Pedestrian Accident Lawyer Festus, MO
Serving All Missouri Personal Injury VictimsView Full Service Area
Pedestrian Accident Lawyer Festus, MO. As a pedestrian, you should not have to be concerned for your safety doing something as simple as strolling down the sidewalk or roadside. In Festus, MO, there are laws in place to protect you, designed to allow pedestrians and motor vehicles to share the same space. Somehow though, day after day, Festus, MO accidents between motorists and pedestrians still occur.
If you or a loved one has been injured in a Festus, MO pedestrian accident, call the Missouri Injury Law Firm immediately at 636-333-1717 or contact us for a no-cost, no-risk consultation. Our Festus, MO pedestrian accident lawyer will meet with you as soon as possible near Festus, MO to discuss your case and protect your interests. If you have suffered injuries and have lost work and wages because of the Festus, MO accident, you deserve an expert pedestrian accident lawyer from Missouri Injury Law standing by your side.
What Are My Rights After a Festus, MO Pedestrian Accident?
If you’ve been injured in a Festus, MO pedestrian accident, you may be able to recover damages under state law. In Missouri, accident victims have five years from the date of the incident to file a personal injury claim against the at-fault party. In Illinois, you have two years to file a claim. After your accident, don’t wait to call our Festus, MO skilled pedestrian accident lawyer at 636-333-1717 or contact us to help you understand your rights and assist you in fighting for the compensation you are entitled to.
Damages may include, but are not limited to:
- Medical costs — Serious Festus, MO injuries can incur thousands of dollars in medical costs. Covered costs differ from case to case but frequently include:
- Doctor visits
- Medical devices
- Follow-up care
- Pain and suffering — Festus, MO pedestrian accidents can create dire physical and emotional pain. When an injury or accident near Festus, MO, causes you physical and emotional stress, the law allows you to claim these as damages. Some examples are:
- Loss of enjoyment
- Lost wages — If you sustain a serious injury in Festus, MO, you may not be able to return to your job immediately. In the event you can’t return to work, your Festus, MO pedestrian accident lawyer may request future wages.
- Wrongful death — Sadly and unfortunately, some Festus, MO pedestrian accidents may be too severe for your loved one. In this case, you or a family member near Festus, MO, may have a wrongful death claim. This type of claim may include:
- Pain and suffering
- Medical costs
- Lost wages
- Loss of guidance
- Loss of consortium
- Outstanding medical costs
How Common Are Festus, MO Pedestrian Accidents?
According to a recent report from the Governors Highway Safety Association, there were an estimated 7,485 pedestrian deaths in 2021, an increase of 11.5 percent from the previous year. This is the largest number of pedestrian fatalities in four decades. From 2010-2020, pedestrian deaths increased by 54 percent while other traffic deaths combined for an increase of 13 percent.
Along with the GHSA data, the report also analyzed the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's (NHTSA) Fatality Analysis Reporting System to further review safety trends. The research revealed a troubling statistic: The percentage of speeding-related pedestrian deaths among children younger than 15 in has more than doubled since 2018, from 5.8% to 11.9%.
There were 1,341 reported pedestrian accidents in 2021 in Missouri alone, injuring 1,118 and killing 132 individuals, according to the Missouri State Highway Patrol.
Due to these staggering and unsettling statistics, the NHTSA and the Federal Highway Administration started “Everyone is a Pedestrian” to curb accidents. The organization provides resources, including the following safety tips for Festus, MO pedestrian and drivers:
8 Safety Tips for Festus, MO Drivers
- Look out for Festus, MO pedestrians everywhere, at all times.
- Use extra caution when driving in hard-to-see situations, like nighttime or bad weather in Festus, MO.
- Slow down and be prepared to stop when turning or otherwise entering a Festus, MO crosswalk.
- Yield to pedestrians in crosswalks and stop well back from the crosswalk to give other Festus, MO vehicles an opportunity to see the crossing pedestrians so they can stop, too.
- Never pass vehicles stopped at a Festus, MO crosswalk. There might be people crossing where you can’t see.
- Never drive under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs in Festus, MO.
- Follow the speed limit, especially around people on the street, in school zones, and in Festus, MO neighborhoods where children are present.
- Be extra cautious when backing up and be on the look out for Festus, MO pedestrians.
8 Safety Tips for Festus, MO Pedestrians
- Follow the rules of the road and obey all signs and signals in Festus, MO.
- Walk on Festus, MO sidewalks whenever they are available.
- If there is no sidewalk, walk facing traffic and as far from traffic as possible.
- Cross streets at crosswalks or intersections in Festus, MO. Look for cars in all directions, including those turning left or right.
- If there is no crosswalk or intersection, find an illuminated area where you have the best view of Festus, MO traffic. Wait for a gap in traffic allowing enough time to cross safely; continue looking for traffic as you cross.
- Watch for Festus, MO vehicles entering or exiting driveways, or backing up in parking lots.
- Stay away from alcohol and drugs when walking in Festus, MO; they impair your abilities and your judgment.
- Embrace walking as a healthy form of transportation in Festus, MO — get up, get out, and get moving.
What Are the Common Causes of Festus, MO Pedestrian Accidents?
There is no minimizing it, Festus, MO pedestrian accidents are scary. In addition to the GHSA and NHTSA reports of increasing annual pedestrian accidents, our Festus, MO pedestrian accident attorneys have noticed a rise in the severity of the injuries. The Missouri Injury legal team can help you or your loved one in Festus, MO receive the compensation you are due under the law. Common causes of Festus, MO pedestrian accidents are:
Speeding is dangerous. Yet, it is one of the most common reckless behaviors drivers participate in on the road in and around Festus, MO. On average, speeding contributes to approximately 30 percent of U.S. traffic fatalities annually. Under normal speeds, a collision with a pedestrian can be catastrophic. When a Festus, MO vehicle is speeding, the results can be deadly. Not only does speeding increase the risk of injury or death in Festus, MO, it increases the chance of an accident happening at all. A speeding vehicle takes longer to stop. The Festus, MO driver also has less time to react. By the time a Festus, MO pedestrian recognizes a speeding driver is getting close, they essentially have little time to react.
We all have seen the warnings about texting and driving in and around Festus, MO. Sending or receiving a text takes a Festus, MO driver’s attention off the road for around 5 seconds. In that amount of time, which, at 55 mph, equates to driving the length of a football field with your eyes closed, a pedestrian could be crossing the street; a light could turn red… so many things could happen. In addition to texting, other causes of Festus, MO distracted driving include:
- Adjusting the radio
- Talking to passengers
- Talking on the phone (even with a hands-free device)
- Navigation systems
Driving Under the Influence
Driving under the influence is careless. Approximately 32 people die every day in the U.S. because of a drunk driver, according to the NHTSA. Worst of all, these deaths were all preventable. Driving under the influence in Festus, MO hinders a person’s decision-making skills and can affect motor reflexes. Other dangers in Festus, MO include:
- Difficulty concentrating
- Blurry vision
- Delayed reaction time
- Reduced ability to track moving objects
- Decreased alertness
- Inability to multitask
Failure to Yield the Right of Way
Festus, MO pedestrians depend on Festus, MO drivers to obey right of way laws. When a driver fails to yield the right of way, a Festus, MO pedestrian has little time to react. Accidents at intersections, when a driver runs through a traffic device or when they fail to look for pedestrians before making a turn, are commonplace failures to yield the right of way.
Bad weather, darkness, sunlight, or structural obstructions in Festus, MO can create poor visibility for drivers. During these types of scenarios, drivers need to exercise extreme caution. Things a Festus, MO driver can do to lessen the risk of an accident include:
- Reduce driving speed
- Limit distractions
- Make sure safety devices, including headlights, are in working order
- Pay extra attention to hazards and pedestrians
- Allow extra following distance
- Brake at intersections
What is My Festus, MO Pedestrian Accident Worth?
While the only way to correctly assess the types of damages in any injury claim is through a careful investigation of the case, our Festus, MO pedestrian accident lawyer can assist you in understanding what your case might be worth by gauging:
- The particular circumstances of your Festus, MO pedestrian accident
- Who was at fault and if you shared any blame
- The type of injuries sustained and their severity
- Whether you suffered permanent impairment, disability, or disfigurement
- How your injuries affect your quality of life moving forward
- The strength of your negligence case
- The amount of insurance coverage available
What Are Common Festus, MO Pedestrian Accident Injuries?
A Festus, MO pedestrian is no match for any sort of motor vehicle, no matter the size or scenario. If you have been hit by a car or a truck, or even a golf cart, your well-being is the number one concern. At Missouri Injury Law, our staff of Festus, MO pedestrian accident attorneys can help direct you to the care you need and fight for the compensation you and your family deserve. Several of these injuries may or may not be apparent at the time of the Festus, MO accident. If you notice any symptoms of a serious condition, seek medical attention right away. And then phone a pedestrian accident lawyer at Missouri Injury Law as soon as possible at 636-333-1717 or contact us. Common injuries after a Festus, MO pedestrian accident include:
- Brain Injuries
- Difficulty concentrating
- Mood changes
- Changes in sleep patterns
- Spinal Cord Injuries
- Severe neck or back pain
- Numbness or tingling
- Difficulty walking
- Difficulty breathing
- Loss of bowel or bladder control
- Extreme neck or back distortion
- Broken Bones
- Cuts, Bruises, and Skin Abrasions
- Mental Health Injuries
Motor vehicle accidents are one of the leading causes of traumatic brain injuries. If you have been in a Festus, MO pedestrian accident where you bumped your head, you need to look out for any of the following symptoms of TBI, as they can quickly ramp up in Festus, MO, and turn life-threatening:
Motor vehicle accidents are the number one cause of spinal cord injuries in the U.S. The severity of the impact of a Festus, MO pedestrian accident can cause severe swelling that could eventually result in permanent paralysis. Symptoms of a spinal cord injury in Festus, MO include:
The human body is not made to sustain the force of a 2,000-plus-pound vehicle. For this reason alone, broken bones are commonplace in Festus, MO pedestrian accidents.
Cuts and bruises might seem like minor injuries after a Festus, MO pedestrian accident, but they can lead to serious complications, including infections.
There is no way to truly know how someone feels in the aftermath of a traumatic Festus, MO pedestrian accident. We all deal with feelings and emotions differently. After a Festus, MO pedestrian accident, it is routine to feel rage, sadness, and confusion. If you are having a hard time after a pedestrian accident in Festus, MO, do not hesitate to reach out for help. Our pedestrian accident lawyer can put you in contact with the right people. Give us a call today at 636-333-1717 or contact us in confidence.
How Do I Prove Who Is Liable for My Injuries In a Festus, MO Pedestrian Accident?
To prove that a driver was at fault for causing your Festus, MO pedestrian accident injuries, your pedestrian accident lawyer near Festus, MO, must prove the following:
- The at-fault driver owed you a duty of care to drive their vehicle safely and legally.
- The driver breached their duty of care when they took an action that violated the duty of care.
- This breach of duty resulted in a pedestrian accident that injured you, and your injury caused economic and noneconomic damages.
Your Festus, MO Pedestrian Accident Lawyer | Missouri Injury Law Firm
The pedestrian accident lawyers at Missouri Injury Law have dedicated their careers to fighting for Festus, MO residents who have been injured as a result of a driver’s carelessness. We are passionate about making sure that you and your family are stress free while we fight for maximum compensation for your Festus, MO injuries and damages. See what our Festus, MO clients have to say about our legal representation.