Pedestrian Accident Lawyer Richmond Heights, MO
Serving All Missouri Personal Injury VictimsView Full Service Area
Pedestrian Accident Lawyer Richmond Heights, MO. As a pedestrian, you should never have to fear for your safety doing something as simple as walking on the sidewalk or roadside. In Richmond Heights, MO, there are laws in place to protect you, designed to allow pedestrians and motor vehicles to share the same space. Somehow though, several times a day, Richmond Heights, MO accidents between motorists and pedestrians still happen.
If you or a loved one has been involved in a Richmond Heights, MO pedestrian accident, call the Missouri Injury Law Firm immediately at 636-333-1717 or contact us for a no-cost, no-risk consultation. Our Richmond Heights, MO pedestrian accident lawyer will meet with you as soon as possible near Richmond Heights, MO to discuss your case and protect your interests. If you have suffered injuries and have lost work and wages due to the Richmond Heights, MO accident, you need an expert pedestrian accident lawyer from Missouri Injury Law fighting in your corner.
What Are My Rights After a Richmond Heights, MO Pedestrian Accident?
If you’ve been injured in a Richmond Heights, MO pedestrian accident, you may be able to recover damages under state law. In Missouri, accident victims have five years from the date of the accident to file a personal injury suit against the at-fault party. In Illinois, you have two years to file a claim. Following your accident, don’t wait to call our Richmond Heights, MO professional pedestrian accident lawyer at 636-333-1717 or contact us to help you understand your rights and assist you in fighting for the compensation you deserve.
Damages may include, but are not limited to:
- Medical costs — Serious Richmond Heights, MO injuries can incur thousands of dollars in medical costs. Covered costs vary from case to case but often include:
- Doctor visits
- Medical devices
- Follow-up care
- Pain and suffering — Richmond Heights, MO pedestrian accidents can cause serious physical and emotional pain. When an injury or accident near Richmond Heights, MO, brings about physical and emotional stress, the law allows you to claim these as damages. Some examples include:
- Loss of enjoyment
- Lost wages — If you suffer a serious injury in Richmond Heights, MO, you may not be able to return to work immediately. In the event you can’t get back to work, your Richmond Heights, MO pedestrian accident lawyer may ask for future wages.
- Wrongful death — Sadly and unfortunately, some Richmond Heights, MO pedestrian accidents may be too severe for the survival of a loved one. In this case, you or a family member near Richmond Heights, MO, may have a wrongful death claim. This type of claim may include:
- Pain and suffering
- Medical costs
- Lost wages
- Loss of guidance
- Loss of consortium
- Outstanding medical costs
How Common Are Richmond Heights, MO Pedestrian Accidents?
According to a recent report from the Governors Highway Safety Association, there were an estimated 7,485 pedestrian deaths in 2021, an increase of 11.5 percent from the previous year. This is the largest number of pedestrian fatalities in four decades. From 2010-2020, pedestrian deaths increased by 54 percent while other traffic deaths combined for an increase of 13 percent.
In addition to the GHSA data, the report also studied the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's (NHTSA) Fatality Analysis Reporting System to further probe safety trends. The analysis showed a troubling statistic: The percentage of speeding-related pedestrian deaths among children younger than 15 in has more than doubled since 2018, from 5.8% to 11.9%.
There were 1,341 reported pedestrian accidents in 2021 in Missouri alone, injuring 1,118 and 132 deaths, via the Missouri State Highway Patrol.
Due to these staggering and unsettling statistics, the NHTSA and the Federal Highway Administration started “Everyone is a Pedestrian” to curb accidents. The initiative provides resources, including the following safety tips for Richmond Heights, MO pedestrian and drivers:
8 Safety Tips for Richmond Heights, MO Drivers
- Look out for Richmond Heights, MO pedestrians everywhere, at all times.
- Use extra caution when driving in hard-to-see situations, like nighttime or bad weather in Richmond Heights, MO.
- Slow down and be ready to stop when turning or otherwise entering a Richmond Heights, MO crosswalk.
- Yield to pedestrians in crosswalks and stop well back from the crosswalk to give other Richmond Heights, MO vehicles an opportunity to see the crossing pedestrians so they can stop, too.
- Never pass vehicles stopped at a Richmond Heights, MO crosswalk. There may be individuals crossing where you can’t see.
- Never drive under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs in Richmond Heights, MO.
- Follow the speed limit, especially around people on the street, in school zones, and in Richmond Heights, MO neighborhoods where children are present.
- Be extremely cautious when backing up and look for Richmond Heights, MO pedestrians.
8 Safety Tips for Richmond Heights, MO Pedestrians
- Follow the rules of the road and obey all of the signs and signals in Richmond Heights, MO.
- Walk on Richmond Heights, MO sidewalks whenever they are available.
- If there is no sidewalk, walk facing traffic and as far from traffic as possible.
- Cross streets at crosswalks or intersections in Richmond Heights, MO. Look for cars in all directions, including those turning left or right.
- If a crosswalk or intersection is not available, find an illuminated area where you have the best view of Richmond Heights, MO traffic. Wait for a gap in traffic allowing enough time to cross safely; continue looking for traffic as you cross.
- Watch for Richmond Heights, MO vehicles entering or exiting driveways, or backing up in parking lots.
- Avoid alcohol and drugs when walking in Richmond Heights, MO; they impair your abilities and your judgment.
- Embrace walking as a healthy form of transportation in Richmond Heights, MO — get up, get out, and get moving.
What Are the Common Causes of Richmond Heights, MO Pedestrian Accidents?
There is no sugarcoating it, Richmond Heights, MO pedestrian accidents are frightening. In addition to the GHSA and NHTSA reports of increased annual pedestrian accidents, our Richmond Heights, MO pedestrian accident attorneys have seen the injuries becoming more and more severe. The Missouri Injury legal team can help you or your loved one in Richmond Heights, MO receive the compensation you are entitled to under the law. Common causes of Richmond Heights, MO pedestrian accidents are:
Speeding is dangerous. However, it is one of the most common reckless behaviors drivers participate in on the road in and around Richmond Heights, MO. On average, speeding contributes to almost 30 percent of annual U.S. traffic fatalities. Under normal speeds, a collision with a pedestrian can be catastrophic. When a Richmond Heights, MO motor vehicle is speeding, the results can be deadly. Not only does speeding increase the risk of injury or death in Richmond Heights, MO, it increases the chance of an accident occurring at all. A speeding vehicle takes longer to stop. The Richmond Heights, MO driver also has less time to act. By the time a Richmond Heights, MO pedestrian realizes a speeding driver is approaching, they may have little time to react.
We all have heard the warnings about texting and driving in and around Richmond Heights, MO. Sending or receiving a text takes a Richmond Heights, MO driver’s attention off the road for at least 5 seconds. In that amount of time, which, at 55 mph, equates to driving the length of a football field with your eyes closed, a pedestrian could be crossing the street; a light could turn red… so many things could happen. Along with texting, other causes of Richmond Heights, MO distracted driving include:
- Adjusting the radio
- Talking to passengers
- Talking on the phone (even with a hands-free device)
- Navigation systems
Driving Under the Influence
Driving under the influence is reckless. Approximately 32 people die each day in the U.S. because of a drunk driver, according to the NHTSA. Worse still, these deaths were all preventable. Driving under the influence in Richmond Heights, MO impairs a person’s decision-making skills and can affect motor reflexes. Other dangers in Richmond Heights, MO include:
- Difficulty concentrating
- Blurry vision
- Delayed reaction time
- Reduced ability to track moving objects
- Decreased alertness
- Inability to multitask
Failure to Yield the Right of Way
Richmond Heights, MO pedestrians depend on Richmond Heights, MO drivers to follow right of way laws. When a driver fails to yield the right of way, a Richmond Heights, MO pedestrian has little time to act. Failure to yield the right of way commonly causes accidents at intersections, when a driver runs through a traffic device or when they fail to look for pedestrians before making a turn.
Bad weather, darkness, sunlight, or structural obstructions in Richmond Heights, MO can create poor visibility for drivers. During these types of situations, drivers need to exercise extra caution. Things a Richmond Heights, MO driver can do to lessen the risk of an accident include:
- Reduce driving speed
- Limit distractions
- Ensure safety devices, including headlights, are in working order
- Pay extra attention to hazards and pedestrians
- Allow extra following distance
- Brake at intersections
What is My Richmond Heights, MO Pedestrian Accident Worth?
While the only way to correctly assess the types of damages in any injury claim is through a careful investigation of the case, our Richmond Heights, MO pedestrian accident lawyer can assist you in understanding what your case might be worth by assessing:
- The particular circumstances of your Richmond Heights, MO pedestrian accident
- Who was at fault and if you shared any blame
- The type of injuries sustained and their severity
- Whether you suffered permanent impairment, disability, or disfigurement
- How your injuries affect your quality of life moving forward
- The strength of your negligence case
- The amount of insurance coverage available
What Are Common Richmond Heights, MO Pedestrian Accident Injuries?
A Richmond Heights, MO pedestrian is no match for any sort of motor vehicle, no matter the size or situation. If you have been struck by a car or a truck, or even a golf cart, your safety is the number one concern. At Missouri Injury Law, our staff of Richmond Heights, MO pedestrian accident attorneys can help direct you to the care you need and fight for the compensation you and your loved ones are entitled to. Some of these injuries may or may not be apparent at the time of the Richmond Heights, MO accident. If you show any symptoms of a serious condition, seek medical attention as soon as possible. And then call a pedestrian accident lawyer at Missouri Injury Law as soon as possible at 636-333-1717 or contact us. Common injuries after a Richmond Heights, MO pedestrian accident are:
- Brain Injuries
- Difficulty concentrating
- Mood changes
- Changes in sleep patterns
- Spinal Cord Injuries
- Extreme neck or back pain
- Numbness or tingling
- Difficulty walking
- Difficulty breathing
- Loss of bowel or bladder control
- Severe neck or back distortion
- Broken Bones
- Cuts, Bruises, and Skin Abrasions
- Mental Health Injuries
Motor vehicle accidents are one of the leading causes of traumatic brain injuries. If you have been in a Richmond Heights, MO pedestrian accident where you bumped your head, you need to watch for any of the following symptoms of TBI, as they can escalate quickly in Richmond Heights, MO, and turn life-threatening:
Motor vehicle accidents are the number one cause of spinal cord injuries in the U.S. The severity of a collision from a Richmond Heights, MO pedestrian accident can cause severe swelling that can eventually result in permanent paralysis. Symptoms of a spinal cord injury in Richmond Heights, MO include:
The human body is not made to sustain the force of a 2,000-plus-pound vehicle. For this reason alone, broken bones are commonplace in Richmond Heights, MO pedestrian accidents.
Cuts and bruises may seem like minor injuries after a Richmond Heights, MO pedestrian accident, but they can lead to severe complications, including infections.
There is no way to truly understand how someone feels in the aftermath of a traumatic Richmond Heights, MO pedestrian accident. We all experience feelings and emotions differently. After a Richmond Heights, MO pedestrian accident, it is routine to feel intense anger, sadness, and confusion. If you are having difficulty after a pedestrian accident in Richmond Heights, MO, do not hesitate reaching out for help. Our pedestrian accident lawyer can put you in touch with the right people. Give us a call today at 636-333-1717 or contact us in confidence.
How Do I Prove Who Is Liable for My Injuries In a Richmond Heights, MO Pedestrian Accident?
To prove that a driver was at fault for causing your Richmond Heights, MO pedestrian accident injuries, your pedestrian accident lawyer near Richmond Heights, MO, must show the following:
- The at-fault driver owed you a duty of care to drive their vehicle safely and legally.
- The driver breached their duty of care when they took an action that violated the duty of care.
- This breach of duty resulted in a pedestrian accident that injured you, and your injury caused economic and noneconomic damages.
Your Richmond Heights, MO Pedestrian Accident Lawyer | Missouri Injury Law Firm
The pedestrian accident lawyers at Missouri Injury Law have devoted their livelihoods to fighting for Richmond Heights, MO residents who have been injured due to a driver’s recklessness. We care about guaranteeing that you and your family have little to worry about while we fight for maximum compensation for your Richmond Heights, MO injuries and damages. Read what our Richmond Heights, MO clients have to say about our legal representation.