Pedestrian Accident Lawyer Ferguson, MO
Serving All Missouri Personal Injury VictimsView Full Service Area
Pedestrian Accident Lawyer Ferguson, MO. As a pedestrian, you should never have to fear for your safety simply walking on the sidewalk or roadside. In Ferguson, MO, there are laws in place to protect you, designed to allow pedestrians and motor vehicles to share the same space. Somehow though, day after day, Ferguson, MO accidents between motorists and pedestrians continue to happen.
If you or someone you love has been injured in a Ferguson, MO pedestrian accident, call the Missouri Injury Law Firm immediately at 636-333-1717 or reach out to us for a complimentary, confidential consultation. Our Ferguson, MO pedestrian accident lawyer will meet with you as soon as possible near Ferguson, MO to discuss your case and protect your interests. If you have sustained injuries and have lost work and wages due to the Ferguson, MO accident, you deserve an expert pedestrian accident lawyer from Missouri Injury Law fighting in your corner.
What Are My Rights Following a Ferguson, MO Pedestrian Accident?
If you’ve been injured in a Ferguson, MO pedestrian accident, you may have a right to recover damages under state law. In Missouri, accident victims have five years from the date of the incident to file a personal injury suit against the at-fault party. In Illinois, you have two years to file a claim. After your accident, be sure to call our Ferguson, MO skilled pedestrian accident lawyer at 636-333-1717 or reach out to us to help you understand your rights and assist you in fighting for the compensation you are entitled to.
Damages may include, but are not limited to:
- Medical costs — Severe Ferguson, MO injuries can incur thousands of dollars in medical costs. Covered costs differ from case to case but often include:
- Doctor visits
- Medical devices
- Follow-up care
- Pain and suffering — Ferguson, MO pedestrian accidents can create serious physical and emotional pain. When an injury or accident near Ferguson, MO, generates physical and emotional stress, the law allows you to claim these as damages. Some examples include:
- Loss of enjoyment
- Lost wages — If you suffer a serious injury in Ferguson, MO, you may not be able to return to work immediately. In the event you can’t get back to work, your Ferguson, MO pedestrian accident lawyer may request future wages.
- Wrongful death — Sadly and unfortunately, some Ferguson, MO pedestrian accidents may be too severe for the survival of a loved one. In such a case, you or a family member near Ferguson, MO, may have a wrongful death claim. This kind of claim may include:
- Pain and suffering
- Medical costs
- Lost wages
- Loss of guidance
- Loss of consortium
- Outstanding medical costs
How Common Are Ferguson, MO Pedestrian Accidents?
According to a recent report from the Governors Highway Safety Association, there were an estimated 7,485 pedestrian deaths in 2021, an increase of 11.5 percent from the previous year. This is the largest number of pedestrian fatalities in four decades. From 2010-2020, pedestrian deaths increased by 54 percent while other traffic deaths combined for an increase of 13 percent.
Alongside the GHSA data, the report also analyzed the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's (NHTSA) Fatality Analysis Reporting System to further review safety trends. The analysis showed a troubling statistic: The percentage of speeding-related pedestrian deaths among children younger than 15 in has more than doubled since 2018, from 5.8% to 11.9%.
There were 1,341 reported pedestrian accidents in 2021 in Missouri alone, injuring 1,118 and 132 deaths, according to the Missouri State Highway Patrol.
Due to these staggering and unsettling statistics, the NHTSA and the Federal Highway Administration launched “Everyone is a Pedestrian” to curb accidents. The initiative provides resources, including the following safety tips for Ferguson, MO pedestrian and drivers:
8 Safety Tips for Ferguson, MO Drivers
- Look out for Ferguson, MO pedestrians everywhere, at all times.
- Use extra caution when driving in hard-to-see situations, like nighttime or bad weather in Ferguson, MO.
- Slow down and be prepared to stop when turning or otherwise entering a Ferguson, MO crosswalk.
- Yield to pedestrians in crosswalks and stop well back from the crosswalk to give other Ferguson, MO vehicles an opportunity to see the crossing pedestrians so they can stop, too.
- Never pass vehicles stopped at a Ferguson, MO crosswalk. There might be individuals crossing where you can’t see.
- Never drive under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs in Ferguson, MO.
- Follow the speed limit, especially around people on the street, in school zones, and in Ferguson, MO neighborhoods where children are present.
- Be extra cautious when backing up and be on the look out for Ferguson, MO pedestrians.
8 Safety Tips for Ferguson, MO Pedestrians
- Follow the rules of the road and obey all of the signs and signals in Ferguson, MO.
- Walk on Ferguson, MO sidewalks whenever they are available.
- If there is no sidewalk, walk facing traffic and as far from traffic as possible.
- Cross streets at crosswalks or intersections in Ferguson, MO. Look for cars in all directions, including those turning left or right.
- If there is no crosswalk or intersection, find a well-lit area where you have the best view of Ferguson, MO traffic. Wait for a lapse in traffic that allows sufficient time to cross safely; keep watching for traffic as you cross.
- Look out for Ferguson, MO vehicles entering or exiting driveways, or reversing in parking lots.
- Stay away from alcohol and drugs when walking in Ferguson, MO; they impair your abilities and your judgment.
- Welcome walking as a healthy form of transportation in Ferguson, MO — get up, get out, and get moving.
What Are the Common Causes of Ferguson, MO Pedestrian Accidents?
There is no minimizing it, Ferguson, MO pedestrian accidents are frightening. In addition to the GHSA and NHTSA reports of increased pedestrian accidents year-to-year, our Ferguson, MO pedestrian accident attorneys have noticed the injuries becoming more and more severe. The Missouri Injury legal team can help you or your loved one in Ferguson, MO receive the compensation you are entitled to under the law. Common causes of Ferguson, MO pedestrian accidents include:
Speeding is dangerous. However, it is one of the most common reckless behaviors drivers participate in on the road in and around Ferguson, MO. On average, speeding contributes to almost 30 percent of U.S. traffic fatalities annually. Under normal speeds, a collision with a pedestrian can be catastrophic. When a Ferguson, MO vehicle is speeding, the results can be deadly. Not only does speeding increase the risk of injury or death in Ferguson, MO, it increases the chance of an accident occurring at all. A speeding vehicle takes longer to stop. The Ferguson, MO driver also has less time to act. By the time a Ferguson, MO pedestrian notices a speeding driver is getting close, they essentially have little time to react.
We all have heard the warnings about texting and driving in and around Ferguson, MO. Sending or receiving a text takes a Ferguson, MO driver’s attention off the road for approximately 5 seconds. In that amount of time, which, at 55 mph, equates to driving the length of a football field with your eyes closed, a pedestrian could be crossing the street; a light could turn red… so many things could happen. In addition to texting, other causes of Ferguson, MO distracted driving include:
- Adjusting the radio
- Talking to passengers
- Talking on the phone (even with a hands-free device)
- Navigation systems
Driving Under the Influence
Driving under the influence is careless. Approximately 32 people die each day in the U.S. because of a drunk driver, according to the NHTSA. Worst of all, these deaths were all preventable. Driving under the influence in Ferguson, MO impairs a person’s decision-making skills and can affect motor reflexes. Other dangers in Ferguson, MO are:
- Difficulty concentrating
- Blurry vision
- Delayed reaction time
- Reduced ability to track moving objects
- Decreased alertness
- Inability to multitask
Failure to Yield the Right of Way
Ferguson, MO pedestrians depend on Ferguson, MO drivers to obey right of way laws. When a driver fails to yield the right of way, a Ferguson, MO pedestrian has little time to act. Accidents at intersections, when a driver runs through a traffic device or when they fail to look for pedestrians before making a turn, are commonplace failures to yield the right of way.
Bad weather, darkness, sunlight, or structural obstructions in Ferguson, MO can cause poor visibility for drivers. During these kinds of scenarios, drivers need to exercise extreme caution. Things a Ferguson, MO driver can do to limit the risk of an accident include:
- Reduce driving speed
- Limit distractions
- Ensure safety devices, including headlights, are in working order
- Pay extra attention to hazards and pedestrians
- Allow extra following distance
- Yield at intersections
What is My Ferguson, MO Pedestrian Accident Worth?
While the only way to correctly evaluate the types of damages in any injury claim is through an intricate investigation of the case, our Ferguson, MO pedestrian accident lawyer can assist you in understanding what your case may be worth by gauging:
- The particular circumstances of your Ferguson, MO pedestrian accident
- Who was at fault and if you shared any blame
- The type of injuries sustained and their severity
- Whether you suffered permanent impairment, disability, or disfigurement
- How your injuries affect your quality of life moving forward
- The strength of your negligence case
- The amount of insurance coverage available
What Are Common Ferguson, MO Pedestrian Accident Injuries?
A Ferguson, MO pedestrian is no match for any kind of motor vehicle, no matter the size or situation. If you have been hit by a car or a truck, or even a golf cart, your safety is the number one priority. At Missouri Injury Law, our team of Ferguson, MO pedestrian accident attorneys can help introduce you to the care you need and fight for the compensation you and your loved ones are entitled to. Some of these injuries may or may not be obvious at the time of the Ferguson, MO accident. If you experience any symptoms of a serious condition, seek medical attention immediately. And then phone a pedestrian accident lawyer at Missouri Injury Law immediately at 636-333-1717 or contact us. Common injuries after a Ferguson, MO pedestrian accident include:
- Brain Injuries
- Difficulty concentrating
- Mood changes
- Changes in sleep patterns
- Spinal Cord Injuries
- Severe neck or back pain
- Numbness or tingling
- Difficulty walking
- Difficulty breathing
- Loss of bowel or bladder control
- Extreme neck or back distortion
- Broken Bones
- Cuts, Bruises, and Skin Abrasions
- Mental Health Injuries
Motor vehicle accidents are one of the leading causes of traumatic brain injuries. If you have been in a Ferguson, MO pedestrian accident where you bumped your head, you need to watch for any of the following symptoms of TBI, as they can escalate quickly in Ferguson, MO, and become life-threatening:
Motor vehicle accidents are the number one cause of spinal cord injuries in the U.S. The force of the impact of a Ferguson, MO pedestrian accident can cause serious swelling that could eventually result in permanent paralysis. Symptoms of a spinal cord injury in Ferguson, MO include:
The human body is not designed to sustain the force of a 2,000-plus-pound vehicle. For this reason alone, broken bones are commonplace in Ferguson, MO pedestrian accidents.
Cuts and bruises may seem relatively minor after a Ferguson, MO pedestrian accident, but they can lead to serious complications, including infections.
There is no way to completely understand how someone feels after a traumatic Ferguson, MO pedestrian accident. We all deal with feelings and emotions differently. After a Ferguson, MO pedestrian accident, it is routine to feel rage, sadness, and confusion. If you are having a hard time after a pedestrian accident in Ferguson, MO, do not hesitate to reach out for help. Our pedestrian accident lawyer can put you in contact with the right people. Call us today at 636-333-1717 or contact us in confidence.
How Do I Prove Who Is Liable for My Injuries In a Ferguson, MO Pedestrian Accident?
To prove that a driver was at fault for causing your Ferguson, MO pedestrian accident injuries, your pedestrian accident lawyer near Ferguson, MO, must prove the following:
- The at-fault driver owed you a duty of care to drive their vehicle safely and legally.
- The driver breached their duty of care when they took an action that violated the duty of care.
- This breach of duty resulted in a pedestrian accident that injured you, and your injury caused economic and noneconomic damages.
Your Ferguson, MO Pedestrian Accident Lawyer | Missouri Injury Law Firm
The pedestrian accident lawyers at Missouri Injury Law have devoted their careers to fighting for Ferguson, MO residents who have been injured due to a driver’s carelessness. We care about making sure that you and your family have little to worry about while we fight for complete compensation for your Ferguson, MO injuries and damages. See what our Ferguson, MO clients feel about our legal representation.