Pedestrian Accident Lawyer Rolla, MO
Serving All Missouri Personal Injury VictimsView Full Service Area
Pedestrian Accident Lawyer Rolla, MO. As a pedestrian, you should never have to be concerned for your safety doing something as simple as strolling down the sidewalk or roadside. In Rolla, MO, there are laws in place to protect you, designed to allow pedestrians and motor vehicles to share the same space. Somehow though, day after day, Rolla, MO accidents between motorists and pedestrians continue to happen.
If you or someone you love has been injured in a Rolla, MO pedestrian accident, call the Missouri Injury Law Firm immediately at 636-333-1717 or reach out to us for a no-cost, no-risk consultation. Our Rolla, MO pedestrian accident lawyer will meet with you as soon as possible near Rolla, MO to discuss your case and protect your interests. If you have suffered injuries and have lost work and wages because of the Rolla, MO accident, you deserve an expert pedestrian accident lawyer from Missouri Injury Law fighting in your corner.
What Are My Rights After a Rolla, MO Pedestrian Accident?
If you’ve been injured in a Rolla, MO pedestrian accident, you may be able to recover damages under state law. In Missouri, accident victims have five years from the date of the accident to file a personal injury claim against the at-fault party. In Illinois, you have two years to file a claim. After your accident, be sure to call our Rolla, MO skilled pedestrian accident attorney at 636-333-1717 or contact us to assist in understanding your rights and helping you fight for the compensation you are entitled to.
Damages may include, but are not limited to:
- Medical costs — Serious Rolla, MO injuries can run up thousands of dollars in medical costs. Covered costs differ from case to case but frequently include:
- Doctor visits
- Medical devices
- Follow-up care
- Pain and suffering — Rolla, MO pedestrian accidents can create serious physical and emotional pain. When an injury or accident near Rolla, MO, generates physical and emotional stress, the law allows you to claim these as damages. Some examples are:
- Loss of enjoyment
- Lost wages — If you suffer a serious injury in Rolla, MO, you may not be able to return to your job as soon as you might like. In the event you can’t get back to work, your Rolla, MO pedestrian accident lawyer may request future wages.
- Wrongful death — Sadly and unfortunately, some Rolla, MO pedestrian accidents may be too severe for the survival of a loved one. In this case, you or a family member near Rolla, MO, may have a wrongful death case. This kind of claim may include:
- Pain and suffering
- Medical costs
- Lost wages
- Loss of guidance
- Loss of consortium
- Outstanding medical costs
How Common Are Rolla, MO Pedestrian Accidents?
According to a recent report from the Governors Highway Safety Association, there were an estimated 7,485 pedestrian deaths in 2021, an increase of 11.5 percent from the previous year. This is the largest number of pedestrian fatalities in four decades. From 2010-2020, pedestrian deaths increased by 54 percent while other traffic deaths combined for an increase of 13 percent.
Alongside the GHSA data, the report also studied the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's (NHTSA) Fatality Analysis Reporting System to further probe safety trends. The research revealed a troubling statistic: The percentage of speeding-related pedestrian deaths among children younger than 15 in has more than doubled since 2018, from 5.8% to 11.9%.
There were 1,341 reported pedestrian accidents in 2021 in Missouri alone, with 1,118 injuries and 132 deaths, via the Missouri State Highway Patrol.
Because of these staggering and unsettling numbers, the NHTSA and the Federal Highway Administration launched “Everyone is a Pedestrian” to curb accidents. The initiative provides resources, including these safety tips for Rolla, MO pedestrian and drivers:
8 Safety Tips for Rolla, MO Drivers
- Look out for Rolla, MO pedestrians everywhere, at all times.
- Use extreme caution when driving in hard-to-see conditions, such as nighttime or bad weather in Rolla, MO.
- Slow down and be prepared to stop when turning or otherwise entering a Rolla, MO crosswalk.
- Yield to pedestrians in crosswalks and stop well back from the crosswalk to give other Rolla, MO vehicles an opportunity to see the crossing pedestrians so they can stop, too.
- Never pass vehicles stopped at a Rolla, MO crosswalk. There could be individuals crossing where you can’t see.
- Never drive under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs in Rolla, MO.
- Follow the speed limit, particularly around people on the street, in school zones, and in Rolla, MO neighborhoods where children are present.
- Be extremely cautious when backing up and be on the look out for Rolla, MO pedestrians.
8 Safety Tips for Rolla, MO Pedestrians
- Follow the rules of the road and obey all signs and signals in Rolla, MO.
- Walk on Rolla, MO sidewalks whenever they are available.
- If there is no sidewalk, walk facing traffic and as far from traffic as possible.
- Cross streets at crosswalks or intersections in Rolla, MO. Look for cars in all directions, including those turning left or right.
- If there is no crosswalk or intersection, find a well-lit area where you have the best view of Rolla, MO traffic. Wait for a lapse in traffic allowing enough time to cross safely; keep watching for traffic as you cross.
- Watch for Rolla, MO vehicles entering or exiting driveways, or reversing in parking lots.
- Avoid alcohol and drugs when walking in Rolla, MO; they impair your abilities and your judgment.
- Embrace walking as a healthy form of transportation in Rolla, MO — get up, get out, and get moving.
What Are the Common Causes of Rolla, MO Pedestrian Accidents?
There is no minimizing it, Rolla, MO pedestrian accidents are frightening. In addition to the GHSA and NHTSA reports of increasing pedestrian accidents year-to-year, our Rolla, MO pedestrian accident attorneys have noticed the injuries becoming more and more severe. The Missouri Injury legal team can help you or your loved one in Rolla, MO receive the compensation you are due under the law. Common causes of Rolla, MO pedestrian accidents include:
Speeding is dangerous. Yet, it is one of the most common reckless behaviors drivers participate in on the road in and around Rolla, MO. On average, speeding contributes to approximately 30 percent of U.S. traffic fatalities annually. A collision with a pedestrian can be catastrophic under normal speeds. When a Rolla, MO driver is speeding, the results can be deadly. Not only does speeding increase the risk of injury or death in Rolla, MO, it increases the chance of an accident occurring at all. A speeding vehicle needs more time to stop. The Rolla, MO driver also has less time to act. By the time a Rolla, MO pedestrian recognizes a speeding driver is getting close, they essentially have little time to react.
We all have seen the warnings about texting and driving in and around Rolla, MO. Sending or receiving a text takes a Rolla, MO driver’s attention off the road for at least 5 seconds. In that amount of time, which, at 55 mph, equates to driving the length of a football field with your eyes closed, a pedestrian could be crossing the street; a light could turn red… so many things could happen. In addition to texting, other causes of Rolla, MO distracted driving are:
- Adjusting the radio
- Talking to passengers
- Talking on the phone (even with a hands-free device)
- Navigation systems
Driving Under the Influence
Driving under the influence is reckless. Approximately 32 people die each day in the U.S. because of a drunk driver, according to the NHTSA. Worse still, these deaths were all preventable. Driving under the influence in Rolla, MO impedes an individual’s decision-making skills and can affect motor reflexes. Other dangers in Rolla, MO are:
- Difficulty concentrating
- Blurry vision
- Delayed reaction time
- Reduced ability to track moving objects
- Decreased alertness
- Inability to multitask
Failure to Yield the Right of Way
Rolla, MO pedestrians depend on Rolla, MO drivers to obey right of way laws. When a driver fails to yield the right of way, a Rolla, MO pedestrian has little time to react. Failure to yield the right of way commonly causes accidents at intersections, when a driver runs through a traffic device or when they fail to look for pedestrians before making a turn.
Bad weather, darkness, sunlight, or structural obstructions in Rolla, MO can create poor visibility for drivers. During these types of situations, drivers need to use extra caution. Things a Rolla, MO driver can do to lessen the risk of an accident include:
- Reduce driving speed
- Limit distractions
- Make sure safety devices, including headlights, are in working order
- Pay extra attention to hazards and pedestrians
- Allow extra following distance
- Slow at intersections
What is My Rolla, MO Pedestrian Accident Worth?
While the only way to correctly evaluate the types of damages in any injury claim is through a careful investigation of the case, our Rolla, MO pedestrian accident lawyer can assist you in understanding what your case may be worth by assessing:
- The particular circumstances of your Rolla, MO pedestrian accident
- Who was at fault and if you shared any blame
- The type of injuries sustained and their severity
- Whether you suffered permanent impairment, disability, or disfigurement
- How your injuries affect your quality of life moving forward
- The strength of your negligence case
- The amount of insurance coverage available
What Are Common Rolla, MO Pedestrian Accident Injuries?
A Rolla, MO pedestrian is no match for any kind of motor vehicle, no matter the size or scenario. If you have been struck by a car or a truck, or even a golf cart, your well-being is the main concern. At Missouri Injury Law, our staff of Rolla, MO pedestrian accident attorneys can help introduce you to the care you need and fight for the compensation you and your family are entitled to. Several of these injuries may or may not be obvious at the time of the Rolla, MO accident. If you show any symptoms of a serious condition, seek medical attention immediately. And then phone a pedestrian accident lawyer at Missouri Injury Law as soon as possible at 636-333-1717 or contact us. Common injuries after a Rolla, MO pedestrian accident include:
- Brain Injuries
- Difficulty concentrating
- Mood changes
- Changes in sleep patterns
- Spinal Cord Injuries
- Severe neck or back pain
- Numbness or tingling
- Difficulty walking
- Difficulty breathing
- Loss of bowel or bladder control
- Extreme neck or back distortion
- Broken Bones
- Cuts, Bruises, and Skin Abrasions
- Mental Health Injuries
Motor vehicle accidents are one of the leading causes of traumatic brain injuries. If you have been in a Rolla, MO pedestrian accident where you hit your head, you need to watch for any of the following symptoms of TBI, as they can quickly ramp up in Rolla, MO, and become life-threatening:
Motor vehicle accidents are the number one cause of spinal cord injuries in the U.S. The force of a collision from a Rolla, MO pedestrian accident can cause serious swelling that can eventually result in permanent paralysis. Symptoms of a spinal cord injury in Rolla, MO include:
The human body is not designed to sustain the force of a 2,000-plus-pound vehicle. For this reason alone, broken bones are commonplace in Rolla, MO pedestrian accidents.
Cuts and bruises may seem like minor injuries after a Rolla, MO pedestrian accident, but they can lead to serious complications, including infections.
There is no way to completely understand how someone feels in the aftermath of a traumatic Rolla, MO pedestrian accident. We all deal with feelings and emotions differently. Following a Rolla, MO pedestrian accident, it is normal to feel intense anger, sadness, and confusion. If you are having a hard time after a pedestrian accident in Rolla, MO, do not hesitate to reach out for help. Our pedestrian accident lawyer can put you in touch with the right people. Give us a call today at 636-333-1717 or contact us in confidence.
How Do I Prove Who Is Liable for My Injuries In a Rolla, MO Pedestrian Accident?
To prove that a driver was at fault for causing your Rolla, MO pedestrian accident injuries, your pedestrian accident lawyer near Rolla, MO, must show the following:
- The at-fault driver owed you a duty of care to drive their vehicle safely and legally.
- The driver breached their duty of care when they took an action that violated the duty of care.
- This breach of duty resulted in a pedestrian accident that injured you, and your injury caused economic and noneconomic damages.
Your Rolla, MO Pedestrian Accident Lawyer | Missouri Injury Law Firm
The pedestrian accident lawyers at Missouri Injury Law have dedicated their livelihoods to fighting for Rolla, MO residents who have been injured as a result of a driver’s recklessness. We are passionate about making sure that you and your family have little to worry about while we fight for maximum compensation for your Rolla, MO injuries and damages. See what our Rolla, MO clients have to say about our legal representation.