Pedestrian Accident Lawyer Ozark, MO
Serving All Missouri Personal Injury VictimsView Full Service Area
Pedestrian Accident Lawyer Ozark, MO. As a pedestrian, you should not have to fear for your safety simply walking on the sidewalk or roadside. In Ozark, MO, there are laws in place to protect you, designed to allow pedestrians and motor vehicles to share the same space. Somehow though, several times a day, Ozark, MO accidents between motorists and pedestrians still occur.
If you or a loved one has been injured in a Ozark, MO pedestrian accident, call the Missouri Injury Law Firm immediately at 636-333-1717 or reach out to us for a complimentary, confidential consultation. Our Ozark, MO pedestrian accident lawyer will meet with you as soon as possible near Ozark, MO to discuss your case and protect your interests. If you have sustained injuries and have lost work and wages because of the Ozark, MO accident, you need an expert pedestrian accident lawyer from Missouri Injury Law fighting in your corner.
What Are My Rights Following a Ozark, MO Pedestrian Accident?
If you have been injured in a Ozark, MO pedestrian accident, you may have a right to recover damages under state law. In Missouri, accident victims have five years from the date of the accident to file a personal injury suit against the at-fault party. In Illinois, you have two years to file a claim. Following your accident, don’t hesitate to call our Ozark, MO skilled pedestrian accident lawyer at 636-333-1717 or contact us to assist in understanding your rights and helping you fight for the compensation you deserve.
Damages may include, but are not limited to:
- Medical costs — Serious Ozark, MO injuries can run up thousands of dollars in medical costs. Covered costs differ from case to case but frequently include:
- Doctor visits
- Medical devices
- Follow-up care
- Pain and suffering — Ozark, MO pedestrian accidents can cause dire physical and emotional pain. When an injury or accident near Ozark, MO, brings about physical and emotional stress, the law permits you to claim these as damages. Some examples include:
- Loss of enjoyment
- Lost wages — If you sustain a serious injury in Ozark, MO, you may not be able to return to your job immediately. In the event you can’t get back to work, your Ozark, MO pedestrian accident lawyer may ask for future wages.
- Wrongful death — Sadly and unfortunately, some Ozark, MO pedestrian accidents may be too severe for the survival of a loved one. In this case, you or a family member near Ozark, MO, may have a wrongful death claim. This kind of claim may include:
- Pain and suffering
- Medical costs
- Lost wages
- Loss of guidance
- Loss of consortium
- Outstanding medical costs
How Common Are Ozark, MO Pedestrian Accidents?
According to a recent report from the Governors Highway Safety Association, there were an estimated 7,485 pedestrian deaths in 2021, an increase of 11.5 percent from the previous year. This is the largest number of pedestrian fatalities in four decades. From 2010-2020, pedestrian deaths increased by 54 percent while other traffic deaths combined for an increase of 13 percent.
Along with the GHSA data, the report also analyzed the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's (NHTSA) Fatality Analysis Reporting System to further review safety trends. The research showed a staggering statistic: The percentage of speeding-related pedestrian deaths among children younger than 15 in has more than doubled since 2018, from 5.8% to 11.9%.
There were 1,341 reported pedestrian accidents in 2021 in Missouri alone, injuring 1,118 and 132 deaths, via the Missouri State Highway Patrol.
Because of these staggering and unsettling statistics, the NHTSA and the Federal Highway Administration started “Everyone is a Pedestrian” to curb accidents. The organization provides resources, including these safety tips for Ozark, MO pedestrian and drivers:
8 Safety Tips for Ozark, MO Drivers
- Look out for Ozark, MO pedestrians everywhere, at all times.
- Use extreme caution when driving in hard-to-see situations, like nighttime or bad weather in Ozark, MO.
- Slow down and be prepared to stop when turning or otherwise entering a Ozark, MO crosswalk.
- Yield to pedestrians in crosswalks and stop well back from the crosswalk to give other Ozark, MO vehicles an opportunity to see the crossing pedestrians so they can stop, too.
- Never pass vehicles stopped at a Ozark, MO crosswalk. There may be individuals crossing where you can’t see.
- Never drive under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs in Ozark, MO.
- Follow the speed limit, especially around people on the street, in school zones, and in Ozark, MO neighborhoods where children are present.
- Be extremely cautious when backing up and look for Ozark, MO pedestrians.
8 Safety Tips for Ozark, MO Pedestrians
- Follow the rules of the road and obey all signs and signals in Ozark, MO.
- Walk on Ozark, MO sidewalks whenever they are available.
- If there is no sidewalk, walk facing traffic and as far from traffic as possible.
- Cross streets at crosswalks or intersections in Ozark, MO. Look for cars in all directions, including those turning left or right.
- If there is no crosswalk or intersection, find a well-lit area where you have the best view of Ozark, MO traffic. Wait for a lapse in traffic allowing sufficient time to cross safely; keep looking for traffic as you cross.
- Watch for Ozark, MO cars entering or exiting driveways, or reversing in parking lots.
- Avoid alcohol and drugs when walking in Ozark, MO; they impair your abilities and your judgment.
- Embrace walking as a healthy form of transportation in Ozark, MO — get up, get out, and get moving.
What Are the Common Causes of Ozark, MO Pedestrian Accidents?
There is no minimizing it, Ozark, MO pedestrian accidents are scary. In addition to the GHSA and NHTSA reports of increased annual pedestrian accidents, our Ozark, MO pedestrian accident attorneys have seen the injuries becoming more and more severe. The Missouri Injury legal team can help you or your loved one in Ozark, MO receive the compensation you are due under the law. Common causes of Ozark, MO pedestrian accidents are:
Speeding is dangerous. However, it is one of the most common reckless behaviors drivers participate in on the road in and around Ozark, MO. On average, speeding contributes to nearly 30 percent of annual U.S. traffic fatalities. A collision with a pedestrian can be catastrophic under normal speeds. When a Ozark, MO vehicle is speeding, the results can be deadly. Not only does speeding increase the risk of injury or death in Ozark, MO, it increases the chance of an accident occurring at all. A speeding vehicle needs more time to stop. The Ozark, MO driver also has less time to act. By the time a Ozark, MO pedestrian notices a speeding driver is getting close, they may have little time to react.
We all have heard the warnings about texting and driving in and around Ozark, MO. Sending or receiving a text takes a Ozark, MO driver’s attention off the road for approximately 5 seconds. In that amount of time, which, at 55 mph, equates to driving the length of a football field with your eyes closed, a pedestrian could be crossing the street; a light could turn red… so many things could happen. Along with texting, other causes of Ozark, MO distracted driving are:
- Adjusting the radio
- Talking to passengers
- Talking on the phone (even with a hands-free device)
- Navigation systems
Driving Under the Influence
Driving under the influence is reckless. Approximately 32 people die every day in the U.S. because of a drunk driver, according to the NHTSA. Worst of all, these deaths were all preventable. Driving under the influence in Ozark, MO impairs a person’s decision-making skills and can affect motor reflexes. Other dangers in Ozark, MO are:
- Difficulty concentrating
- Blurry vision
- Delayed reaction time
- Reduced ability to track moving objects
- Decreased alertness
- Inability to multitask
Failure to Yield the Right of Way
Ozark, MO pedestrians depend on Ozark, MO drivers to obey right of way laws. When a driver fails to yield the right of way, a Ozark, MO pedestrian has little time to act. Failure to yield the right of way commonly causes accidents at intersections, when a driver runs through a traffic device or when they fail to look for pedestrians before making a turn.
Bad weather, darkness, sunlight, or structural obstructions in Ozark, MO can create poor visibility for drivers. During these types of conditions, drivers need to exercise extreme caution. Things a Ozark, MO driver can do to lessen the risk of an accident include:
- Reduce driving speed
- Limit distractions
- Make sure safety devices, including headlights, are in working order
- Pay extra attention to hazards and pedestrians
- Allow extra following distance
- Yield at intersections
What is My Ozark, MO Pedestrian Accident Worth?
While the only way to correctly evaluate the types of damages in any injury claim is through a careful investigation of the case, our Ozark, MO pedestrian accident lawyer can help you understand what your case might be worth by assessing:
- The particular circumstances of your Ozark, MO pedestrian accident
- Who was at fault and if you shared any blame
- The type of injuries sustained and their severity
- Whether you suffered permanent impairment, disability, or disfigurement
- How your injuries affect your quality of life moving forward
- The strength of your negligence case
- The amount of insurance coverage available
What Are Common Ozark, MO Pedestrian Accident Injuries?
A Ozark, MO pedestrian is no match for any kind of motor vehicle, no matter the size or situation. If you have been hit by a car or a truck, or even a golf cart, your safety is the main concern. At Missouri Injury Law, our team of Ozark, MO pedestrian accident attorneys can help direct you to the care you need and fight for the compensation you and your loved ones deserve. Several of these injuries may or may not be apparent at the time of the Ozark, MO accident. If you notice any symptoms of a serious condition, seek medical attention immediately. And then call a pedestrian accident lawyer at Missouri Injury Law as soon as possible at 636-333-1717 or contact us. Common injuries after a Ozark, MO pedestrian accident are:
- Brain Injuries
- Difficulty concentrating
- Mood changes
- Changes in sleep patterns
- Spinal Cord Injuries
- Extreme neck or back pain
- Numbness or tingling
- Difficulty walking
- Difficulty breathing
- Loss of bowel or bladder control
- Severe neck or back distortion
- Broken Bones
- Cuts, Bruises, and Skin Abrasions
- Mental Health Injuries
Motor vehicle accidents are one of the leading causes of traumatic brain injuries. If you have been in a Ozark, MO pedestrian accident where you hit your head, you need to watch for any of the following symptoms of TBI, as they can quickly ramp up in Ozark, MO, and become life-threatening:
Motor vehicle accidents are the number one cause of spinal cord injuries in the U.S. The force of a collision from a Ozark, MO pedestrian accident can cause serious swelling that can eventually result in permanent paralysis. Symptoms of a spinal cord injury in Ozark, MO include:
The human body is not made to sustain the force of a 2,000-plus-pound vehicle. For this reason alone, broken bones are commonplace in Ozark, MO pedestrian accidents.
Cuts and bruises might seem relatively minor after a Ozark, MO pedestrian accident, but they can lead to serious complications, including infections.
There is no way to truly understand how someone feels after a traumatic Ozark, MO pedestrian accident. We all work through feelings and emotions differently. After a Ozark, MO pedestrian accident, it is routine to feel intense anger, sadness, and confusion. If you are having a hard time after a pedestrian accident in Ozark, MO, don’t hesitate reaching out for help. Our pedestrian accident lawyer can put you in touch with the right people. Call us today at 636-333-1717 or contact us in confidence.
How Do I Prove Who Is Liable for My Injuries In a Ozark, MO Pedestrian Accident?
To prove that a driver was at fault for causing your Ozark, MO pedestrian accident injuries, your pedestrian accident lawyer near Ozark, MO, must show the following:
- The at-fault driver owed you a duty of care to drive their vehicle safely and legally.
- The driver breached their duty of care when they took an action that violated the duty of care.
- This breach of duty resulted in a pedestrian accident that injured you, and your injury caused economic and noneconomic damages.
Your Ozark, MO Pedestrian Accident Lawyer | Missouri Injury Law Firm
The pedestrian accident lawyers at Missouri Injury Law have devoted their livelihoods to fighting for Ozark, MO residents who have been injured due to a driver’s carelessness. We care about guaranteeing that you and your family are stress free while we fight for complete compensation for your Ozark, MO injuries and damages. Read what our Ozark, MO clients feel about our legal representation.