Pedestrian Accident Lawyer Lemay, MO
Serving All Missouri Personal Injury VictimsView Full Service Area
Pedestrian Accident Lawyer Lemay, MO. As a pedestrian, you should not have to fear for your safety simply strolling down the sidewalk or roadside. In Lemay, MO, there are laws in place to protect you, designed to allow pedestrians and motor vehicles to share the same space. Somehow though, several times a day, Lemay, MO accidents between motorists and pedestrians still occur.
If you or someone you love has been injured in a Lemay, MO pedestrian accident, call the Missouri Injury Law Firm immediately at 636-333-1717 or reach out to us for a complimentary, confidential consultation. Our Lemay, MO pedestrian accident lawyer will meet with you as soon as possible near Lemay, MO to discuss your case and protect your interests. If you have suffered injuries and have lost work and wages because of the Lemay, MO accident, you deserve an expert pedestrian accident lawyer from Missouri Injury Law standing by your side.
What Are My Rights Following a Lemay, MO Pedestrian Accident?
If you’ve been injured in a Lemay, MO pedestrian accident, you may have a right to recover damages under state law. In Missouri, accident victims have five years from the date of the accident to file a personal injury claim against the at-fault party. In Illinois, you have two years to file a claim. Following your accident, don’t wait to call our Lemay, MO professional pedestrian accident lawyer at 636-333-1717 or contact us to help you understand your rights and assist you in fighting for the compensation you deserve.
Damages may include, but are not limited to:
- Medical costs — Serious Lemay, MO injuries can run up thousands of dollars in medical costs. Covered costs differ from case to case but often include:
- Doctor visits
- Medical devices
- Follow-up care
- Pain and suffering — Lemay, MO pedestrian accidents can create dire physical and emotional pain. When an injury or accident near Lemay, MO, brings about physical and emotional stress, the law allows you to claim these as damages. Some examples include:
- Loss of enjoyment
- Lost wages — If you sustain a serious injury in Lemay, MO, you might not be able to return to your job right away. In the event you can’t get back to work, your Lemay, MO pedestrian accident lawyer may request future wages.
- Wrongful death — Sadly and unfortunately, some Lemay, MO pedestrian accidents may be too severe for your loved one. In this case, you or a family member near Lemay, MO, may have a wrongful death case. This kind of claim may include:
- Pain and suffering
- Medical costs
- Lost wages
- Loss of guidance
- Loss of consortium
- Outstanding medical costs
How Common Are Lemay, MO Pedestrian Accidents?
According to a recent report from the Governors Highway Safety Association, there were an estimated 7,485 pedestrian deaths in 2021, an increase of 11.5 percent from the previous year. This is the largest number of pedestrian fatalities in four decades. From 2010-2020, pedestrian deaths increased by 54 percent while other traffic deaths combined for an increase of 13 percent.
In addition to the GHSA data, the report also analyzed the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's (NHTSA) Fatality Analysis Reporting System to further probe safety trends. The research showed a staggering statistic: The percentage of speeding-related pedestrian deaths among children younger than 15 in has more than doubled since 2018, from 5.8% to 11.9%.
There were 1,341 reported pedestrian accidents in 2021 in Missouri alone, injuring 1,118 and killing 132 individuals, according to the Missouri State Highway Patrol.
Because of these staggering and unsettling statistics, the NHTSA and the Federal Highway Administration started “Everyone is a Pedestrian” to curb accidents. The initiative offers resources, including the following safety tips for Lemay, MO pedestrian and drivers:
8 Safety Tips for Lemay, MO Drivers
- Look out for Lemay, MO pedestrians everywhere, at all times.
- Use extreme caution when driving in hard-to-see conditions, such as nighttime or bad weather in Lemay, MO.
- Slow down and be ready to stop when turning or otherwise entering a Lemay, MO crosswalk.
- Yield to pedestrians in crosswalks and stop well back from the crosswalk to give other Lemay, MO vehicles an opportunity to see the crossing pedestrians so they can stop, too.
- Never pass vehicles stopped at a Lemay, MO crosswalk. There could be people crossing where you can’t see.
- Never drive under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs in Lemay, MO.
- Follow the speed limit, particularly around people on the street, in school zones, and in Lemay, MO neighborhoods where children are present.
- Be extremely cautious when backing up and be on the look out for Lemay, MO pedestrians.
8 Safety Tips for Lemay, MO Pedestrians
- Follow the rules of the road and obey all signs and signals in Lemay, MO.
- Walk on Lemay, MO sidewalks whenever they are available.
- If there is no sidewalk, walk facing traffic and as far from traffic as possible.
- Cross streets at crosswalks or intersections in Lemay, MO. Look for cars in all directions, including those turning left or right.
- If a crosswalk or intersection is not available, find an illuminated area where you have the optimal view of Lemay, MO traffic. Wait for a lapse in traffic allowing sufficient time to cross safely; keep watching for traffic as you cross.
- Look out for Lemay, MO cars entering or exiting driveways, or reversing in parking lots.
- Stay away from alcohol and drugs when walking in Lemay, MO; they impair your abilities and your judgment.
- Embrace walking as a healthy form of transportation in Lemay, MO — get up, get out, and get moving.
What Are the Common Causes of Lemay, MO Pedestrian Accidents?
There is no minimizing it, Lemay, MO pedestrian accidents are frightening. In addition to the GHSA and NHTSA reports of increasing annual pedestrian accidents, our Lemay, MO pedestrian accident lawyers have noticed the injuries becoming more and more severe. The Missouri Injury legal team can help you or your loved one in Lemay, MO receive the compensation you are due under the law. Common causes of Lemay, MO pedestrian accidents are:
Speeding is dangerous. But, it is one of the most common reckless behaviors drivers participate in on the road in and around Lemay, MO. On average, speeding contributes to nearly 30 percent of U.S. traffic fatalities annually. A collision with a pedestrian can be catastrophic under normal speeds. When a Lemay, MO vehicle is speeding, the results can be deadly. Not only does speeding increase the risk of injury or death in Lemay, MO, it increases the chance of an accident happening at all. A speeding vehicle needs more time to stop. The Lemay, MO driver also has less time to act. By the time a Lemay, MO pedestrian recognizes a speeding driver is approaching, they may have little time to react.
We all have seen the warnings about texting and driving in and around Lemay, MO. Sending or receiving a text takes a Lemay, MO driver’s attention off the road for around 5 seconds. In that amount of time, which, at 55 mph, equates to driving the length of a football field with your eyes closed, a pedestrian could be crossing the street; a light could turn red… so many things could happen. Along with texting, other causes of Lemay, MO distracted driving include:
- Adjusting the radio
- Talking to passengers
- Talking on the phone (even with a hands-free device)
- Navigation systems
Driving Under the Influence
Driving under the influence is reckless. Approximately 32 people die every day in the U.S. because of a drunk driver, according to the NHTSA. Worst of all, these deaths were all preventable. Driving under the influence in Lemay, MO hinders an individual’s decision-making skills and can affect motor reflexes. Other dangers in Lemay, MO include:
- Difficulty concentrating
- Blurry vision
- Delayed reaction time
- Reduced ability to track moving objects
- Decreased alertness
- Inability to multitask
Failure to Yield the Right of Way
Lemay, MO pedestrians depend on Lemay, MO drivers to obey right of way laws. When a driver fails to yield the right of way, a Lemay, MO pedestrian has little time to act. Failure to yield the right of way commonly causes accidents at intersections, when a driver runs through a traffic device or when they fail to look for pedestrians before making a turn.
Bad weather, darkness, sunlight, or structural obstructions in Lemay, MO can create poor visibility for drivers. During these types of conditions, drivers need to use extra caution. Things a Lemay, MO driver can do to limit the risk of an accident include:
- Reduce driving speed
- Limit distractions
- Make sure safety devices, including headlights, are in working order
- Pay extra attention to hazards and pedestrians
- Allow extra following distance
- Brake at intersections
What is My Lemay, MO Pedestrian Accident Worth?
While the only way to correctly evaluate the types of damages in any injury claim is through an intricate investigation of the case, our Lemay, MO pedestrian accident lawyer can help you understand what your case might be worth by assessing:
- The specific circumstances of your Lemay, MO pedestrian accident
- Who was at fault and if you shared any blame
- The type of injuries sustained and their severity
- Whether you suffered permanent impairment, disability, or disfigurement
- How your injuries affect your quality of life moving forward
- The strength of your negligence case
- The amount of insurance coverage available
What Are Common Lemay, MO Pedestrian Accident Injuries?
A Lemay, MO pedestrian is no match for any sort of motor vehicle, no matter the size or scenario. If you have been hit by a car or a truck, or even a golf cart, your safety is the number one concern. At Missouri Injury Law, our team of Lemay, MO pedestrian accident attorneys can help introduce you to the care you need and fight for the compensation you and your loved ones deserve. Several of these injuries may or may not be apparent at the time of the Lemay, MO accident. If you notice any symptoms of a serious condition, seek medical attention right away. And then phone a pedestrian accident lawyer at Missouri Injury Law immediately at 636-333-1717 or contact us. Common injuries after a Lemay, MO pedestrian accident are:
- Brain Injuries
- Difficulty concentrating
- Mood changes
- Changes in sleep patterns
- Spinal Cord Injuries
- Extreme neck or back pain
- Numbness or tingling
- Difficulty walking
- Difficulty breathing
- Loss of bowel or bladder control
- Extreme neck or back distortion
- Broken Bones
- Cuts, Bruises, and Skin Abrasions
- Mental Health Injuries
Motor vehicle accidents are one of the leading causes of traumatic brain injuries. If you have been in a Lemay, MO pedestrian accident where you bumped your head, you need to watch for any of the following symptoms of TBI, as they can quickly ramp up in Lemay, MO, and become life-threatening:
Motor vehicle accidents are the number one cause of spinal cord injuries in the U.S. The severity of a collision from a Lemay, MO pedestrian accident can cause serious swelling that could ultimately result in permanent paralysis. Symptoms of a spinal cord injury in Lemay, MO are:
The human body is not designed to withstand the force of a 2,000-plus-pound vehicle. For this reason alone, broken bones are commonplace in Lemay, MO pedestrian accidents.
Cuts and bruises may seem relatively minor after a Lemay, MO pedestrian accident, but they can lead to severe complications, including infections.
There is no way to completely understand how someone feels in the aftermath of a traumatic Lemay, MO pedestrian accident. We all experience feelings and emotions differently. Following a Lemay, MO pedestrian accident, it is routine to feel intense anger, sadness, and confusion. If you are having a hard time after a pedestrian accident in Lemay, MO, do not hesitate reaching out for help. Our pedestrian accident lawyer can put you in touch with the right people. Give us a call today at 636-333-1717 or contact us in confidence.
How Do I Prove Who Is Liable for My Injuries In a Lemay, MO Pedestrian Accident?
To prove that a driver was at fault for causing your Lemay, MO pedestrian accident injuries, your pedestrian accident lawyer near Lemay, MO, must prove the following:
- The at-fault driver owed you a duty of care to drive their vehicle safely and legally.
- The driver breached their duty of care when they took an action that violated the duty of care.
- This breach of duty resulted in a pedestrian accident that injured you, and your injury caused economic and noneconomic damages.
Your Lemay, MO Pedestrian Accident Lawyer | Missouri Injury Law Firm
The pedestrian accident lawyers at Missouri Injury Law have devoted their livelihoods to fighting for Lemay, MO residents who have been injured as a result of a driver’s recklessness. We are passionate about making sure that you and your family are stress free while we fight for complete compensation for your Lemay, MO injuries and damages. Read what our Lemay, MO clients feel about our legal representation.