Pedestrian Accident Lawyer Sikeston, MO
Serving All Missouri Personal Injury VictimsView Full Service Area
Pedestrian Accident Lawyer Sikeston, MO. As a pedestrian, you should not have to fear for your safety doing something as simple as walking on the sidewalk or roadside. In Sikeston, MO, there are laws in place to protect you, designed to allow pedestrians and motor vehicles to share the same space. Somehow though, several times a day, Sikeston, MO accidents between motorists and pedestrians continue to occur.
If you or a loved one has been involved in a Sikeston, MO pedestrian accident, call the Missouri Injury Law Firm immediately at 636-333-1717 or reach out to us for a no-cost, no-risk consultation. Our Sikeston, MO pedestrian accident lawyer will meet with you as soon as possible near Sikeston, MO to discuss your case and protect your interests. If you have suffered injuries and have lost work and wages due to the Sikeston, MO accident, you deserve an expert pedestrian accident lawyer from Missouri Injury Law standing by your side.
What Are My Rights Following a Sikeston, MO Pedestrian Accident?
If you have been injured in a Sikeston, MO pedestrian accident, you may be able to recover damages under state law. In Missouri, accident victims have five years from the date of the incident to file a personal injury suit against the at-fault party. In Illinois, you have two years to file a claim. Following your accident, don’t hesitate to call our Sikeston, MO professional pedestrian accident lawyer at 636-333-1717 or contact us to help you understand your rights and assist you in fighting for the compensation you deserve.
Damages may include, but are not limited to:
- Medical costs — Severe Sikeston, MO injuries can run up thousands of dollars in medical costs. Covered costs differ from case to case but frequently include:
- Doctor visits
- Medical devices
- Follow-up care
- Pain and suffering — Sikeston, MO pedestrian accidents can create serious physical and emotional pain. When an injury or accident near Sikeston, MO, causes you physical and emotional stress, the law allows you to claim these as damages. A few examples are:
- Loss of enjoyment
- Lost wages — If you suffer a serious injury in Sikeston, MO, you may not be able to return to your job right away. In the event you can’t get back to work, your Sikeston, MO pedestrian accident lawyer may request future wages.
- Wrongful death — Sadly and unfortunately, some Sikeston, MO pedestrian accidents may be too severe for your loved one. In such a case, you or a family member near Sikeston, MO, may have a wrongful death claim. This type of claim may include:
- Pain and suffering
- Medical costs
- Lost wages
- Loss of guidance
- Loss of consortium
- Outstanding medical costs
How Common Are Sikeston, MO Pedestrian Accidents?
According to a recent report from the Governors Highway Safety Association, there were an estimated 7,485 pedestrian deaths in 2021, an increase of 11.5 percent from the previous year. This is the largest number of pedestrian fatalities in four decades. From 2010-2020, pedestrian deaths increased by 54 percent while other traffic deaths combined for an increase of 13 percent.
Alongside the GHSA data, the report also analyzed the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's (NHTSA) Fatality Analysis Reporting System to further review safety trends. The research showed a troubling statistic: The percentage of speeding-related pedestrian deaths among children younger than 15 in has more than doubled since 2018, from 5.8% to 11.9%.
There were 1,341 reported pedestrian accidents in 2021 in Missouri alone, with 1,118 injuries and 132 deaths, according to the Missouri State Highway Patrol.
Because of these staggering and unsettling numbers, the NHTSA and the Federal Highway Administration launched “Everyone is a Pedestrian” to curb accidents. The organization offers resources, including these safety tips for Sikeston, MO pedestrian and drivers:
8 Safety Tips for Sikeston, MO Drivers
- Look out for Sikeston, MO pedestrians everywhere, at all times.
- Use extra caution when driving in hard-to-see conditions, such as nighttime or bad weather in Sikeston, MO.
- Slow down and be ready to stop when turning or otherwise entering a Sikeston, MO crosswalk.
- Yield to pedestrians in crosswalks and stop well back from the crosswalk to give other Sikeston, MO vehicles an opportunity to see the crossing pedestrians so they can stop, too.
- Never pass vehicles stopped at a Sikeston, MO crosswalk. There might be individuals crossing where you can’t see.
- Never drive under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs in Sikeston, MO.
- Follow the speed limit, especially around people on the street, in school zones, and in Sikeston, MO neighborhoods where children are present.
- Be extremely cautious when backing up and look for Sikeston, MO pedestrians.
8 Safety Tips for Sikeston, MO Pedestrians
- Follow the rules of the road and obey all of the signs and signals in Sikeston, MO.
- Walk on Sikeston, MO sidewalks whenever they are available.
- If there is no sidewalk, walk facing traffic and as far from traffic as possible.
- Cross streets at crosswalks or intersections in Sikeston, MO. Look for cars in all directions, including those turning left or right.
- If a crosswalk or intersection is not available, find an illuminated area where you have the optimal view of Sikeston, MO traffic. Wait for a lapse in traffic allowing sufficient time to cross safely; continue looking for traffic as you cross.
- Look out for Sikeston, MO cars entering or exiting driveways, or reversing in parking lots.
- Stay away from alcohol and drugs when walking in Sikeston, MO; they impair your abilities and your judgment.
- Welcome walking as a healthy form of transportation in Sikeston, MO — get up, get out, and get moving.
What Are the Common Causes of Sikeston, MO Pedestrian Accidents?
There is no sugarcoating it, Sikeston, MO pedestrian accidents are frightening. In addition to the GHSA and NHTSA reports of increasing pedestrian accidents year-to-year, our Sikeston, MO pedestrian accident lawyers have seen a rise in the severity of the injuries. The Missouri Injury legal team can help you or your loved one in Sikeston, MO receive the compensation you are due under the law. Common causes of Sikeston, MO pedestrian accidents include:
Speeding is dangerous. But, it is one of the most common reckless behaviors drivers participate in on the road in and around Sikeston, MO. On average, speeding contributes to nearly 30 percent of U.S. traffic fatalities annually. A collision with a pedestrian can be catastrophic under normal speeds. When a Sikeston, MO motor vehicle is speeding, the results can be deadly. Not only does speeding increase the risk of injury or death in Sikeston, MO, it increases the chance of an accident occurring at all. A speeding vehicle needs more time to stop. The Sikeston, MO driver also has less time to act. By the time a Sikeston, MO pedestrian recognizes a speeding driver is getting close, they essentially have little time to react.
We all have heard the warnings about texting and driving in and around Sikeston, MO. Sending or receiving a text takes a Sikeston, MO driver’s attention off the road for around 5 seconds. During that time, which, at 55 mph, equates to driving the length of a football field with your eyes closed, a pedestrian could be crossing the street; a light could turn red… so many things could happen. In addition to texting, other causes of Sikeston, MO distracted driving are:
- Adjusting the radio
- Talking to passengers
- Talking on the phone (even with a hands-free device)
- Navigation systems
Driving Under the Influence
Driving under the influence is reckless. Approximately 32 people die each day in the U.S. because of a drunk driver, according to the NHTSA. Worst of all, these deaths were all preventable. Driving under the influence in Sikeston, MO hinders a person’s decision-making skills and can affect motor reflexes. Other dangers in Sikeston, MO include:
- Difficulty concentrating
- Blurry vision
- Delayed reaction time
- Reduced ability to track moving objects
- Decreased alertness
- Inability to multitask
Failure to Yield the Right of Way
Sikeston, MO pedestrians depend on Sikeston, MO drivers to obey right of way laws. When a driver fails to yield the right of way, a Sikeston, MO pedestrian has little time to react. Failure to yield the right of way commonly causes accidents at intersections, when a driver runs through a traffic device or when they fail to look for pedestrians before making a turn.
Bad weather, darkness, sunlight, or structural obstructions in Sikeston, MO can create poor visibility for drivers. During these types of conditions, drivers need to use extra caution. Things a Sikeston, MO driver can do to lessen the risk of an accident include:
- Reduce driving speed
- Limit distractions
- Make sure safety devices, including headlights, are in working order
- Pay extra attention to hazards and pedestrians
- Allow extra following distance
- Yield at intersections
What is My Sikeston, MO Pedestrian Accident Worth?
While the only way to correctly evaluate the kinds of damages in any injury claim is through a careful investigation of the case, our Sikeston, MO pedestrian accident lawyer can assist you in understanding what your case might be worth by gauging:
- The specific circumstances of your Sikeston, MO pedestrian accident
- Who was at fault and if you shared any blame
- The type of injuries sustained and their severity
- Whether you suffered permanent impairment, disability, or disfigurement
- How your injuries affect your quality of life moving forward
- The strength of your negligence case
- The amount of insurance coverage available
What Are Common Sikeston, MO Pedestrian Accident Injuries?
A Sikeston, MO pedestrian is no match for any sort of motor vehicle, no matter the size or situation. If you have been hit by a car or a truck, or even a golf cart, your well-being is the main concern. At Missouri Injury Law, our team of Sikeston, MO pedestrian accident attorneys can help direct you to the care you need and fight for the compensation you and your family deserve. Several of these injuries may or may not be obvious at the time of the Sikeston, MO accident. If you show any symptoms of a significant condition, seek medical attention right away. And then call a pedestrian accident lawyer at Missouri Injury Law as soon as possible at 636-333-1717 or contact us. Common injuries after a Sikeston, MO pedestrian accident are:
- Brain Injuries
- Difficulty concentrating
- Mood changes
- Changes in sleep patterns
- Spinal Cord Injuries
- Extreme neck or back pain
- Numbness or tingling
- Difficulty walking
- Difficulty breathing
- Loss of bowel or bladder control
- Extreme neck or back distortion
- Broken Bones
- Cuts, Bruises, and Skin Abrasions
- Mental Health Injuries
Motor vehicle accidents are one of the leading causes of traumatic brain injuries. If you have been in a Sikeston, MO pedestrian accident where you bumped your head, you need to watch for any of the following symptoms of TBI, as they can quickly ramp up in Sikeston, MO, and become life-threatening:
Motor vehicle accidents are the number one cause of spinal cord injuries in the U.S. The force of a collision from a Sikeston, MO pedestrian accident can cause serious swelling that could ultimately result in permanent paralysis. Symptoms of a spinal cord injury in Sikeston, MO include:
The human body is not designed to withstand the force of a 2,000-plus-pound vehicle. For this reason alone, broken bones are commonplace in Sikeston, MO pedestrian accidents.
Cuts and bruises may seem relatively minor after a Sikeston, MO pedestrian accident, but they can lead to severe complications, including infections.
There is no way to truly realize how someone feels after a traumatic Sikeston, MO pedestrian accident. We all work through feelings and emotions differently. Following a Sikeston, MO pedestrian accident, it is normal to feel rage, sadness, and confusion. If you are having difficulty after a pedestrian accident in Sikeston, MO, do not hesitate to reach out for help. Our pedestrian accident lawyer can put you in contact with the right professionals. Give us a call today at 636-333-1717 or contact us in confidence.
How Do I Prove Who Is Liable for My Injuries In a Sikeston, MO Pedestrian Accident?
To prove that a driver was at fault for causing your Sikeston, MO pedestrian accident injuries, your pedestrian accident lawyer near Sikeston, MO, must prove the following:
- The at-fault driver owed you a duty of care to drive their vehicle safely and legally.
- The driver breached their duty of care when they took an action that violated the duty of care.
- This breach of duty resulted in a pedestrian accident that injured you, and your injury caused economic and noneconomic damages.
Your Sikeston, MO Pedestrian Accident Lawyer | Missouri Injury Law Firm
The pedestrian accident lawyers at Missouri Injury Law have devoted their careers to fighting for Sikeston, MO residents who have been injured as a result of a driver’s carelessness. We are passionate about guaranteeing that you and your family have little to worry about while we fight for maximum compensation for your Sikeston, MO injuries and damages. See what our Sikeston, MO clients feel about our legal representation.