Pedestrian Accident Lawyer Jefferson County, MO
Serving All Missouri Personal Injury VictimsView Full Service Area
Pedestrian Accident Lawyer Jefferson County, MO. As a pedestrian, you should never have to fear for your safety simply walking on the sidewalk or roadside. In Jefferson County, MO, there are laws in place to protect you, designed to allow pedestrians and motor vehicles to share the same space. Somehow though, day after day, Jefferson County, MO accidents between motorists and pedestrians continue to happen.
If you or a loved one has been injured in a Jefferson County, MO pedestrian accident, call the Missouri Injury Law Firm immediately at 636-333-1717 or reach out to us for a complimentary, confidential consultation. Our Jefferson County, MO pedestrian accident lawyer will meet with you as soon as possible near Jefferson County, MO to discuss your case and protect your interests. If you have suffered injuries and have lost work and wages because of the Jefferson County, MO accident, you deserve an expert pedestrian accident lawyer from Missouri Injury Law fighting in your corner.
What Are My Rights After a Jefferson County, MO Pedestrian Accident?
If you have been injured in a Jefferson County, MO pedestrian accident, you may have a right to recover damages under state law. In Missouri, accident victims have five years from the date of the incident to file a personal injury suit against the at-fault party. In Illinois, you have two years to file a claim. After your accident, don’t wait to call our Jefferson County, MO professional pedestrian accident lawyer at 636-333-1717 or reach out to us to help you understand your rights and assist you in fighting for the compensation you deserve.
Damages may include, but are not limited to:
- Medical costs — Serious Jefferson County, MO injuries can run up thousands of dollars in medical costs. Covered costs differ from case to case but often include:
- Doctor visits
- Medical devices
- Follow-up care
- Pain and suffering — Jefferson County, MO pedestrian accidents can create dire physical and emotional pain. When an injury or accident near Jefferson County, MO, causes you physical and emotional stress, the law permits you to claim these as damages. A few examples include:
- Loss of enjoyment
- Lost wages — If you suffer a serious injury in Jefferson County, MO, you might not be able to return to your job immediately. In the event you can’t return to work, your Jefferson County, MO pedestrian accident lawyer may request future wages.
- Wrongful death — Sadly and unfortunately, some Jefferson County, MO pedestrian accidents may be too severe for your loved one. In this case, you or a family member near Jefferson County, MO, may have a wrongful death claim. This type of claim may include:
- Pain and suffering
- Medical costs
- Lost wages
- Loss of guidance
- Loss of consortium
- Outstanding medical costs
How Common Are Jefferson County, MO Pedestrian Accidents?
According to a recent report from the Governors Highway Safety Association, there were an estimated 7,485 pedestrian deaths in 2021, an increase of 11.5 percent from the previous year. This is the largest number of pedestrian fatalities in four decades. From 2010-2020, pedestrian deaths increased by 54 percent while other traffic deaths combined for an increase of 13 percent.
Alongside the GHSA data, the report also studied the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's (NHTSA) Fatality Analysis Reporting System to further probe safety trends. The analysis revealed a troubling statistic: The percentage of speeding-related pedestrian deaths among children younger than 15 in has more than doubled since 2018, from 5.8% to 11.9%.
There were 1,341 reported pedestrian accidents in 2021 in Missouri alone, injuring 1,118 and 132 deaths, via the Missouri State Highway Patrol.
Because of these staggering and unsettling numbers, the NHTSA and the Federal Highway Administration started “Everyone is a Pedestrian” to curb accidents. The initiative offers resources, including these safety tips for Jefferson County, MO pedestrian and drivers:
8 Safety Tips for Jefferson County, MO Drivers
- Look out for Jefferson County, MO pedestrians everywhere, at all times.
- Use extreme caution when driving in hard-to-see situations, such as nighttime or bad weather in Jefferson County, MO.
- Slow down and be ready to stop when turning or otherwise entering a Jefferson County, MO crosswalk.
- Yield to pedestrians in crosswalks and stop well back from the crosswalk to give other Jefferson County, MO vehicles an opportunity to see the crossing pedestrians so they can stop, too.
- Never pass vehicles stopped at a Jefferson County, MO crosswalk. There may be individuals crossing where you can’t see.
- Never drive under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs in Jefferson County, MO.
- Follow the speed limit, particularly around people on the street, in school zones, and in Jefferson County, MO neighborhoods where children are present.
- Be extremely cautious when backing up and be on the look out for Jefferson County, MO pedestrians.
8 Safety Tips for Jefferson County, MO Pedestrians
- Follow the rules of the road and obey all of the signs and signals in Jefferson County, MO.
- Walk on Jefferson County, MO sidewalks whenever they are available.
- If there is no sidewalk, walk facing traffic and as far from traffic as possible.
- Cross streets at crosswalks or intersections in Jefferson County, MO. Look for cars in all directions, including those turning left or right.
- If there is no crosswalk or intersection, find an illuminated area where you have the best view of Jefferson County, MO traffic. Wait for a lapse in traffic allowing enough time to cross safely; keep watching for traffic as you cross.
- Watch for Jefferson County, MO cars entering or exiting driveways, or backing up in parking lots.
- Avoid alcohol and drugs when walking in Jefferson County, MO; they impair your abilities and your judgment.
- Welcome walking as a healthy form of transportation in Jefferson County, MO — get up, get out, and get moving.
What Are the Common Causes of Jefferson County, MO Pedestrian Accidents?
There is no minimizing it, Jefferson County, MO pedestrian accidents are scary. In addition to the GHSA and NHTSA reports of increasing pedestrian accidents year-to-year, our Jefferson County, MO pedestrian accident attorneys have seen the injuries becoming more and more severe. The Missouri Injury legal team can help you or your loved one in Jefferson County, MO receive the compensation you are due under the law. Common causes of Jefferson County, MO pedestrian accidents are:
Speeding is dangerous. But, it is one of the most common reckless behaviors drivers participate in on the road in and around Jefferson County, MO. On average, speeding contributes to approximately 30 percent of U.S. traffic fatalities annually. A collision with a pedestrian can be catastrophic under normal speeds. When a Jefferson County, MO motor vehicle is speeding, the results can be deadly. Not only does speeding increase the risk of injury or death in Jefferson County, MO, it increases the chance of an accident occurring at all. A speeding vehicle needs more time to stop. The Jefferson County, MO driver also has less time to act. By the time a Jefferson County, MO pedestrian realizes a speeding driver is getting close, they may have little time to react.
We all have seen the warnings about texting and driving in and around Jefferson County, MO. Sending or receiving a text takes a Jefferson County, MO driver’s attention off the road for at least 5 seconds. During that time, which, at 55 mph, equates to driving the length of a football field with your eyes closed, a pedestrian could be crossing the street; a light could turn red… so many things could happen. In addition to texting, other causes of Jefferson County, MO distracted driving are:
- Adjusting the radio
- Talking to passengers
- Talking on the phone (even with a hands-free device)
- Navigation systems
Driving Under the Influence
Driving under the influence is reckless. Approximately 32 people die every day in the U.S. because of a drunk driver, according to the NHTSA. Worst of all, these deaths were all preventable. Driving under the influence in Jefferson County, MO impedes an individual’s decision-making skills and can affect motor reflexes. Other dangers in Jefferson County, MO are:
- Difficulty concentrating
- Blurry vision
- Delayed reaction time
- Reduced ability to track moving objects
- Decreased alertness
- Inability to multitask
Failure to Yield the Right of Way
Jefferson County, MO pedestrians depend on Jefferson County, MO drivers to obey right of way laws. When a driver fails to yield the right of way, a Jefferson County, MO pedestrian has little time to act. Accidents at intersections, when a driver runs through a traffic device or when they fail to look for pedestrians before making a turn, are commonplace failures to yield the right of way.
Bad weather, darkness, sunlight, or structural obstructions in Jefferson County, MO can cause poor visibility for drivers. During these types of conditions, drivers need to use extreme caution. Things a Jefferson County, MO driver can do to lessen the risk of an accident include:
- Reduce driving speed
- Limit distractions
- Ensure safety devices, including headlights, are in working order
- Pay extra attention to hazards and pedestrians
- Allow extra following distance
- Yield at intersections
What is My Jefferson County, MO Pedestrian Accident Worth?
While the only way to correctly evaluate the kinds of damages in any injury claim is through an intricate investigation of the case, our Jefferson County, MO pedestrian accident lawyer can help you understand what your case might be worth by gauging:
- The particular circumstances of your Jefferson County, MO pedestrian accident
- Who was at fault and if you shared any blame
- The kind of injuries sustained and their severity
- Whether you suffered permanent impairment, disability, or disfigurement
- How your injuries affect your quality of life moving forward
- The strength of your negligence case
- The amount of insurance coverage available
What Are Common Jefferson County, MO Pedestrian Accident Injuries?
A Jefferson County, MO pedestrian is no match for any type of motor vehicle, no matter the size or scenario. If you have been struck by a car or a truck, or even a golf cart, your well-being is the number one priority. At Missouri Injury Law, our team of Jefferson County, MO pedestrian accident attorneys can help introduce you to the care you need and fight for the compensation you and your family are entitled to. Several of these injuries may or may not be obvious at the time of the Jefferson County, MO accident. If you show any symptoms of a significant condition, seek medical attention as soon as possible. And then call a pedestrian accident lawyer at Missouri Injury Law as soon as possible at 636-333-1717 or contact us. Common injuries after a Jefferson County, MO pedestrian accident include:
- Brain Injuries
- Difficulty concentrating
- Mood changes
- Changes in sleep patterns
- Spinal Cord Injuries
- Extreme neck or back pain
- Numbness or tingling
- Difficulty walking
- Difficulty breathing
- Loss of bowel or bladder control
- Severe neck or back distortion
- Broken Bones
- Cuts, Bruises, and Skin Abrasions
- Mental Health Injuries
Motor vehicle accidents are one of the leading causes of traumatic brain injuries. If you have been in a Jefferson County, MO pedestrian accident where you hit your head, you need to look out for any of the following symptoms of TBI, as they can quickly ramp up in Jefferson County, MO, and turn life-threatening:
Motor vehicle accidents are the number one cause of spinal cord injuries in the U.S. The severity of a collision from a Jefferson County, MO pedestrian accident can cause serious swelling that could ultimately result in permanent paralysis. Symptoms of a spinal cord injury in Jefferson County, MO include:
The human body is not made to sustain the force of a 2,000-plus-pound vehicle. For this reason alone, broken bones are commonplace in Jefferson County, MO pedestrian accidents.
Cuts and bruises may seem like minor injuries after a Jefferson County, MO pedestrian accident, but they can lead to major complications, including infections.
There is no way to truly realize how someone feels in the aftermath of a traumatic Jefferson County, MO pedestrian accident. We all experience feelings and emotions differently. After a Jefferson County, MO pedestrian accident, it is routine to feel intense anger, sadness, and confusion. If you are having difficulty after a pedestrian accident in Jefferson County, MO, don’t hesitate to reach out for help. Our pedestrian accident lawyer can put you in contact with the right professionals. Give us a call today at 636-333-1717 or contact us in confidence.
How Do I Prove Who Is Liable for My Injuries In a Jefferson County, MO Pedestrian Accident?
To prove that a driver was at fault for causing your Jefferson County, MO pedestrian accident injuries, your pedestrian accident lawyer near Jefferson County, MO, must prove the following:
- The at-fault driver owed you a duty of care to drive their vehicle safely and legally.
- The driver breached their duty of care when they took an action that violated the duty of care.
- This breach of duty resulted in a pedestrian accident that injured you, and your injury caused economic and noneconomic damages.
Your Jefferson County, MO Pedestrian Accident Lawyer | Missouri Injury Law Firm
The pedestrian accident lawyers at Missouri Injury Law have devoted their livelihoods to fighting for Jefferson County, MO residents who have been injured as a result of a driver’s recklessness. We are passionate about guaranteeing that you and your family are stress free while we fight for maximum compensation for your Jefferson County, MO injuries and damages. Read what our Jefferson County, MO clients feel about our legal representation.