Pedestrian Accident Lawyer Fulton, MO
Serving All Missouri Personal Injury VictimsView Full Service Area
Pedestrian Accident Lawyer Fulton, MO. As a pedestrian, you should not have to be concerned for your safety simply strolling down the sidewalk or roadside. In Fulton, MO, there are laws in place to protect you, designed to allow pedestrians and motor vehicles to share the same space. Somehow though, day after day, Fulton, MO accidents between motorists and pedestrians continue to occur.
If you or someone you love has been involved in a Fulton, MO pedestrian accident, call the Missouri Injury Law Firm immediately at 636-333-1717 or contact us for a no-cost, no-risk consultation. Our Fulton, MO pedestrian accident lawyer will meet with you as soon as possible near Fulton, MO to discuss your case and protect your interests. If you have suffered injuries and have lost work and wages due to the Fulton, MO accident, you deserve an expert pedestrian accident lawyer from Missouri Injury Law fighting in your corner.
What Are My Rights After a Fulton, MO Pedestrian Accident?
If you’ve been injured in a Fulton, MO pedestrian accident, you may be able to recover damages under state law. In Missouri, accident victims have five years from the date of the incident to file a personal injury claim against the at-fault party. In Illinois, you have two years to file a claim. Following your accident, don’t wait to call our Fulton, MO professional pedestrian accident attorney at 636-333-1717 or reach out to us to help you understand your rights and assist you in fighting for the compensation you are entitled to.
Damages may include, but are not limited to:
- Medical costs — Serious Fulton, MO injuries can run up thousands of dollars in medical costs. Covered costs vary from case to case but frequently include:
- Doctor visits
- Medical devices
- Follow-up care
- Pain and suffering — Fulton, MO pedestrian accidents can create severe physical and emotional pain. When an injury or accident near Fulton, MO, causes you physical and emotional stress, the law allows you to claim these as damages. Some examples include:
- Loss of enjoyment
- Lost wages — If you sustain a serious injury in Fulton, MO, you may not be able to return to your job right away. In the event you can’t return to work, your Fulton, MO pedestrian accident lawyer may ask for future wages.
- Wrongful death — Sadly and unfortunately, some Fulton, MO pedestrian accidents may be too severe for your loved one. In such a case, you or a family member near Fulton, MO, may have a wrongful death case. This kind of claim may include:
- Pain and suffering
- Medical costs
- Lost wages
- Loss of guidance
- Loss of consortium
- Outstanding medical costs
How Common Are Fulton, MO Pedestrian Accidents?
According to a recent report from the Governors Highway Safety Association, there were an estimated 7,485 pedestrian deaths in 2021, an increase of 11.5 percent from the previous year. This is the largest number of pedestrian fatalities in four decades. From 2010-2020, pedestrian deaths increased by 54 percent while other traffic deaths combined for an increase of 13 percent.
Along with the GHSA data, the report also studied the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's (NHTSA) Fatality Analysis Reporting System to further explore safety trends. The research showed a troubling statistic: The percentage of speeding-related pedestrian deaths among children younger than 15 in has more than doubled since 2018, from 5.8% to 11.9%.
There were 1,341 reported pedestrian accidents in 2021 in Missouri alone, with 1,118 injuries and killing 132 individuals, according to the Missouri State Highway Patrol.
Because of these staggering and unsettling statistics, the NHTSA and the Federal Highway Administration launched “Everyone is a Pedestrian” to curb accidents. The organization offers resources, including the following safety tips for Fulton, MO pedestrian and drivers:
8 Safety Tips for Fulton, MO Drivers
- Look out for Fulton, MO pedestrians everywhere, at all times.
- Use extreme caution when driving in hard-to-see situations, such as nighttime or bad weather in Fulton, MO.
- Slow down and be ready to stop when turning or otherwise entering a Fulton, MO crosswalk.
- Yield to pedestrians in crosswalks and stop well back from the crosswalk to give other Fulton, MO vehicles an opportunity to see the crossing pedestrians so they can stop, too.
- Never pass vehicles stopped at a Fulton, MO crosswalk. There may be individuals crossing where you can’t see.
- Never drive under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs in Fulton, MO.
- Follow the speed limit, especially around people on the street, in school zones, and in Fulton, MO neighborhoods where children are present.
- Be extra cautious when backing up and look for Fulton, MO pedestrians.
8 Safety Tips for Fulton, MO Pedestrians
- Follow the rules of the road and obey all signs and signals in Fulton, MO.
- Walk on Fulton, MO sidewalks whenever they are available.
- If there is no sidewalk, walk facing traffic and as far from traffic as possible.
- Cross streets at crosswalks or intersections in Fulton, MO. Look for cars in all directions, including those turning left or right.
- If there is no crosswalk or intersection, find a well-lit area where you have the optimal view of Fulton, MO traffic. Wait for a lapse in traffic that allows enough time to cross safely; keep watching for traffic as you cross.
- Watch for Fulton, MO cars entering or exiting driveways, or reversing in parking lots.
- Stay away from alcohol and drugs when walking in Fulton, MO; they impair your abilities and your judgment.
- Embrace walking as a healthy form of transportation in Fulton, MO — get up, get out, and get moving.
Call our Fulton, MO pedestrian accident lawyer today at 636-333-1717 or contact us for a complimentary, confidential case review.
What Are the Common Causes of Fulton, MO Pedestrian Accidents?
There is no sugarcoating it, Fulton, MO pedestrian accidents are frightening. In addition to the GHSA and NHTSA reports of increased annual pedestrian accidents, our Fulton, MO pedestrian accident attorneys have noticed a rise in the severity of the injuries. The Missouri Injury legal team can help you or your loved one in Fulton, MO receive the compensation you are due under the law. Common causes of Fulton, MO pedestrian accidents include:
Speeding is dangerous. However, it is one of the most common reckless behaviors drivers participate in on the road in and around Fulton, MO. On average, speeding contributes to almost 30 percent of annual U.S. traffic fatalities. A collision with a pedestrian can be catastrophic under normal speeds. When a Fulton, MO motor vehicle is speeding, the results can be deadly. Not only does speeding increase the risk of injury or death in Fulton, MO, it increases the chance of an accident happening at all. A speeding vehicle takes longer to stop. The Fulton, MO driver also has less time to act. By the time a Fulton, MO pedestrian realizes a speeding driver is approaching, they may have little time to react.
We all have heard the warnings about texting and driving in and around Fulton, MO. Sending or receiving a text takes a Fulton, MO driver’s attention off the road for approximately 5 seconds. During that time, which, at 55 mph, equates to driving the length of a football field with your eyes closed, a pedestrian could be crossing the street; a light could turn red… so many things could happen. Along with texting, other causes of Fulton, MO distracted driving include:
- Adjusting the radio
- Talking to passengers
- Talking on the phone (even with a hands-free device)
- Navigation systems
Driving Under the Influence
Driving under the influence is careless. Approximately 32 people die every day in the U.S. because of a drunk driver, according to the NHTSA. Worse still, these deaths were all preventable. Driving under the influence in Fulton, MO impairs an individual’s decision-making skills and can affect motor reflexes. Other dangers in Fulton, MO include:
- Difficulty concentrating
- Blurry vision
- Delayed reaction time
- Reduced ability to track moving objects
- Decreased alertness
- Inability to multitask
Failure to Yield the Right of Way
Fulton, MO pedestrians depend on Fulton, MO drivers to follow right of way laws. When a driver fails to yield the right of way, a Fulton, MO pedestrian has little time to act. Failure to yield the right of way commonly causes accidents at intersections, when a driver runs through a traffic device or when they fail to look for pedestrians before making a turn.
Bad weather, darkness, sunlight, or structural obstructions in Fulton, MO can cause poor visibility for drivers. During these kinds of conditions, drivers need to use extra caution. Things a Fulton, MO driver can do to lessen the risk of an accident include:
- Reduce driving speed
- Limit distractions
- Ensure safety devices, including headlights, are in working order
- Pay extra attention to hazards and pedestrians
- Allow extra following distance
- Yield at intersections
Call our Fulton, MO pedestrian accident lawyer now at 636-333-1717 or reach out to us for a complimentary, confidential case review.
What is My Fulton, MO Pedestrian Accident Worth?
While the only way to correctly assess the types of damages in any injury claim is through a diligent investigation of the case, our Fulton, MO pedestrian accident lawyer can assist you in understanding what your case may be worth by gauging:
- The specific circumstances of your Fulton, MO pedestrian accident
- Who was at fault and if you shared any blame
- The type of injuries sustained and their severity
- Whether you suffered permanent impairment, disability, or disfigurement
- How your injuries affect your quality of life moving forward
- The strength of your negligence case
- The amount of insurance coverage available
What Are Common Fulton, MO Pedestrian Accident Injuries?
A Fulton, MO pedestrian is no match for any sort of motor vehicle, no matter the size or situation. If you have been hit by a car or a truck, or even a golf cart, your safety is the main priority. At Missouri Injury Law, our team of Fulton, MO pedestrian accident attorneys can help direct you to the care you need and fight for the compensation you and your family are entitled to. Several of these injuries may or may not be obvious at the time of the Fulton, MO accident. If you experience any symptoms of a serious condition, seek medical attention immediately. And then phone a pedestrian accident lawyer at Missouri Injury Law immediately at 636-333-1717 or contact us. Common injuries after a Fulton, MO pedestrian accident are:
- Brain Injuries
- Difficulty concentrating
- Mood changes
- Changes in sleep patterns
- Spinal Cord Injuries
- Severe neck or back pain
- Numbness or tingling
- Difficulty walking
- Difficulty breathing
- Loss of bowel or bladder control
- Extreme neck or back distortion
- Broken Bones
- Cuts, Bruises, and Skin Abrasions
- Mental Health Injuries
Motor vehicle accidents are one of the leading causes of traumatic brain injuries. If you have been in a Fulton, MO pedestrian accident where you bumped your head, you need to look out for any of the following symptoms of TBI, as they can escalate quickly in Fulton, MO, and turn life-threatening:
Motor vehicle accidents are the number one cause of spinal cord injuries in the U.S. The force of a collision from a Fulton, MO pedestrian accident can cause severe swelling that can ultimately result in permanent paralysis. Symptoms of a spinal cord injury in Fulton, MO include:
The human body is not made to sustain the force of a 2,000-plus-pound vehicle. For this reason alone, broken bones are commonplace in Fulton, MO pedestrian accidents.
Cuts and bruises may seem like minor injuries after a Fulton, MO pedestrian accident, but they can lead to serious complications, including infections.
There is no way to truly realize how someone feels after a traumatic Fulton, MO pedestrian accident. We all deal with feelings and emotions differently. After a Fulton, MO pedestrian accident, it is routine to feel rage, sadness, and confusion. If you are having a hard time after a pedestrian accident in Fulton, MO, don’t hesitate to reach out for help. Our pedestrian accident lawyer can put you in contact with the right people. Give us a call today at 636-333-1717 or contact us in confidence.
How Do I Prove Who Is Liable for My Injuries In a Fulton, MO Pedestrian Accident?
To prove that a driver was at fault for causing your Fulton, MO pedestrian accident injuries, your pedestrian accident lawyer near Fulton, MO, must show the following:
- The at-fault driver owed you a duty of care to drive their vehicle safely and legally.
- The driver breached their duty of care when they took an action that violated the duty of care.
- This breach of duty resulted in a pedestrian accident that injured you, and your injury caused economic and noneconomic damages.
Your Fulton, MO Pedestrian Accident Lawyer | Missouri Injury Law Firm
The pedestrian accident lawyers at Missouri Injury Law have devoted their careers to fighting for Fulton, MO residents who have been injured as a result of a driver’s carelessness. We are passionate about making sure that you and your family have little to worry about while we fight for maximum compensation for your Fulton, MO injuries and damages. Read what our Fulton, MO clients feel about our legal representation.
Phone one of our Fulton, MO pedestrian accident lawyers at Missouri Injury Law now at 636-333-1717 or contact us online for a free and no-risk case review near Fulton, MO.