Pedestrian Accident Lawyer Platte County, MO
Serving All Missouri Personal Injury VictimsView Full Service Area
Pedestrian Accident Lawyer Platte County, MO. As a pedestrian, you should not have to be concerned for your safety simply strolling down the sidewalk or roadside. In Platte County, MO, there are laws in place to protect you, designed to allow pedestrians and motor vehicles to share the same space. Somehow though, day after day, Platte County, MO accidents between motorists and pedestrians still occur.
If you or a loved one has been injured in a Platte County, MO pedestrian accident, call the Missouri Injury Law Firm immediately at 636-333-1717 or reach out to us for a complimentary, confidential consultation. Our Platte County, MO pedestrian accident lawyer will meet with you as soon as possible near Platte County, MO to discuss your case and protect your interests. If you have suffered injuries and have lost work and wages because of the Platte County, MO accident, you deserve an expert pedestrian accident lawyer from Missouri Injury Law standing by your side.
What Are My Rights After a Platte County, MO Pedestrian Accident?
If you’ve been injured in a Platte County, MO pedestrian accident, you may be able to recover damages under state law. In Missouri, accident victims have five years from the date of the incident to file a personal injury suit against the at-fault party. In Illinois, you have two years to file a claim. After your accident, don’t wait to call our Platte County, MO professional pedestrian accident attorney at 636-333-1717 or reach out to us to help you understand your rights and assist you in fighting for the compensation you are entitled to.
Damages may include, but are not limited to:
- Medical costs — Severe Platte County, MO injuries can run up thousands of dollars in medical costs. Covered costs vary from case to case but often include:
- Doctor visits
- Medical devices
- Follow-up care
- Pain and suffering — Platte County, MO pedestrian accidents can cause severe physical and emotional pain. When an injury or accident near Platte County, MO, brings about physical and emotional stress, the law permits you to claim these as damages. Some examples include:
- Loss of enjoyment
- Lost wages — If you suffer a serious injury in Platte County, MO, you might not be able to return to work as soon as you might like. In the event you can’t get back to work, your Platte County, MO pedestrian accident lawyer may request future wages.
- Wrongful death — Sadly and unfortunately, some Platte County, MO pedestrian accidents may be too severe for the survival of a loved one. In this case, you or a family member near Platte County, MO, may have a wrongful death case. This kind of claim may include:
- Pain and suffering
- Medical costs
- Lost wages
- Loss of guidance
- Loss of consortium
- Outstanding medical costs
How Common Are Platte County, MO Pedestrian Accidents?
According to a recent report from the Governors Highway Safety Association, there were an estimated 7,485 pedestrian deaths in 2021, an increase of 11.5 percent from the previous year. This is the largest number of pedestrian fatalities in four decades. From 2010-2020, pedestrian deaths increased by 54 percent while other traffic deaths combined for an increase of 13 percent.
In addition to the GHSA data, the report also studied the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's (NHTSA) Fatality Analysis Reporting System to further review safety trends. The analysis revealed a staggering statistic: The percentage of speeding-related pedestrian deaths among children younger than 15 in has more than doubled since 2018, from 5.8% to 11.9%.
There were 1,341 reported pedestrian accidents in 2021 in Missouri alone, injuring 1,118 and 132 deaths, according to the Missouri State Highway Patrol.
Because of these staggering and unsettling numbers, the NHTSA and the Federal Highway Administration started “Everyone is a Pedestrian” to curb accidents. The initiative offers resources, including these safety tips for Platte County, MO pedestrian and drivers:
8 Safety Tips for Platte County, MO Drivers
- Look out for Platte County, MO pedestrians everywhere, at all times.
- Use extra caution when driving in hard-to-see situations, like nighttime or bad weather in Platte County, MO.
- Slow down and be prepared to stop when turning or otherwise entering a Platte County, MO crosswalk.
- Yield to pedestrians in crosswalks and stop well back from the crosswalk to give other Platte County, MO vehicles an opportunity to see the crossing pedestrians so they can stop, too.
- Never pass vehicles stopped at a Platte County, MO crosswalk. There may be individuals crossing where you can’t see.
- Never drive under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs in Platte County, MO.
- Follow the speed limit, especially around people on the street, in school zones, and in Platte County, MO neighborhoods where children are present.
- Be extra cautious when backing up and be on the look out for Platte County, MO pedestrians.
8 Safety Tips for Platte County, MO Pedestrians
- Follow the rules of the road and obey all of the signs and signals in Platte County, MO.
- Walk on Platte County, MO sidewalks whenever they are available.
- If there is no sidewalk, walk facing traffic and as far from traffic as possible.
- Cross streets at crosswalks or intersections in Platte County, MO. Look for cars in all directions, including those turning left or right.
- If there is no crosswalk or intersection, find a well-lit area where you have the best view of Platte County, MO traffic. Wait for a lapse in traffic that allows sufficient time to cross safely; keep watching for traffic as you cross.
- Watch for Platte County, MO vehicles entering or exiting driveways, or reversing in parking lots.
- Avoid alcohol and drugs when walking in Platte County, MO; they impair your abilities and your judgment.
- Welcome walking as a healthy form of transportation in Platte County, MO — get up, get out, and get moving.
What Are the Common Causes of Platte County, MO Pedestrian Accidents?
There is no sugarcoating it, Platte County, MO pedestrian accidents are scary. In addition to the GHSA and NHTSA reports of increased annual pedestrian accidents, our Platte County, MO pedestrian accident lawyers have seen the injuries becoming more and more severe. The Missouri Injury legal team can help you or your loved one in Platte County, MO receive the compensation you are entitled to under the law. Common causes of Platte County, MO pedestrian accidents include:
Speeding is dangerous. However, it is one of the most common reckless behaviors drivers participate in on the road in and around Platte County, MO. On average, speeding contributes to approximately 30 percent of annual U.S. traffic fatalities. A collision with a pedestrian can be catastrophic under normal speeds. When a Platte County, MO vehicle is speeding, the results can be deadly. Not only does speeding increase the risk of injury or death in Platte County, MO, it increases the chance of an accident happening at all. A speeding vehicle needs more time to stop. The Platte County, MO driver also has less time to act. By the time a Platte County, MO pedestrian realizes a speeding driver is approaching, they may have little time to react.
We all have heard the warnings about texting and driving in and around Platte County, MO. Sending or receiving a text takes a Platte County, MO driver’s attention off the road for approximately 5 seconds. During that time, which, at 55 mph, equates to driving the length of a football field with your eyes closed, a pedestrian could be crossing the street; a light could turn red… so many things could happen. In addition to texting, other causes of Platte County, MO distracted driving are:
- Adjusting the radio
- Talking to passengers
- Talking on the phone (even with a hands-free device)
- Navigation systems
Driving Under the Influence
Driving under the influence is careless. Approximately 32 people die every day in the U.S. because of a drunk driver, according to the NHTSA. Worst of all, these deaths were all preventable. Driving under the influence in Platte County, MO hinders a person’s decision-making skills and can affect motor reflexes. Other dangers in Platte County, MO include:
- Difficulty concentrating
- Blurry vision
- Delayed reaction time
- Reduced ability to track moving objects
- Decreased alertness
- Inability to multitask
Failure to Yield the Right of Way
Platte County, MO pedestrians depend on Platte County, MO drivers to obey right of way laws. When a driver fails to yield the right of way, a Platte County, MO pedestrian has little time to react. Accidents at intersections, when a driver runs through a traffic device or when they fail to look for pedestrians before making a turn, are commonplace failures to yield the right of way.
Bad weather, darkness, sunlight, or structural obstructions in Platte County, MO can cause poor visibility for drivers. During these types of scenarios, drivers need to use extreme caution. Things a Platte County, MO driver can do to lessen the risk of an accident include:
- Reduce driving speed
- Limit distractions
- Ensure safety devices, including headlights, are in working order
- Pay extra attention to hazards and pedestrians
- Allow extra following distance
- Brake at intersections
What is My Platte County, MO Pedestrian Accident Worth?
While the only way to correctly evaluate the types of damages in any injury claim is through a diligent investigation of the case, our Platte County, MO pedestrian accident lawyer can help you understand what your case may be worth by gauging:
- The particular circumstances of your Platte County, MO pedestrian accident
- Who was at fault and if you shared any blame
- The type of injuries sustained and their severity
- Whether you suffered permanent impairment, disability, or disfigurement
- How your injuries affect your quality of life moving forward
- The strength of your negligence case
- The amount of insurance coverage available
What Are Common Platte County, MO Pedestrian Accident Injuries?
A Platte County, MO pedestrian is no match for any type of motor vehicle, no matter the size or scenario. If you have been struck by a car or a truck, or even a golf cart, your safety is the number one concern. At Missouri Injury Law, our team of Platte County, MO pedestrian accident attorneys can help introduce you to the care you need and fight for the compensation you and your family deserve. Some of these injuries may or may not be obvious at the time of the Platte County, MO accident. If you notice any symptoms of a significant condition, seek medical attention immediately. And then phone a pedestrian accident lawyer at Missouri Injury Law as soon as possible at 636-333-1717 or contact us. Common injuries after a Platte County, MO pedestrian accident include:
- Brain Injuries
- Difficulty concentrating
- Mood changes
- Changes in sleep patterns
- Spinal Cord Injuries
- Severe neck or back pain
- Numbness or tingling
- Difficulty walking
- Difficulty breathing
- Loss of bowel or bladder control
- Extreme neck or back distortion
- Broken Bones
- Cuts, Bruises, and Skin Abrasions
- Mental Health Injuries
Motor vehicle accidents are one of the leading causes of traumatic brain injuries. If you have been in a Platte County, MO pedestrian accident where you bumped your head, you need to look out for any of the following symptoms of TBI, as they can escalate quickly in Platte County, MO, and turn life-threatening:
Motor vehicle accidents are the number one cause of spinal cord injuries in the U.S. The severity of a collision from a Platte County, MO pedestrian accident can cause severe swelling that could eventually result in permanent paralysis. Symptoms of a spinal cord injury in Platte County, MO include:
The human body is not designed to sustain the force of a 2,000-plus-pound vehicle. For this reason alone, broken bones are commonplace in Platte County, MO pedestrian accidents.
Cuts and bruises may seem relatively minor after a Platte County, MO pedestrian accident, but they can lead to major complications, including infections.
There is no way to truly realize how someone feels in the aftermath of a traumatic Platte County, MO pedestrian accident. We all deal with feelings and emotions differently. Following a Platte County, MO pedestrian accident, it is routine to feel intense anger, sadness, and confusion. If you are having difficulty after a pedestrian accident in Platte County, MO, don’t hesitate reaching out for help. Our pedestrian accident lawyer can put you in contact with the right people. Call us today at 636-333-1717 or contact us in confidence.
How Do I Prove Who Is Liable for My Injuries In a Platte County, MO Pedestrian Accident?
To prove that a driver was at fault for causing your Platte County, MO pedestrian accident injuries, your pedestrian accident lawyer near Platte County, MO, must show the following:
- The at-fault driver owed you a duty of care to drive their vehicle safely and legally.
- The driver breached their duty of care when they took an action that violated the duty of care.
- This breach of duty resulted in a pedestrian accident that injured you, and your injury caused economic and noneconomic damages.
Your Platte County, MO Pedestrian Accident Lawyer | Missouri Injury Law Firm
The pedestrian accident lawyers at Missouri Injury Law have devoted their livelihoods to fighting for Platte County, MO residents who have been injured due to a driver’s recklessness. We care about guaranteeing that you and your family have little to worry about while we fight for complete compensation for your Platte County, MO injuries and damages. See what our Platte County, MO clients have to say about our legal representation.