Pedestrian Accident Lawyer Hillsboro, MO
Serving All Missouri Personal Injury VictimsView Full Service Area
Pedestrian Accident Lawyer Hillsboro, MO. As a pedestrian, you should not have to fear for your safety doing something as simple as strolling down the sidewalk or roadside. In Hillsboro, MO, there are laws in place to protect you, designed to allow pedestrians and motor vehicles to share the same space. Somehow though, several times a day, Hillsboro, MO accidents between motorists and pedestrians continue to occur.
If you or someone you love has been injured in a Hillsboro, MO pedestrian accident, call the Missouri Injury Law Firm immediately at 636-333-1717 or reach out to us for a complimentary, confidential consultation. Our Hillsboro, MO pedestrian accident lawyer will meet with you as soon as possible near Hillsboro, MO to discuss your case and protect your interests. If you have sustained injuries and have lost work and wages due to the Hillsboro, MO accident, you deserve an expert pedestrian accident lawyer from Missouri Injury Law standing by your side.
What Are My Rights After a Hillsboro, MO Pedestrian Accident?
If you have been injured in a Hillsboro, MO pedestrian accident, you may be able to recover damages under state law. In Missouri, accident victims have five years from the date of the incident to file a personal injury claim against the at-fault party. In Illinois, you have two years to file a claim. Following your accident, don’t wait to call our Hillsboro, MO skilled pedestrian accident lawyer at 636-333-1717 or reach out to us to help you understand your rights and assist you in fighting for the compensation you deserve.
Damages may include, but are not limited to:
- Medical costs — Severe Hillsboro, MO injuries can incur thousands of dollars in medical costs. Covered costs vary from case to case but often include:
- Doctor visits
- Medical devices
- Follow-up care
- Pain and suffering — Hillsboro, MO pedestrian accidents can create severe physical and emotional pain. When an injury or accident near Hillsboro, MO, brings about physical and emotional stress, the law allows you to claim these as damages. Some examples include:
- Loss of enjoyment
- Lost wages — If you suffer a serious injury in Hillsboro, MO, you might not be able to return to work right away. In the event you can’t return to work, your Hillsboro, MO pedestrian accident lawyer may request future wages.
- Wrongful death — Sadly and unfortunately, some Hillsboro, MO pedestrian accidents may be too severe for your loved one. In such a case, you or a family member near Hillsboro, MO, may have a wrongful death case. This type of claim may include:
- Pain and suffering
- Medical costs
- Lost wages
- Loss of guidance
- Loss of consortium
- Outstanding medical costs
How Common Are Hillsboro, MO Pedestrian Accidents?
According to a recent report from the Governors Highway Safety Association, there were an estimated 7,485 pedestrian deaths in 2021, an increase of 11.5 percent from the previous year. This is the largest number of pedestrian fatalities in four decades. From 2010-2020, pedestrian deaths increased by 54 percent while other traffic deaths combined for an increase of 13 percent.
Alongside the GHSA data, the report also studied the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's (NHTSA) Fatality Analysis Reporting System to further review safety trends. The research revealed a staggering statistic: The percentage of speeding-related pedestrian deaths among children younger than 15 in has more than doubled since 2018, from 5.8% to 11.9%.
There were 1,341 reported pedestrian accidents in 2021 in Missouri alone, injuring 1,118 and killing 132 individuals, via the Missouri State Highway Patrol.
Due to these staggering and unsettling numbers, the NHTSA and the Federal Highway Administration started “Everyone is a Pedestrian” to curb accidents. The initiative offers resources, including the following safety tips for Hillsboro, MO pedestrian and drivers:
8 Safety Tips for Hillsboro, MO Drivers
- Look out for Hillsboro, MO pedestrians everywhere, at all times.
- Use extra caution when driving in hard-to-see situations, like nighttime or bad weather in Hillsboro, MO.
- Slow down and be prepared to stop when turning or otherwise entering a Hillsboro, MO crosswalk.
- Yield to pedestrians in crosswalks and stop well back from the crosswalk to give other Hillsboro, MO vehicles an opportunity to see the crossing pedestrians so they can stop, too.
- Never pass vehicles stopped at a Hillsboro, MO crosswalk. There may be individuals crossing where you can’t see.
- Never drive under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs in Hillsboro, MO.
- Follow the speed limit, especially around people on the street, in school zones, and in Hillsboro, MO neighborhoods where children are present.
- Be extremely cautious when backing up and look for Hillsboro, MO pedestrians.
8 Safety Tips for Hillsboro, MO Pedestrians
- Follow the rules of the road and obey all of the signs and signals in Hillsboro, MO.
- Walk on Hillsboro, MO sidewalks whenever they are available.
- If there is no sidewalk, walk facing traffic and as far from traffic as possible.
- Cross streets at crosswalks or intersections in Hillsboro, MO. Look for cars in all directions, including those turning left or right.
- If there is no crosswalk or intersection, locate an illuminated area where you have the best view of Hillsboro, MO traffic. Wait for a lapse in traffic allowing sufficient time to cross safely; keep watching for traffic as you cross.
- Look out for Hillsboro, MO vehicles entering or exiting driveways, or reversing in parking lots.
- Stay away from alcohol and drugs when walking in Hillsboro, MO; they impair your abilities and your judgment.
- Embrace walking as a healthy form of transportation in Hillsboro, MO — get up, get out, and get moving.
What Are the Common Causes of Hillsboro, MO Pedestrian Accidents?
There is no minimizing it, Hillsboro, MO pedestrian accidents are scary. In addition to the GHSA and NHTSA reports of increased pedestrian accidents year-to-year, our Hillsboro, MO pedestrian accident attorneys have seen the injuries becoming more and more severe. The Missouri Injury legal team can help you or your loved one in Hillsboro, MO receive the compensation you are due under the law. Common causes of Hillsboro, MO pedestrian accidents are:
Speeding is dangerous. However, it is one of the most common reckless behaviors drivers participate in on the road in and around Hillsboro, MO. On average, speeding contributes to approximately 30 percent of U.S. traffic fatalities annually. A collision with a pedestrian can be catastrophic under normal speeds. When a Hillsboro, MO driver is speeding, the results can be deadly. Not only does speeding increase the risk of injury or death in Hillsboro, MO, it increases the chance of an accident happening at all. A speeding vehicle takes longer to stop. The Hillsboro, MO driver also has less time to act. By the time a Hillsboro, MO pedestrian notices a speeding driver is approaching, they essentially have little time to react.
We all have heard the warnings about texting and driving in and around Hillsboro, MO. Sending or receiving a text takes a Hillsboro, MO driver’s attention off the road for at least 5 seconds. In that amount of time, which, at 55 mph, equates to driving the length of a football field with your eyes closed, a pedestrian could be crossing the street; a light could turn red… so many things could happen. Along with texting, other causes of Hillsboro, MO distracted driving include:
- Adjusting the radio
- Talking to passengers
- Talking on the phone (even with a hands-free device)
- Navigation systems
Driving Under the Influence
Driving under the influence is reckless. Approximately 32 people die every day in the U.S. because of a drunk driver, according to the NHTSA. Worse still, these deaths were all preventable. Driving under the influence in Hillsboro, MO hinders an individual’s decision-making skills and can affect motor reflexes. Other dangers in Hillsboro, MO are:
- Difficulty concentrating
- Blurry vision
- Delayed reaction time
- Reduced ability to track moving objects
- Decreased alertness
- Inability to multitask
Failure to Yield the Right of Way
Hillsboro, MO pedestrians depend on Hillsboro, MO drivers to obey right of way laws. When a driver fails to yield the right of way, a Hillsboro, MO pedestrian has little time to act. Failure to yield the right of way commonly causes accidents at intersections, when a driver runs through a traffic device or when they fail to look for pedestrians before making a turn.
Bad weather, darkness, sunlight, or structural obstructions in Hillsboro, MO can create poor visibility for drivers. During these kinds of scenarios, drivers need to use extra caution. Things a Hillsboro, MO driver can do to lessen the risk of an accident include:
- Reduce driving speed
- Limit distractions
- Make sure safety devices, including headlights, are in working order
- Pay extra attention to hazards and pedestrians
- Allow extra following distance
- Slow at intersections
What is My Hillsboro, MO Pedestrian Accident Worth?
While the only way to correctly assess the types of damages in any injury claim is through a careful investigation of the case, our Hillsboro, MO pedestrian accident lawyer can assist you in understanding what your case may be worth by assessing:
- The specific circumstances of your Hillsboro, MO pedestrian accident
- Who was at fault and if you shared any blame
- The kind of injuries sustained and their severity
- Whether you suffered permanent impairment, disability, or disfigurement
- How your injuries affect your quality of life moving forward
- The strength of your negligence case
- The amount of insurance coverage available
What Are Common Hillsboro, MO Pedestrian Accident Injuries?
A Hillsboro, MO pedestrian is no match for any sort of motor vehicle, no matter the size or situation. If you have been struck by a car or a truck, or even a golf cart, your safety is the number one priority. At Missouri Injury Law, our staff of Hillsboro, MO pedestrian accident attorneys can help direct you to the care you need and fight for the compensation you and your loved ones are entitled to. Several of these injuries may or may not be apparent at the time of the Hillsboro, MO accident. If you experience any symptoms of a significant condition, seek medical attention as soon as possible. And then phone a pedestrian accident lawyer at Missouri Injury Law as soon as possible at 636-333-1717 or contact us. Common injuries after a Hillsboro, MO pedestrian accident are:
- Brain Injuries
- Difficulty concentrating
- Mood changes
- Changes in sleep patterns
- Spinal Cord Injuries
- Extreme neck or back pain
- Numbness or tingling
- Difficulty walking
- Difficulty breathing
- Loss of bowel or bladder control
- Severe neck or back distortion
- Broken Bones
- Cuts, Bruises, and Skin Abrasions
- Mental Health Injuries
Motor vehicle accidents are one of the leading causes of traumatic brain injuries. If you have been in a Hillsboro, MO pedestrian accident where you hit your head, you need to look out for any of the following symptoms of TBI, as they can quickly ramp up in Hillsboro, MO, and become life-threatening:
Motor vehicle accidents are the number one cause of spinal cord injuries in the U.S. The force of the impact of a Hillsboro, MO pedestrian accident can cause severe swelling that can ultimately result in permanent paralysis. Symptoms of a spinal cord injury in Hillsboro, MO include:
The human body is not designed to sustain the force of a 2,000-plus-pound vehicle. For this reason alone, broken bones are commonplace in Hillsboro, MO pedestrian accidents.
Cuts and bruises might seem relatively minor after a Hillsboro, MO pedestrian accident, but they can lead to severe complications, including infections.
There is no way to completely realize how someone feels after a traumatic Hillsboro, MO pedestrian accident. We all experience feelings and emotions differently. Following a Hillsboro, MO pedestrian accident, it is normal to feel intense anger, sadness, and confusion. If you are having difficulty after a pedestrian accident in Hillsboro, MO, do not hesitate reaching out for help. Our pedestrian accident lawyer can put you in contact with the right professionals. Give us a call today at 636-333-1717 or contact us in confidence.
How Do I Prove Who Is Liable for My Injuries In a Hillsboro, MO Pedestrian Accident?
To prove that a driver was at fault for causing your Hillsboro, MO pedestrian accident injuries, your pedestrian accident lawyer near Hillsboro, MO, must prove the following:
- The at-fault driver owed you a duty of care to drive their vehicle safely and legally.
- The driver breached their duty of care when they took an action that violated the duty of care.
- This breach of duty resulted in a pedestrian accident that injured you, and your injury caused economic and noneconomic damages.
Your Hillsboro, MO Pedestrian Accident Lawyer | Missouri Injury Law Firm
The pedestrian accident lawyers at Missouri Injury Law have devoted their livelihoods to fighting for Hillsboro, MO residents who have been injured as a result of a driver’s recklessness. We are passionate about making sure that you and your family have little to worry about while we fight for maximum compensation for your Hillsboro, MO injuries and damages. See what our Hillsboro, MO clients have to say about our legal representation.