Pedestrian Accident Lawyer Oakville, MO
Serving All Missouri Personal Injury VictimsView Full Service Area
Pedestrian Accident Lawyer Oakville, MO. As a pedestrian, you should not have to fear for your safety doing something as simple as strolling down the sidewalk or roadside. In Oakville, MO, there are laws in place to protect you, designed to allow pedestrians and motor vehicles to share the same space. Somehow though, several times a day, Oakville, MO accidents between motorists and pedestrians continue to occur.
If you or someone you love has been injured in a Oakville, MO pedestrian accident, call the Missouri Injury Law Firm immediately at 636-333-1717 or contact us for a no-cost, no-risk consultation. Our Oakville, MO pedestrian accident lawyer will meet with you as soon as possible near Oakville, MO to discuss your case and protect your interests. If you have suffered injuries and have lost work and wages because of the Oakville, MO accident, you need an expert pedestrian accident lawyer from Missouri Injury Law fighting in your corner.
What Are My Rights Following a Oakville, MO Pedestrian Accident?
If you have been injured in a Oakville, MO pedestrian accident, you may have a right to recover damages under state law. In Missouri, accident victims have five years from the date of the accident to file a personal injury suit against the at-fault party. In Illinois, you have two years to file a claim. After your accident, don’t wait to call our Oakville, MO professional pedestrian accident lawyer at 636-333-1717 or reach out to us to help you understand your rights and assist you in fighting for the compensation you deserve.
Damages may include, but are not limited to:
- Medical costs — Serious Oakville, MO injuries can run up thousands of dollars in medical costs. Covered costs vary from case to case but often include:
- Doctor visits
- Medical devices
- Follow-up care
- Pain and suffering — Oakville, MO pedestrian accidents can cause serious physical and emotional pain. When an injury or accident near Oakville, MO, generates physical and emotional stress, the law permits you to claim these as damages. A few examples are:
- Loss of enjoyment
- Lost wages — If you suffer a serious injury in Oakville, MO, you might not be able to return to work immediately. In the event you can’t return to work, your Oakville, MO pedestrian accident lawyer may request future wages.
- Wrongful death — Sadly and unfortunately, some Oakville, MO pedestrian accidents may be too severe for your loved one. In such a case, you or a family member near Oakville, MO, may have a wrongful death claim. This type of claim may include:
- Pain and suffering
- Medical costs
- Lost wages
- Loss of guidance
- Loss of consortium
- Outstanding medical costs
How Common Are Oakville, MO Pedestrian Accidents?
According to a recent report from the Governors Highway Safety Association, there were an estimated 7,485 pedestrian deaths in 2021, an increase of 11.5 percent from the previous year. This is the largest number of pedestrian fatalities in four decades. From 2010-2020, pedestrian deaths increased by 54 percent while other traffic deaths combined for an increase of 13 percent.
In addition to the GHSA data, the report also studied the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's (NHTSA) Fatality Analysis Reporting System to further review safety trends. The research revealed a troubling statistic: The percentage of speeding-related pedestrian deaths among children younger than 15 in has more than doubled since 2018, from 5.8% to 11.9%.
There were 1,341 reported pedestrian accidents in 2021 in Missouri alone, with 1,118 injuries and killing 132 individuals, via the Missouri State Highway Patrol.
Due to these staggering and unsettling statistics, the NHTSA and the Federal Highway Administration launched “Everyone is a Pedestrian” to curb accidents. The initiative offers resources, including these safety tips for Oakville, MO pedestrian and drivers:
8 Safety Tips for Oakville, MO Drivers
- Look out for Oakville, MO pedestrians everywhere, at all times.
- Use extra caution when driving in hard-to-see conditions, such as nighttime or bad weather in Oakville, MO.
- Slow down and be prepared to stop when turning or otherwise entering a Oakville, MO crosswalk.
- Yield to pedestrians in crosswalks and stop well back from the crosswalk to give other Oakville, MO vehicles an opportunity to see the crossing pedestrians so they can stop, too.
- Never pass vehicles stopped at a Oakville, MO crosswalk. There might be people crossing where you can’t see.
- Never drive under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs in Oakville, MO.
- Follow the speed limit, especially around people on the street, in school zones, and in Oakville, MO neighborhoods where children are present.
- Be extra cautious when backing up and be on the look out for Oakville, MO pedestrians.
8 Safety Tips for Oakville, MO Pedestrians
- Follow the rules of the road and obey all signs and signals in Oakville, MO.
- Walk on Oakville, MO sidewalks whenever they are available.
- If there is no sidewalk, walk facing traffic and as far from traffic as possible.
- Cross streets at crosswalks or intersections in Oakville, MO. Look for cars in all directions, including those turning left or right.
- If there is no crosswalk or intersection, find an illuminated area where you have the best view of Oakville, MO traffic. Wait for a gap in traffic that allows enough time to cross safely; keep looking for traffic as you cross.
- Watch for Oakville, MO vehicles entering or exiting driveways, or backing up in parking lots.
- Avoid alcohol and drugs when walking in Oakville, MO; they impair your abilities and your judgment.
- Embrace walking as a healthy form of transportation in Oakville, MO — get up, get out, and get moving.
Call our Oakville, MO pedestrian accident lawyer now at 636-333-1717 or contact us for a complimentary, confidential case review.
What Are the Common Causes of Oakville, MO Pedestrian Accidents?
There is no sugarcoating it, Oakville, MO pedestrian accidents are frightening. In addition to the GHSA and NHTSA reports of increased annual pedestrian accidents, our Oakville, MO pedestrian accident attorneys have seen the injuries becoming more and more severe. The Missouri Injury legal team can help you or your loved one in Oakville, MO receive the compensation you are due under the law. Common causes of Oakville, MO pedestrian accidents are:
Speeding is dangerous. However, it is one of the most common reckless behaviors drivers participate in on the road in and around Oakville, MO. On average, speeding contributes to approximately 30 percent of annual U.S. traffic fatalities. A collision with a pedestrian can be catastrophic under normal speeds. When a Oakville, MO vehicle is speeding, the results can be deadly. Not only does speeding increase the risk of injury or death in Oakville, MO, it increases the chance of an accident occurring at all. A speeding vehicle takes longer to stop. The Oakville, MO driver also has less time to act. By the time a Oakville, MO pedestrian notices a speeding driver is getting close, they may have little time to react.
We all have heard the warnings about texting and driving in and around Oakville, MO. Sending or receiving a text takes a Oakville, MO driver’s attention off the road for around 5 seconds. In that amount of time, which, at 55 mph, equates to driving the length of a football field with your eyes closed, a pedestrian could be crossing the street; a light could turn red… so many things could happen. In addition to texting, other causes of Oakville, MO distracted driving include:
- Adjusting the radio
- Talking to passengers
- Talking on the phone (even with a hands-free device)
- Navigation systems
Driving Under the Influence
Driving under the influence is reckless. Approximately 32 people die each day in the U.S. because of a drunk driver, according to the NHTSA. Worse still, these deaths were all preventable. Driving under the influence in Oakville, MO hinders a person’s decision-making skills and can affect motor reflexes. Other dangers in Oakville, MO are:
- Difficulty concentrating
- Blurry vision
- Delayed reaction time
- Reduced ability to track moving objects
- Decreased alertness
- Inability to multitask
Failure to Yield the Right of Way
Oakville, MO pedestrians depend on Oakville, MO drivers to follow right of way laws. When a driver fails to yield the right of way, a Oakville, MO pedestrian has little time to act. Accidents at intersections, when a driver runs through a traffic device or when they fail to look for pedestrians before making a turn, are commonplace failures to yield the right of way.
Bad weather, darkness, sunlight, or structural obstructions in Oakville, MO can create poor visibility for drivers. During these types of scenarios, drivers need to exercise extra caution. Things a Oakville, MO driver can do to lessen the risk of an accident include:
- Reduce driving speed
- Limit distractions
- Ensure safety devices, including headlights, are in working order
- Pay extra attention to hazards and pedestrians
- Allow extra following distance
- Brake at intersections
Call our Oakville, MO pedestrian accident lawyer today at 636-333-1717 or contact us for a complimentary, confidential case review.
What is My Oakville, MO Pedestrian Accident Worth?
While the only way to correctly assess the types of damages in any injury claim is through a diligent investigation of the case, our Oakville, MO pedestrian accident lawyer can help you understand what your case might be worth by gauging:
- The specific circumstances of your Oakville, MO pedestrian accident
- Who was at fault and if you shared any blame
- The type of injuries sustained and their severity
- Whether you suffered permanent impairment, disability, or disfigurement
- How your injuries affect your quality of life moving forward
- The strength of your negligence case
- The amount of insurance coverage available
What Are Common Oakville, MO Pedestrian Accident Injuries?
A Oakville, MO pedestrian is no match for any sort of motor vehicle, no matter the size or situation. If you have been struck by a car or a truck, or even a golf cart, your safety is the number one priority. At Missouri Injury Law, our staff of Oakville, MO pedestrian accident attorneys can help direct you to the care you need and fight for the compensation you and your loved ones deserve. Some of these injuries may or may not be apparent at the time of the Oakville, MO accident. If you notice any symptoms of a serious condition, seek medical attention immediately. And then call a pedestrian accident lawyer at Missouri Injury Law immediately at 636-333-1717 or contact us. Common injuries after a Oakville, MO pedestrian accident include:
- Brain Injuries
- Difficulty concentrating
- Mood changes
- Changes in sleep patterns
- Spinal Cord Injuries
- Extreme neck or back pain
- Numbness or tingling
- Difficulty walking
- Difficulty breathing
- Loss of bowel or bladder control
- Extreme neck or back distortion
- Broken Bones
- Cuts, Bruises, and Skin Abrasions
- Mental Health Injuries
Motor vehicle accidents are one of the leading causes of traumatic brain injuries. If you have been in a Oakville, MO pedestrian accident where you hit your head, you need to look out for any of the following symptoms of TBI, as they can quickly ramp up in Oakville, MO, and turn life-threatening:
Motor vehicle accidents are the number one cause of spinal cord injuries in the U.S. The severity of the impact of a Oakville, MO pedestrian accident can cause serious swelling that can eventually result in permanent paralysis. Symptoms of a spinal cord injury in Oakville, MO include:
The human body is not designed to withstand the force of a 2,000-plus-pound vehicle. For this reason alone, broken bones are commonplace in Oakville, MO pedestrian accidents.
Cuts and bruises might seem like minor injuries after a Oakville, MO pedestrian accident, but they can lead to major complications, including infections.
There is no way to truly understand how someone feels after a traumatic Oakville, MO pedestrian accident. We all deal with feelings and emotions differently. Following a Oakville, MO pedestrian accident, it is routine to feel rage, sadness, and confusion. If you are having a hard time after a pedestrian accident in Oakville, MO, do not hesitate reaching out for help. Our pedestrian accident lawyer can put you in touch with the right people. Give us a call today at 636-333-1717 or contact us in confidence.
How Do I Prove Who Is Liable for My Injuries In a Oakville, MO Pedestrian Accident?
To prove that a driver was at fault for causing your Oakville, MO pedestrian accident injuries, your pedestrian accident lawyer near Oakville, MO, must show the following:
- The at-fault driver owed you a duty of care to drive their vehicle safely and legally.
- The driver breached their duty of care when they took an action that violated the duty of care.
- This breach of duty resulted in a pedestrian accident that injured you, and your injury caused economic and noneconomic damages.
Your Oakville, MO Pedestrian Accident Lawyer | Missouri Injury Law Firm
The pedestrian accident lawyers at Missouri Injury Law have dedicated their livelihoods to fighting for Oakville, MO residents who have been injured due to a driver’s recklessness. We are passionate about making sure that you and your family have little to worry about while we fight for maximum compensation for your Oakville, MO injuries and damages. See what our Oakville, MO clients feel about our legal representation.
Call one of our Oakville, MO pedestrian accident lawyers at Missouri Injury Law today at 636-333-1717 or contact us online for a free and confidential consultation near Oakville, MO.