Pedestrian Accident Lawyer Lake of the Ozarks, MO
Serving All Missouri Personal Injury VictimsView Full Service Area
Pedestrian Accident Lawyer Lake of the Ozarks, MO. As a pedestrian, you should not have to be concerned for your safety simply walking on the sidewalk or roadside. In Lake of the Ozarks, MO, there are laws in place to protect you, designed to allow pedestrians and motor vehicles to share the same space. Somehow though, day after day, Lake of the Ozarks, MO accidents between motorists and pedestrians continue to happen.
If you or a loved one has been injured in a Lake of the Ozarks, MO pedestrian accident, call the Missouri Injury Law Firm immediately at 636-333-1717 or contact us for a complimentary, confidential consultation. Our Lake of the Ozarks, MO pedestrian accident lawyer will meet with you as soon as possible near Lake of the Ozarks, MO to discuss your case and protect your interests. If you have sustained injuries and have lost work and wages because of the Lake of the Ozarks, MO accident, you deserve an expert pedestrian accident lawyer from Missouri Injury Law standing by your side.
What Are My Rights Following a Lake of the Ozarks, MO Pedestrian Accident?
If you have been injured in a Lake of the Ozarks, MO pedestrian accident, you may be able to recover damages under state law. In Missouri, accident victims have five years from the date of the accident to file a personal injury suit against the at-fault party. In Illinois, you have two years to file a claim. After your accident, don’t hesitate to call our Lake of the Ozarks, MO professional pedestrian accident attorney at 636-333-1717 or reach out to us to help you understand your rights and assist you in fighting for the compensation you deserve.
Damages may include, but are not limited to:
- Medical costs — Severe Lake of the Ozarks, MO injuries can run up thousands of dollars in medical costs. Covered costs vary from case to case but often include:
- Doctor visits
- Medical devices
- Follow-up care
- Pain and suffering — Lake of the Ozarks, MO pedestrian accidents can cause severe physical and emotional pain. When an injury or accident near Lake of the Ozarks, MO, brings about physical and emotional stress, the law permits you to claim these as damages. Some examples are:
- Loss of enjoyment
- Lost wages — If you sustain a serious injury in Lake of the Ozarks, MO, you may not be able to return to work right away. In the event you can’t get back to work, your Lake of the Ozarks, MO pedestrian accident lawyer may ask for future wages.
- Wrongful death — Sadly and unfortunately, some Lake of the Ozarks, MO pedestrian accidents may be too severe for your loved one. In this case, you or a family member near Lake of the Ozarks, MO, may have a wrongful death case. This type of claim may include:
- Pain and suffering
- Medical costs
- Lost wages
- Loss of guidance
- Loss of consortium
- Outstanding medical costs
How Common Are Lake of the Ozarks, MO Pedestrian Accidents?
According to a recent report from the Governors Highway Safety Association, there were an estimated 7,485 pedestrian deaths in 2021, an increase of 11.5 percent from the previous year. This is the largest number of pedestrian fatalities in four decades. From 2010-2020, pedestrian deaths increased by 54 percent while other traffic deaths combined for an increase of 13 percent.
Alongside the GHSA data, the report also studied the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's (NHTSA) Fatality Analysis Reporting System to further probe safety trends. The research showed a troubling statistic: The percentage of speeding-related pedestrian deaths among children younger than 15 in has more than doubled since 2018, from 5.8% to 11.9%.
There were 1,341 reported pedestrian accidents in 2021 in Missouri alone, injuring 1,118 and killing 132 individuals, via the Missouri State Highway Patrol.
Because of these staggering and unsettling numbers, the NHTSA and the Federal Highway Administration started “Everyone is a Pedestrian” to curb accidents. The organization offers resources, including the following safety tips for Lake of the Ozarks, MO pedestrian and drivers:
8 Safety Tips for Lake of the Ozarks, MO Drivers
- Look out for Lake of the Ozarks, MO pedestrians everywhere, at all times.
- Use extreme caution when driving in hard-to-see situations, like nighttime or bad weather in Lake of the Ozarks, MO.
- Slow down and be ready to stop when turning or otherwise entering a Lake of the Ozarks, MO crosswalk.
- Yield to pedestrians in crosswalks and stop well back from the crosswalk to give other Lake of the Ozarks, MO vehicles an opportunity to see the crossing pedestrians so they can stop, too.
- Never pass vehicles stopped at a Lake of the Ozarks, MO crosswalk. There may be individuals crossing where you can’t see.
- Never drive under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs in Lake of the Ozarks, MO.
- Follow the speed limit, especially around people on the street, in school zones, and in Lake of the Ozarks, MO neighborhoods where children are present.
- Be extra cautious when backing up and be on the look out for Lake of the Ozarks, MO pedestrians.
8 Safety Tips for Lake of the Ozarks, MO Pedestrians
- Follow the rules of the road and obey all signs and signals in Lake of the Ozarks, MO.
- Walk on Lake of the Ozarks, MO sidewalks whenever they are available.
- If there is no sidewalk, walk facing traffic and as far from traffic as possible.
- Cross streets at crosswalks or intersections in Lake of the Ozarks, MO. Look for cars in all directions, including those turning left or right.
- If a crosswalk or intersection is not available, locate a well-lit area where you have the best view of Lake of the Ozarks, MO traffic. Wait for a lapse in traffic allowing sufficient time to cross safely; keep looking for traffic as you cross.
- Watch for Lake of the Ozarks, MO vehicles entering or exiting driveways, or reversing in parking lots.
- Avoid alcohol and drugs when walking in Lake of the Ozarks, MO; they impair your abilities and your judgment.
- Welcome walking as a healthy form of transportation in Lake of the Ozarks, MO — get up, get out, and get moving.
What Are the Common Causes of Lake of the Ozarks, MO Pedestrian Accidents?
There is no sugarcoating it, Lake of the Ozarks, MO pedestrian accidents are scary. In addition to the GHSA and NHTSA reports of increased pedestrian accidents year-to-year, our Lake of the Ozarks, MO pedestrian accident lawyers have seen the injuries becoming more and more severe. The Missouri Injury legal team can help you or your loved one in Lake of the Ozarks, MO receive the compensation you are due under the law. Common causes of Lake of the Ozarks, MO pedestrian accidents include:
Speeding is dangerous. However, it is one of the most common reckless behaviors drivers participate in on the road in and around Lake of the Ozarks, MO. On average, speeding contributes to approximately 30 percent of annual U.S. traffic fatalities. A collision with a pedestrian can be catastrophic under normal speeds. When a Lake of the Ozarks, MO driver is speeding, the results can be deadly. Not only does speeding increase the risk of injury or death in Lake of the Ozarks, MO, it increases the chance of an accident occurring at all. A speeding vehicle needs more time to stop. The Lake of the Ozarks, MO driver also has less time to act. By the time a Lake of the Ozarks, MO pedestrian notices a speeding driver is approaching, they essentially have little time to react.
We all have heard the warnings about texting and driving in and around Lake of the Ozarks, MO. Sending or receiving a text takes a Lake of the Ozarks, MO driver’s attention off the road for around 5 seconds. During that time, which, at 55 mph, equates to driving the length of a football field with your eyes closed, a pedestrian could be crossing the street; a light could turn red… so many things could happen. Along with texting, other causes of Lake of the Ozarks, MO distracted driving are:
- Adjusting the radio
- Talking to passengers
- Talking on the phone (even with a hands-free device)
- Navigation systems
Driving Under the Influence
Driving under the influence is careless. Approximately 32 people die every day in the U.S. because of a drunk driver, according to the NHTSA. Worse still, these deaths were all preventable. Driving under the influence in Lake of the Ozarks, MO impairs a person’s decision-making skills and can affect motor reflexes. Other dangers in Lake of the Ozarks, MO are:
- Difficulty concentrating
- Blurry vision
- Delayed reaction time
- Reduced ability to track moving objects
- Decreased alertness
- Inability to multitask
Failure to Yield the Right of Way
Lake of the Ozarks, MO pedestrians depend on Lake of the Ozarks, MO drivers to follow right of way laws. When a driver fails to yield the right of way, a Lake of the Ozarks, MO pedestrian has little time to react. Failure to yield the right of way commonly causes accidents at intersections, when a driver runs through a traffic device or when they fail to look for pedestrians before making a turn.
Bad weather, darkness, sunlight, or structural obstructions in Lake of the Ozarks, MO can cause poor visibility for drivers. During these types of situations, drivers need to exercise extra caution. Things a Lake of the Ozarks, MO driver can do to limit the risk of an accident include:
- Reduce driving speed
- Limit distractions
- Ensure safety devices, including headlights, are in working order
- Pay extra attention to hazards and pedestrians
- Allow extra following distance
- Slow at intersections
What is My Lake of the Ozarks, MO Pedestrian Accident Worth?
While the only way to correctly assess the kinds of damages in any injury claim is through a diligent investigation of the case, our Lake of the Ozarks, MO pedestrian accident lawyer can assist you in understanding what your case may be worth by assessing:
- The particular circumstances of your Lake of the Ozarks, MO pedestrian accident
- Who was at fault and if you shared any blame
- The kind of injuries sustained and their severity
- Whether you suffered permanent impairment, disability, or disfigurement
- How your injuries affect your quality of life moving forward
- The strength of your negligence case
- The amount of insurance coverage available
What Are Common Lake of the Ozarks, MO Pedestrian Accident Injuries?
A Lake of the Ozarks, MO pedestrian is no match for any sort of motor vehicle, no matter the size or scenario. If you have been hit by a car or a truck, or even a golf cart, your well-being is the number one priority. At Missouri Injury Law, our team of Lake of the Ozarks, MO pedestrian accident attorneys can help direct you to the care you need and fight for the compensation you and your family are entitled to. Several of these injuries may or may not be obvious at the time of the Lake of the Ozarks, MO accident. If you experience any symptoms of a significant condition, seek medical attention as soon as possible. And then call a pedestrian accident lawyer at Missouri Injury Law immediately at 636-333-1717 or contact us. Common injuries after a Lake of the Ozarks, MO pedestrian accident are:
- Brain Injuries
- Difficulty concentrating
- Mood changes
- Changes in sleep patterns
- Spinal Cord Injuries
- Severe neck or back pain
- Numbness or tingling
- Difficulty walking
- Difficulty breathing
- Loss of bowel or bladder control
- Severe neck or back distortion
- Broken Bones
- Cuts, Bruises, and Skin Abrasions
- Mental Health Injuries
Motor vehicle accidents are one of the leading causes of traumatic brain injuries. If you have been in a Lake of the Ozarks, MO pedestrian accident where you bumped your head, you need to look out for any of the following symptoms of TBI, as they can quickly ramp up in Lake of the Ozarks, MO, and turn life-threatening:
Motor vehicle accidents are the number one cause of spinal cord injuries in the U.S. The severity of the impact of a Lake of the Ozarks, MO pedestrian accident can cause serious swelling that can ultimately result in permanent paralysis. Symptoms of a spinal cord injury in Lake of the Ozarks, MO include:
The human body is not designed to sustain the force of a 2,000-plus-pound vehicle. For this reason alone, broken bones are commonplace in Lake of the Ozarks, MO pedestrian accidents.
Cuts and bruises may seem like minor injuries after a Lake of the Ozarks, MO pedestrian accident, but they can lead to serious complications, including infections.
There is no way to completely understand how someone feels in the aftermath of a traumatic Lake of the Ozarks, MO pedestrian accident. We all experience feelings and emotions differently. Following a Lake of the Ozarks, MO pedestrian accident, it is normal to feel intense anger, sadness, and confusion. If you are having a hard time after a pedestrian accident in Lake of the Ozarks, MO, do not hesitate to reach out for help. Our pedestrian accident lawyer can put you in touch with the right people. Give us a call today at 636-333-1717 or contact us in confidence.
How Do I Prove Who Is Liable for My Injuries In a Lake of the Ozarks, MO Pedestrian Accident?
To prove that a driver was at fault for causing your Lake of the Ozarks, MO pedestrian accident injuries, your pedestrian accident lawyer near Lake of the Ozarks, MO, must prove the following:
- The at-fault driver owed you a duty of care to drive their vehicle safely and legally.
- The driver breached their duty of care when they took an action that violated the duty of care.
- This breach of duty resulted in a pedestrian accident that injured you, and your injury caused economic and noneconomic damages.
Your Lake of the Ozarks, MO Pedestrian Accident Lawyer | Missouri Injury Law Firm
The pedestrian accident lawyers at Missouri Injury Law have dedicated their livelihoods to fighting for Lake of the Ozarks, MO residents who have been injured as a result of a driver’s carelessness. We care about making sure that you and your family have little to worry about while we fight for complete compensation for your Lake of the Ozarks, MO injuries and damages. See what our Lake of the Ozarks, MO clients feel about our legal representation.