Pedestrian Accident Lawyer Kansas City, MO
Serving All Missouri Personal Injury VictimsView Full Service Area
Pedestrian Accident Lawyer Kansas City, MO. As a pedestrian, you should never have to be concerned for your safety simply walking on the sidewalk or roadside. In Kansas City, MO, there are laws in place to protect you, designed to allow pedestrians and motor vehicles to share the same space. Somehow though, several times a day, Kansas City, MO accidents between motorists and pedestrians still happen.
If you or a loved one has been involved in a Kansas City, MO pedestrian accident, call the Missouri Injury Law Firm immediately at 636-333-1717 or reach out to us for a complimentary, confidential consultation. Our Kansas City, MO pedestrian accident lawyer will meet with you as soon as possible near Kansas City, MO to discuss your case and protect your interests. If you have suffered injuries and have lost work and wages because of the Kansas City, MO accident, you deserve an expert pedestrian accident lawyer from Missouri Injury Law standing by your side.
What Are My Rights Following a Kansas City, MO Pedestrian Accident?
If you have been injured in a Kansas City, MO pedestrian accident, you may have a right to recover damages under state law. In Missouri, accident victims have five years from the date of the incident to file a personal injury suit against the at-fault party. In Illinois, you have two years to file a claim. After your accident, don’t hesitate to call our Kansas City, MO professional pedestrian accident attorney at 636-333-1717 or reach out to us to assist in understanding your rights and helping you fight for the compensation you deserve.
Damages may include, but are not limited to:
- Medical costs — Severe Kansas City, MO injuries can incur thousands of dollars in medical costs. Covered costs vary from case to case but frequently include:
- Doctor visits
- Medical devices
- Follow-up care
- Pain and suffering — Kansas City, MO pedestrian accidents can cause severe physical and emotional pain. When an injury or accident near Kansas City, MO, causes you physical and emotional stress, the law allows you to claim these as damages. A few examples include:
- Loss of enjoyment
- Lost wages — If you suffer a serious injury in Kansas City, MO, you might not be able to return to work as soon as you might like. In the event you can’t return to work, your Kansas City, MO pedestrian accident lawyer may request future wages.
- Wrongful death — Sadly and unfortunately, some Kansas City, MO pedestrian accidents may be too severe for your loved one. In such a case, you or a family member near Kansas City, MO, may have a wrongful death case. This kind of claim may include:
- Pain and suffering
- Medical costs
- Lost wages
- Loss of guidance
- Loss of consortium
- Outstanding medical costs
How Common Are Kansas City, MO Pedestrian Accidents?
According to a recent report from the Governors Highway Safety Association, there were an estimated 7,485 pedestrian deaths in 2021, an increase of 11.5 percent from the previous year. This is the largest number of pedestrian fatalities in four decades. From 2010-2020, pedestrian deaths increased by 54 percent while other traffic deaths combined for an increase of 13 percent.
In addition to the GHSA data, the report also analyzed the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's (NHTSA) Fatality Analysis Reporting System to further review safety trends. The analysis showed a staggering statistic: The percentage of speeding-related pedestrian deaths among children younger than 15 in has more than doubled since 2018, from 5.8% to 11.9%.
There were 1,341 reported pedestrian accidents in 2021 in Missouri alone, with 1,118 injuries and killing 132 individuals, via the Missouri State Highway Patrol.
Because of these staggering and unsettling numbers, the NHTSA and the Federal Highway Administration launched “Everyone is a Pedestrian” to curb accidents. The organization offers resources, including the following safety tips for Kansas City, MO pedestrian and drivers:
8 Safety Tips for Kansas City, MO Drivers
- Look out for Kansas City, MO pedestrians everywhere, at all times.
- Use extreme caution when driving in hard-to-see conditions, such as nighttime or bad weather in Kansas City, MO.
- Slow down and be ready to stop when turning or otherwise entering a Kansas City, MO crosswalk.
- Yield to pedestrians in crosswalks and stop well back from the crosswalk to give other Kansas City, MO vehicles an opportunity to see the crossing pedestrians so they can stop, too.
- Never pass vehicles stopped at a Kansas City, MO crosswalk. There might be individuals crossing where you can’t see.
- Never drive under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs in Kansas City, MO.
- Follow the speed limit, particularly around people on the street, in school zones, and in Kansas City, MO neighborhoods where children are present.
- Be extra cautious when backing up and look for Kansas City, MO pedestrians.
8 Safety Tips for Kansas City, MO Pedestrians
- Follow the rules of the road and obey all of the signs and signals in Kansas City, MO.
- Walk on Kansas City, MO sidewalks whenever they are available.
- If there is no sidewalk, walk facing traffic and as far from traffic as possible.
- Cross streets at crosswalks or intersections in Kansas City, MO. Look for cars in all directions, including those turning left or right.
- If there is no crosswalk or intersection, locate a well-lit area where you have the optimal view of Kansas City, MO traffic. Wait for a lapse in traffic that allows enough time to cross safely; keep watching for traffic as you cross.
- Watch for Kansas City, MO vehicles entering or exiting driveways, or backing up in parking lots.
- Avoid alcohol and drugs when walking in Kansas City, MO; they impair your abilities and your judgment.
- Welcome walking as a healthy form of transportation in Kansas City, MO — get up, get out, and get moving.
What Are the Common Causes of Kansas City, MO Pedestrian Accidents?
There is no minimizing it, Kansas City, MO pedestrian accidents are scary. In addition to the GHSA and NHTSA reports of increasing annual pedestrian accidents, our Kansas City, MO pedestrian accident attorneys have seen a rise in the severity of the injuries. The Missouri Injury legal team can help you or your loved one in Kansas City, MO receive the compensation you are entitled to under the law. Common causes of Kansas City, MO pedestrian accidents are:
Speeding is dangerous. But, it is one of the most common reckless behaviors drivers participate in on the road in and around Kansas City, MO. On average, speeding contributes to approximately 30 percent of U.S. traffic fatalities annually. Under normal speeds, a collision with a pedestrian can be catastrophic. When a Kansas City, MO vehicle is speeding, the results can be deadly. Not only does speeding increase the risk of injury or death in Kansas City, MO, it increases the chance of an accident occurring at all. A speeding vehicle needs more time to stop. The Kansas City, MO driver also has less time to act. By the time a Kansas City, MO pedestrian realizes a speeding driver is approaching, they may have little time to react.
We all have heard the warnings about texting and driving in and around Kansas City, MO. Sending or receiving a text takes a Kansas City, MO driver’s attention off the road for at least 5 seconds. In that amount of time, which, at 55 mph, equates to driving the length of a football field with your eyes closed, a pedestrian could be crossing the street; a light could turn red… so many things could happen. Along with texting, other causes of Kansas City, MO distracted driving are:
- Adjusting the radio
- Talking to passengers
- Talking on the phone (even with a hands-free device)
- Navigation systems
Driving Under the Influence
Driving under the influence is reckless. Approximately 32 people die every day in the U.S. because of a drunk driver, according to the NHTSA. Worst of all, these deaths were all preventable. Driving under the influence in Kansas City, MO hinders a person’s decision-making skills and can affect motor reflexes. Other dangers in Kansas City, MO are:
- Difficulty concentrating
- Blurry vision
- Delayed reaction time
- Reduced ability to track moving objects
- Decreased alertness
- Inability to multitask
Failure to Yield the Right of Way
Kansas City, MO pedestrians depend on Kansas City, MO drivers to obey right of way laws. When a driver fails to yield the right of way, a Kansas City, MO pedestrian has little time to react. Accidents at intersections, when a driver runs through a traffic device or when they fail to look for pedestrians before making a turn, are commonplace failures to yield the right of way.
Bad weather, darkness, sunlight, or structural obstructions in Kansas City, MO can create poor visibility for drivers. During these kinds of conditions, drivers need to exercise extreme caution. Things a Kansas City, MO driver can do to limit the risk of an accident include:
- Reduce driving speed
- Limit distractions
- Make sure safety devices, including headlights, are in working order
- Pay extra attention to hazards and pedestrians
- Allow extra following distance
- Yield at intersections
What is My Kansas City, MO Pedestrian Accident Worth?
While the only way to correctly evaluate the kinds of damages in any injury claim is through a careful investigation of the case, our Kansas City, MO pedestrian accident lawyer can help you understand what your case may be worth by gauging:
- The specific circumstances of your Kansas City, MO pedestrian accident
- Who was at fault and if you shared any blame
- The type of injuries sustained and their severity
- Whether you suffered permanent impairment, disability, or disfigurement
- How your injuries affect your quality of life moving forward
- The strength of your negligence case
- The amount of insurance coverage available
What Are Common Kansas City, MO Pedestrian Accident Injuries?
A Kansas City, MO pedestrian is no match for any sort of motor vehicle, no matter the size or scenario. If you have been struck by a car or a truck, or even a golf cart, your safety is the number one priority. At Missouri Injury Law, our team of Kansas City, MO pedestrian accident attorneys can help direct you to the care you need and fight for the compensation you and your loved ones deserve. Several of these injuries may or may not be obvious at the time of the Kansas City, MO accident. If you show any symptoms of a serious condition, seek medical attention immediately. And then phone a pedestrian accident lawyer at Missouri Injury Law as soon as possible at 636-333-1717 or contact us. Common injuries after a Kansas City, MO pedestrian accident include:
- Brain Injuries
- Difficulty concentrating
- Mood changes
- Changes in sleep patterns
- Spinal Cord Injuries
- Extreme neck or back pain
- Numbness or tingling
- Difficulty walking
- Difficulty breathing
- Loss of bowel or bladder control
- Severe neck or back distortion
- Broken Bones
- Cuts, Bruises, and Skin Abrasions
- Mental Health Injuries
Motor vehicle accidents are one of the leading causes of traumatic brain injuries. If you have been in a Kansas City, MO pedestrian accident where you bumped your head, you need to watch for any of the following symptoms of TBI, as they can escalate quickly in Kansas City, MO, and become life-threatening:
Motor vehicle accidents are the number one cause of spinal cord injuries in the U.S. The severity of a collision from a Kansas City, MO pedestrian accident can cause serious swelling that can ultimately result in permanent paralysis. Symptoms of a spinal cord injury in Kansas City, MO include:
The human body is not designed to sustain the force of a 2,000-plus-pound vehicle. For this reason alone, broken bones are commonplace in Kansas City, MO pedestrian accidents.
Cuts and bruises may seem like minor injuries after a Kansas City, MO pedestrian accident, but they can lead to serious complications, including infections.
There is no way to completely understand how someone feels in the aftermath of a traumatic Kansas City, MO pedestrian accident. We all deal with feelings and emotions differently. After a Kansas City, MO pedestrian accident, it is normal to feel intense anger, sadness, and confusion. If you are having a hard time after a pedestrian accident in Kansas City, MO, do not hesitate reaching out for help. Our pedestrian accident lawyer can put you in touch with the right professionals. Give us a call today at 636-333-1717 or contact us in confidence.
How Do I Prove Who Is Liable for My Injuries In a Kansas City, MO Pedestrian Accident?
To prove that a driver was at fault for causing your Kansas City, MO pedestrian accident injuries, your pedestrian accident lawyer near Kansas City, MO, must prove the following:
- The at-fault driver owed you a duty of care to drive their vehicle safely and legally.
- The driver breached their duty of care when they took an action that violated the duty of care.
- This breach of duty resulted in a pedestrian accident that injured you, and your injury caused economic and noneconomic damages.
Your Kansas City, MO Pedestrian Accident Lawyer | Missouri Injury Law Firm
The pedestrian accident lawyers at Missouri Injury Law have dedicated their livelihoods to fighting for Kansas City, MO residents who have been injured due to a driver’s carelessness. We are passionate about guaranteeing that you and your family are stress free while we fight for maximum compensation for your Kansas City, MO injuries and damages. Read what our Kansas City, MO clients have to say about our legal representation.