Pedestrian Accident Lawyer Poplar Bluff, MO
Serving All Missouri Personal Injury VictimsView Full Service Area
Pedestrian Accident Lawyer Poplar Bluff, MO. As a pedestrian, you should never have to be concerned for your safety doing something as simple as walking on the sidewalk or roadside. In Poplar Bluff, MO, there are laws in place to protect you, designed to allow pedestrians and motor vehicles to share the same space. Somehow though, several times a day, Poplar Bluff, MO accidents between motorists and pedestrians continue to occur.
If you or someone you love has been involved in a Poplar Bluff, MO pedestrian accident, call the Missouri Injury Law Firm immediately at 636-333-1717 or contact us for a complimentary, confidential consultation. Our Poplar Bluff, MO pedestrian accident lawyer will meet with you as soon as possible near Poplar Bluff, MO to discuss your case and protect your interests. If you have sustained injuries and have lost work and wages because of the Poplar Bluff, MO accident, you deserve an expert pedestrian accident lawyer from Missouri Injury Law fighting in your corner.
What Are My Rights After a Poplar Bluff, MO Pedestrian Accident?
If you’ve been injured in a Poplar Bluff, MO pedestrian accident, you may be able to recover damages under state law. In Missouri, accident victims have five years from the date of the incident to file a personal injury suit against the at-fault party. In Illinois, you have two years to file a claim. Following your accident, be sure to call our Poplar Bluff, MO skilled pedestrian accident lawyer at 636-333-1717 or contact us to help you understand your rights and assist you in fighting for the compensation you deserve.
Damages may include, but are not limited to:
- Medical costs — Serious Poplar Bluff, MO injuries can incur thousands of dollars in medical costs. Covered costs differ from case to case but often include:
- Doctor visits
- Medical devices
- Follow-up care
- Pain and suffering — Poplar Bluff, MO pedestrian accidents can cause serious physical and emotional pain. When an injury or accident near Poplar Bluff, MO, brings about physical and emotional stress, the law allows you to claim these as damages. A few examples are:
- Loss of enjoyment
- Lost wages — If you suffer a serious injury in Poplar Bluff, MO, you may not be able to return to your job as soon as you might like. In the event you can’t return to work, your Poplar Bluff, MO pedestrian accident lawyer may request future wages.
- Wrongful death — Sadly and unfortunately, some Poplar Bluff, MO pedestrian accidents may be too severe for your loved one. In such a case, you or a family member near Poplar Bluff, MO, may have a wrongful death claim. This type of claim may include:
- Pain and suffering
- Medical costs
- Lost wages
- Loss of guidance
- Loss of consortium
- Outstanding medical costs
How Common Are Poplar Bluff, MO Pedestrian Accidents?
According to a recent report from the Governors Highway Safety Association, there were an estimated 7,485 pedestrian deaths in 2021, an increase of 11.5 percent from the previous year. This is the largest number of pedestrian fatalities in four decades. From 2010-2020, pedestrian deaths increased by 54 percent while other traffic deaths combined for an increase of 13 percent.
Alongside the GHSA data, the report also analyzed the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's (NHTSA) Fatality Analysis Reporting System to further probe safety trends. The analysis showed a troubling statistic: The percentage of speeding-related pedestrian deaths among children younger than 15 in has more than doubled since 2018, from 5.8% to 11.9%.
There were 1,341 reported pedestrian accidents in 2021 in Missouri alone, with 1,118 injuries and 132 deaths, according to the Missouri State Highway Patrol.
Due to these staggering and unsettling numbers, the NHTSA and the Federal Highway Administration started “Everyone is a Pedestrian” to curb accidents. The initiative offers resources, including these safety tips for Poplar Bluff, MO pedestrian and drivers:
8 Safety Tips for Poplar Bluff, MO Drivers
- Look out for Poplar Bluff, MO pedestrians everywhere, at all times.
- Use extreme caution when driving in hard-to-see conditions, like nighttime or bad weather in Poplar Bluff, MO.
- Slow down and be ready to stop when turning or otherwise entering a Poplar Bluff, MO crosswalk.
- Yield to pedestrians in crosswalks and stop well back from the crosswalk to give other Poplar Bluff, MO vehicles an opportunity to see the crossing pedestrians so they can stop, too.
- Never pass vehicles stopped at a Poplar Bluff, MO crosswalk. There might be people crossing where you can’t see.
- Never drive under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs in Poplar Bluff, MO.
- Follow the speed limit, particularly around people on the street, in school zones, and in Poplar Bluff, MO neighborhoods where children are present.
- Be extremely cautious when backing up and be on the look out for Poplar Bluff, MO pedestrians.
8 Safety Tips for Poplar Bluff, MO Pedestrians
- Follow the rules of the road and obey all of the signs and signals in Poplar Bluff, MO.
- Walk on Poplar Bluff, MO sidewalks whenever they are available.
- If there is no sidewalk, walk facing traffic and as far from traffic as possible.
- Cross streets at crosswalks or intersections in Poplar Bluff, MO. Look for cars in all directions, including those turning left or right.
- If a crosswalk or intersection is not available, locate an illuminated area where you have the optimal view of Poplar Bluff, MO traffic. Wait for a lapse in traffic that allows sufficient time to cross safely; keep watching for traffic as you cross.
- Watch for Poplar Bluff, MO cars entering or exiting driveways, or backing up in parking lots.
- Avoid alcohol and drugs when walking in Poplar Bluff, MO; they impair your abilities and your judgment.
- Welcome walking as a healthy form of transportation in Poplar Bluff, MO — get up, get out, and get moving.
Call our Poplar Bluff, MO pedestrian accident lawyer today at 636-333-1717 or reach out to us for a no-cost, no-risk case review.
What Are the Common Causes of Poplar Bluff, MO Pedestrian Accidents?
There is no sugarcoating it, Poplar Bluff, MO pedestrian accidents are frightening. In addition to the GHSA and NHTSA reports of increasing annual pedestrian accidents, our Poplar Bluff, MO pedestrian accident lawyers have seen a rise in the severity of the injuries. The Missouri Injury legal team can help you or your loved one in Poplar Bluff, MO receive the compensation you are entitled to under the law. Common causes of Poplar Bluff, MO pedestrian accidents include:
Speeding is dangerous. But, it is one of the most common reckless behaviors drivers participate in on the road in and around Poplar Bluff, MO. On average, speeding contributes to nearly 30 percent of U.S. traffic fatalities annually. Under normal speeds, a collision with a pedestrian can be catastrophic. When a Poplar Bluff, MO motor vehicle is speeding, the results can be deadly. Not only does speeding increase the risk of injury or death in Poplar Bluff, MO, it increases the chance of an accident happening at all. A speeding vehicle takes longer to stop. The Poplar Bluff, MO driver also has less time to act. By the time a Poplar Bluff, MO pedestrian notices a speeding driver is approaching, they may have little time to react.
We all have seen the warnings about texting and driving in and around Poplar Bluff, MO. Sending or receiving a text takes a Poplar Bluff, MO driver’s attention off the road for at least 5 seconds. During that time, which, at 55 mph, equates to driving the length of a football field with your eyes closed, a pedestrian could be crossing the street; a light could turn red… so many things could happen. Along with texting, other causes of Poplar Bluff, MO distracted driving are:
- Adjusting the radio
- Talking to passengers
- Talking on the phone (even with a hands-free device)
- Navigation systems
Driving Under the Influence
Driving under the influence is reckless. Approximately 32 people die every day in the U.S. because of a drunk driver, according to the NHTSA. Worse still, these deaths were all preventable. Driving under the influence in Poplar Bluff, MO impairs an individual’s decision-making skills and can affect motor reflexes. Other dangers in Poplar Bluff, MO are:
- Difficulty concentrating
- Blurry vision
- Delayed reaction time
- Reduced ability to track moving objects
- Decreased alertness
- Inability to multitask
Failure to Yield the Right of Way
Poplar Bluff, MO pedestrians depend on Poplar Bluff, MO drivers to follow right of way laws. When a driver fails to yield the right of way, a Poplar Bluff, MO pedestrian has little time to act. Failure to yield the right of way commonly causes accidents at intersections, when a driver runs through a traffic device or when they fail to look for pedestrians before making a turn.
Bad weather, darkness, sunlight, or structural obstructions in Poplar Bluff, MO can create poor visibility for drivers. During these types of situations, drivers need to use extreme caution. Things a Poplar Bluff, MO driver can do to limit the risk of an accident include:
- Reduce driving speed
- Limit distractions
- Ensure safety devices, including headlights, are in working order
- Pay extra attention to hazards and pedestrians
- Allow extra following distance
- Slow at intersections
Call our Poplar Bluff, MO pedestrian accident lawyer now at 636-333-1717 or reach out to us for a no-cost, no-risk case review.
What is My Poplar Bluff, MO Pedestrian Accident Worth?
While the only way to correctly assess the kinds of damages in any injury claim is through a careful investigation of the case, our Poplar Bluff, MO pedestrian accident lawyer can help you understand what your case might be worth by assessing:
- The particular circumstances of your Poplar Bluff, MO pedestrian accident
- Who was at fault and if you shared any blame
- The kind of injuries sustained and their severity
- Whether you suffered permanent impairment, disability, or disfigurement
- How your injuries affect your quality of life moving forward
- The strength of your negligence case
- The amount of insurance coverage available
What Are Common Poplar Bluff, MO Pedestrian Accident Injuries?
A Poplar Bluff, MO pedestrian is no match for any kind of motor vehicle, no matter the size or situation. If you have been hit by a car or a truck, or even a golf cart, your safety is the number one concern. At Missouri Injury Law, our staff of Poplar Bluff, MO pedestrian accident attorneys can help introduce you to the care you need and fight for the compensation you and your loved ones deserve. Several of these injuries may or may not be obvious at the time of the Poplar Bluff, MO accident. If you notice any symptoms of a significant condition, seek medical attention as soon as possible. And then phone a pedestrian accident lawyer at Missouri Injury Law as soon as possible at 636-333-1717 or contact us. Common injuries after a Poplar Bluff, MO pedestrian accident are:
- Brain Injuries
- Difficulty concentrating
- Mood changes
- Changes in sleep patterns
- Spinal Cord Injuries
- Extreme neck or back pain
- Numbness or tingling
- Difficulty walking
- Difficulty breathing
- Loss of bowel or bladder control
- Severe neck or back distortion
- Broken Bones
- Cuts, Bruises, and Skin Abrasions
- Mental Health Injuries
Motor vehicle accidents are one of the leading causes of traumatic brain injuries. If you have been in a Poplar Bluff, MO pedestrian accident where you bumped your head, you need to watch for any of the following symptoms of TBI, as they can quickly ramp up in Poplar Bluff, MO, and become life-threatening:
Motor vehicle accidents are the number one cause of spinal cord injuries in the U.S. The force of a collision from a Poplar Bluff, MO pedestrian accident can cause serious swelling that could ultimately result in permanent paralysis. Symptoms of a spinal cord injury in Poplar Bluff, MO are:
The human body is not made to withstand the force of a 2,000-plus-pound vehicle. For this reason alone, broken bones are commonplace in Poplar Bluff, MO pedestrian accidents.
Cuts and bruises may seem like minor injuries after a Poplar Bluff, MO pedestrian accident, but they can lead to severe complications, including infections.
There is no way to truly realize how someone feels after a traumatic Poplar Bluff, MO pedestrian accident. We all experience feelings and emotions differently. Following a Poplar Bluff, MO pedestrian accident, it is routine to feel rage, sadness, and confusion. If you are having a hard time after a pedestrian accident in Poplar Bluff, MO, don’t hesitate to reach out for help. Our pedestrian accident lawyer can put you in touch with the right professionals. Call us today at 636-333-1717 or contact us in confidence.
How Do I Prove Who Is Liable for My Injuries In a Poplar Bluff, MO Pedestrian Accident?
To prove that a driver was at fault for causing your Poplar Bluff, MO pedestrian accident injuries, your pedestrian accident lawyer near Poplar Bluff, MO, must prove the following:
- The at-fault driver owed you a duty of care to drive their vehicle safely and legally.
- The driver breached their duty of care when they took an action that violated the duty of care.
- This breach of duty resulted in a pedestrian accident that injured you, and your injury caused economic and noneconomic damages.
Your Poplar Bluff, MO Pedestrian Accident Lawyer | Missouri Injury Law Firm
The pedestrian accident lawyers at Missouri Injury Law have dedicated their livelihoods to fighting for Poplar Bluff, MO residents who have been injured due to a driver’s carelessness. We are passionate about making sure that you and your family have little to worry about while we fight for complete compensation for your Poplar Bluff, MO injuries and damages. Read what our Poplar Bluff, MO clients have to say about our legal representation.
Phone one of our Poplar Bluff, MO pedestrian accident lawyers at Missouri Injury Law now at 636-333-1717 or reach out to us online for a no-cost and no-risk case review near Poplar Bluff, MO.