Pedestrian Accident Lawyer University City, MO
Serving All Missouri Personal Injury VictimsView Full Service Area
Pedestrian Accident Lawyer University City, MO. As a pedestrian, you should not have to fear for your safety simply strolling down the sidewalk or roadside. In University City, MO, there are laws in place to protect you, designed to allow pedestrians and motor vehicles to share the same space. Somehow though, day after day, University City, MO accidents between motorists and pedestrians still occur.
If you or someone you love has been involved in a University City, MO pedestrian accident, call the Missouri Injury Law Firm immediately at 636-333-1717 or reach out to us for a complimentary, confidential consultation. Our University City, MO pedestrian accident lawyer will meet with you as soon as possible near University City, MO to discuss your case and protect your interests. If you have sustained injuries and have lost work and wages because of the University City, MO accident, you deserve an expert pedestrian accident lawyer from Missouri Injury Law standing by your side.
What Are My Rights After a University City, MO Pedestrian Accident?
If you’ve been injured in a University City, MO pedestrian accident, you may be able to recover damages under state law. In Missouri, accident victims have five years from the date of the incident to file a personal injury claim against the at-fault party. In Illinois, you have two years to file a claim. After your accident, be sure to call our University City, MO skilled pedestrian accident attorney at 636-333-1717 or contact us to assist in understanding your rights and helping you fight for the compensation you are entitled to.
Damages may include, but are not limited to:
- Medical costs — Severe University City, MO injuries can run up thousands of dollars in medical costs. Covered costs vary from case to case but often include:
- Doctor visits
- Medical devices
- Follow-up care
- Pain and suffering — University City, MO pedestrian accidents can cause dire physical and emotional pain. When an injury or accident near University City, MO, brings about physical and emotional stress, the law allows you to claim these as damages. Some examples are:
- Loss of enjoyment
- Lost wages — If you suffer a serious injury in University City, MO, you might not be able to return to your job as soon as you might like. In the event you can’t return to work, your University City, MO pedestrian accident lawyer may ask for future wages.
- Wrongful death — Sadly and unfortunately, some University City, MO pedestrian accidents may be too severe for the survival of a loved one. In such a case, you or a family member near University City, MO, may have a wrongful death case. This type of claim may include:
- Pain and suffering
- Medical costs
- Lost wages
- Loss of guidance
- Loss of consortium
- Outstanding medical costs
How Common Are University City, MO Pedestrian Accidents?
According to a recent report from the Governors Highway Safety Association, there were an estimated 7,485 pedestrian deaths in 2021, an increase of 11.5 percent from the previous year. This is the largest number of pedestrian fatalities in four decades. From 2010-2020, pedestrian deaths increased by 54 percent while other traffic deaths combined for an increase of 13 percent.
Along with the GHSA data, the report also studied the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's (NHTSA) Fatality Analysis Reporting System to further explore safety trends. The analysis revealed a staggering statistic: The percentage of speeding-related pedestrian deaths among children younger than 15 in has more than doubled since 2018, from 5.8% to 11.9%.
There were 1,341 reported pedestrian accidents in 2021 in Missouri alone, injuring 1,118 and 132 deaths, via the Missouri State Highway Patrol.
Due to these staggering and unsettling numbers, the NHTSA and the Federal Highway Administration launched “Everyone is a Pedestrian” to curb accidents. The organization provides resources, including the following safety tips for University City, MO pedestrian and drivers:
8 Safety Tips for University City, MO Drivers
- Look out for University City, MO pedestrians everywhere, at all times.
- Use extra caution when driving in hard-to-see conditions, such as nighttime or bad weather in University City, MO.
- Slow down and be prepared to stop when turning or otherwise entering a University City, MO crosswalk.
- Yield to pedestrians in crosswalks and stop well back from the crosswalk to give other University City, MO vehicles an opportunity to see the crossing pedestrians so they can stop, too.
- Never pass vehicles stopped at a University City, MO crosswalk. There might be people crossing where you can’t see.
- Never drive under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs in University City, MO.
- Follow the speed limit, particularly around people on the street, in school zones, and in University City, MO neighborhoods where children are present.
- Be extra cautious when backing up and look for University City, MO pedestrians.
8 Safety Tips for University City, MO Pedestrians
- Follow the rules of the road and obey all signs and signals in University City, MO.
- Walk on University City, MO sidewalks whenever they are available.
- If there is no sidewalk, walk facing traffic and as far from traffic as possible.
- Cross streets at crosswalks or intersections in University City, MO. Look for cars in all directions, including those turning left or right.
- If a crosswalk or intersection is not available, find a well-lit area where you have the best view of University City, MO traffic. Wait for a gap in traffic allowing enough time to cross safely; continue watching for traffic as you cross.
- Watch for University City, MO cars entering or exiting driveways, or reversing in parking lots.
- Avoid alcohol and drugs when walking in University City, MO; they impair your abilities and your judgment.
- Welcome walking as a healthy form of transportation in University City, MO — get up, get out, and get moving.
What Are the Common Causes of University City, MO Pedestrian Accidents?
There is no sugarcoating it, University City, MO pedestrian accidents are frightening. In addition to the GHSA and NHTSA reports of increased annual pedestrian accidents, our University City, MO pedestrian accident lawyers have noticed the injuries becoming more and more severe. The Missouri Injury legal team can help you or your loved one in University City, MO receive the compensation you are entitled to under the law. Common causes of University City, MO pedestrian accidents include:
Speeding is dangerous. But, it is one of the most common reckless behaviors drivers participate in on the road in and around University City, MO. On average, speeding contributes to nearly 30 percent of U.S. traffic fatalities annually. A collision with a pedestrian can be catastrophic under normal speeds. When a University City, MO motor vehicle is speeding, the results can be deadly. Not only does speeding increase the risk of injury or death in University City, MO, it increases the chance of an accident happening at all. A speeding vehicle takes longer to stop. The University City, MO driver also has less time to act. By the time a University City, MO pedestrian recognizes a speeding driver is getting close, they may have little time to react.
We all have seen the warnings about texting and driving in and around University City, MO. Sending or receiving a text takes a University City, MO driver’s attention off the road for approximately 5 seconds. During that time, which, at 55 mph, equates to driving the length of a football field with your eyes closed, a pedestrian could be crossing the street; a light could turn red… so many things could happen. In addition to texting, other causes of University City, MO distracted driving are:
- Adjusting the radio
- Talking to passengers
- Talking on the phone (even with a hands-free device)
- Navigation systems
Driving Under the Influence
Driving under the influence is careless. Approximately 32 people die every day in the U.S. because of a drunk driver, according to the NHTSA. Worst of all, these deaths were all preventable. Driving under the influence in University City, MO hinders a person’s decision-making skills and can affect motor reflexes. Other dangers in University City, MO include:
- Difficulty concentrating
- Blurry vision
- Delayed reaction time
- Reduced ability to track moving objects
- Decreased alertness
- Inability to multitask
Failure to Yield the Right of Way
University City, MO pedestrians depend on University City, MO drivers to follow right of way laws. When a driver fails to yield the right of way, a University City, MO pedestrian has little time to act. Accidents at intersections, when a driver runs through a traffic device or when they fail to look for pedestrians before making a turn, are commonplace failures to yield the right of way.
Bad weather, darkness, sunlight, or structural obstructions in University City, MO can create poor visibility for drivers. During these types of scenarios, drivers need to exercise extra caution. Things a University City, MO driver can do to lessen the risk of an accident include:
- Reduce driving speed
- Limit distractions
- Make sure safety devices, including headlights, are in working order
- Pay extra attention to hazards and pedestrians
- Allow extra following distance
- Slow at intersections
What is My University City, MO Pedestrian Accident Worth?
While the only way to correctly evaluate the types of damages in any injury claim is through a careful investigation of the case, our University City, MO pedestrian accident lawyer can help you understand what your case may be worth by gauging:
- The particular circumstances of your University City, MO pedestrian accident
- Who was at fault and if you shared any blame
- The type of injuries sustained and their severity
- Whether you suffered permanent impairment, disability, or disfigurement
- How your injuries affect your quality of life moving forward
- The strength of your negligence case
- The amount of insurance coverage available
What Are Common University City, MO Pedestrian Accident Injuries?
A University City, MO pedestrian is no match for any type of motor vehicle, no matter the size or scenario. If you have been hit by a car or a truck, or even a golf cart, your safety is the number one concern. At Missouri Injury Law, our team of University City, MO pedestrian accident attorneys can help introduce you to the care you need and fight for the compensation you and your loved ones are entitled to. Several of these injuries may or may not be apparent at the time of the University City, MO accident. If you notice any symptoms of a significant condition, seek medical attention immediately. And then phone a pedestrian accident lawyer at Missouri Injury Law as soon as possible at 636-333-1717 or contact us. Common injuries after a University City, MO pedestrian accident include:
- Brain Injuries
- Difficulty concentrating
- Mood changes
- Changes in sleep patterns
- Spinal Cord Injuries
- Severe neck or back pain
- Numbness or tingling
- Difficulty walking
- Difficulty breathing
- Loss of bowel or bladder control
- Extreme neck or back distortion
- Broken Bones
- Cuts, Bruises, and Skin Abrasions
- Mental Health Injuries
Motor vehicle accidents are one of the leading causes of traumatic brain injuries. If you have been in a University City, MO pedestrian accident where you hit your head, you need to look out for any of the following symptoms of TBI, as they can escalate quickly in University City, MO, and become life-threatening:
Motor vehicle accidents are the number one cause of spinal cord injuries in the U.S. The force of the impact of a University City, MO pedestrian accident can cause severe swelling that can eventually result in permanent paralysis. Symptoms of a spinal cord injury in University City, MO are:
The human body is not designed to sustain the force of a 2,000-plus-pound vehicle. For this reason alone, broken bones are commonplace in University City, MO pedestrian accidents.
Cuts and bruises might seem relatively minor after a University City, MO pedestrian accident, but they can lead to severe complications, including infections.
There is no way to truly realize how someone feels after a traumatic University City, MO pedestrian accident. We all work through feelings and emotions differently. Following a University City, MO pedestrian accident, it is routine to feel rage, sadness, and confusion. If you are having a hard time after a pedestrian accident in University City, MO, don’t hesitate to reach out for help. Our pedestrian accident lawyer can put you in touch with the right people. Give us a call today at 636-333-1717 or contact us in confidence.
How Do I Prove Who Is Liable for My Injuries In a University City, MO Pedestrian Accident?
To prove that a driver was at fault for causing your University City, MO pedestrian accident injuries, your pedestrian accident lawyer near University City, MO, must show the following:
- The at-fault driver owed you a duty of care to drive their vehicle safely and legally.
- The driver breached their duty of care when they took an action that violated the duty of care.
- This breach of duty resulted in a pedestrian accident that injured you, and your injury caused economic and noneconomic damages.
Your University City, MO Pedestrian Accident Lawyer | Missouri Injury Law Firm
The pedestrian accident lawyers at Missouri Injury Law have devoted their livelihoods to fighting for University City, MO residents who have been injured due to a driver’s recklessness. We care about guaranteeing that you and your family have little to worry about while we fight for maximum compensation for your University City, MO injuries and damages. Read what our University City, MO clients have to say about our legal representation.