Pedestrian Accident Lawyer Hazelwood, MO
Serving All Missouri Personal Injury VictimsView Full Service Area
Pedestrian Accident Lawyer Hazelwood, MO. As a pedestrian, you should not have to fear for your safety doing something as simple as walking on the sidewalk or roadside. In Hazelwood, MO, there are laws in place to protect you, designed to allow pedestrians and motor vehicles to share the same space. Somehow though, day after day, Hazelwood, MO accidents between motorists and pedestrians still happen.
If you or someone you love has been injured in a Hazelwood, MO pedestrian accident, call the Missouri Injury Law Firm immediately at 636-333-1717 or reach out to us for a no-cost, no-risk consultation. Our Hazelwood, MO pedestrian accident lawyer will meet with you as soon as possible near Hazelwood, MO to discuss your case and protect your interests. If you have suffered injuries and have lost work and wages because of the Hazelwood, MO accident, you need an expert pedestrian accident lawyer from Missouri Injury Law fighting in your corner.
What Are My Rights Following a Hazelwood, MO Pedestrian Accident?
If you’ve been injured in a Hazelwood, MO pedestrian accident, you may be able to recover damages under state law. In Missouri, accident victims have five years from the date of the incident to file a personal injury claim against the at-fault party. In Illinois, you have two years to file a claim. Following your accident, don’t hesitate to call our Hazelwood, MO skilled pedestrian accident lawyer at 636-333-1717 or contact us to help you understand your rights and assist you in fighting for the compensation you are entitled to.
Damages may include, but are not limited to:
- Medical costs — Serious Hazelwood, MO injuries can run up thousands of dollars in medical costs. Covered costs vary from case to case but often include:
- Doctor visits
- Medical devices
- Follow-up care
- Pain and suffering — Hazelwood, MO pedestrian accidents can cause serious physical and emotional pain. When an injury or accident near Hazelwood, MO, generates physical and emotional stress, the law permits you to claim these as damages. A few examples include:
- Loss of enjoyment
- Lost wages — If you sustain a serious injury in Hazelwood, MO, you may not be able to return to work immediately. In the event you can’t get back to work, your Hazelwood, MO pedestrian accident lawyer may ask for future wages.
- Wrongful death — Sadly and unfortunately, some Hazelwood, MO pedestrian accidents may be too severe for your loved one. In such a case, you or a family member near Hazelwood, MO, may have a wrongful death case. This kind of claim may include:
- Pain and suffering
- Medical costs
- Lost wages
- Loss of guidance
- Loss of consortium
- Outstanding medical costs
How Common Are Hazelwood, MO Pedestrian Accidents?
According to a recent report from the Governors Highway Safety Association, there were an estimated 7,485 pedestrian deaths in 2021, an increase of 11.5 percent from the previous year. This is the largest number of pedestrian fatalities in four decades. From 2010-2020, pedestrian deaths increased by 54 percent while other traffic deaths combined for an increase of 13 percent.
Along with the GHSA data, the report also studied the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's (NHTSA) Fatality Analysis Reporting System to further explore safety trends. The research revealed a staggering statistic: The percentage of speeding-related pedestrian deaths among children younger than 15 in has more than doubled since 2018, from 5.8% to 11.9%.
There were 1,341 reported pedestrian accidents in 2021 in Missouri alone, with 1,118 injuries and 132 deaths, according to the Missouri State Highway Patrol.
Due to these staggering and unsettling statistics, the NHTSA and the Federal Highway Administration started “Everyone is a Pedestrian” to curb accidents. The organization provides resources, including the following safety tips for Hazelwood, MO pedestrian and drivers:
8 Safety Tips for Hazelwood, MO Drivers
- Look out for Hazelwood, MO pedestrians everywhere, at all times.
- Use extreme caution when driving in hard-to-see conditions, like nighttime or bad weather in Hazelwood, MO.
- Slow down and be ready to stop when turning or otherwise entering a Hazelwood, MO crosswalk.
- Yield to pedestrians in crosswalks and stop well back from the crosswalk to give other Hazelwood, MO vehicles an opportunity to see the crossing pedestrians so they can stop, too.
- Never pass vehicles stopped at a Hazelwood, MO crosswalk. There may be individuals crossing where you can’t see.
- Never drive under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs in Hazelwood, MO.
- Follow the speed limit, especially around people on the street, in school zones, and in Hazelwood, MO neighborhoods where children are present.
- Be extra cautious when backing up and be on the look out for Hazelwood, MO pedestrians.
8 Safety Tips for Hazelwood, MO Pedestrians
- Follow the rules of the road and obey all of the signs and signals in Hazelwood, MO.
- Walk on Hazelwood, MO sidewalks whenever they are available.
- If there is no sidewalk, walk facing traffic and as far from traffic as possible.
- Cross streets at crosswalks or intersections in Hazelwood, MO. Look for cars in all directions, including those turning left or right.
- If a crosswalk or intersection is not available, find a well-lit area where you have the optimal view of Hazelwood, MO traffic. Wait for a gap in traffic that allows sufficient time to cross safely; continue looking for traffic as you cross.
- Watch for Hazelwood, MO vehicles entering or exiting driveways, or reversing in parking lots.
- Stay away from alcohol and drugs when walking in Hazelwood, MO; they impair your abilities and your judgment.
- Welcome walking as a healthy form of transportation in Hazelwood, MO — get up, get out, and get moving.
Call our Hazelwood, MO pedestrian accident lawyer now at 636-333-1717 or contact us for a no-cost, no-risk case review.
What Are the Common Causes of Hazelwood, MO Pedestrian Accidents?
There is no minimizing it, Hazelwood, MO pedestrian accidents are scary. In addition to the GHSA and NHTSA reports of increased pedestrian accidents year-to-year, our Hazelwood, MO pedestrian accident attorneys have noticed a rise in the severity of the injuries. The Missouri Injury legal team can help you or your loved one in Hazelwood, MO receive the compensation you are due under the law. Common causes of Hazelwood, MO pedestrian accidents are:
Speeding is dangerous. Yet, it is one of the most common reckless behaviors drivers participate in on the road in and around Hazelwood, MO. On average, speeding contributes to approximately 30 percent of annual U.S. traffic fatalities. Under normal speeds, a collision with a pedestrian can be catastrophic. When a Hazelwood, MO driver is speeding, the results can be deadly. Not only does speeding increase the risk of injury or death in Hazelwood, MO, it increases the chance of an accident occurring at all. A speeding vehicle takes longer to stop. The Hazelwood, MO driver also has less time to react. By the time a Hazelwood, MO pedestrian notices a speeding driver is approaching, they essentially have little time to react.
We all have heard the warnings about texting and driving in and around Hazelwood, MO. Sending or receiving a text takes a Hazelwood, MO driver’s attention off the road for at least 5 seconds. During that time, which, at 55 mph, equates to driving the length of a football field with your eyes closed, a pedestrian could be crossing the street; a light could turn red… so many things could happen. In addition to texting, other causes of Hazelwood, MO distracted driving are:
- Adjusting the radio
- Talking to passengers
- Talking on the phone (even with a hands-free device)
- Navigation systems
Driving Under the Influence
Driving under the influence is careless. Approximately 32 people die every day in the U.S. because of a drunk driver, according to the NHTSA. Worst of all, these deaths were all preventable. Driving under the influence in Hazelwood, MO hinders a person’s decision-making skills and can affect motor reflexes. Other dangers in Hazelwood, MO include:
- Difficulty concentrating
- Blurry vision
- Delayed reaction time
- Reduced ability to track moving objects
- Decreased alertness
- Inability to multitask
Failure to Yield the Right of Way
Hazelwood, MO pedestrians depend on Hazelwood, MO drivers to follow right of way laws. When a driver fails to yield the right of way, a Hazelwood, MO pedestrian has little time to act. Failure to yield the right of way commonly causes accidents at intersections, when a driver runs through a traffic device or when they fail to look for pedestrians before making a turn.
Bad weather, darkness, sunlight, or structural obstructions in Hazelwood, MO can create poor visibility for drivers. During these types of conditions, drivers need to use extreme caution. Things a Hazelwood, MO driver can do to limit the risk of an accident include:
- Reduce driving speed
- Limit distractions
- Make sure safety devices, including headlights, are in working order
- Pay extra attention to hazards and pedestrians
- Allow extra following distance
- Yield at intersections
Call our Hazelwood, MO pedestrian accident lawyer today at 636-333-1717 or contact us for a complimentary, confidential case review.
What is My Hazelwood, MO Pedestrian Accident Worth?
While the only way to correctly evaluate the types of damages in any injury claim is through a diligent investigation of the case, our Hazelwood, MO pedestrian accident lawyer can help you understand what your case might be worth by assessing:
- The particular circumstances of your Hazelwood, MO pedestrian accident
- Who was at fault and if you shared any blame
- The type of injuries sustained and their severity
- Whether you suffered permanent impairment, disability, or disfigurement
- How your injuries affect your quality of life moving forward
- The strength of your negligence case
- The amount of insurance coverage available
What Are Common Hazelwood, MO Pedestrian Accident Injuries?
A Hazelwood, MO pedestrian is no match for any type of motor vehicle, no matter the size or scenario. If you have been hit by a car or a truck, or even a golf cart, your well-being is the main concern. At Missouri Injury Law, our team of Hazelwood, MO pedestrian accident attorneys can help introduce you to the care you need and fight for the compensation you and your loved ones are entitled to. Some of these injuries may or may not be obvious at the time of the Hazelwood, MO accident. If you experience any symptoms of a significant condition, seek medical attention immediately. And then phone a pedestrian accident lawyer at Missouri Injury Law immediately at 636-333-1717 or contact us. Common injuries after a Hazelwood, MO pedestrian accident include:
- Brain Injuries
- Difficulty concentrating
- Mood changes
- Changes in sleep patterns
- Spinal Cord Injuries
- Extreme neck or back pain
- Numbness or tingling
- Difficulty walking
- Difficulty breathing
- Loss of bowel or bladder control
- Severe neck or back distortion
- Broken Bones
- Cuts, Bruises, and Skin Abrasions
- Mental Health Injuries
Motor vehicle accidents are one of the leading causes of traumatic brain injuries. If you have been in a Hazelwood, MO pedestrian accident where you bumped your head, you need to watch for any of the following symptoms of TBI, as they can escalate quickly in Hazelwood, MO, and turn life-threatening:
Motor vehicle accidents are the number one cause of spinal cord injuries in the U.S. The force of a collision from a Hazelwood, MO pedestrian accident can cause severe swelling that could eventually result in permanent paralysis. Symptoms of a spinal cord injury in Hazelwood, MO are:
The human body is not made to withstand the force of a 2,000-plus-pound vehicle. For this reason alone, broken bones are commonplace in Hazelwood, MO pedestrian accidents.
Cuts and bruises might seem like minor injuries after a Hazelwood, MO pedestrian accident, but they can lead to severe complications, including infections.
There is no way to truly realize how someone feels in the aftermath of a traumatic Hazelwood, MO pedestrian accident. We all experience feelings and emotions differently. Following a Hazelwood, MO pedestrian accident, it is normal to feel rage, sadness, and confusion. If you are having a hard time after a pedestrian accident in Hazelwood, MO, don’t hesitate reaching out for help. Our pedestrian accident lawyer can put you in touch with the right people. Call us today at 636-333-1717 or contact us in confidence.
How Do I Prove Who Is Liable for My Injuries In a Hazelwood, MO Pedestrian Accident?
To prove that a driver was at fault for causing your Hazelwood, MO pedestrian accident injuries, your pedestrian accident lawyer near Hazelwood, MO, must show the following:
- The at-fault driver owed you a duty of care to drive their vehicle safely and legally.
- The driver breached their duty of care when they took an action that violated the duty of care.
- This breach of duty resulted in a pedestrian accident that injured you, and your injury caused economic and noneconomic damages.
Your Hazelwood, MO Pedestrian Accident Lawyer | Missouri Injury Law Firm
The pedestrian accident lawyers at Missouri Injury Law have dedicated their livelihoods to fighting for Hazelwood, MO residents who have been injured due to a driver’s recklessness. We are passionate about guaranteeing that you and your family have little to worry about while we fight for complete compensation for your Hazelwood, MO injuries and damages. Read what our Hazelwood, MO clients feel about our legal representation.
Call one of our Hazelwood, MO pedestrian accident lawyers at Missouri Injury Law today at 636-333-1717 or reach out to us online for a free and no-risk consultation near Hazelwood, MO.