Pedestrian Accident Lawyer St. Francois County, MO
Serving All Missouri Personal Injury VictimsView Full Service Area
Pedestrian Accident Lawyer St. Francois County, MO. As a pedestrian, you should never have to be concerned for your safety simply walking on the sidewalk or roadside. In St. Francois County, MO, there are laws in place to protect you, designed to allow pedestrians and motor vehicles to share the same space. Somehow though, day after day, St. Francois County, MO accidents between motorists and pedestrians continue to occur.
If you or someone you love has been injured in a St. Francois County, MO pedestrian accident, call the Missouri Injury Law Firm immediately at 636-333-1717 or reach out to us for a complimentary, confidential consultation. Our St. Francois County, MO pedestrian accident lawyer will meet with you as soon as possible near St. Francois County, MO to discuss your case and protect your interests. If you have suffered injuries and have lost work and wages because of the St. Francois County, MO accident, you deserve an expert pedestrian accident lawyer from Missouri Injury Law fighting in your corner.
What Are My Rights Following a St. Francois County, MO Pedestrian Accident?
If you’ve been injured in a St. Francois County, MO pedestrian accident, you may have a right to recover damages under state law. In Missouri, accident victims have five years from the date of the accident to file a personal injury suit against the at-fault party. In Illinois, you have two years to file a claim. Following your accident, be sure to call our St. Francois County, MO professional pedestrian accident attorney at 636-333-1717 or contact us to assist in understanding your rights and helping you fight for the compensation you deserve.
Damages may include, but are not limited to:
- Medical costs — Serious St. Francois County, MO injuries can run up thousands of dollars in medical costs. Covered costs differ from case to case but often include:
- Doctor visits
- Medical devices
- Follow-up care
- Pain and suffering — St. Francois County, MO pedestrian accidents can cause severe physical and emotional pain. When an injury or accident near St. Francois County, MO, causes you physical and emotional stress, the law allows you to claim these as damages. Some examples include:
- Loss of enjoyment
- Lost wages — If you suffer a serious injury in St. Francois County, MO, you might not be able to return to your job right away. In the event you can’t return to work, your St. Francois County, MO pedestrian accident lawyer may ask for future wages.
- Wrongful death — Sadly and unfortunately, some St. Francois County, MO pedestrian accidents may be too severe for the survival of a loved one. In such a case, you or a family member near St. Francois County, MO, may have a wrongful death claim. This kind of claim may include:
- Pain and suffering
- Medical costs
- Lost wages
- Loss of guidance
- Loss of consortium
- Outstanding medical costs
How Common Are St. Francois County, MO Pedestrian Accidents?
According to a recent report from the Governors Highway Safety Association, there were an estimated 7,485 pedestrian deaths in 2021, an increase of 11.5 percent from the previous year. This is the largest number of pedestrian fatalities in four decades. From 2010-2020, pedestrian deaths increased by 54 percent while other traffic deaths combined for an increase of 13 percent.
Along with the GHSA data, the report also studied the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's (NHTSA) Fatality Analysis Reporting System to further review safety trends. The research showed a staggering statistic: The percentage of speeding-related pedestrian deaths among children younger than 15 in has more than doubled since 2018, from 5.8% to 11.9%.
There were 1,341 reported pedestrian accidents in 2021 in Missouri alone, injuring 1,118 and 132 deaths, via the Missouri State Highway Patrol.
Because of these staggering and unsettling statistics, the NHTSA and the Federal Highway Administration launched “Everyone is a Pedestrian” to curb accidents. The organization offers resources, including these safety tips for St. Francois County, MO pedestrian and drivers:
8 Safety Tips for St. Francois County, MO Drivers
- Look out for St. Francois County, MO pedestrians everywhere, at all times.
- Use extreme caution when driving in hard-to-see situations, like nighttime or bad weather in St. Francois County, MO.
- Slow down and be prepared to stop when turning or otherwise entering a St. Francois County, MO crosswalk.
- Yield to pedestrians in crosswalks and stop well back from the crosswalk to give other St. Francois County, MO vehicles an opportunity to see the crossing pedestrians so they can stop, too.
- Never pass vehicles stopped at a St. Francois County, MO crosswalk. There could be individuals crossing where you can’t see.
- Never drive under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs in St. Francois County, MO.
- Follow the speed limit, especially around people on the street, in school zones, and in St. Francois County, MO neighborhoods where children are present.
- Be extra cautious when backing up and be on the look out for St. Francois County, MO pedestrians.
8 Safety Tips for St. Francois County, MO Pedestrians
- Follow the rules of the road and obey all of the signs and signals in St. Francois County, MO.
- Walk on St. Francois County, MO sidewalks whenever they are available.
- If there is no sidewalk, walk facing traffic and as far from traffic as possible.
- Cross streets at crosswalks or intersections in St. Francois County, MO. Look for cars in all directions, including those turning left or right.
- If there is no crosswalk or intersection, find a well-lit area where you have the best view of St. Francois County, MO traffic. Wait for a lapse in traffic that allows sufficient time to cross safely; keep watching for traffic as you cross.
- Watch for St. Francois County, MO cars entering or exiting driveways, or reversing in parking lots.
- Stay away from alcohol and drugs when walking in St. Francois County, MO; they impair your abilities and your judgment.
- Embrace walking as a healthy form of transportation in St. Francois County, MO — get up, get out, and get moving.
Call our St. Francois County, MO pedestrian accident lawyer now at 636-333-1717 or contact us for a complimentary, confidential consultation.
What Are the Common Causes of St. Francois County, MO Pedestrian Accidents?
There is no minimizing it, St. Francois County, MO pedestrian accidents are scary. In addition to the GHSA and NHTSA reports of increasing pedestrian accidents year-to-year, our St. Francois County, MO pedestrian accident attorneys have noticed the injuries becoming more and more severe. The Missouri Injury legal team can help you or your loved one in St. Francois County, MO receive the compensation you are entitled to under the law. Common causes of St. Francois County, MO pedestrian accidents include:
Speeding is dangerous. But, it is one of the most common reckless behaviors drivers participate in on the road in and around St. Francois County, MO. On average, speeding contributes to almost 30 percent of annual U.S. traffic fatalities. A collision with a pedestrian can be catastrophic under normal speeds. When a St. Francois County, MO driver is speeding, the results can be deadly. Not only does speeding increase the risk of injury or death in St. Francois County, MO, it increases the chance of an accident happening at all. A speeding vehicle takes longer to stop. The St. Francois County, MO driver also has less time to react. By the time a St. Francois County, MO pedestrian realizes a speeding driver is getting close, they may have little time to react.
We all have seen the warnings about texting and driving in and around St. Francois County, MO. Sending or receiving a text takes a St. Francois County, MO driver’s attention off the road for approximately 5 seconds. In that amount of time, which, at 55 mph, equates to driving the length of a football field with your eyes closed, a pedestrian could be crossing the street; a light could turn red… so many things could happen. In addition to texting, other causes of St. Francois County, MO distracted driving are:
- Adjusting the radio
- Talking to passengers
- Talking on the phone (even with a hands-free device)
- Navigation systems
Driving Under the Influence
Driving under the influence is reckless. Approximately 32 people die every day in the U.S. because of a drunk driver, according to the NHTSA. Worse still, these deaths were all preventable. Driving under the influence in St. Francois County, MO hinders a person’s decision-making skills and can affect motor reflexes. Other dangers in St. Francois County, MO are:
- Difficulty concentrating
- Blurry vision
- Delayed reaction time
- Reduced ability to track moving objects
- Decreased alertness
- Inability to multitask
Failure to Yield the Right of Way
St. Francois County, MO pedestrians depend on St. Francois County, MO drivers to follow right of way laws. When a driver fails to yield the right of way, a St. Francois County, MO pedestrian has little time to act. Accidents at intersections, when a driver runs through a traffic device or when they fail to look for pedestrians before making a turn, are commonplace failures to yield the right of way.
Bad weather, darkness, sunlight, or structural obstructions in St. Francois County, MO can create poor visibility for drivers. During these kinds of situations, drivers need to exercise extra caution. Things a St. Francois County, MO driver can do to limit the risk of an accident include:
- Reduce driving speed
- Limit distractions
- Ensure safety devices, including headlights, are in working order
- Pay extra attention to hazards and pedestrians
- Allow extra following distance
- Slow at intersections
Call our St. Francois County, MO pedestrian accident lawyer now at 636-333-1717 or reach out to us for a no-cost, no-risk case review.
What is My St. Francois County, MO Pedestrian Accident Worth?
While the only way to correctly evaluate the kinds of damages in any injury claim is through an intricate investigation of the case, our St. Francois County, MO pedestrian accident lawyer can help you understand what your case might be worth by gauging:
- The specific circumstances of your St. Francois County, MO pedestrian accident
- Who was at fault and if you shared any blame
- The kind of injuries sustained and their severity
- Whether you suffered permanent impairment, disability, or disfigurement
- How your injuries affect your quality of life moving forward
- The strength of your negligence case
- The amount of insurance coverage available
What Are Common St. Francois County, MO Pedestrian Accident Injuries?
A St. Francois County, MO pedestrian is no match for any kind of motor vehicle, no matter the size or scenario. If you have been hit by a car or a truck, or even a golf cart, your safety is the main priority. At Missouri Injury Law, our team of St. Francois County, MO pedestrian accident attorneys can help direct you to the care you need and fight for the compensation you and your loved ones deserve. Some of these injuries may or may not be apparent at the time of the St. Francois County, MO accident. If you notice any symptoms of a significant condition, seek medical attention immediately. And then phone a pedestrian accident lawyer at Missouri Injury Law as soon as possible at 636-333-1717 or contact us. Common injuries after a St. Francois County, MO pedestrian accident include:
- Brain Injuries
- Difficulty concentrating
- Mood changes
- Changes in sleep patterns
- Spinal Cord Injuries
- Severe neck or back pain
- Numbness or tingling
- Difficulty walking
- Difficulty breathing
- Loss of bowel or bladder control
- Extreme neck or back distortion
- Broken Bones
- Cuts, Bruises, and Skin Abrasions
- Mental Health Injuries
Motor vehicle accidents are one of the leading causes of traumatic brain injuries. If you have been in a St. Francois County, MO pedestrian accident where you bumped your head, you need to look out for any of the following symptoms of TBI, as they can quickly ramp up in St. Francois County, MO, and turn life-threatening:
Motor vehicle accidents are the number one cause of spinal cord injuries in the U.S. The force of a collision from a St. Francois County, MO pedestrian accident can cause severe swelling that can ultimately result in permanent paralysis. Symptoms of a spinal cord injury in St. Francois County, MO are:
The human body is not made to sustain the force of a 2,000-plus-pound vehicle. For this reason alone, broken bones are commonplace in St. Francois County, MO pedestrian accidents.
Cuts and bruises may seem relatively minor after a St. Francois County, MO pedestrian accident, but they can lead to serious complications, including infections.
There is no way to completely understand how someone feels after a traumatic St. Francois County, MO pedestrian accident. We all deal with feelings and emotions differently. Following a St. Francois County, MO pedestrian accident, it is routine to feel intense anger, sadness, and confusion. If you are having difficulty after a pedestrian accident in St. Francois County, MO, don’t hesitate to reach out for help. Our pedestrian accident lawyer can put you in contact with the right people. Call us today at 636-333-1717 or contact us in confidence.
How Do I Prove Who Is Liable for My Injuries In a St. Francois County, MO Pedestrian Accident?
To prove that a driver was at fault for causing your St. Francois County, MO pedestrian accident injuries, your pedestrian accident lawyer near St. Francois County, MO, must show the following:
- The at-fault driver owed you a duty of care to drive their vehicle safely and legally.
- The driver breached their duty of care when they took an action that violated the duty of care.
- This breach of duty resulted in a pedestrian accident that injured you, and your injury caused economic and noneconomic damages.
Your St. Francois County, MO Pedestrian Accident Lawyer | Missouri Injury Law Firm
The pedestrian accident lawyers at Missouri Injury Law have dedicated their careers to fighting for St. Francois County, MO residents who have been injured due to a driver’s recklessness. We are passionate about making sure that you and your family are stress free while we fight for complete compensation for your St. Francois County, MO injuries and damages. Read what our St. Francois County, MO clients have to say about our legal representation.
Phone one of our St. Francois County, MO pedestrian accident attorneys at Missouri Injury Law now at 636-333-1717 or contact us online for a no-cost and no-risk case review near St. Francois County, MO.