Pedestrian Accident Lawyer Jefferson City, MO
Serving All Missouri Personal Injury VictimsView Full Service Area
Pedestrian Accident Lawyer Jefferson City, MO. As a pedestrian, you should not have to be concerned for your safety doing something as simple as strolling down the sidewalk or roadside. In Jefferson City, MO, there are laws in place to protect you, designed to allow pedestrians and motor vehicles to share the same space. Somehow though, several times a day, Jefferson City, MO accidents between motorists and pedestrians continue to occur.
If you or someone you love has been involved in a Jefferson City, MO pedestrian accident, call the Missouri Injury Law Firm immediately at 636-333-1717 or reach out to us for a no-cost, no-risk consultation. Our Jefferson City, MO pedestrian accident lawyer will meet with you as soon as possible near Jefferson City, MO to discuss your case and protect your interests. If you have sustained injuries and have lost work and wages due to the Jefferson City, MO accident, you need an expert pedestrian accident lawyer from Missouri Injury Law fighting in your corner.
What Are My Rights After a Jefferson City, MO Pedestrian Accident?
If you have been injured in a Jefferson City, MO pedestrian accident, you may be able to recover damages under state law. In Missouri, accident victims have five years from the date of the accident to file a personal injury suit against the at-fault party. In Illinois, you have two years to file a claim. After your accident, be sure to call our Jefferson City, MO skilled pedestrian accident attorney at 636-333-1717 or contact us to assist in understanding your rights and helping you fight for the compensation you deserve.
Damages may include, but are not limited to:
- Medical costs — Serious Jefferson City, MO injuries can incur thousands of dollars in medical costs. Covered costs differ from case to case but frequently include:
- Doctor visits
- Medical devices
- Follow-up care
- Pain and suffering — Jefferson City, MO pedestrian accidents can cause dire physical and emotional pain. When an injury or accident near Jefferson City, MO, generates physical and emotional stress, the law allows you to claim these as damages. Some examples are:
- Loss of enjoyment
- Lost wages — If you sustain a serious injury in Jefferson City, MO, you might not be able to return to your job right away. In the event you can’t return to work, your Jefferson City, MO pedestrian accident lawyer may request future wages.
- Wrongful death — Sadly and unfortunately, some Jefferson City, MO pedestrian accidents may be too severe for your loved one. In such a case, you or a family member near Jefferson City, MO, may have a wrongful death claim. This kind of claim may include:
- Pain and suffering
- Medical costs
- Lost wages
- Loss of guidance
- Loss of consortium
- Outstanding medical costs
How Common Are Jefferson City, MO Pedestrian Accidents?
According to a recent report from the Governors Highway Safety Association, there were an estimated 7,485 pedestrian deaths in 2021, an increase of 11.5 percent from the previous year. This is the largest number of pedestrian fatalities in four decades. From 2010-2020, pedestrian deaths increased by 54 percent while other traffic deaths combined for an increase of 13 percent.
Alongside the GHSA data, the report also analyzed the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's (NHTSA) Fatality Analysis Reporting System to further explore safety trends. The analysis revealed a staggering statistic: The percentage of speeding-related pedestrian deaths among children younger than 15 in has more than doubled since 2018, from 5.8% to 11.9%.
There were 1,341 reported pedestrian accidents in 2021 in Missouri alone, injuring 1,118 and killing 132 individuals, according to the Missouri State Highway Patrol.
Because of these staggering and unsettling statistics, the NHTSA and the Federal Highway Administration started “Everyone is a Pedestrian” to curb accidents. The organization provides resources, including these safety tips for Jefferson City, MO pedestrian and drivers:
8 Safety Tips for Jefferson City, MO Drivers
- Look out for Jefferson City, MO pedestrians everywhere, at all times.
- Use extreme caution when driving in hard-to-see conditions, like nighttime or bad weather in Jefferson City, MO.
- Slow down and be prepared to stop when turning or otherwise entering a Jefferson City, MO crosswalk.
- Yield to pedestrians in crosswalks and stop well back from the crosswalk to give other Jefferson City, MO vehicles an opportunity to see the crossing pedestrians so they can stop, too.
- Never pass vehicles stopped at a Jefferson City, MO crosswalk. There could be people crossing where you can’t see.
- Never drive under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs in Jefferson City, MO.
- Follow the speed limit, especially around people on the street, in school zones, and in Jefferson City, MO neighborhoods where children are present.
- Be extra cautious when backing up and look for Jefferson City, MO pedestrians.
8 Safety Tips for Jefferson City, MO Pedestrians
- Follow the rules of the road and obey all signs and signals in Jefferson City, MO.
- Walk on Jefferson City, MO sidewalks whenever they are available.
- If there is no sidewalk, walk facing traffic and as far from traffic as possible.
- Cross streets at crosswalks or intersections in Jefferson City, MO. Look for cars in all directions, including those turning left or right.
- If a crosswalk or intersection is not available, find a well-lit area where you have the best view of Jefferson City, MO traffic. Wait for a lapse in traffic that allows enough time to cross safely; keep watching for traffic as you cross.
- Look out for Jefferson City, MO cars entering or exiting driveways, or reversing in parking lots.
- Stay away from alcohol and drugs when walking in Jefferson City, MO; they impair your abilities and your judgment.
- Welcome walking as a healthy form of transportation in Jefferson City, MO — get up, get out, and get moving.
Call our Jefferson City, MO pedestrian accident lawyer now at 636-333-1717 or contact us for a no-cost, no-risk consultation.
What Are the Common Causes of Jefferson City, MO Pedestrian Accidents?
There is no minimizing it, Jefferson City, MO pedestrian accidents are frightening. In addition to the GHSA and NHTSA reports of increased pedestrian accidents year-to-year, our Jefferson City, MO pedestrian accident lawyers have noticed the injuries becoming more and more severe. The Missouri Injury legal team can help you or your loved one in Jefferson City, MO receive the compensation you are entitled to under the law. Common causes of Jefferson City, MO pedestrian accidents are:
Speeding is dangerous. Yet, it is one of the most common reckless behaviors drivers participate in on the road in and around Jefferson City, MO. On average, speeding contributes to nearly 30 percent of U.S. traffic fatalities annually. A collision with a pedestrian can be catastrophic under normal speeds. When a Jefferson City, MO vehicle is speeding, the results can be deadly. Not only does speeding increase the risk of injury or death in Jefferson City, MO, it increases the chance of an accident happening at all. A speeding vehicle needs more time to stop. The Jefferson City, MO driver also has less time to react. By the time a Jefferson City, MO pedestrian notices a speeding driver is approaching, they essentially have little time to react.
We all have seen the warnings about texting and driving in and around Jefferson City, MO. Sending or receiving a text takes a Jefferson City, MO driver’s attention off the road for approximately 5 seconds. During that time, which, at 55 mph, equates to driving the length of a football field with your eyes closed, a pedestrian could be crossing the street; a light could turn red… so many things could happen. In addition to texting, other causes of Jefferson City, MO distracted driving are:
- Adjusting the radio
- Talking to passengers
- Talking on the phone (even with a hands-free device)
- Navigation systems
Driving Under the Influence
Driving under the influence is careless. Approximately 32 people die every day in the U.S. because of a drunk driver, according to the NHTSA. Worst of all, these deaths were all preventable. Driving under the influence in Jefferson City, MO impedes a person’s decision-making skills and can affect motor reflexes. Other dangers in Jefferson City, MO include:
- Difficulty concentrating
- Blurry vision
- Delayed reaction time
- Reduced ability to track moving objects
- Decreased alertness
- Inability to multitask
Failure to Yield the Right of Way
Jefferson City, MO pedestrians depend on Jefferson City, MO drivers to follow right of way laws. When a driver fails to yield the right of way, a Jefferson City, MO pedestrian has little time to act. Accidents at intersections, when a driver runs through a traffic device or when they fail to look for pedestrians before making a turn, are commonplace failures to yield the right of way.
Bad weather, darkness, sunlight, or structural obstructions in Jefferson City, MO can create poor visibility for drivers. During these kinds of scenarios, drivers need to use extra caution. Things a Jefferson City, MO driver can do to limit the risk of an accident include:
- Reduce driving speed
- Limit distractions
- Ensure safety devices, including headlights, are in working order
- Pay extra attention to hazards and pedestrians
- Allow extra following distance
- Brake at intersections
Call our Jefferson City, MO pedestrian accident lawyer now at 636-333-1717 or reach out to us for a complimentary, confidential case review.
What is My Jefferson City, MO Pedestrian Accident Worth?
While the only way to correctly assess the kinds of damages in any injury claim is through an intricate investigation of the case, our Jefferson City, MO pedestrian accident lawyer can assist you in understanding what your case might be worth by gauging:
- The particular circumstances of your Jefferson City, MO pedestrian accident
- Who was at fault and if you shared any blame
- The kind of injuries sustained and their severity
- Whether you suffered permanent impairment, disability, or disfigurement
- How your injuries affect your quality of life moving forward
- The strength of your negligence case
- The amount of insurance coverage available
What Are Common Jefferson City, MO Pedestrian Accident Injuries?
A Jefferson City, MO pedestrian is no match for any sort of motor vehicle, no matter the size or scenario. If you have been struck by a car or a truck, or even a golf cart, your well-being is the main concern. At Missouri Injury Law, our staff of Jefferson City, MO pedestrian accident attorneys can help introduce you to the care you need and fight for the compensation you and your family deserve. Some of these injuries may or may not be apparent at the time of the Jefferson City, MO accident. If you show any symptoms of a significant condition, seek medical attention immediately. And then phone a pedestrian accident lawyer at Missouri Injury Law as soon as possible at 636-333-1717 or contact us. Common injuries after a Jefferson City, MO pedestrian accident include:
- Brain Injuries
- Difficulty concentrating
- Mood changes
- Changes in sleep patterns
- Spinal Cord Injuries
- Severe neck or back pain
- Numbness or tingling
- Difficulty walking
- Difficulty breathing
- Loss of bowel or bladder control
- Extreme neck or back distortion
- Broken Bones
- Cuts, Bruises, and Skin Abrasions
- Mental Health Injuries
Motor vehicle accidents are one of the leading causes of traumatic brain injuries. If you have been in a Jefferson City, MO pedestrian accident where you hit your head, you need to look out for any of the following symptoms of TBI, as they can escalate quickly in Jefferson City, MO, and turn life-threatening:
Motor vehicle accidents are the number one cause of spinal cord injuries in the U.S. The severity of a collision from a Jefferson City, MO pedestrian accident can cause serious swelling that can ultimately result in permanent paralysis. Symptoms of a spinal cord injury in Jefferson City, MO include:
The human body is not made to sustain the force of a 2,000-plus-pound vehicle. For this reason alone, broken bones are commonplace in Jefferson City, MO pedestrian accidents.
Cuts and bruises might seem relatively minor after a Jefferson City, MO pedestrian accident, but they can lead to severe complications, including infections.
There is no way to completely realize how someone feels in the aftermath of a traumatic Jefferson City, MO pedestrian accident. We all work through feelings and emotions differently. After a Jefferson City, MO pedestrian accident, it is routine to feel rage, sadness, and confusion. If you are having difficulty after a pedestrian accident in Jefferson City, MO, do not hesitate reaching out for help. Our pedestrian accident lawyer can put you in touch with the right professionals. Give us a call today at 636-333-1717 or contact us in confidence.
How Do I Prove Who Is Liable for My Injuries In a Jefferson City, MO Pedestrian Accident?
To prove that a driver was at fault for causing your Jefferson City, MO pedestrian accident injuries, your pedestrian accident lawyer near Jefferson City, MO, must show the following:
- The at-fault driver owed you a duty of care to drive their vehicle safely and legally.
- The driver breached their duty of care when they took an action that violated the duty of care.
- This breach of duty resulted in a pedestrian accident that injured you, and your injury caused economic and noneconomic damages.
Your Jefferson City, MO Pedestrian Accident Lawyer | Missouri Injury Law Firm
The pedestrian accident lawyers at Missouri Injury Law have dedicated their careers to fighting for Jefferson City, MO residents who have been injured as a result of a driver’s recklessness. We care about making sure that you and your family are stress free while we fight for maximum compensation for your Jefferson City, MO injuries and damages. Read what our Jefferson City, MO clients have to say about our legal representation.
Phone one of our Jefferson City, MO pedestrian accident attorneys at Missouri Injury Law today at 636-333-1717 or contact us online for a free and no-risk case review near Jefferson City, MO.