Pedestrian Accident Lawyer Pulaski, IL
Serving All Missouri Personal Injury VictimsView Full Service Area
Pedestrian Accident Lawyer Pulaski, IL. As a pedestrian, you should never have to be concerned for your safety simply strolling down the sidewalk or roadside. In Pulaski, IL, there are laws in place to protect you, designed to allow pedestrians and motor vehicles to share the same space. Somehow though, day after day, Pulaski, IL accidents between motorists and pedestrians continue to happen.
If you or someone you love has been involved in a Pulaski, IL pedestrian accident, call the Missouri Injury Law Firm immediately at 636-333-1717 or contact us for a complimentary, confidential consultation. Our Pulaski, IL pedestrian accident lawyer will meet with you as soon as possible near Pulaski, IL to discuss your case and protect your interests. If you have sustained injuries and have lost work and wages because of the Pulaski, IL accident, you deserve an expert pedestrian accident lawyer from Missouri Injury Law fighting in your corner.
What Are My Rights Following a Pulaski, IL Pedestrian Accident?
If you’ve been injured in a Pulaski, IL pedestrian accident, you may have a right to recover damages under state law. In Missouri, accident victims have five years from the date of the incident to file a personal injury suit against the at-fault party. In Illinois, you have two years to file a claim. Following your accident, don’t wait to call our Pulaski, IL skilled pedestrian accident lawyer at 636-333-1717 or reach out to us to assist in understanding your rights and helping you fight for the compensation you deserve.
Damages may include, but are not limited to:
- Medical costs — Serious Pulaski, IL injuries can run up thousands of dollars in medical costs. Covered costs differ from case to case but frequently include:
- Doctor visits
- Medical devices
- Follow-up care
- Pain and suffering — Pulaski, IL pedestrian accidents can cause serious physical and emotional pain. When an injury or accident near Pulaski, IL, generates physical and emotional stress, the law permits you to claim these as damages. Some examples include:
- Loss of enjoyment
- Lost wages — If you sustain a serious injury in Pulaski, IL, you might not be able to return to work right away. In the event you can’t get back to work, your Pulaski, IL pedestrian accident lawyer may ask for future wages.
- Wrongful death — Sadly and unfortunately, some Pulaski, IL pedestrian accidents may be too severe for the survival of a loved one. In such a case, you or a family member near Pulaski, IL, may have a wrongful death claim. This type of claim may include:
- Pain and suffering
- Medical costs
- Lost wages
- Loss of guidance
- Loss of consortium
- Outstanding medical costs
How Common Are Pulaski, IL Pedestrian Accidents?
According to a recent report from the Governors Highway Safety Association, there were an estimated 7,485 pedestrian deaths in 2021, an increase of 11.5 percent from the previous year. This is the largest number of pedestrian fatalities in four decades. From 2010-2020, pedestrian deaths increased by 54 percent while other traffic deaths combined for an increase of 13 percent.
In addition to the GHSA data, the report also studied the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's (NHTSA) Fatality Analysis Reporting System to further probe safety trends. The research revealed a staggering statistic: The percentage of speeding-related pedestrian deaths among children younger than 15 in has more than doubled since 2018, from 5.8% to 11.9%.
There were 1,341 reported pedestrian accidents in 2021 in Missouri alone, injuring 1,118 and killing 132 individuals, according to the Missouri State Highway Patrol.
Due to these staggering and unsettling numbers, the NHTSA and the Federal Highway Administration launched “Everyone is a Pedestrian” to curb accidents. The organization provides resources, including these safety tips for Pulaski, IL pedestrian and drivers:
8 Safety Tips for Pulaski, IL Drivers
- Look out for Pulaski, IL pedestrians everywhere, at all times.
- Use extra caution when driving in hard-to-see situations, like nighttime or bad weather in Pulaski, IL.
- Slow down and be prepared to stop when turning or otherwise entering a Pulaski, IL crosswalk.
- Yield to pedestrians in crosswalks and stop well back from the crosswalk to give other Pulaski, IL vehicles an opportunity to see the crossing pedestrians so they can stop, too.
- Never pass vehicles stopped at a Pulaski, IL crosswalk. There may be individuals crossing where you can’t see.
- Never drive under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs in Pulaski, IL.
- Follow the speed limit, especially around people on the street, in school zones, and in Pulaski, IL neighborhoods where children are present.
- Be extremely cautious when backing up and be on the look out for Pulaski, IL pedestrians.
8 Safety Tips for Pulaski, IL Pedestrians
- Follow the rules of the road and obey all of the signs and signals in Pulaski, IL.
- Walk on Pulaski, IL sidewalks whenever they are available.
- If there is no sidewalk, walk facing traffic and as far from traffic as possible.
- Cross streets at crosswalks or intersections in Pulaski, IL. Look for cars in all directions, including those turning left or right.
- If a crosswalk or intersection is not available, find a well-lit area where you have the best view of Pulaski, IL traffic. Wait for a lapse in traffic that allows sufficient time to cross safely; keep looking for traffic as you cross.
- Watch for Pulaski, IL vehicles entering or exiting driveways, or reversing in parking lots.
- Avoid alcohol and drugs when walking in Pulaski, IL; they impair your abilities and your judgment.
- Welcome walking as a healthy form of transportation in Pulaski, IL — get up, get out, and get moving.
What Are the Common Causes of Pulaski, IL Pedestrian Accidents?
There is no minimizing it, Pulaski, IL pedestrian accidents are frightening. In addition to the GHSA and NHTSA reports of increasing pedestrian accidents year-to-year, our Pulaski, IL pedestrian accident lawyers have seen the injuries becoming more and more severe. The Missouri Injury legal team can help you or your loved one in Pulaski, IL receive the compensation you are entitled to under the law. Common causes of Pulaski, IL pedestrian accidents include:
Speeding is dangerous. However, it is one of the most common reckless behaviors drivers participate in on the road in and around Pulaski, IL. On average, speeding contributes to approximately 30 percent of annual U.S. traffic fatalities. A collision with a pedestrian can be catastrophic under normal speeds. When a Pulaski, IL driver is speeding, the results can be deadly. Not only does speeding increase the risk of injury or death in Pulaski, IL, it increases the chance of an accident occurring at all. A speeding vehicle needs more time to stop. The Pulaski, IL driver also has less time to react. By the time a Pulaski, IL pedestrian realizes a speeding driver is approaching, they may have little time to react.
We all have heard the warnings about texting and driving in and around Pulaski, IL. Sending or receiving a text takes a Pulaski, IL driver’s attention off the road for at least 5 seconds. In that amount of time, which, at 55 mph, equates to driving the length of a football field with your eyes closed, a pedestrian could be crossing the street; a light could turn red… so many things could happen. In addition to texting, other causes of Pulaski, IL distracted driving include:
- Adjusting the radio
- Talking to passengers
- Talking on the phone (even with a hands-free device)
- Navigation systems
Driving Under the Influence
Driving under the influence is careless. Approximately 32 people die each day in the U.S. because of a drunk driver, according to the NHTSA. Worse still, these deaths were all preventable. Driving under the influence in Pulaski, IL hinders a person’s decision-making skills and can affect motor reflexes. Other dangers in Pulaski, IL include:
- Difficulty concentrating
- Blurry vision
- Delayed reaction time
- Reduced ability to track moving objects
- Decreased alertness
- Inability to multitask
Failure to Yield the Right of Way
Pulaski, IL pedestrians depend on Pulaski, IL drivers to obey right of way laws. When a driver fails to yield the right of way, a Pulaski, IL pedestrian has little time to act. Accidents at intersections, when a driver runs through a traffic device or when they fail to look for pedestrians before making a turn, are commonplace failures to yield the right of way.
Bad weather, darkness, sunlight, or structural obstructions in Pulaski, IL can create poor visibility for drivers. During these kinds of scenarios, drivers need to exercise extreme caution. Things a Pulaski, IL driver can do to lessen the risk of an accident include:
- Reduce driving speed
- Limit distractions
- Ensure safety devices, including headlights, are in working order
- Pay extra attention to hazards and pedestrians
- Allow extra following distance
- Yield at intersections
What is My Pulaski, IL Pedestrian Accident Worth?
While the only way to correctly evaluate the types of damages in any injury claim is through a diligent investigation of the case, our Pulaski, IL pedestrian accident lawyer can help you understand what your case might be worth by assessing:
- The particular circumstances of your Pulaski, IL pedestrian accident
- Who was at fault and if you shared any blame
- The type of injuries sustained and their severity
- Whether you suffered permanent impairment, disability, or disfigurement
- How your injuries affect your quality of life moving forward
- The strength of your negligence case
- The amount of insurance coverage available
What Are Common Pulaski, IL Pedestrian Accident Injuries?
A Pulaski, IL pedestrian is no match for any kind of motor vehicle, no matter the size or situation. If you have been hit by a car or a truck, or even a golf cart, your safety is the main priority. At Missouri Injury Law, our team of Pulaski, IL pedestrian accident attorneys can help direct you to the care you need and fight for the compensation you and your loved ones deserve. Several of these injuries may or may not be apparent at the time of the Pulaski, IL accident. If you experience any symptoms of a significant condition, seek medical attention immediately. And then phone a pedestrian accident lawyer at Missouri Injury Law as soon as possible at 636-333-1717 or contact us. Common injuries after a Pulaski, IL pedestrian accident include:
- Brain Injuries
- Difficulty concentrating
- Mood changes
- Changes in sleep patterns
- Spinal Cord Injuries
- Severe neck or back pain
- Numbness or tingling
- Difficulty walking
- Difficulty breathing
- Loss of bowel or bladder control
- Extreme neck or back distortion
- Broken Bones
- Cuts, Bruises, and Skin Abrasions
- Mental Health Injuries
Motor vehicle accidents are one of the leading causes of traumatic brain injuries. If you have been in a Pulaski, IL pedestrian accident where you bumped your head, you need to watch for any of the following symptoms of TBI, as they can quickly ramp up in Pulaski, IL, and turn life-threatening:
Motor vehicle accidents are the number one cause of spinal cord injuries in the U.S. The force of the impact of a Pulaski, IL pedestrian accident can cause severe swelling that can ultimately result in permanent paralysis. Symptoms of a spinal cord injury in Pulaski, IL include:
The human body is not made to sustain the force of a 2,000-plus-pound vehicle. For this reason alone, broken bones are commonplace in Pulaski, IL pedestrian accidents.
Cuts and bruises may seem relatively minor after a Pulaski, IL pedestrian accident, but they can lead to major complications, including infections.
There is no way to completely know how someone feels after a traumatic Pulaski, IL pedestrian accident. We all deal with feelings and emotions differently. After a Pulaski, IL pedestrian accident, it is routine to feel rage, sadness, and confusion. If you are having a hard time after a pedestrian accident in Pulaski, IL, don’t hesitate to reach out for help. Our pedestrian accident lawyer can put you in contact with the right people. Give us a call today at 636-333-1717 or contact us in confidence.
How Do I Prove Who Is Liable for My Injuries In a Pulaski, IL Pedestrian Accident?
To prove that a driver was at fault for causing your Pulaski, IL pedestrian accident injuries, your pedestrian accident lawyer near Pulaski, IL, must prove the following:
- The at-fault driver owed you a duty of care to drive their vehicle safely and legally.
- The driver breached their duty of care when they took an action that violated the duty of care.
- This breach of duty resulted in a pedestrian accident that injured you, and your injury caused economic and noneconomic damages.
Your Pulaski, IL Pedestrian Accident Lawyer | Missouri Injury Law Firm
The pedestrian accident lawyers at Missouri Injury Law have dedicated their careers to fighting for Pulaski, IL residents who have been injured as a result of a driver’s carelessness. We care about making sure that you and your family have little to worry about while we fight for maximum compensation for your Pulaski, IL injuries and damages. Read what our Pulaski, IL clients feel about our legal representation.