Pedestrian Accident Lawyer Ellisville, MO
Serving All Missouri Personal Injury VictimsView Full Service Area
Pedestrian Accident Lawyer Ellisville, MO. As a pedestrian, you should not have to fear for your safety doing something as simple as walking on the sidewalk or roadside. In Ellisville, MO, there are laws in place to protect you, designed to allow pedestrians and motor vehicles to share the same space. Somehow though, several times a day, Ellisville, MO accidents between motorists and pedestrians continue to occur.
If you or someone you love has been involved in a Ellisville, MO pedestrian accident, call the Missouri Injury Law Firm immediately at 636-333-1717 or reach out to us for a complimentary, confidential consultation. Our Ellisville, MO pedestrian accident lawyer will meet with you as soon as possible near Ellisville, MO to discuss your case and protect your interests. If you have suffered injuries and have lost work and wages due to the Ellisville, MO accident, you need an expert pedestrian accident lawyer from Missouri Injury Law fighting in your corner.
What Are My Rights After a Ellisville, MO Pedestrian Accident?
If you have been injured in a Ellisville, MO pedestrian accident, you may have a right to recover damages under state law. In Missouri, accident victims have five years from the date of the accident to file a personal injury claim against the at-fault party. In Illinois, you have two years to file a claim. Following your accident, don’t hesitate to call our Ellisville, MO professional pedestrian accident attorney at 636-333-1717 or contact us to help you understand your rights and assist you in fighting for the compensation you are entitled to.
Damages may include, but are not limited to:
- Medical costs — Serious Ellisville, MO injuries can incur thousands of dollars in medical costs. Covered costs vary from case to case but frequently include:
- Doctor visits
- Medical devices
- Follow-up care
- Pain and suffering — Ellisville, MO pedestrian accidents can create dire physical and emotional pain. When an injury or accident near Ellisville, MO, generates physical and emotional stress, the law allows you to claim these as damages. Some examples include:
- Loss of enjoyment
- Lost wages — If you sustain a serious injury in Ellisville, MO, you may not be able to return to your job immediately. In the event you can’t return to work, your Ellisville, MO pedestrian accident lawyer may request future wages.
- Wrongful death — Sadly and unfortunately, some Ellisville, MO pedestrian accidents may be too severe for your loved one. In such a case, you or a family member near Ellisville, MO, may have a wrongful death claim. This kind of claim may include:
- Pain and suffering
- Medical costs
- Lost wages
- Loss of guidance
- Loss of consortium
- Outstanding medical costs
How Common Are Ellisville, MO Pedestrian Accidents?
According to a recent report from the Governors Highway Safety Association, there were an estimated 7,485 pedestrian deaths in 2021, an increase of 11.5 percent from the previous year. This is the largest number of pedestrian fatalities in four decades. From 2010-2020, pedestrian deaths increased by 54 percent while other traffic deaths combined for an increase of 13 percent.
In addition to the GHSA data, the report also studied the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's (NHTSA) Fatality Analysis Reporting System to further review safety trends. The research showed a troubling statistic: The percentage of speeding-related pedestrian deaths among children younger than 15 in has more than doubled since 2018, from 5.8% to 11.9%.
There were 1,341 reported pedestrian accidents in 2021 in Missouri alone, injuring 1,118 and 132 deaths, via the Missouri State Highway Patrol.
Because of these staggering and unsettling statistics, the NHTSA and the Federal Highway Administration started “Everyone is a Pedestrian” to curb accidents. The organization offers resources, including these safety tips for Ellisville, MO pedestrian and drivers:
8 Safety Tips for Ellisville, MO Drivers
- Look out for Ellisville, MO pedestrians everywhere, at all times.
- Use extreme caution when driving in hard-to-see situations, like nighttime or bad weather in Ellisville, MO.
- Slow down and be ready to stop when turning or otherwise entering a Ellisville, MO crosswalk.
- Yield to pedestrians in crosswalks and stop well back from the crosswalk to give other Ellisville, MO vehicles an opportunity to see the crossing pedestrians so they can stop, too.
- Never pass vehicles stopped at a Ellisville, MO crosswalk. There could be individuals crossing where you can’t see.
- Never drive under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs in Ellisville, MO.
- Follow the speed limit, especially around people on the street, in school zones, and in Ellisville, MO neighborhoods where children are present.
- Be extra cautious when backing up and look for Ellisville, MO pedestrians.
8 Safety Tips for Ellisville, MO Pedestrians
- Follow the rules of the road and obey all signs and signals in Ellisville, MO.
- Walk on Ellisville, MO sidewalks whenever they are available.
- If there is no sidewalk, walk facing traffic and as far from traffic as possible.
- Cross streets at crosswalks or intersections in Ellisville, MO. Look for cars in all directions, including those turning left or right.
- If there is no crosswalk or intersection, locate a well-lit area where you have the best view of Ellisville, MO traffic. Wait for a lapse in traffic that allows sufficient time to cross safely; continue looking for traffic as you cross.
- Look out for Ellisville, MO cars entering or exiting driveways, or backing up in parking lots.
- Stay away from alcohol and drugs when walking in Ellisville, MO; they impair your abilities and your judgment.
- Embrace walking as a healthy form of transportation in Ellisville, MO — get up, get out, and get moving.
Call our Ellisville, MO pedestrian accident lawyer today at 636-333-1717 or contact us for a no-cost, no-risk case review.
What Are the Common Causes of Ellisville, MO Pedestrian Accidents?
There is no sugarcoating it, Ellisville, MO pedestrian accidents are scary. In addition to the GHSA and NHTSA reports of increasing pedestrian accidents year-to-year, our Ellisville, MO pedestrian accident lawyers have noticed the injuries becoming more and more severe. The Missouri Injury legal team can help you or your loved one in Ellisville, MO receive the compensation you are due under the law. Common causes of Ellisville, MO pedestrian accidents are:
Speeding is dangerous. But, it is one of the most common reckless behaviors drivers participate in on the road in and around Ellisville, MO. On average, speeding contributes to almost 30 percent of U.S. traffic fatalities annually. Under normal speeds, a collision with a pedestrian can be catastrophic. When a Ellisville, MO driver is speeding, the results can be deadly. Not only does speeding increase the risk of injury or death in Ellisville, MO, it increases the chance of an accident happening at all. A speeding vehicle needs more time to stop. The Ellisville, MO driver also has less time to act. By the time a Ellisville, MO pedestrian notices a speeding driver is approaching, they essentially have little time to react.
We all have seen the warnings about texting and driving in and around Ellisville, MO. Sending or receiving a text takes a Ellisville, MO driver’s attention off the road for around 5 seconds. During that time, which, at 55 mph, equates to driving the length of a football field with your eyes closed, a pedestrian could be crossing the street; a light could turn red… so many things could happen. Along with texting, other causes of Ellisville, MO distracted driving are:
- Adjusting the radio
- Talking to passengers
- Talking on the phone (even with a hands-free device)
- Navigation systems
Driving Under the Influence
Driving under the influence is careless. Approximately 32 people die every day in the U.S. because of a drunk driver, according to the NHTSA. Worse still, these deaths were all preventable. Driving under the influence in Ellisville, MO impedes a person’s decision-making skills and can affect motor reflexes. Other dangers in Ellisville, MO include:
- Difficulty concentrating
- Blurry vision
- Delayed reaction time
- Reduced ability to track moving objects
- Decreased alertness
- Inability to multitask
Failure to Yield the Right of Way
Ellisville, MO pedestrians depend on Ellisville, MO drivers to follow right of way laws. When a driver fails to yield the right of way, a Ellisville, MO pedestrian has little time to act. Accidents at intersections, when a driver runs through a traffic device or when they fail to look for pedestrians before making a turn, are commonplace failures to yield the right of way.
Bad weather, darkness, sunlight, or structural obstructions in Ellisville, MO can create poor visibility for drivers. During these types of situations, drivers need to exercise extra caution. Things a Ellisville, MO driver can do to lessen the risk of an accident include:
- Reduce driving speed
- Limit distractions
- Ensure safety devices, including headlights, are in working order
- Pay extra attention to hazards and pedestrians
- Allow extra following distance
- Slow at intersections
Call our Ellisville, MO pedestrian accident lawyer today at 636-333-1717 or reach out to us for a complimentary, confidential case review.
What is My Ellisville, MO Pedestrian Accident Worth?
While the only way to correctly evaluate the kinds of damages in any injury claim is through a diligent investigation of the case, our Ellisville, MO pedestrian accident lawyer can assist you in understanding what your case might be worth by assessing:
- The particular circumstances of your Ellisville, MO pedestrian accident
- Who was at fault and if you shared any blame
- The type of injuries sustained and their severity
- Whether you suffered permanent impairment, disability, or disfigurement
- How your injuries affect your quality of life moving forward
- The strength of your negligence case
- The amount of insurance coverage available
What Are Common Ellisville, MO Pedestrian Accident Injuries?
A Ellisville, MO pedestrian is no match for any type of motor vehicle, no matter the size or scenario. If you have been struck by a car or a truck, or even a golf cart, your safety is the main concern. At Missouri Injury Law, our staff of Ellisville, MO pedestrian accident attorneys can help introduce you to the care you need and fight for the compensation you and your loved ones deserve. Some of these injuries may or may not be apparent at the time of the Ellisville, MO accident. If you notice any symptoms of a significant condition, seek medical attention immediately. And then phone a pedestrian accident lawyer at Missouri Injury Law as soon as possible at 636-333-1717 or contact us. Common injuries after a Ellisville, MO pedestrian accident are:
- Brain Injuries
- Difficulty concentrating
- Mood changes
- Changes in sleep patterns
- Spinal Cord Injuries
- Severe neck or back pain
- Numbness or tingling
- Difficulty walking
- Difficulty breathing
- Loss of bowel or bladder control
- Extreme neck or back distortion
- Broken Bones
- Cuts, Bruises, and Skin Abrasions
- Mental Health Injuries
Motor vehicle accidents are one of the leading causes of traumatic brain injuries. If you have been in a Ellisville, MO pedestrian accident where you bumped your head, you need to look out for any of the following symptoms of TBI, as they can escalate quickly in Ellisville, MO, and become life-threatening:
Motor vehicle accidents are the number one cause of spinal cord injuries in the U.S. The severity of a collision from a Ellisville, MO pedestrian accident can cause serious swelling that can eventually result in permanent paralysis. Symptoms of a spinal cord injury in Ellisville, MO include:
The human body is not designed to sustain the force of a 2,000-plus-pound vehicle. For this reason alone, broken bones are commonplace in Ellisville, MO pedestrian accidents.
Cuts and bruises may seem like minor injuries after a Ellisville, MO pedestrian accident, but they can lead to serious complications, including infections.
There is no way to truly know how someone feels after a traumatic Ellisville, MO pedestrian accident. We all experience feelings and emotions differently. Following a Ellisville, MO pedestrian accident, it is normal to feel intense anger, sadness, and confusion. If you are having a hard time after a pedestrian accident in Ellisville, MO, don’t hesitate reaching out for help. Our pedestrian accident lawyer can put you in touch with the right people. Give us a call today at 636-333-1717 or contact us in confidence.
How Do I Prove Who Is Liable for My Injuries In a Ellisville, MO Pedestrian Accident?
To prove that a driver was at fault for causing your Ellisville, MO pedestrian accident injuries, your pedestrian accident lawyer near Ellisville, MO, must show the following:
- The at-fault driver owed you a duty of care to drive their vehicle safely and legally.
- The driver breached their duty of care when they took an action that violated the duty of care.
- This breach of duty resulted in a pedestrian accident that injured you, and your injury caused economic and noneconomic damages.
Your Ellisville, MO Pedestrian Accident Lawyer | Missouri Injury Law Firm
The pedestrian accident lawyers at Missouri Injury Law have devoted their careers to fighting for Ellisville, MO residents who have been injured as a result of a driver’s recklessness. We care about guaranteeing that you and your family are stress free while we fight for maximum compensation for your Ellisville, MO injuries and damages. See what our Ellisville, MO clients have to say about our legal representation.
Call one of our Ellisville, MO pedestrian accident lawyers at Missouri Injury Law now at 636-333-1717 or reach out to us online for a free and confidential case review near Ellisville, MO.