Pedestrian Accident Lawyer Wildwood, MO
Serving All Missouri Personal Injury VictimsView Full Service Area
Pedestrian Accident Lawyer Wildwood, MO. As a pedestrian, you should not have to be concerned for your safety simply strolling down the sidewalk or roadside. In Wildwood, MO, there are laws in place to protect you, designed to allow pedestrians and motor vehicles to share the same space. Somehow though, several times a day, Wildwood, MO accidents between motorists and pedestrians continue to happen.
If you or a loved one has been involved in a Wildwood, MO pedestrian accident, call the Missouri Injury Law Firm immediately at 636-333-1717 or contact us for a complimentary, confidential consultation. Our Wildwood, MO pedestrian accident lawyer will meet with you as soon as possible near Wildwood, MO to discuss your case and protect your interests. If you have sustained injuries and have lost work and wages due to the Wildwood, MO accident, you deserve an expert pedestrian accident lawyer from Missouri Injury Law standing by your side.
What Are My Rights After a Wildwood, MO Pedestrian Accident?
If you’ve been injured in a Wildwood, MO pedestrian accident, you may have a right to recover damages under state law. In Missouri, accident victims have five years from the date of the incident to file a personal injury claim against the at-fault party. In Illinois, you have two years to file a claim. After your accident, don’t hesitate to call our Wildwood, MO professional pedestrian accident lawyer at 636-333-1717 or contact us to help you understand your rights and assist you in fighting for the compensation you are entitled to.
Damages may include, but are not limited to:
- Medical costs — Severe Wildwood, MO injuries can run up thousands of dollars in medical costs. Covered costs vary from case to case but frequently include:
- Doctor visits
- Medical devices
- Follow-up care
- Pain and suffering — Wildwood, MO pedestrian accidents can cause severe physical and emotional pain. When an injury or accident near Wildwood, MO, generates physical and emotional stress, the law permits you to claim these as damages. Some examples include:
- Loss of enjoyment
- Lost wages — If you sustain a serious injury in Wildwood, MO, you may not be able to return to work immediately. In the event you can’t get back to work, your Wildwood, MO pedestrian accident lawyer may request future wages.
- Wrongful death — Sadly and unfortunately, some Wildwood, MO pedestrian accidents may be too severe for the survival of a loved one. In this case, you or a family member near Wildwood, MO, may have a wrongful death claim. This kind of claim may include:
- Pain and suffering
- Medical costs
- Lost wages
- Loss of guidance
- Loss of consortium
- Outstanding medical costs
How Common Are Wildwood, MO Pedestrian Accidents?
According to a recent report from the Governors Highway Safety Association, there were an estimated 7,485 pedestrian deaths in 2021, an increase of 11.5 percent from the previous year. This is the largest number of pedestrian fatalities in four decades. From 2010-2020, pedestrian deaths increased by 54 percent while other traffic deaths combined for an increase of 13 percent.
Along with the GHSA data, the report also studied the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's (NHTSA) Fatality Analysis Reporting System to further explore safety trends. The analysis revealed a troubling statistic: The percentage of speeding-related pedestrian deaths among children younger than 15 in has more than doubled since 2018, from 5.8% to 11.9%.
There were 1,341 reported pedestrian accidents in 2021 in Missouri alone, injuring 1,118 and 132 deaths, according to the Missouri State Highway Patrol.
Due to these staggering and unsettling numbers, the NHTSA and the Federal Highway Administration started “Everyone is a Pedestrian” to curb accidents. The initiative offers resources, including the following safety tips for Wildwood, MO pedestrian and drivers:
8 Safety Tips for Wildwood, MO Drivers
- Look out for Wildwood, MO pedestrians everywhere, at all times.
- Use extreme caution when driving in hard-to-see situations, like nighttime or bad weather in Wildwood, MO.
- Slow down and be prepared to stop when turning or otherwise entering a Wildwood, MO crosswalk.
- Yield to pedestrians in crosswalks and stop well back from the crosswalk to give other Wildwood, MO vehicles an opportunity to see the crossing pedestrians so they can stop, too.
- Never pass vehicles stopped at a Wildwood, MO crosswalk. There may be individuals crossing where you can’t see.
- Never drive under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs in Wildwood, MO.
- Follow the speed limit, particularly around people on the street, in school zones, and in Wildwood, MO neighborhoods where children are present.
- Be extra cautious when backing up and be on the look out for Wildwood, MO pedestrians.
8 Safety Tips for Wildwood, MO Pedestrians
- Follow the rules of the road and obey all signs and signals in Wildwood, MO.
- Walk on Wildwood, MO sidewalks whenever they are available.
- If there is no sidewalk, walk facing traffic and as far from traffic as possible.
- Cross streets at crosswalks or intersections in Wildwood, MO. Look for cars in all directions, including those turning left or right.
- If there is no crosswalk or intersection, find a well-lit area where you have the optimal view of Wildwood, MO traffic. Wait for a gap in traffic that allows enough time to cross safely; continue watching for traffic as you cross.
- Look out for Wildwood, MO cars entering or exiting driveways, or reversing in parking lots.
- Avoid alcohol and drugs when walking in Wildwood, MO; they impair your abilities and your judgment.
- Embrace walking as a healthy form of transportation in Wildwood, MO — get up, get out, and get moving.
What Are the Common Causes of Wildwood, MO Pedestrian Accidents?
There is no minimizing it, Wildwood, MO pedestrian accidents are scary. In addition to the GHSA and NHTSA reports of increasing pedestrian accidents year-to-year, our Wildwood, MO pedestrian accident attorneys have seen a rise in the severity of the injuries. The Missouri Injury legal team can help you or your loved one in Wildwood, MO receive the compensation you are due under the law. Common causes of Wildwood, MO pedestrian accidents include:
Speeding is dangerous. But, it is one of the most common reckless behaviors drivers participate in on the road in and around Wildwood, MO. On average, speeding contributes to approximately 30 percent of U.S. traffic fatalities annually. Under normal speeds, a collision with a pedestrian can be catastrophic. When a Wildwood, MO driver is speeding, the results can be deadly. Not only does speeding increase the risk of injury or death in Wildwood, MO, it increases the chance of an accident occurring at all. A speeding vehicle takes longer to stop. The Wildwood, MO driver also has less time to react. By the time a Wildwood, MO pedestrian recognizes a speeding driver is approaching, they essentially have little time to react.
We all have heard the warnings about texting and driving in and around Wildwood, MO. Sending or receiving a text takes a Wildwood, MO driver’s attention off the road for at least 5 seconds. In that amount of time, which, at 55 mph, equates to driving the length of a football field with your eyes closed, a pedestrian could be crossing the street; a light could turn red… so many things could happen. Along with texting, other causes of Wildwood, MO distracted driving include:
- Adjusting the radio
- Talking to passengers
- Talking on the phone (even with a hands-free device)
- Navigation systems
Driving Under the Influence
Driving under the influence is reckless. Approximately 32 people die every day in the U.S. because of a drunk driver, according to the NHTSA. Worst of all, these deaths were all preventable. Driving under the influence in Wildwood, MO impairs a person’s decision-making skills and can affect motor reflexes. Other dangers in Wildwood, MO include:
- Difficulty concentrating
- Blurry vision
- Delayed reaction time
- Reduced ability to track moving objects
- Decreased alertness
- Inability to multitask
Failure to Yield the Right of Way
Wildwood, MO pedestrians depend on Wildwood, MO drivers to obey right of way laws. When a driver fails to yield the right of way, a Wildwood, MO pedestrian has little time to react. Failure to yield the right of way commonly causes accidents at intersections, when a driver runs through a traffic device or when they fail to look for pedestrians before making a turn.
Bad weather, darkness, sunlight, or structural obstructions in Wildwood, MO can cause poor visibility for drivers. During these kinds of situations, drivers need to exercise extreme caution. Things a Wildwood, MO driver can do to lessen the risk of an accident include:
- Reduce driving speed
- Limit distractions
- Make sure safety devices, including headlights, are in working order
- Pay extra attention to hazards and pedestrians
- Allow extra following distance
- Yield at intersections
What is My Wildwood, MO Pedestrian Accident Worth?
While the only way to correctly evaluate the types of damages in any injury claim is through a diligent investigation of the case, our Wildwood, MO pedestrian accident lawyer can help you understand what your case may be worth by assessing:
- The specific circumstances of your Wildwood, MO pedestrian accident
- Who was at fault and if you shared any blame
- The kind of injuries sustained and their severity
- Whether you suffered permanent impairment, disability, or disfigurement
- How your injuries affect your quality of life moving forward
- The strength of your negligence case
- The amount of insurance coverage available
What Are Common Wildwood, MO Pedestrian Accident Injuries?
A Wildwood, MO pedestrian is no match for any type of motor vehicle, no matter the size or situation. If you have been hit by a car or a truck, or even a golf cart, your safety is the main priority. At Missouri Injury Law, our staff of Wildwood, MO pedestrian accident attorneys can help direct you to the care you need and fight for the compensation you and your family are entitled to. Several of these injuries may or may not be obvious at the time of the Wildwood, MO accident. If you show any symptoms of a significant condition, seek medical attention right away. And then phone a pedestrian accident lawyer at Missouri Injury Law immediately at 636-333-1717 or contact us. Common injuries after a Wildwood, MO pedestrian accident include:
- Brain Injuries
- Difficulty concentrating
- Mood changes
- Changes in sleep patterns
- Spinal Cord Injuries
- Extreme neck or back pain
- Numbness or tingling
- Difficulty walking
- Difficulty breathing
- Loss of bowel or bladder control
- Extreme neck or back distortion
- Broken Bones
- Cuts, Bruises, and Skin Abrasions
- Mental Health Injuries
Motor vehicle accidents are one of the leading causes of traumatic brain injuries. If you have been in a Wildwood, MO pedestrian accident where you bumped your head, you need to look out for any of the following symptoms of TBI, as they can quickly ramp up in Wildwood, MO, and turn life-threatening:
Motor vehicle accidents are the number one cause of spinal cord injuries in the U.S. The severity of the impact of a Wildwood, MO pedestrian accident can cause serious swelling that can eventually result in permanent paralysis. Symptoms of a spinal cord injury in Wildwood, MO include:
The human body is not made to withstand the force of a 2,000-plus-pound vehicle. For this reason alone, broken bones are commonplace in Wildwood, MO pedestrian accidents.
Cuts and bruises might seem relatively minor after a Wildwood, MO pedestrian accident, but they can lead to major complications, including infections.
There is no way to completely understand how someone feels in the aftermath of a traumatic Wildwood, MO pedestrian accident. We all experience feelings and emotions differently. After a Wildwood, MO pedestrian accident, it is routine to feel rage, sadness, and confusion. If you are having a hard time after a pedestrian accident in Wildwood, MO, do not hesitate to reach out for help. Our pedestrian accident lawyer can put you in touch with the right people. Call us today at 636-333-1717 or contact us in confidence.
How Do I Prove Who Is Liable for My Injuries In a Wildwood, MO Pedestrian Accident?
To prove that a driver was at fault for causing your Wildwood, MO pedestrian accident injuries, your pedestrian accident lawyer near Wildwood, MO, must prove the following:
- The at-fault driver owed you a duty of care to drive their vehicle safely and legally.
- The driver breached their duty of care when they took an action that violated the duty of care.
- This breach of duty resulted in a pedestrian accident that injured you, and your injury caused economic and noneconomic damages.
Your Wildwood, MO Pedestrian Accident Lawyer | Missouri Injury Law Firm
The pedestrian accident lawyers at Missouri Injury Law have devoted their livelihoods to fighting for Wildwood, MO residents who have been injured due to a driver’s recklessness. We care about making sure that you and your family have little to worry about while we fight for maximum compensation for your Wildwood, MO injuries and damages. Read what our Wildwood, MO clients feel about our legal representation.