Pedestrian Accident Lawyer Florissant, MO
Serving All Missouri Personal Injury VictimsView Full Service Area
Pedestrian Accident Lawyer Florissant, MO. As a pedestrian, you should never have to fear for your safety doing something as simple as walking on the sidewalk or roadside. In Florissant, MO, there are laws in place to protect you, designed to allow pedestrians and motor vehicles to share the same space. Somehow though, several times a day, Florissant, MO accidents between motorists and pedestrians continue to happen.
If you or a loved one has been involved in a Florissant, MO pedestrian accident, call the Missouri Injury Law Firm immediately at 636-333-1717 or reach out to us for a complimentary, confidential consultation. Our Florissant, MO pedestrian accident lawyer will meet with you as soon as possible near Florissant, MO to discuss your case and protect your interests. If you have sustained injuries and have lost work and wages due to the Florissant, MO accident, you need an expert pedestrian accident lawyer from Missouri Injury Law fighting in your corner.
What Are My Rights After a Florissant, MO Pedestrian Accident?
If you have been injured in a Florissant, MO pedestrian accident, you may be able to recover damages under state law. In Missouri, accident victims have five years from the date of the accident to file a personal injury suit against the at-fault party. In Illinois, you have two years to file a claim. Following your accident, don’t hesitate to call our Florissant, MO professional pedestrian accident attorney at 636-333-1717 or reach out to us to assist in understanding your rights and helping you fight for the compensation you are entitled to.
Damages may include, but are not limited to:
- Medical costs — Serious Florissant, MO injuries can incur thousands of dollars in medical costs. Covered costs vary from case to case but often include:
- Doctor visits
- Medical devices
- Follow-up care
- Pain and suffering — Florissant, MO pedestrian accidents can cause serious physical and emotional pain. When an injury or accident near Florissant, MO, generates physical and emotional stress, the law allows you to claim these as damages. A few examples are:
- Loss of enjoyment
- Lost wages — If you sustain a serious injury in Florissant, MO, you might not be able to return to work as soon as you might like. In the event you can’t get back to work, your Florissant, MO pedestrian accident lawyer may ask for future wages.
- Wrongful death — Sadly and unfortunately, some Florissant, MO pedestrian accidents may be too severe for the survival of a loved one. In this case, you or a family member near Florissant, MO, may have a wrongful death case. This type of claim may include:
- Pain and suffering
- Medical costs
- Lost wages
- Loss of guidance
- Loss of consortium
- Outstanding medical costs
How Common Are Florissant, MO Pedestrian Accidents?
According to a recent report from the Governors Highway Safety Association, there were an estimated 7,485 pedestrian deaths in 2021, an increase of 11.5 percent from the previous year. This is the largest number of pedestrian fatalities in four decades. From 2010-2020, pedestrian deaths increased by 54 percent while other traffic deaths combined for an increase of 13 percent.
In addition to the GHSA data, the report also analyzed the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's (NHTSA) Fatality Analysis Reporting System to further review safety trends. The research revealed a troubling statistic: The percentage of speeding-related pedestrian deaths among children younger than 15 in has more than doubled since 2018, from 5.8% to 11.9%.
There were 1,341 reported pedestrian accidents in 2021 in Missouri alone, with 1,118 injuries and 132 deaths, via the Missouri State Highway Patrol.
Because of these staggering and unsettling statistics, the NHTSA and the Federal Highway Administration started “Everyone is a Pedestrian” to curb accidents. The initiative offers resources, including these safety tips for Florissant, MO pedestrian and drivers:
8 Safety Tips for Florissant, MO Drivers
- Look out for Florissant, MO pedestrians everywhere, at all times.
- Use extra caution when driving in hard-to-see conditions, such as nighttime or bad weather in Florissant, MO.
- Slow down and be prepared to stop when turning or otherwise entering a Florissant, MO crosswalk.
- Yield to pedestrians in crosswalks and stop well back from the crosswalk to give other Florissant, MO vehicles an opportunity to see the crossing pedestrians so they can stop, too.
- Never pass vehicles stopped at a Florissant, MO crosswalk. There could be individuals crossing where you can’t see.
- Never drive under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs in Florissant, MO.
- Follow the speed limit, particularly around people on the street, in school zones, and in Florissant, MO neighborhoods where children are present.
- Be extremely cautious when backing up and be on the look out for Florissant, MO pedestrians.
8 Safety Tips for Florissant, MO Pedestrians
- Follow the rules of the road and obey all of the signs and signals in Florissant, MO.
- Walk on Florissant, MO sidewalks whenever they are available.
- If there is no sidewalk, walk facing traffic and as far from traffic as possible.
- Cross streets at crosswalks or intersections in Florissant, MO. Look for cars in all directions, including those turning left or right.
- If there is no crosswalk or intersection, locate a well-lit area where you have the optimal view of Florissant, MO traffic. Wait for a lapse in traffic that allows sufficient time to cross safely; continue looking for traffic as you cross.
- Watch for Florissant, MO cars entering or exiting driveways, or reversing in parking lots.
- Stay away from alcohol and drugs when walking in Florissant, MO; they impair your abilities and your judgment.
- Embrace walking as a healthy form of transportation in Florissant, MO — get up, get out, and get moving.
What Are the Common Causes of Florissant, MO Pedestrian Accidents?
There is no sugarcoating it, Florissant, MO pedestrian accidents are frightening. In addition to the GHSA and NHTSA reports of increasing annual pedestrian accidents, our Florissant, MO pedestrian accident lawyers have seen the injuries becoming more and more severe. The Missouri Injury legal team can help you or your loved one in Florissant, MO receive the compensation you are entitled to under the law. Common causes of Florissant, MO pedestrian accidents are:
Speeding is dangerous. However, it is one of the most common reckless behaviors drivers participate in on the road in and around Florissant, MO. On average, speeding contributes to almost 30 percent of U.S. traffic fatalities annually. Under normal speeds, a collision with a pedestrian can be catastrophic. When a Florissant, MO motor vehicle is speeding, the results can be deadly. Not only does speeding increase the risk of injury or death in Florissant, MO, it increases the chance of an accident happening at all. A speeding vehicle needs more time to stop. The Florissant, MO driver also has less time to act. By the time a Florissant, MO pedestrian recognizes a speeding driver is approaching, they essentially have little time to react.
We all have seen the warnings about texting and driving in and around Florissant, MO. Sending or receiving a text takes a Florissant, MO driver’s attention off the road for approximately 5 seconds. In that amount of time, which, at 55 mph, equates to driving the length of a football field with your eyes closed, a pedestrian could be crossing the street; a light could turn red… so many things could happen. Along with texting, other causes of Florissant, MO distracted driving include:
- Adjusting the radio
- Talking to passengers
- Talking on the phone (even with a hands-free device)
- Navigation systems
Driving Under the Influence
Driving under the influence is reckless. Approximately 32 people die each day in the U.S. because of a drunk driver, according to the NHTSA. Worse still, these deaths were all preventable. Driving under the influence in Florissant, MO impairs an individual’s decision-making skills and can affect motor reflexes. Other dangers in Florissant, MO are:
- Difficulty concentrating
- Blurry vision
- Delayed reaction time
- Reduced ability to track moving objects
- Decreased alertness
- Inability to multitask
Failure to Yield the Right of Way
Florissant, MO pedestrians depend on Florissant, MO drivers to obey right of way laws. When a driver fails to yield the right of way, a Florissant, MO pedestrian has little time to react. Accidents at intersections, when a driver runs through a traffic device or when they fail to look for pedestrians before making a turn, are commonplace failures to yield the right of way.
Bad weather, darkness, sunlight, or structural obstructions in Florissant, MO can cause poor visibility for drivers. During these kinds of situations, drivers need to exercise extra caution. Things a Florissant, MO driver can do to lessen the risk of an accident include:
- Reduce driving speed
- Limit distractions
- Ensure safety devices, including headlights, are in working order
- Pay extra attention to hazards and pedestrians
- Allow extra following distance
- Yield at intersections
What is My Florissant, MO Pedestrian Accident Worth?
While the only way to correctly assess the kinds of damages in any injury claim is through a diligent investigation of the case, our Florissant, MO pedestrian accident lawyer can help you understand what your case may be worth by gauging:
- The specific circumstances of your Florissant, MO pedestrian accident
- Who was at fault and if you shared any blame
- The kind of injuries sustained and their severity
- Whether you suffered permanent impairment, disability, or disfigurement
- How your injuries affect your quality of life moving forward
- The strength of your negligence case
- The amount of insurance coverage available
What Are Common Florissant, MO Pedestrian Accident Injuries?
A Florissant, MO pedestrian is no match for any sort of motor vehicle, no matter the size or situation. If you have been hit by a car or a truck, or even a golf cart, your well-being is the number one priority. At Missouri Injury Law, our staff of Florissant, MO pedestrian accident attorneys can help introduce you to the care you need and fight for the compensation you and your loved ones are entitled to. Some of these injuries may or may not be obvious at the time of the Florissant, MO accident. If you notice any symptoms of a serious condition, seek medical attention as soon as possible. And then phone a pedestrian accident lawyer at Missouri Injury Law as soon as possible at 636-333-1717 or contact us. Common injuries after a Florissant, MO pedestrian accident are:
- Brain Injuries
- Difficulty concentrating
- Mood changes
- Changes in sleep patterns
- Spinal Cord Injuries
- Extreme neck or back pain
- Numbness or tingling
- Difficulty walking
- Difficulty breathing
- Loss of bowel or bladder control
- Extreme neck or back distortion
- Broken Bones
- Cuts, Bruises, and Skin Abrasions
- Mental Health Injuries
Motor vehicle accidents are one of the leading causes of traumatic brain injuries. If you have been in a Florissant, MO pedestrian accident where you bumped your head, you need to watch for any of the following symptoms of TBI, as they can escalate quickly in Florissant, MO, and turn life-threatening:
Motor vehicle accidents are the number one cause of spinal cord injuries in the U.S. The force of the impact of a Florissant, MO pedestrian accident can cause serious swelling that can eventually result in permanent paralysis. Symptoms of a spinal cord injury in Florissant, MO are:
The human body is not designed to sustain the force of a 2,000-plus-pound vehicle. For this reason alone, broken bones are commonplace in Florissant, MO pedestrian accidents.
Cuts and bruises may seem like minor injuries after a Florissant, MO pedestrian accident, but they can lead to severe complications, including infections.
There is no way to truly realize how someone feels after a traumatic Florissant, MO pedestrian accident. We all work through feelings and emotions differently. Following a Florissant, MO pedestrian accident, it is normal to feel intense anger, sadness, and confusion. If you are having difficulty after a pedestrian accident in Florissant, MO, do not hesitate reaching out for help. Our pedestrian accident lawyer can put you in touch with the right people. Call us today at 636-333-1717 or contact us in confidence.
How Do I Prove Who Is Liable for My Injuries In a Florissant, MO Pedestrian Accident?
To prove that a driver was at fault for causing your Florissant, MO pedestrian accident injuries, your pedestrian accident lawyer near Florissant, MO, must show the following:
- The at-fault driver owed you a duty of care to drive their vehicle safely and legally.
- The driver breached their duty of care when they took an action that violated the duty of care.
- This breach of duty resulted in a pedestrian accident that injured you, and your injury caused economic and noneconomic damages.
Your Florissant, MO Pedestrian Accident Lawyer | Missouri Injury Law Firm
The pedestrian accident lawyers at Missouri Injury Law have devoted their livelihoods to fighting for Florissant, MO residents who have been injured due to a driver’s recklessness. We care about guaranteeing that you and your family are stress free while we fight for maximum compensation for your Florissant, MO injuries and damages. See what our Florissant, MO clients feel about our legal representation.