrian accident lawyers have noticed the injuries becoming more and more severe. The Missouri Injury legal team can help you or your loved one in Edwardsville, IL receive the compensation you are due under the law. Common causes of Edwardsville, IL pedestrian accidents include:
Speeding is dangerous. But, it is one of the most common reckless behaviors drivers participate in on the road in and around Edwardsville, IL. On average, speeding contributes to approximately 30 percent of annual U.S. traffic fatalities. Under normal speeds, a collision with a pedestrian can be catastrophic. When a Edwardsville, IL motor vehicle is speeding, the results can be deadly. Not only does speeding increase the risk of injury or death in Edwardsville, IL, it increases the chance of an accident happening at all. A speeding vehicle needs more time to stop. The Edwardsville, IL driver also has less time to react. By the time a Edwardsville, IL pedestrian realizes a speeding driver is approaching, they may have little time to react.
We all have seen the warnings about texting and driving in and around Edwardsville, IL. Sending or receiving a text takes a Edwardsville, IL driver’s attention off the road for approximately 5 seconds. During that time, which, at 55 mph, equates to driving the length of a football field with your eyes closed, a pedestrian could be crossing the street; a light could turn red… so many things could happen. Along with texting, other causes of Edwardsville, IL distracted driving include:
- Adjusting the radio
- Talking to passengers
- Talking on the phone (even with a hands-free device)
- Navigation systems
Driving Under the Influence
Driving under the influence is reckless. Approximately 32 people die each day in the U.S. because of a drunk driver, according to the NHTSA. Worst of all, these deaths were all preventable. Driving under the influence in Edwardsville, IL impedes an individual’s decision-making skills and can affect motor reflexes. Other dangers in Edwardsville, IL are:
- Difficulty concentrating
- Blurry vision
- Delayed reaction time
- Reduced ability to track moving objects
- Decreased alertness
- Inability to multitask
Failure to Yield the Right of Way
Edwardsville, IL pedestrians depend on Edwardsville, IL drivers to obey right of way laws. When a driver fails to yield the right of way, a Edwardsville, IL pedestrian has little time to act. Failure to yield the right of way commonly causes accidents at intersections, when a driver runs through a traffic device or when they fail to look for pedestrians before making a turn.
Bad weather, darkness, sunlight, or structural obstructions in Edwardsville, IL can create poor visibility for drivers. During these kinds of scenarios, drivers need to use extreme caution. Things a Edwardsville, IL driver can do to lessen the risk of an accident include:
- Reduce driving speed
- Limit distractions
- Ensure safety devices, including headlights, are in working order
- Pay extra attention to hazards and pedestrians
- Allow extra following distance
- Yield at intersections
Call our Edwardsville, IL pedestrian accident lawyer today at 636-333-1717 or contact us for a complimentary, confidential case review.
What is My Edwardsville, IL Pedestrian Accident Worth?
While the only way to correctly evaluate the kinds of damages in any injury claim is through a careful investigation of the case, our Edwardsville, IL pedestrian accident lawyer can assist you in understanding what your case might be worth by assessing:
- The specific circumstances of your Edwardsville, IL pedestrian accident
- Who was at fault and if you shared any blame
- The kind of injuries sustained and their severity
- Whether you suffered permanent impairment, disability, or disfigurement
- How your injuries affect your quality of life moving forward
- The strength of your negligence case
- The amount of insurance coverage available
What Are Common Edwardsville, IL Pedestrian Accident Injuries?
A Edwardsville, IL pedestrian is no match for any sort of motor vehicle, no matter the size or scenario. If you have been hit by a car or a truck, or even a golf cart, your safety is the main priority. At Missouri Injury Law, our staff of Edwardsville, IL pedestrian accident attorneys can help introduce you to the care you need and fight for the compensation you and your family deserve. Some of these injuries may or may not be apparent at the time of the Edwardsville, IL accident. If you show any symptoms of a serious condition, seek medical attention right away. And then phone a pedestrian accident lawyer at Missouri Injury Law as soon as possible at 636-333-1717 or contact us. Common injuries after a Edwardsville, IL pedestrian accident are:
- Brain Injuries
- Difficulty concentrating
- Mood changes
- Changes in sleep patterns
- Spinal Cord Injuries
- Severe neck or back pain
- Numbness or tingling
- Difficulty walking
- Difficulty breathing
- Loss of bowel or bladder control
- Extreme neck or back distortion
- Broken Bones
- Cuts, Bruises, and Skin Abrasions
- Mental Health Injuries
Motor vehicle accidents are one of the leading causes of traumatic brain injuries. If you have been in a Edwardsville, IL pedestrian accident where you bumped your head, you need to watch for any of the following symptoms of TBI, as they can escalate quickly in Edwardsville, IL, and turn life-threatening:
Motor vehicle accidents are the number one cause of spinal cord injuries in the U.S. The severity of a collision from a Edwardsville, IL pedestrian accident can cause severe swelling that could eventually result in permanent paralysis. Symptoms of a spinal cord injury in Edwardsville, IL are:
The human body is not designed to withstand the force of a 2,000-plus-pound vehicle. For this reason alone, broken bones are commonplace in Edwardsville, IL pedestrian accidents.
Cuts and bruises may seem relatively minor after a Edwardsville, IL pedestrian accident, but they can lead to serious complications, including infections.
There is no way to completely understand how someone feels in the aftermath of a traumatic Edwardsville, IL pedestrian accident. We all experience feelings and emotions differently. After a Edwardsville, IL pedestrian accident, it is routine to feel intense anger, sadness, and confusion. If you are having difficulty after a pedestrian accident in Edwardsville, IL, don’t hesitate to reach out for help. Our pedestrian accident lawyer can put you in contact with the right people. Give us a call today at 636-333-1717 or contact us in confidence.
How Do I Prove Who Is Liable for My Injuries In a Edwardsville, IL Pedestrian Accident?
To prove that a driver was at fault for causing your Edwardsville, IL pedestrian accident injuries, your pedestrian accident lawyer near Edwardsville, IL, must show the following:
- The at-fault driver owed you a duty of care to drive their vehicle safely and legally.
- The driver breached their duty of care when they took an action that violated the duty of care.
- This breach of duty resulted in a pedestrian accident that injured you, and your injury caused economic and noneconomic damages.
Your Edwardsville, IL Pedestrian Accident Lawyer | Missouri Injury Law Firm
The pedestrian accident lawyers at Missouri Injury Law have devoted their livelihoods to fighting for Edwardsville, IL residents who have been injured as a result of a driver’s recklessness. We care about guaranteeing that you and your family have little to worry about while we fight for maximum compensation for your Edwardsville, IL injuries and damages. See what our Edwardsville, IL clients have to say about our legal representation.
Call one of our Edwardsville, IL pedestrian accident attorneys at Missouri Injury Law now at 636-333-1717 or contact us online for a free and no-risk consultation near Edwardsville, IL.