Pedestrian Accident Lawyer Holts Summit, MO
Serving All Missouri Personal Injury VictimsView Full Service Area
Pedestrian Accident Lawyer Holts Summit, MO. As a pedestrian, you should never have to be concerned for your safety simply walking on the sidewalk or roadside. In Holts Summit, MO, there are laws in place to protect you, designed to allow pedestrians and motor vehicles to share the same space. Somehow though, several times a day, Holts Summit, MO accidents between motorists and pedestrians continue to happen.
If you or a loved one has been involved in a Holts Summit, MO pedestrian accident, call the Missouri Injury Law Firm immediately at 636-333-1717 or reach out to us for a complimentary, confidential consultation. Our Holts Summit, MO pedestrian accident lawyer will meet with you as soon as possible near Holts Summit, MO to discuss your case and protect your interests. If you have sustained injuries and have lost work and wages due to the Holts Summit, MO accident, you need an expert pedestrian accident lawyer from Missouri Injury Law fighting in your corner.
What Are My Rights After a Holts Summit, MO Pedestrian Accident?
If you’ve been injured in a Holts Summit, MO pedestrian accident, you may have a right to recover damages under state law. In Missouri, accident victims have five years from the date of the accident to file a personal injury claim against the at-fault party. In Illinois, you have two years to file a claim. Following your accident, be sure to call our Holts Summit, MO professional pedestrian accident lawyer at 636-333-1717 or reach out to us to assist in understanding your rights and helping you fight for the compensation you deserve.
Damages may include, but are not limited to:
- Medical costs — Serious Holts Summit, MO injuries can run up thousands of dollars in medical costs. Covered costs vary from case to case but often include:
- Doctor visits
- Medical devices
- Follow-up care
- Pain and suffering — Holts Summit, MO pedestrian accidents can create dire physical and emotional pain. When an injury or accident near Holts Summit, MO, brings about physical and emotional stress, the law permits you to claim these as damages. A few examples include:
- Loss of enjoyment
- Lost wages — If you sustain a serious injury in Holts Summit, MO, you might not be able to return to your job as soon as you might like. In the event you can’t return to work, your Holts Summit, MO pedestrian accident lawyer may ask for future wages.
- Wrongful death — Sadly and unfortunately, some Holts Summit, MO pedestrian accidents may be too severe for your loved one. In such a case, you or a family member near Holts Summit, MO, may have a wrongful death case. This kind of claim may include:
- Pain and suffering
- Medical costs
- Lost wages
- Loss of guidance
- Loss of consortium
- Outstanding medical costs
How Common Are Holts Summit, MO Pedestrian Accidents?
According to a recent report from the Governors Highway Safety Association, there were an estimated 7,485 pedestrian deaths in 2021, an increase of 11.5 percent from the previous year. This is the largest number of pedestrian fatalities in four decades. From 2010-2020, pedestrian deaths increased by 54 percent while other traffic deaths combined for an increase of 13 percent.
Along with the GHSA data, the report also studied the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's (NHTSA) Fatality Analysis Reporting System to further explore safety trends. The research showed a troubling statistic: The percentage of speeding-related pedestrian deaths among children younger than 15 in has more than doubled since 2018, from 5.8% to 11.9%.
There were 1,341 reported pedestrian accidents in 2021 in Missouri alone, with 1,118 injuries and 132 deaths, according to the Missouri State Highway Patrol.
Because of these staggering and unsettling statistics, the NHTSA and the Federal Highway Administration launched “Everyone is a Pedestrian” to curb accidents. The organization offers resources, including the following safety tips for Holts Summit, MO pedestrian and drivers:
8 Safety Tips for Holts Summit, MO Drivers
- Look out for Holts Summit, MO pedestrians everywhere, at all times.
- Use extra caution when driving in hard-to-see conditions, such as nighttime or bad weather in Holts Summit, MO.
- Slow down and be ready to stop when turning or otherwise entering a Holts Summit, MO crosswalk.
- Yield to pedestrians in crosswalks and stop well back from the crosswalk to give other Holts Summit, MO vehicles an opportunity to see the crossing pedestrians so they can stop, too.
- Never pass vehicles stopped at a Holts Summit, MO crosswalk. There could be individuals crossing where you can’t see.
- Never drive under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs in Holts Summit, MO.
- Follow the speed limit, particularly around people on the street, in school zones, and in Holts Summit, MO neighborhoods where children are present.
- Be extremely cautious when backing up and look for Holts Summit, MO pedestrians.
8 Safety Tips for Holts Summit, MO Pedestrians
- Follow the rules of the road and obey all of the signs and signals in Holts Summit, MO.
- Walk on Holts Summit, MO sidewalks whenever they are available.
- If there is no sidewalk, walk facing traffic and as far from traffic as possible.
- Cross streets at crosswalks or intersections in Holts Summit, MO. Look for cars in all directions, including those turning left or right.
- If a crosswalk or intersection is not available, find an illuminated area where you have the best view of Holts Summit, MO traffic. Wait for a gap in traffic that allows sufficient time to cross safely; keep watching for traffic as you cross.
- Watch for Holts Summit, MO vehicles entering or exiting driveways, or backing up in parking lots.
- Stay away from alcohol and drugs when walking in Holts Summit, MO; they impair your abilities and your judgment.
- Welcome walking as a healthy form of transportation in Holts Summit, MO — get up, get out, and get moving.
What Are the Common Causes of Holts Summit, MO Pedestrian Accidents?
There is no sugarcoating it, Holts Summit, MO pedestrian accidents are scary. In addition to the GHSA and NHTSA reports of increased annual pedestrian accidents, our Holts Summit, MO pedestrian accident attorneys have noticed a rise in the severity of the injuries. The Missouri Injury legal team can help you or your loved one in Holts Summit, MO receive the compensation you are due under the law. Common causes of Holts Summit, MO pedestrian accidents are:
Speeding is dangerous. However, it is one of the most common reckless behaviors drivers participate in on the road in and around Holts Summit, MO. On average, speeding contributes to almost 30 percent of U.S. traffic fatalities annually. Under normal speeds, a collision with a pedestrian can be catastrophic. When a Holts Summit, MO driver is speeding, the results can be deadly. Not only does speeding increase the risk of injury or death in Holts Summit, MO, it increases the chance of an accident happening at all. A speeding vehicle needs more time to stop. The Holts Summit, MO driver also has less time to act. By the time a Holts Summit, MO pedestrian realizes a speeding driver is getting close, they may have little time to react.
We all have heard the warnings about texting and driving in and around Holts Summit, MO. Sending or receiving a text takes a Holts Summit, MO driver’s attention off the road for around 5 seconds. In that amount of time, which, at 55 mph, equates to driving the length of a football field with your eyes closed, a pedestrian could be crossing the street; a light could turn red… so many things could happen. In addition to texting, other causes of Holts Summit, MO distracted driving include:
- Adjusting the radio
- Talking to passengers
- Talking on the phone (even with a hands-free device)
- Navigation systems
Driving Under the Influence
Driving under the influence is reckless. Approximately 32 people die every day in the U.S. because of a drunk driver, according to the NHTSA. Worst of all, these deaths were all preventable. Driving under the influence in Holts Summit, MO impairs an individual’s decision-making skills and can affect motor reflexes. Other dangers in Holts Summit, MO are:
- Difficulty concentrating
- Blurry vision
- Delayed reaction time
- Reduced ability to track moving objects
- Decreased alertness
- Inability to multitask
Failure to Yield the Right of Way
Holts Summit, MO pedestrians depend on Holts Summit, MO drivers to follow right of way laws. When a driver fails to yield the right of way, a Holts Summit, MO pedestrian has little time to react. Failure to yield the right of way commonly causes accidents at intersections, when a driver runs through a traffic device or when they fail to look for pedestrians before making a turn.
Bad weather, darkness, sunlight, or structural obstructions in Holts Summit, MO can create poor visibility for drivers. During these types of conditions, drivers need to exercise extreme caution. Things a Holts Summit, MO driver can do to limit the risk of an accident include:
- Reduce driving speed
- Limit distractions
- Make sure safety devices, including headlights, are in working order
- Pay extra attention to hazards and pedestrians
- Allow extra following distance
- Brake at intersections
What is My Holts Summit, MO Pedestrian Accident Worth?
While the only way to correctly assess the kinds of damages in any injury claim is through an intricate investigation of the case, our Holts Summit, MO pedestrian accident lawyer can help you understand what your case may be worth by assessing:
- The specific circumstances of your Holts Summit, MO pedestrian accident
- Who was at fault and if you shared any blame
- The kind of injuries sustained and their severity
- Whether you suffered permanent impairment, disability, or disfigurement
- How your injuries affect your quality of life moving forward
- The strength of your negligence case
- The amount of insurance coverage available
What Are Common Holts Summit, MO Pedestrian Accident Injuries?
A Holts Summit, MO pedestrian is no match for any sort of motor vehicle, no matter the size or scenario. If you have been struck by a car or a truck, or even a golf cart, your well-being is the main concern. At Missouri Injury Law, our staff of Holts Summit, MO pedestrian accident attorneys can help direct you to the care you need and fight for the compensation you and your family are entitled to. Several of these injuries may or may not be apparent at the time of the Holts Summit, MO accident. If you show any symptoms of a significant condition, seek medical attention right away. And then phone a pedestrian accident lawyer at Missouri Injury Law immediately at 636-333-1717 or contact us. Common injuries after a Holts Summit, MO pedestrian accident are:
- Brain Injuries
- Difficulty concentrating
- Mood changes
- Changes in sleep patterns
- Spinal Cord Injuries
- Extreme neck or back pain
- Numbness or tingling
- Difficulty walking
- Difficulty breathing
- Loss of bowel or bladder control
- Extreme neck or back distortion
- Broken Bones
- Cuts, Bruises, and Skin Abrasions
- Mental Health Injuries
Motor vehicle accidents are one of the leading causes of traumatic brain injuries. If you have been in a Holts Summit, MO pedestrian accident where you hit your head, you need to look out for any of the following symptoms of TBI, as they can quickly ramp up in Holts Summit, MO, and turn life-threatening:
Motor vehicle accidents are the number one cause of spinal cord injuries in the U.S. The severity of a collision from a Holts Summit, MO pedestrian accident can cause serious swelling that could ultimately result in permanent paralysis. Symptoms of a spinal cord injury in Holts Summit, MO include:
The human body is not designed to sustain the force of a 2,000-plus-pound vehicle. For this reason alone, broken bones are commonplace in Holts Summit, MO pedestrian accidents.
Cuts and bruises might seem like minor injuries after a Holts Summit, MO pedestrian accident, but they can lead to major complications, including infections.
There is no way to completely realize how someone feels in the aftermath of a traumatic Holts Summit, MO pedestrian accident. We all experience feelings and emotions differently. Following a Holts Summit, MO pedestrian accident, it is routine to feel intense anger, sadness, and confusion. If you are having difficulty after a pedestrian accident in Holts Summit, MO, do not hesitate to reach out for help. Our pedestrian accident lawyer can put you in contact with the right professionals. Call us today at 636-333-1717 or contact us in confidence.
How Do I Prove Who Is Liable for My Injuries In a Holts Summit, MO Pedestrian Accident?
To prove that a driver was at fault for causing your Holts Summit, MO pedestrian accident injuries, your pedestrian accident lawyer near Holts Summit, MO, must prove the following:
- The at-fault driver owed you a duty of care to drive their vehicle safely and legally.
- The driver breached their duty of care when they took an action that violated the duty of care.
- This breach of duty resulted in a pedestrian accident that injured you, and your injury caused economic and noneconomic damages.
Your Holts Summit, MO Pedestrian Accident Lawyer | Missouri Injury Law Firm
The pedestrian accident lawyers at Missouri Injury Law have dedicated their livelihoods to fighting for Holts Summit, MO residents who have been injured due to a driver’s recklessness. We care about guaranteeing that you and your family are stress free while we fight for complete compensation for your Holts Summit, MO injuries and damages. See what our Holts Summit, MO clients feel about our legal representation.