Pedestrian Accident Lawyer Washington, MO
Serving All Missouri Personal Injury VictimsView Full Service Area
Pedestrian Accident Lawyer Washington, MO. As a pedestrian, you should never have to be concerned for your safety doing something as simple as strolling down the sidewalk or roadside. In Washington, MO, there are laws in place to protect you, designed to allow pedestrians and motor vehicles to share the same space. Somehow though, several times a day, Washington, MO accidents between motorists and pedestrians continue to occur.
If you or a loved one has been involved in a Washington, MO pedestrian accident, call the Missouri Injury Law Firm immediately at 636-333-1717 or contact us for a no-cost, no-risk consultation. Our Washington, MO pedestrian accident lawyer will meet with you as soon as possible near Washington, MO to discuss your case and protect your interests. If you have suffered injuries and have lost work and wages due to the Washington, MO accident, you deserve an expert pedestrian accident lawyer from Missouri Injury Law fighting in your corner.
What Are My Rights After a Washington, MO Pedestrian Accident?
If you have been injured in a Washington, MO pedestrian accident, you may have a right to recover damages under state law. In Missouri, accident victims have five years from the date of the incident to file a personal injury claim against the at-fault party. In Illinois, you have two years to file a claim. After your accident, don’t wait to call our Washington, MO professional pedestrian accident lawyer at 636-333-1717 or reach out to us to help you understand your rights and assist you in fighting for the compensation you deserve.
Damages may include, but are not limited to:
- Medical costs — Severe Washington, MO injuries can incur thousands of dollars in medical costs. Covered costs vary from case to case but frequently include:
- Doctor visits
- Medical devices
- Follow-up care
- Pain and suffering — Washington, MO pedestrian accidents can cause severe physical and emotional pain. When an injury or accident near Washington, MO, causes you physical and emotional stress, the law allows you to claim these as damages. Some examples are:
- Loss of enjoyment
- Lost wages — If you sustain a serious injury in Washington, MO, you might not be able to return to work right away. In the event you can’t return to work, your Washington, MO pedestrian accident lawyer may ask for future wages.
- Wrongful death — Sadly and unfortunately, some Washington, MO pedestrian accidents may be too severe for the survival of a loved one. In such a case, you or a family member near Washington, MO, may have a wrongful death case. This type of claim may include:
- Pain and suffering
- Medical costs
- Lost wages
- Loss of guidance
- Loss of consortium
- Outstanding medical costs
How Common Are Washington, MO Pedestrian Accidents?
According to a recent report from the Governors Highway Safety Association, there were an estimated 7,485 pedestrian deaths in 2021, an increase of 11.5 percent from the previous year. This is the largest number of pedestrian fatalities in four decades. From 2010-2020, pedestrian deaths increased by 54 percent while other traffic deaths combined for an increase of 13 percent.
In addition to the GHSA data, the report also studied the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's (NHTSA) Fatality Analysis Reporting System to further probe safety trends. The analysis showed a staggering statistic: The percentage of speeding-related pedestrian deaths among children younger than 15 in has more than doubled since 2018, from 5.8% to 11.9%.
There were 1,341 reported pedestrian accidents in 2021 in Missouri alone, injuring 1,118 and killing 132 individuals, according to the Missouri State Highway Patrol.
Due to these staggering and unsettling numbers, the NHTSA and the Federal Highway Administration started “Everyone is a Pedestrian” to curb accidents. The initiative offers resources, including these safety tips for Washington, MO pedestrian and drivers:
8 Safety Tips for Washington, MO Drivers
- Look out for Washington, MO pedestrians everywhere, at all times.
- Use extreme caution when driving in hard-to-see situations, such as nighttime or bad weather in Washington, MO.
- Slow down and be ready to stop when turning or otherwise entering a Washington, MO crosswalk.
- Yield to pedestrians in crosswalks and stop well back from the crosswalk to give other Washington, MO vehicles an opportunity to see the crossing pedestrians so they can stop, too.
- Never pass vehicles stopped at a Washington, MO crosswalk. There might be individuals crossing where you can’t see.
- Never drive under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs in Washington, MO.
- Follow the speed limit, especially around people on the street, in school zones, and in Washington, MO neighborhoods where children are present.
- Be extremely cautious when backing up and look for Washington, MO pedestrians.
8 Safety Tips for Washington, MO Pedestrians
- Follow the rules of the road and obey all of the signs and signals in Washington, MO.
- Walk on Washington, MO sidewalks whenever they are available.
- If there is no sidewalk, walk facing traffic and as far from traffic as possible.
- Cross streets at crosswalks or intersections in Washington, MO. Look for cars in all directions, including those turning left or right.
- If there is no crosswalk or intersection, locate a well-lit area where you have the optimal view of Washington, MO traffic. Wait for a lapse in traffic allowing enough time to cross safely; keep looking for traffic as you cross.
- Watch for Washington, MO vehicles entering or exiting driveways, or backing up in parking lots.
- Stay away from alcohol and drugs when walking in Washington, MO; they impair your abilities and your judgment.
- Welcome walking as a healthy form of transportation in Washington, MO — get up, get out, and get moving.
What Are the Common Causes of Washington, MO Pedestrian Accidents?
There is no minimizing it, Washington, MO pedestrian accidents are scary. In addition to the GHSA and NHTSA reports of increasing annual pedestrian accidents, our Washington, MO pedestrian accident attorneys have seen a rise in the severity of the injuries. The Missouri Injury legal team can help you or your loved one in Washington, MO receive the compensation you are due under the law. Common causes of Washington, MO pedestrian accidents are:
Speeding is dangerous. But, it is one of the most common reckless behaviors drivers participate in on the road in and around Washington, MO. On average, speeding contributes to nearly 30 percent of annual U.S. traffic fatalities. Under normal speeds, a collision with a pedestrian can be catastrophic. When a Washington, MO vehicle is speeding, the results can be deadly. Not only does speeding increase the risk of injury or death in Washington, MO, it increases the chance of an accident occurring at all. A speeding vehicle takes longer to stop. The Washington, MO driver also has less time to act. By the time a Washington, MO pedestrian realizes a speeding driver is getting close, they may have little time to react.
We all have heard the warnings about texting and driving in and around Washington, MO. Sending or receiving a text takes a Washington, MO driver’s attention off the road for approximately 5 seconds. In that amount of time, which, at 55 mph, equates to driving the length of a football field with your eyes closed, a pedestrian could be crossing the street; a light could turn red… so many things could happen. Along with texting, other causes of Washington, MO distracted driving are:
- Adjusting the radio
- Talking to passengers
- Talking on the phone (even with a hands-free device)
- Navigation systems
Driving Under the Influence
Driving under the influence is reckless. Approximately 32 people die each day in the U.S. because of a drunk driver, according to the NHTSA. Worst of all, these deaths were all preventable. Driving under the influence in Washington, MO impedes an individual’s decision-making skills and can affect motor reflexes. Other dangers in Washington, MO include:
- Difficulty concentrating
- Blurry vision
- Delayed reaction time
- Reduced ability to track moving objects
- Decreased alertness
- Inability to multitask
Failure to Yield the Right of Way
Washington, MO pedestrians depend on Washington, MO drivers to obey right of way laws. When a driver fails to yield the right of way, a Washington, MO pedestrian has little time to react. Failure to yield the right of way commonly causes accidents at intersections, when a driver runs through a traffic device or when they fail to look for pedestrians before making a turn.
Bad weather, darkness, sunlight, or structural obstructions in Washington, MO can cause poor visibility for drivers. During these kinds of conditions, drivers need to exercise extra caution. Things a Washington, MO driver can do to lessen the risk of an accident include:
- Reduce driving speed
- Limit distractions
- Make sure safety devices, including headlights, are in working order
- Pay extra attention to hazards and pedestrians
- Allow extra following distance
- Brake at intersections
What is My Washington, MO Pedestrian Accident Worth?
While the only way to correctly assess the types of damages in any injury claim is through a careful investigation of the case, our Washington, MO pedestrian accident lawyer can assist you in understanding what your case might be worth by gauging:
- The specific circumstances of your Washington, MO pedestrian accident
- Who was at fault and if you shared any blame
- The type of injuries sustained and their severity
- Whether you suffered permanent impairment, disability, or disfigurement
- How your injuries affect your quality of life moving forward
- The strength of your negligence case
- The amount of insurance coverage available
What Are Common Washington, MO Pedestrian Accident Injuries?
A Washington, MO pedestrian is no match for any type of motor vehicle, no matter the size or situation. If you have been struck by a car or a truck, or even a golf cart, your safety is the number one concern. At Missouri Injury Law, our team of Washington, MO pedestrian accident attorneys can help direct you to the care you need and fight for the compensation you and your loved ones deserve. Several of these injuries may or may not be obvious at the time of the Washington, MO accident. If you notice any symptoms of a serious condition, seek medical attention right away. And then call a pedestrian accident lawyer at Missouri Injury Law as soon as possible at 636-333-1717 or contact us. Common injuries after a Washington, MO pedestrian accident are:
- Brain Injuries
- Difficulty concentrating
- Mood changes
- Changes in sleep patterns
- Spinal Cord Injuries
- Severe neck or back pain
- Numbness or tingling
- Difficulty walking
- Difficulty breathing
- Loss of bowel or bladder control
- Severe neck or back distortion
- Broken Bones
- Cuts, Bruises, and Skin Abrasions
- Mental Health Injuries
Motor vehicle accidents are one of the leading causes of traumatic brain injuries. If you have been in a Washington, MO pedestrian accident where you bumped your head, you need to watch for any of the following symptoms of TBI, as they can quickly ramp up in Washington, MO, and turn life-threatening:
Motor vehicle accidents are the number one cause of spinal cord injuries in the U.S. The severity of the impact of a Washington, MO pedestrian accident can cause serious swelling that could eventually result in permanent paralysis. Symptoms of a spinal cord injury in Washington, MO include:
The human body is not designed to sustain the force of a 2,000-plus-pound vehicle. For this reason alone, broken bones are commonplace in Washington, MO pedestrian accidents.
Cuts and bruises may seem relatively minor after a Washington, MO pedestrian accident, but they can lead to serious complications, including infections.
There is no way to completely realize how someone feels after a traumatic Washington, MO pedestrian accident. We all deal with feelings and emotions differently. After a Washington, MO pedestrian accident, it is normal to feel rage, sadness, and confusion. If you are having difficulty after a pedestrian accident in Washington, MO, don’t hesitate to reach out for help. Our pedestrian accident lawyer can put you in contact with the right people. Call us today at 636-333-1717 or contact us in confidence.
How Do I Prove Who Is Liable for My Injuries In a Washington, MO Pedestrian Accident?
To prove that a driver was at fault for causing your Washington, MO pedestrian accident injuries, your pedestrian accident lawyer near Washington, MO, must show the following:
- The at-fault driver owed you a duty of care to drive their vehicle safely and legally.
- The driver breached their duty of care when they took an action that violated the duty of care.
- This breach of duty resulted in a pedestrian accident that injured you, and your injury caused economic and noneconomic damages.
Your Washington, MO Pedestrian Accident Lawyer | Missouri Injury Law Firm
The pedestrian accident lawyers at Missouri Injury Law have dedicated their careers to fighting for Washington, MO residents who have been injured due to a driver’s carelessness. We care about making sure that you and your family are stress free while we fight for complete compensation for your Washington, MO injuries and damages. Read what our Washington, MO clients feel about our legal representation.